The Murder of Cecil the Lion

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Murder of Cecil the Lion

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:22 am

What a disgusting story. I hope that dentist (WALT PALMER) gets extradited to Zimbabwe and stands trial.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ntist.html

I'm sure most have already heard of this, but beware looking at any story, you will see disturbing photos of WALT PALMER kneeling and smiling after the crime. Then he cut Cecil's head off to take back to Minnesota.

Dr Andrew Loveridge, one of the principal researchers on the project, told the publication that Cecil and another male lion named Jericho led two prides with six lionesses and a dozen young cubs, and he feared for the safety of the cubs now Cecil had been killed.

"Jericho as a single male will be unable to defend the two prides and cubs from new males that invade the territory. This is what we most often see happening in these cases. Infanticide is the most likely outcome," he said.

Fucking dick. I hope you, WALT PALMER rot for the rest of your days.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Murder of Cecil the Lion

Postby km artlu » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:44 am

I hear you 82. This horror provokes a unique quality of rage in me.

I looked into the story as much as I could handle and came away with one ultimate point of clarity. These people, these sick fucks, rely on a specific con to mask their true nature.

It is the claim that their slaughter supports conservation, etc. Oh yeah? You want to support wildlife and habitat? Mail a check for the amount you spend on this macabre 'sport' to those who struggle to preserve what is left. Pass on the safari, dipshit.

No - what they're about is the killing, pure and simple, these beefy prosperous assholes of the developed world. I had to bail after encountering the smarmy assertion that mounting the trophies "honors these magnificent blah blah".

Good old boys in my area hunt deer and they and their friends and family eat all the venison. It's my understanding that Eastern U.S. deer populations need culling for the ultimate health of the species. I'm not fully informed, but I do believe that these people channel their desire for the thrill of the hunt in a reasonably ethical manner.

But this - I'd like to believe that the only reason societies tolerate it is because of the aforementioned conservation spin, which is transparently illogical. Once again the not-too-bright and the self-interested enable those who would do evil.
km artlu

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:21 am

I bet he used this "service". A taxidermy service in Zimbabwe called Trophy Consultants International:

http://www.tci.co.zw/
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

raving anti-dentite

Postby IanEye » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:33 am

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:13 am

He paid $55,000 to become the most hated man in the western world (only because I haven't heard the responses from the rest of it). :wallhead: There's nothing so heartwarming as someone in the medical field who enjoys killing just to satisfy their ego. I hope he loses everything he has including his hunting trophy collection. It's way past time for these countries to realize their wildlife is more valuable alive. It is absolutely heartbreaking, and what can I do except sign a petition. :(
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Luposapien » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:31 am

It is technically true that the hunting of deer in the US is necessary in order to protect their habitat from being over grazed, which can in turn lead to even greater losses from starvation. However, it's important to note that this is almost entirely due to the systematic elimination of virtually all of their natural predators, notably wolves.
Luposapien

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:49 am

Last night I read through a few pages of his yelp reviews and the dude is being lit up by the entire Earth. Nobody online seems to be defending him. Even hunters. I know a hunter or two and this would disgust them.
82_28

Postby NeonLX » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:41 am

Throw this fucker to the lions. I mean literally.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:46 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spea ... was-legal/

As the outrage continued to howl over the hunting death of one of Africa's most iconic lions, two Zimbabwean men who allegedly received $50,000 from the American tourist who killed Cecil the lion arrived in court to face charges related to the illegal hunt, Reuters reported.

Professional hunter Theo Bronchorst and land owner Honest Trymore Bronchorst are being charged with poaching after allegedly tying a dead animal to a vehicle to lure the beloved lion outside of a national park so that American Walter James Palmer could kill him, the Associated Press reported.

The two Zimbabwean men appeared at the Hwange magistrate’s court on Wednesday, according to the AP.

Palmer, officials say, shot Cecil with a bow and arrow, but didn't kill him. After tracking the lion for about 40 hours, Palmer is alleged to have killed the 13-year-old animal with a gun. Cecil was then beheaded and skinned.

[The death of Cecil the lion and the big business of big game trophy hunting]

Zimbabwean authorities said that Palmer, a dentist from Minnesota, could face charges as well; he has been accused by wildlife officials of killing Cecil without a permit, Reuters reported.

“We'll see how it plays out,” Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management spokeswoman Caroline Washaya-Moyo told The Post on Tuesday. She added that professional hunters and land owners typically first face charges in such cases.

Palmer, who has reportedly left Zimbabwe, said Tuesday that "I deeply regret" having killed "a known, local favorite" and said he may have been misled by his hunting guides.

“I hired several professional guides, and they secured all proper permits,” read a statement from Palmer to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “To my knowledge, everything about this trip was legal and properly handled and conducted.”

He added: “I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt. I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt. I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion."

Palmer said he hasn't been contacted by American or Zimbabwean officials "but will assist them in any inquires they may have."

Cecil, believed to have been killed July 1, was one of Africa's most famous lions and lived in the massive Hwange National Park.

“It is alleged that the hunter connived with the Antoinette land owner, Mr. Honest Trymore Ndlovu to kill the lion,” read a joint statement from the parks service and the Safari Operators Association. “Ongoing investigations to date suggest that the killing of the lion was illegal since the land owner was not allocated a lion on his hunting quota for 2015. Therefore, all persons implicated in this case are due to appear in court facing poaching charges.”

The 13-year-old lion’s death on private land outside of the park's boundary was condemned by the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association and set off a wave of international outrage that centered on Palmer after he was named in connection to the hunt.

Angry commenters have inundated the Yelp and Google Review pages for Palmer's dental practice, and he has been vilified across social media, as #CecilTheLion became a top worldwide trending topic on Twitter.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Nordic » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:10 am

While I am just as sickened and outraged as anyone over this, I find it odd how humans can be so cavalier about slaughtering other humans.

Imagine if we had killed a million Cecil the Lions in Iraq. Instead of, you know, mere humans.

Or if we had blown up entire prides of lions with drone strikes instead of wedding parties of people, families and children.

Hundreds of children slaughtered in Palestine and people shrug. Imagine if they were cute puppies instead.

Seriously I don't understand this.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby coffin_dodger » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:15 am

All good for a 2015 'five minute hate'.

This could be seen to make endangered species hunting even more exciting and exotic to those with a penchant for it.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:28 am

Nordic » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:10 am wrote:Or if we had blown up entire prides of lions with drone strikes instead of wedding parties of people, families and children.

Hundreds of children slaughtered in Palestine and people shrug. Imagine if they were cute puppies instead.

Human beings are objectively less beautiful and important than lions. Same goes for elephants, whales, lot of other mammals.

All of which are going extinct.

Meanwhile, 10 billion humans by 2100. At least.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:35 am

Nordic » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:10 am wrote:While I am just as sickened and outraged as anyone over this, I find it odd how humans can be so cavalier about slaughtering other humans.

Imagine if we had killed a million Cecil the Lions in Iraq. Instead of, you know, mere humans.

Or if we had blown up entire prides of lions with drone strikes instead of wedding parties of people, families and children.

Well, you're preaching to the choir here, as you know, Nordic. I would imagine much of the commentary across the Earth are also anti-war like us. Perhaps it takes something like this to wake everyone up. War comes with a great deal of propaganda and hype and that it's for our own good type shit.
82_28

Postby NaturalMystik » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:29 pm

If there is anything to the concepts of group prayer, global consciousness, karma... I almost feel bad for what this guy has coming to him. He has a huge global target on him right now, and a hate on like I've never seen before...
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Postby Searcher08 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:07 pm

NaturalMystik » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:29 pm wrote:If there is anything to the concepts of group prayer, global consciousness, karma... I almost feel bad for what this guy has coming to him. He has a huge global target on him right now, and a hate on like I've never seen before...

He has nearly 7000 reviews of his dental practice at Yelp. They are not very flattering.
He also paid $120,000 over a long term sexual harrassment case over his first co-worker.

In some ways he seems to embody on a micro, personal level what the USA foriegn policy looks like writ large...engage in corrupt practices in Third World Countries, wrap it in a flag of legality, business and blame deflection - the underlying quest being the destruction of natural resources because one has a great deal of a deadly cocktail of massive amounts of money and a total entitlement to engage in Pay-Per-Kill.
Searcher08

Next

Return to General Discussion