Leonard Cohen, Operative? (Ann Diamond material)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Leonard Cohen, Operative? (Ann Diamond material)

Postby lunarmoth » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:00 pm

That must be why I keep forgetting it. The best things in life swim away from us.
"We come from France"
lunarmoth

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby lunarmoth » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:31 pm

On a related topic: http://gardenhealingchurch.org/2015/11/ ... as-adults/

Blogger Jean Eisenhower (great niece of the President) comes from an elite American background and underwent MKULTRA mind control, which she describes in her memoir RATTLESNAKE FIRE - a . fascinating read.

In it, she tells of being inducted into an exclusive sorority and participating in beauty contests - a rite of passage that led ever upward. She was told if she joined "Everything you do will succeed." Rings a bell, doesnt it? She chose to go her own way and paid a heavy price. I think the payoff, if it comes, is in consciousness. ..
"We come from France"
lunarmoth

Postby lunarmoth » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:48 am

Kelley Lynch reviews The Man Next Door

Goodreads
Search My Books

Odzer Chenma rated a book 5 of 5 stars
22 days ago
The Man Next Door by Ann Diamond
The Man Next Door
by Ann Diamond (Goodreads Author)
Read
Read in October 2015
The Man Next Door immediately throws one into the late 1960s – poetry readings, student uprisings, Bistros and Montreal bars, the tragic deaths of Janis Joplin and Jimi Hentrix, and Canadian armed forces occupying Montreal triggered by the kidnappings of a provincial cabinet minister and a British diplomat by members of the Front de Libération du Québec (FLQ). Magic was indeed afoot! This is the historical moment Ann Diamond’s book immediately propels one into. The Montreal Bistros and bars were hangouts for intellectuals, artists, journalists and drunks. Leonard Cohen and Pierre Trudeau were regulars. In the summer of 1977, Montreal was in the midst of rather shocking revelations about doctors, psychiatric patients and classified experiments, some of which were attributed to CIA’s MKULTRA Program, in articles appearing in the local press. The brilliant and flamboyant Tibetan Buddhist teacher, Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, was also part of this dynamic landscape.

Ann’s first fleeting encounter with Leonard Cohen occurred one night in the midst of these radical and romantic times. She describes Cohen as a mythical figure in her youthful revolutionary dreams. His books were sacred texts. The encounter left Ann feeling as though she was floating above her “occupied city like Kateri Tekakwitha, at one with all the Mohawks and other disembodied saints.” She prophetically sensed that she might run into Leonard Cohen again. A number of years later, Ann Diamond would find herself sitting at Leonard Cohen’s kitchen table asking if he recalled their first fleeting encounter. By that time, Cohen was a celebrated international figure who had just released an album produced by Phil Spector.

Cohen rang Ann up and introduced himself in typically witty fashion: “Hello Ann? This is Leonard Cohen. We have to stop meeting like this.” Ann’s first evening with Leonard Cohen left her dazed and delirious. A mutual friend had provided Cohen with her phone number. I immediately recognized the familiar phrases used by Leonard Cohen and could literally visualize him jumping in the air and asking “The girl with the bicycle? How tall is she?”

Having spent nearly 20 years working as Cohen’s personal manager, I had grown quite familiar with his speech, phraseology, and frequently eccentric behavior. I also know Cohen’s taste in women and understood why he found the youthful, spirited, and adventurous Ann Diamond so compelling. Over the years, I had come to know of Ann through Leonard Cohen. I understood her to be an old girlfriend who had remained friends with him throughout the years. The descriptions of Cohen’s home, encounters with his Montreal crowd, the Swiss bank book tucked away in a drawer, Joshu Sasaki Roshi, smoked meat, gifts, poetry books, Persian rugs, trinkets, religious chatchka, personal notes, Hydra, tales about CIA and the MKULTRA program, meth and LSD experimentation, mental hospitals and suicides also resonated.

While most biographies devoted to Leonard Cohen consist of impersonal or sanitized third party accounts that are dripping with awe and admiration, Ann’s biography is personal, revealing, and touches upon Cohen’s darker side which a friend of hers described when he cautioned her: “Be very careful of that guy. He's totally ruthless when it comes to women.” Leonard Cohen’s ruthlessness is invisible to anyone who bases their perceptions of him on the description of a sage-like individual whose speech is littered with profound expressions and cleverly crafted quotes. It is nevertheless an essential component of his private persona. Ann herself could not connect her friend’s remark to the man who appeared to be an “eccentric saint,” devoted son, and exceptional artist who associated with a rather odd assortment of neurotic friends. Cohen’s personal life is tortured and up close resembles a controlled disaster area. Leonard Cohen also understands his own nature. When Ann asks “But are you trustworthy?” he responds “No.”

Cohen’s public persona has a cultivated Europeanized air to it that leads one to conclude that he is humble, wise, calm, dignified, deeply spiritual, and in possession of courtly manners. Privately, Cohen is lonely and bitter as he confessed to Ann. This too resonated because I recall Cohen’s seething anger and resentment. (The book’s mention of the arrest of Suzanne Elrod made me wonder if Leonard Cohen was personally involved. For years, he had told me that his housekeeper’s husband, then Chief of Police on Hydra, had arrested Suzanne over a minor marijuana incident. It was hard to imagine Evangalia and Coulis being involved in something that extreme without Cohen’s permission.)

Ann’s relationship with Leonard Cohen would eventually land her on the Isle of Hydra where Cohen mingled with Greek peasants, millionaires, tourists, and had experimented with LSD and meth. I frequently heard Cohen’s stories about these experiences, drunken binges, CIA agents and other spies at Bill’s Bar, and how he wrote “Beautiful Losers” on LSD while visiting Hydra. In 1979 Ann had received a small writing grant from the Canada Council and decided to extend her trip to Greece, partly due to Cohen’s imminent arrival. Cohen was viewed as a God on Hydra while in Montreal his reputation was one of an eccentric failure. In the United States, Cohen was largely unknown although his work with Phil Spector led to numerous mentions of him in articles and news media accounts.

Ann’s book intimately recounts Cohen’s relationship with the muses and women in his life as well as his relationship with his young children, Lorca and Adam. Ann also had an opportunity to accompany Leonard Cohen on his 1979 UK tour and experienced the sordid world of alcohol-filled performances and an intense cult following. Ultimately, Ann’s experiences with Cohen led her to question her own sanity and emotions. She wondered if she was “entering a schizophrenic’s world where nothing was stable or straightforward, and where ordinary reality constantly erupted with subconscious material from who-knows-what source.” Five cities and six concerts later, Ann concluded that “Leonard was schizophrenic.”

Ann Diamond was a naïve, young woman in love with Leonard Cohen and felt that she could save him from himself. A sense his other, illicit relationships comes across. By the end of their relationship, Leonard Cohen would use his toolkit of tactics to attack, silence, frighten, and discredit Ann. It was clear that Cohen had exposed her to his personal world, which is both seductive and disturbing, and when he felt she questioned his conduct, he set out to destroy her.

This is not the type of biography fans of Leonard Cohen’s will readily embrace. It is far too naked and poignant. Ann Diamond is a very brave woman who has experienced and tangled with the man who wrestles with the angel and the beast. I applaud her courage and honesty.

Kelley Lynch
Unlike Comment Like: 1 Comment: 1
Ann Diamond With Justin Trudeau now sitting as Prime Minister, like the re-enactment of his famous father, this review seems very timely. Are we doomed to repeat the sixties, follow leaders, stumble blindly on? Or will we wake from our engineered dream?

Big thanks to Kelley Lynch for reading and responding to The Man Next Door!
21 days ago

Write a comment...
© 2015 Goodreads, Inc. ·
"We come from France"
lunarmoth

Postby guruilla » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:27 pm

Nice review. Any change in Lynch's circumstances?
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby lunarmoth » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:04 pm

I don't see how much can change. She's up against an iron clad myth. I appreciate her insights since she is a world-class expert on LC. It's unbelievable how she was treated in the press. I don't know how you recover from that kind of abuse. The courts are not going to reverse the verdict. The only way to undo what's been done is to being out the facts - as they tried to do with Lord Jenner
.. who is a distant cousin of Cohen's by the way.
"We come from France"
lunarmoth

Postby norton ash » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:31 pm

Whatever else poetry is freedom.
Forget the rhetoric, the trick of lying
All poets pick up sooner or later. From the river,
Rising like the thin voice of grey castratos - the mist;
Poplars and pines grow straight but oaks are gnarled;
Old codgers must speak of death, boys break windows,
Women lie honestly by their men at last.

And I who gave my Kate a blackened eye
Did to its vivid changing colours
Make up an incredible musical scale;
And now I balance on wooden stilts and dance
And thereby sing to the loftiest casements.
See how with polish I bow from the waist.
Space for these stilts! More space or I fail!

So I guess you're saying you punched her.

Some things tend toward 'all's fair in love and drinking.' Some things are better forgotten. But reflection on the rainbow evolution of a wound is just perverse.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby guruilla » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Yeah, disturbing as possible example of using art to expiate sin. @lunarmoth: any idea who Kate was?

Re: Kelley Lynch, she is struggling for justice, is she not? So then one way or another I would think that change would be inevitable, albeit not necessarily the desired sort.
guruilla

Postby guruilla » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:39 pm

Cohen's lawyer and harassment agent Peter Stephen Gianelli just posted at my blog; interesting that it happened immediately after I was asking about Kelley Lynch here (the blog post being two months old).
Last edited by guruilla on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
guruilla

Postby lunarmoth » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:08 am

A COUPLE OF CORRECTIONS:

It's Stephen Gianelli, not Peter.
That's an Irving Layton poem, and "Kate" probably is a reference to Taming of the Shrew.
I guess you're being monitored.
"We come from France"
lunarmoth

Postby guruilla » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:43 am

lunarmoth » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:08 am wrote:I guess you're being monitored.

guruilla

Postby lunarmoth » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:53 pm

Empty space. Fill with anything you fancy.
Last edited by lunarmoth on Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We come from France"
lunarmoth

Postby lunarmoth » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:45 pm

What I really meant to ask was: which characters in the climactic scene from Scarface (posted above) do you most identify with?

The Italian gangster on the verge of extinction, or his Transhuman Terminator?
"We come from France"
lunarmoth

Postby guruilla » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:27 pm

I sort of wish I'd been ballsy enough to ask what sex with LC was like, but actually what I asked was whether he seduced you.

It never occurred to me to identify with Tony's killer; I identify with the raw cojones of meeting a world of hostility like that. Mostly I just find the scene funny, at least when it's taken out of the context of a pulp-Hollywood macho fantasy.
guruilla

Postby Lord Balto » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:32 pm

Kelley Lynch and Ann Diamond interviews:

Kelley Lynch and Paulette Brandt interviews:
Lord Balto

Postby Lord Balto » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:10 pm

Cohen at McGill, 1951.
Lord Balto

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion