DARPA wants to terraform Mars. And parts of Earth

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

DARPA wants to terraform Mars. And parts of Earth

Postby Nordic » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:36 pm

What gets me the most about this article is the quote:

For the first time, we have the technological toolkit to transform not just hostile places here on Earth, but to go into space not just to visit, but to stay.

https://hacked.com/darpa-wants-create-s ... here-mars/

So WTF are they doing on Earth??

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) believes that it's on the way to creating synthetic organisms capable of terraforming Mars into a planet that looks more like Earth, Motherboard reports.

Speaking at a recent biotech conference hosted by DARPA, Alicia Jackson, deputy director of DARPA’s Biological Technologies Office (BTO) said:

For the first time, we have the technological toolkit to transform not just hostile places here on Earth, but to go into space not just to visit, but to stay.
Jackson, who joined DARPA in 2010, is a researcher specialized in the integration of engineering with biology to assemble cells and inorganic materials and create self-healing, evolvable materials. The BTO is a DARPA division that aims to merge biology, engineering, and computer science to harness the power of natural systems for national security. The BTO aims to develop new products and systems that go beyond what is possible with conventional chemistry and manufacturing technologies. BTO's Living Foundries program does research on how to leverage the unparalleled synthetic and functional capabilities of biology to create a revolutionary, biologically-based manufacturing platform.

Engineering Extremophile Organisms to Change the Atmosphere of Mars

Synthetic BiologyTerraforming Mars means hacking the red planet to make it suitable for the establishment of a terrestrial ecosystem and human life, and is a necessary prerequisite for the plans to colonize Mars that have been proposed by visionary thinkers like Robert Zubrin and entrepreneurs like Elon Musk. The terraforming process would need to warm-up and thicken the atmosphere of Mars, which can be accomplished with bacteria, algae and photosynthesizing plants specialized to thrive in the Mars environment.

Tweaking existing life forms to engineer new ones is the goal of advanced biotech and synthetic biology, but so far only two organisms - e. coli and yeast - have been used in synthetic biology research.

Jackson is more ambitious. "There are anywhere from 30 million to 30 billion organisms on this Earth. We use two right now for engineering biology," she said.

I want to use any organism that has properties I want - I want to quickly map it and quickly engineer it. If you look at genome annotation software today, it’s not built to quickly find engineerable systems. It’s built to look for an esoteric and interesting thing I can publish an academic paper on.
mars astronaut

Jackson and her team have been working on a software tool called GTA GView, or the "Google maps of genomes," which will allow geneticists to quickly search for the type of genetic material they need for an engineering project. As a result, they will be able to engineer organisms for much more specific purposes.

Future versions of the tool could could search for specific genes in organisms and know which ones to splice together for a specific purpose within a day. That would allow researchers to create extremophiles that could survive conditions in the extreme environment of Mars, and the photosynthesis from those organisms could make the planet habitable for humans.

It may seem odd that DARPA, an agency of the U.S. Department of Defense responsible for the development of emerging technologies for use by the military, does research aimed at the terraforming and colonization of Mars, but of course the same cutting edge research in synthetic biology could lead to increased process versatility and resiliency in a combat environment with extreme conditions.

Images from NASA and Shutterstock.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: DARPA wants to terraform Mars. And parts of Earth

Postby zangtang » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:58 pm

what could possibly go wrong?
zangtang

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:21 pm

Nordic » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:36 pm wrote:What gets me the most about this article is the quote:

https://hacked.com/darpa-wants-create-s ... here-mars/

So WTF are they doing on Earth??

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) believes that it's on the way to creating synthetic organisms capable of terraforming Mars into a planet that looks more like Earth, Motherboard reports.

Speaking at a recent biotech conference hosted by DARPA, Alicia Jackson, deputy director of DARPA’s Biological Technologies Office (BTO) said:

Jackson, who joined DARPA in 2010, is a researcher specialized in the integration of engineering with biology to assemble cells and inorganic materials and create self-healing, evolvable materials. The BTO is a DARPA division that aims to merge biology, engineering, and computer science to harness the power of natural systems for national security. The BTO aims to develop new products and systems that go beyond what is possible with conventional chemistry and manufacturing technologies. BTO's Living Foundries program does research on how to leverage the unparalleled synthetic and functional capabilities of biology to create a revolutionary, biologically-based manufacturing platform.

Engineering Extremophile Organisms to Change the Atmosphere of Mars

Synthetic BiologyTerraforming Mars means hacking the red planet to make it suitable for the establishment of a terrestrial ecosystem and human life, and is a necessary prerequisite for the plans to colonize Mars that have been proposed by visionary thinkers like Robert Zubrin and entrepreneurs like Elon Musk. The terraforming process would need to warm-up and thicken the atmosphere of Mars, which can be accomplished with bacteria, algae and photosynthesizing plants specialized to thrive in the Mars environment.

Tweaking existing life forms to engineer new ones is the goal of advanced biotech and synthetic biology, but so far only two organisms - e. coli and yeast - have been used in synthetic biology research.

Jackson is more ambitious. "There are anywhere from 30 million to 30 billion organisms on this Earth. We use two right now for engineering biology," she said.

I want to use any organism that has properties I want - I want to quickly map it and quickly engineer it. If you look at genome annotation software today, it’s not built to quickly find engineerable systems. It’s built to look for an esoteric and interesting thing I can publish an academic paper on.
mars astronaut

Jackson and her team have been working on a software tool called GTA GView, or the "Google maps of genomes," which will allow geneticists to quickly search for the type of genetic material they need for an engineering project. As a result, they will be able to engineer organisms for much more specific purposes.

Future versions of the tool could could search for specific genes in organisms and know which ones to splice together for a specific purpose within a day. That would allow researchers to create extremophiles that could survive conditions in the extreme environment of Mars, and the photosynthesis from those organisms could make the planet habitable for humans.

It may seem odd that DARPA, an agency of the U.S. Department of Defense responsible for the development of emerging technologies for use by the military, does research aimed at the terraforming and colonization of Mars, but of course the same cutting edge research in synthetic biology could lead to increased process versatility and resiliency in a combat environment with extreme conditions.

Images from NASA and Shutterstock.

I am on a major purge of shit I have been carrying around too long. one thing I am going through is a box of 90's Omnis and Discover that a friend gave to me for photocollage. One zine had a whole layout devoted to how Mars could be terraformed if they found the right structure to support it.

I guess Mars passed the interview.

But then, wherever you go , there you are.
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby zangtang » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:50 pm

you're not really going to throw out a stack of Omnis ??????

- dare i ask how many & whats the total weight?
zangtang

Postby zangtang » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:21 am

Thats a pile of treasure right there........think i remember a couple of those covers
- but can't be sure.....really interesting artwork for the main part - neither sci fi nor fantasy
but....otherworldly.
- always got a slight tingle leafing thru a new issue - then something changed
with magzine import duties or somesuch - & it became silly prices.

for years i kept what i believe was the 1st edition (indeterminate possibly concrete structure, mebe U.S. motorway sliproad (turnpike?)) all in blue and black
- which i then,like a fool, cut up (yup, for photo-collage material!!!)
- like to think that would now be worth a fortune - but so somewhere, i still have the page, that allegedly you could place on a tee, and iron the design onto the t-shirt :

'A spaceship just landed on earth -
it came from Rockwell International'

long, long time ago............................
zangtang

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:40 am

zangtang » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:21 am wrote:Thats a pile of treasure right there........think i remember a couple of those covers
- but can't be sure.....really interesting artwork for the main part - neither sci fi nor fantasy
but....otherworldly.

I think we have Frank DeVino to thank for that, it was his eye in selecting individual artists for the magazine and providing direction. The art was a real postmodern reaction to science fiction, psychedelia, modernism, and that sort of Pythonesque neo-Victorianism that dominated editorial illustration in the 70s. When I was tracing the history of design here I could see a very clear direction, why designers and artists wanted to try new things and how they were trying it. Creating a "new wave" visually and looking to the future with their airbrushes and dayglo inks.

It's worth noting that the typeface used, Futura Extra Bold Condensed, was originally cut in the 30s, albeit in a slightly different fashion.
It fits so well with Omni and most people associate it with the late 70s or 80s, despite it being actually timeless.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby zangtang » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:04 pm

would you look at this ! - clever boy didnt cut his up

http://blog.dave.org.uk/2011/07/a-space ... earth.html

sorry, drifted somewhat from Mars but er....space !
zangtang

Postby Nordic » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:10 pm

Wow. That brings back some memories. Every single one of those covers is also archived in my brain apparently.

Used to love that magazine.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:01 pm

zangtang » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:21 am wrote:Thats a pile of treasure right there........think i remember a couple of those covers
but....otherworldly.
- always got a slight tingle leafing thru a new issue - then something changed
with magzine import duties or somesuch - & it became silly prices.

for years i kept what i believe was the 1st edition (indeterminate possibly concrete structure, mebe U.S. motorway sliproad (turnpike?)) all in blue and black
- which i then,like a fool, cut up (yup, for photo-collage material!!!)
- like to think that would now be worth a fortune - but so somewhere, i still have the page, that allegedly you could place on a tee, and iron the design onto the t-shirt :

'A spaceship just landed on earth -
it came from Rockwell International'

long, long time ago............................

I cut up the best ones decades ago. Someone gave me a boxfull of the originals back around 92 and they have largely become, for lack of better words, ritual objects, although I think i have some of the grooviest meditational mandalas around...when I am practicing which is rare nowadays unfortunately :eeyaa ...I have maybe a dozen or so intact mid nineties I got from another friend. I have stamps and can ship them in the US, PM me if you want them (after the kid gets to read them of course).
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby zangtang » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:36 pm

briefly - would love them! - fantastic 'displacement activity'!, but as suspected postage costs to UK makes prohibitive......
- would advise you keep for hear-rending wistful reading material on what might have been, come the big damage looming shortly!
zangtang

Return to General Discussion