TRUMP is seriously dangerous

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: TRUMP is seriously dangerous

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:14 pm

don't ya know Obama vetted Flynn and Trump was just taking the previous foreign Kenyan pretend president's word on what a swell guy Gen. Yellowkerk was when he hired him as HEAD OF THE NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL!!

that was after Obama administration FIRED Gen. Yellowkerk

I know everyone hates the U.S. government let's say we give Putin a chance at running things...what could go wrong?

we can't have these two loose their sugar daddy can we?

82_28 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:56 pm wrote:
JackRiddler » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:50 pm wrote:
Karmamatterz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:48 am wrote:What is worse: Trump or the Patriot Act?

Which has had a more long lasting impact on our constitutional rights?

You know I'm sick of you people not giving President Trump a chance.

Did you forget to put that in green?
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Karmamatterz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:48 am wrote:What is worse: Trump or the Patriot Act?

Why? Besides that I don't believe in putting anything in green? I'm serious.

The Trump administration has barely had a chance to destroy rights in America, constitutional or otherwise, or even to commit mayhem elsewhere. It's a very unfair comparison on karmamatterz's part. I think in terms of policy direction, rhetorical flourish and actual achievements, they are doing very well within the mere 100 day window.

True, predecessors have set some pretty daunting records of mass atrocity to exceed, and the opposition has shown unusual energy so far (if enough of them can just stop humping the carcass of their Russian fantasy). But beyond the simple trampling of Americans' rights, or the rights of sub-Americans globally if we are to care about them, let us consider the set-up for wealth plunder ops on behalf of the 0.01% now being rolled out. Or the awesome moves to just flat-out demolish the basis for human life on earth. No one's ever had as strong a start on either, I dare say. They have also been very impressive in the area of cultural defoliation uprooting the very hope of informed knowledge -- very innovative! Tremendous. A player to watch. He's just getting bigger and bigger. Good friend of mine.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:31 pm

I do it only when I think I could potentially offend. Anyway, I hear you.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Heaven Swan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:03 pm

"When IT reigns, I’m poor.” Mario
Heaven Swan

Postby minime » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:43 pm

When I give him any thought, I wonder about our President, but what I worry about is who he might be preparing us for.

When I give it any thought.

As you were.
minime

Postby 82_28 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:08 pm

seemslikeadream » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:14 pm wrote:don't ya know Obama vetted Flynn and Trump was just taking the previous foreign Kenyan pretend president's word on what a swell guy Gen. Yellowkerk was when he hired him as HEAD OF THE NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL!!

that was after Obama administration FIRED Gen. Yellowkerk

I know everyone hates the U.S. government let's say we give Putin a chance at running things...what could go wrong?

we can't have these two loose their sugar daddy can we?

I once delivered a shit ton of pizza to a débutante ball and I had never seen such a thing. But most striking was the looks on their faces. Exactly like that picture. It was the most otherworldly thing I had ever seen. Just a little north of where I lived. There was a whole 'nuther society I had never noticed. I don't think they tipped me either. It was like 50 pizzas. Might have been 25 or something, but it was a big order to a very strange place.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Asta » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:25 pm

I do believe that Ivanka's nipples are erect in that photo. Daddy must be a really good kisser. \<]
Asta

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:12 pm

Asta » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:25 pm wrote:I do believe that Ivanka's nipples are erect in that photo. Daddy must be a really good kisser. \<]

Please. There are many reasons why that might be so. Just don't evoke these images. Thank you.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby semper occultus » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:24 pm

....BBC ( hopefully not blocked ) radio link -

Trump at Studio 54

Frances Stonor-Saunders explores how the young Donald Trump stormed into Manhattan from the outer boroughs in the late 1970s and headed straight for New York's most outrageous nightclub. He didn't dance, didn't drink, and didn't take drugs. So what was he doing in the cocaine-fuelled hothouse of the Disco revolution? And what was the link to Roy Cohn, infamous attack dog of the McCarthy era, go-to Attorney for the Mob and the man Trump was happy to call his mentor?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mb1gb
semper occultus

Postby norton ash » Mon May 01, 2017 3:26 pm

Oh, maaaan.... Jackson died in 1845. Why WAS there a Civil War anyway? Class?

TRUMP: I mean, had Andrew Jackson been a little later, you wouldn't have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart. And he was really angry that -- he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War. He said, “There's no reason for this.” People don't realize, you know, the Civil War — if you think about it, why? People don't ask that question, but why was there the Civil War? Why could that one not have been worked out?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... a7f4089912
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby The Consul » Mon May 01, 2017 5:06 pm

If I had been later, you know, I could have stopped Ripley from getting that alien inside her. Was she hot or what? Good alien, great horror, not my thing but, it made a fortune. But I could have, me, I could have stopped that. But I can’t tell you how, have to keep you guessing. But I could. You know why? Because of coal. I’ve learned a lot from the coal miners. And we are going to have clean coal, let me tell you it is going to be sooooo cleeeaaaan. See, I could have saved Ripley, believe me, and the Aliens, well you know, I’m tough of aliens. I could have, or who knows, maybe I will. Ripley, hot, very hot, not saying she’s my type, maybe an 8, almost but not quite. But those panties, did you see that? It’s hard for me, it’s like women are falling out of the sky. But I know Hollywood, some vicious people, but good people, deal makers, like me. They are my friends, good friends. Some of them I actually met before they died, and I know how to make friends. People like me. What’s not to like? I’m smart. We’re working on time travel, I can’t tell you when it will happen. But it will be soon, believe me. Would you like some coke?
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby peartreed » Mon May 01, 2017 10:35 pm

The international impact of Trump has been to diminish the stature, respect and support of the United States and, particularly, the man and the office of President.

Nowhere has his negative impact been felt more viscerally than in Canada, where our most important trading partner and neighbor has recently turned into our loudest critic, with its blathering mouthpiece now publicly declaring our traditional cross-border trade as unfair.

Punitive American protectionism is now impeding trade in steel, milk and softwood lumber. The entire North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) is up for renegotiation by the self-proclaimed “dealmaker” who now threatens its cancellation if the result isn’t to his liking. And vital trading isn’t the only issue.

Travel and tourism from Canada to the USA are significantly down, especially since the attempted discriminatory policies on customs and immigration have increased fear, uncertainty and insecurity at the borders for Canada’s multicultural population. Increased civil unrest in the states also dissuades visitors to formerly friendly, warmer and welcoming holiday destinations.

Business travel is also reduced as our bilateral economic prosperity comes under serious threat. The markets are illustrating the downturn in mutual confidence.

Our shared mass media is also reflecting the loss in morale and confidence in the future as everyday news coverage continues to reflect Trump’s divisive, impulsive and ill-informed declarations. Ignorance of our longstanding relationship prevails.

Canada is being treated again as the historical, stereotypical “hewers of wood and drawers of water” – the biblical bondsmen of Joshua 9:21, not the brother nation.

As long as America allows an ignoramus to occupy the presidency ours will not be the only allied nation to start seeking alternative, more reliable, intelligent and productive relationships. The Canadian economy, culture and national pride require it. While identity politics paint us as laissez-faire, there’s a limit to tolerance.

None will ever replace the USA, but we await the return of reason and respect between brothers across the world’s longest undefended border. It starts at the top.
peartreed

Postby Blue » Tue May 02, 2017 7:59 am

peartreed wrote:Travel and tourism from Canada to the USA are significantly down, especially since the attempted discriminatory policies on customs and immigration have increased fear, uncertainty and insecurity at the borders for Canada’s multicultural population. Increased civil unrest in the states also dissuades visitors to formerly friendly, warmer and welcoming holiday destinations.

Another factor is the widespread crumbling landscape in the US. Outside of the few high-priced bubble resort areas America looks like a 3rd world country. The American Society of Civil Engineers’ Report Card for America’s Infrastructure gave it a D+ this year. And that doesn't include the rotted out malls in cities, empty storefronts in towns, trash piling up on roadsides and blighted neighborhoods spreading like viruses.

Who wants to vacation in a dump?

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/
Blue

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue May 02, 2017 9:03 am

Why did Trump invite a murderous autocrat to the White House? Follow the money.
https://thinkprogress.org/why-did-trump ... 60bb6a88a0

The $150 Million Manila Trump Tower and a Murdering Dictator’s White House Invitation
http://www.triplepundit.com/2017/05/150 ... nvitation/

Trump's dizzying day of interviews
Comments on Civil War, big banks and Kim Jong Un perplex aides, historians.
By JOSH DAWSEY 05/01/17 09:24 PM EDT

President Donald Trump questioned why the Civil War— which erupted 150 years ago over slavery — needed to happen. He said he would be "honored" to meet with Kim Jong-Un, the violent North Korean dictator who is developing nuclear missiles and oppresses his people, under the "right circumstances."

The president floated, and backed away from, a tax on gasoline. Trump said he was "looking at" breaking up the big banks, sending the stock market sliding. He seemed to praise Philippines strongman President Rodrigo Duterte for his high approval ratings. He promised changes to the Republican health care bill, though he has seemed unsure what was in the legislation, even as his advisers whipped votes for it.

And Monday still had nine hours to go.

"It seems to be among the most bizarre recent 24 hours in American presidential history," said Douglas Brinkley, a presidential historian. "It was all just surreal disarray and a confused mental state from the president."

The interviews — published by Bloomberg, Face the Nation and the SiriusXM radio network — seemed timed to the president's 100-day mark but contained a dizzying amount of news, even for a president who often makes news in stream-of-consciousness comments. Trump's advisers have at times tried to curb his media appearances, worried he will step on his message. "They were not helpful to us," one senior administration official said. "There was no point to do all of them."

White House officials said privately there was no broader strategy behind the interviews. GOP strategists and Capitol Hill aides were puzzled by it all. "I have no idea what they view as a successful media hit," said one senior GOP consultant with close ties to the administration. "He just seemed to go crazy today," a senior GOP aide said.

Trump's comments questioning the need for the Civil War, aired Monday afternoon, seemed to disregard history and downplay slavery, several historians said.

"Why couldn't that one have been worked out?" Trump told SiriusXM, praising Andrew Jackson, who he said would have stopped the war had he still been alive.

The Civil War was largely fought over slavery and its expansion, with Southern states saying they had a right to have slaves and secede from the union. Trump has been compared to Jackson, most prominently by Stephen Bannon, his chief strategist. Trump again praised Jackson on Twitter Monday night saying he saw the war coming. Jackson died years earlier.

"White supremacists, lost causers, states-rights activists could latch onto this,” said David Blight, a Civil War historian at Yale University. “I don’t know if Trump even knows he’s doing it. You can be too ignorant to know you’re ignorant.”

Trump broke with longstanding precedent by telling Bloomberg he would consider a meeting with the North Korean president. The United States has no ties with North Korea and the country has repeatedly tried to fire missiles and build up a stockpile to harm the United States. Recently, the country posted video of the country sending a missile into the White House, blowing it up.

Later in the day, Trump said "none of us are safe," mentioning North Korea. Spicer defended the president's words, crediting the dictator for "assuming power at an early age, and he led his country forward." Other advisers said the meeting would only happen if the president changed his ways, an unlikely scenario, and noted that Trump has criticized the North Korean leader. But Spicer's comments struck many as almost praising the North Korean president.

"I would not say Kim III has moved the country forward," Jay Nordlinger, an editor at the conservative National Review wrote on Twitter. "Why is the presidential spokesman talking like this? Are we America?"

Trump's comments on the big banks to Bloomberg would be favored by Democrats and seemed to take Wall Street officials by surprise. Stock markets immediately slid. Several people close to Trump noted he often uses the phrase “looking at" when asked about a position where he's unfamiliar or doesn't have a definitive answer he wants to give. Spicer later declined to say Trump would do it.

Trump also told Bloomberg he would consider a gas tax — a policy proposal often favored by Democrats — that drew fire from conservative groups more aligned with his agenda, like Club for Growth. The idea even seemed to even take Democrats by surprise, with Sen. Charles Schumer, the Minority Leader, declining to comment. A senior administration official said the idea of a gas tax "had not been seriously proposed by anyone in the White House."

"He did not express support," Spicer said later, adding he was only considering the idea because industry executives asked him to do so.

Trump surprised senior Hill Republicans later Monday by also telling Bloomberg that his proposed health law was likely to change, even as his advisers furiously tried to get votes for the current bill. Some wondered if he was just referring to the bill changing in the Senate, which is widely expected, if it passes the House. Two senior administration officials said there were no big changes coming to the House of Representatives text and that they weren't exactly sure what he was saying. Republican legislators were still seeking guidance from the White House Monday night, officials said.

He also lauded Duterte, the leader in the Philippines, who is notorious for ruling with an iron fist, for being popular. Trump has often praised other rulers who are strong and have high approval ratings, using "famous" and "strong" as high compliments.

"You know he's very popular in the Philippines," Trump said of Duterte, who he praised for getting rid of drugs.

Duterte’s methods for cracking down on drugs, which have included condoning of extrajudicial killings, have drawn scorn from human rights groups and other observers of his record.

The comments took politicians of both parties — and some of his aides — by surprise. They came after Trump had earlier surprised foreign policy experts with a "very friendly" conversation with Duterte on Saturday night, and an invitation to visit the White House. Duterte has not accepted and said he might be too busy to come.

“This is a man who has boasted publicly about killing his own citizens,” Sen. Ben Cardin, a Democrat, said. “The United States is unique in the world because our values — respect for human rights, respect for the rule of law — are our interests. Ignoring human rights will not advance U.S. interests in the Philippines or any place else. Just the opposite.”

Spicer was asked if Trump was "briefed" on Duterte's human rights record. "The president gets fully briefed," he said, not elaborating.

Finally, Trump's mantra of "never retreat-never surrender" was revived by John Dickerson of "Face the Nation," who asked if the president stood by his claims that Obama was a "bad (or sick) guy!" for allegedly tapping his phones in Trump Tower. That claim is unsubstantiated.

"I don't stand by anything," Trump said,before adding: "I think our side's been proven very strongly."

Later, Spicer said Trump fully stood by his comments on Obama.

Pushed by Dickerson, Trump walked away, ending the interview and going back to his desk.

"OK it's enough," he said. "Thank you. Thank you very much."
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/0 ... rea-237859

Historians see a dark underside to Trump's Civil War riff
By MATTHEW NUSSBAUM 05/01/17 07:26 PM EDT Updated 05/01/17 09:41 PM EDT

President Donald Trump on Monday once again defied the history books, this time claiming that Andrew Jackson was “really angry” about the Civil War – despite having died 16 years before the first shots were fired – and puzzled why a deal wasn’t cut to avoid the war altogether.

“He was really angry that he saw with regard to the Civil War, he said, ‘There’s no reason for this,’” Trump said in a radio interview with conservative writer Salena Zito broadcast Monday.

“The Civil War, if you think about it, why? People don’t ask the question but why was there the Civil War? Why could that one not have been worked out?” Trump added.

Trump for months has riled up history buffs with a range of eyebrow-raising comments, including his claim that not many people knew Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, his apparent ignorance that famed abolitionist Frederick Douglass died many years ago, and his question about whether anyone had heard of Susan B. Anthony.

And the fact that he didn’t seem to be aware of the extensive literature about the cause of the Civil War is now added to the list.

“It’s probably the most hotly debated issue in American history,” said historian Charles B. Dew, a professor at Williams College, who wrote a landmark 2001 book, "Apostles of Disunion," on the causes of the war.

The president's comments on Monday struck some historians as darker than a history goof, with the president seeming to minimize the painful history of slavery in the United States and to talk up Jackson’s role as a strongman leader who proudly owned many slaves.

“It’s the kind of comment that will get applause from neo-Confederate circles in the South,” said Douglas Brinkley, a presidential historian at Rice University.

Confederate flags were a common sight at Trump rallies during the 2016 campaign, and monuments to Confederate leaders are common in Southern states.

Some in Trump’s circle, including chief strategist Steve Bannon, have sought to liken Trump to Jackson, a populist. In March, Trump visited Jackson’s gravesite in Nashville, Tennessee, where he declared himself “a fan.”

“Steve Bannon has made Jackson the epitome of the hardscrabble, American folk hero,” added Brinkley. “And Trump has bought into Steve Bannon’s version of Andrew Jackson.”

On Monday night, the president tweeted: “President Andrew Jackson, who died 16 years before the Civil War started, saw it coming and was angry. Would never have let it happen!“

Jackson, who was a slaveholder, threatened to use federal military force against South Carolina when the state sought to nullify federal tariffs. He died in 1845, 16 years before the Civil War erupted at Fort Sumter.

“What I saw in that comment was his belief, his attraction to a kind of strongman history,” said David Blight, a Civil War historian at Yale University. “It’s so completely out of any knowledge or context to suggest that somehow Jackson would have headed off the Civil War.”

The broad consensus among historians is that the secession of 11 Southern states, and the resulting war, was driven by slavery and the racial order that slavery represented. The Confederacy’s vice president, Alexander H. Stephens, said himself that the South’s “foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the Negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition.”

The myth that the Civil War was fought over not slavery, but states’ rights, has become an article of faith for some in the South and those in the white supremacist movement. Some Southern states instituted Robert E. Lee Day, celebrating the Confederate general, to fall on the same day as Martin Luther King Jr. Day after Congress established the holiday in 1983.

To have the occupant of the Oval Office cast doubt on the historical consensus could hearten those who downplay the significance that racism had in driving the war, historians said.

On Monday, as controversy swirled around Trump’s remarks, the white supremacist and outspoken Trump supporter David Duke was tweeting about efforts by the Democratic mayor of New Orleans, Mitch Landrieu, to remove a Confederate monument.

“Confederate heritage,” Duke wrote, “is America’s heritage.”

Democrats were quick to call out Trump for his remarks.

“President Trump doesn't understand why there was a Civil War. It's because my ancestors and millions of others were enslaved,” wrote Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) on Twitter.

Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) simply tweeted a quote from the writer James Baldwin: “Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have.”
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/0 ... war-237854
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue May 02, 2017 9:41 am

Yale historian warns it’s ‘inevitable’ that Trump will stage his own ‘Reichstag fire’ to save his presidency
Sarah K. Burris
01 MAY 2017 AT 11:36 ET

Yale University Professor Timothy Snyder‘s recent book focusing “On Tyranny” not only puts President Donald Trump in context with other 1930s fascists but it walks readers through steps for the resistance to maintain freedom.

In a recent interview for Chauncey DeVega’s podcast, Snyder explained that Americans assumed nothing bad would ever happen once the Cold War ended. Trump managed to tap into the idea that the U.S. isn’t a democracy anymore so people should simply let him be their very own oligarch. But because Americans tend to throw around terms like “fascist,” “dictator” and “Hitler,” the idea loses its meaning. Add to that, Americans tend to believe in our own exceptionalism.

“As I see it, there are certainly elements of his approach which are fascistic,” Snyder explained. “The straight-on confrontation with the truth is at the center of the fascist worldview. The attempt to undo the Enlightenment as a way to undo institutions, that is fascism.”

Fascists during the 20th century were quick to urge putting aside the facts. They also tend to use language similar to Trump’s during his rallies. They name enemies, remove opponents and use blunt slogans and soundbites over and over again.

“And Mr. [Steve] Bannon’s preoccupation with the 1930s and his kind of wishful reclamation of Italian and other fascists speaks for itself,” Snyder notes.

At the same time, somehow the Democrats became the status quo party while Republicans became the party seeking to undo the system. Bannon’s fascination with the Fourth Turning plays into it as Bannon seems to want to instigate the next great turning so that he can craft the future the way he wants. Bannon believes the only way we can usher in a new world order with a “massive reckoning” that results in conflict, thus he eggs on such conflicts.

Trump is allowed to soldier on with one failure after another as evidence of his incompetence staggers around the White House in a bathrobe. As a television personality, he’s judged only by those standards, not by the standards we hold real political leaders and public servants.

“I think another part of it has to do with attention span,” Snyder continued. “It’s not so much a lack of outrage — people are in fact outraged. But in order for a scandal to have political logic, the outrage has to be followed by the research, it has to be followed by the investigation, it has to be followed by an official finding.”

Snyder writes in his book that Trump will likely have his own conflict that brings about the “massive reckoning” Bannon seeks. Something like Hitler’s Reichstag fire that is either a war with North Korea, Iran, China, Russia or any of the other countries he’s antagonized over the last 100 days. In fact, Snyder said that it was “inevitable” that Trump and his team would try such an obvious stunt.

“Whether it works or not depends upon whether when something terrible happens to this country, we are aware that the main significance of it is whether or not we are going to be more or less free citizens in the future,” Snyder explained. “My gut feeling is that Trump and his administration will try and that it won’t work. Not so much because we are so great but because we have a little bit of time to prepare. I also think that there are enough people and enough agencies of the government who have also thought about this, and would not necessarily go along.”

Snyder’s book On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century outlines steps Americans can take to fight back. He anticipates we’ll know within the first year which direction Trump is taking and the degree to which it will work. Right now, however, Americans are already taking steps to resist including marches, rallies and more. The problem is that Trump and his people have already started.

“Every day you don’t do something, it makes it less likely that you will ever do something. So you’ve got to get started right away,” Snyder said. “Don’t obey in advance, because you have to start by orienting yourself against the general drift of things. If you can manage that, then the other lessons — such as supporting existing political and social institutions, supporting the truth and so on — those things will then come relatively easily if you can follow the first one, which is to get out of the drift. To recognize that this is the moment where you have to not behave as you did in October 2016. You have to set your own habits now.”
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/yale-hi ... residency/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion