Murders on Live TV

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Murders on Live TV

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:45 am

km artlu » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:56 pm wrote:Yes, good rant from National Review.

The consequences would be the same, but isn't the more plausible means an exec order, such as 6102 prohibiting 'hoarding' of gold?

Like what Obama tried to do with immigration policy? Because that's currently in legal limbo, too. Depends entirely on how many key players you can buy out or lean on, especially with guns because that's obviously attacking a provision of the Bill of Rights and the Supreme Court would have some feels about that.

Supreme Courts have a price, too, though. We'll see.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:36 am

A bit off-topic but the Mr. Robot scene in question that delayed the finale was a truly grisly portrayal of a Suicide on Live TV. I can see why it was delayed, but not totally synchronicitous with what happened in reality, thankfully.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Laodicean » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:21 pm

Luther Blissett » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:36 pm wrote:A bit off-topic but the Mr. Robot scene in question that delayed the finale was a truly grisly portrayal of a Suicide on Live TV. I can see why it was delayed, but not totally synchronicitous with what happened in reality, thankfully.

Deserves its own thread.
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Harvey » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm just not interested in investigating the background of these creeps any more but a few questions spring to mind.

1. Who was he speaking to online, what forums, social media etc did he frequent? What opinions did he express when he wasn't on-guard as it were?

1.a. Did he get 'direction' from elsewhere? Was he 'inspired'?

2. Who did he know? Who did he hang out with? Probably impossible to track.

3. The almost 'game' format of the image stills in the thread above, (his own recording? I deliberately haven't sought any details, watched the video, memorised his name, looked at images elsewhere) is really quite striking and under discussed.

4. The momentum of the Black Lives Matter movement would seem somewhat undercut by this, at least at an emotional level, particularly in the very audience they are trying to reach. The timing seems awkward to say the least. So, in a more 'meta' sense than usual, who benefits?

5. Who does the whole 'staged fake atrocity' meme benefit?

In part to address premise of point five as discussed here earlier I saw a dog run over a few days ago, watched it running toward the edge of the grass playing field chasing a ball, saw the car coming and calculated the inevitable before it happened. The dog was hit head on and already howling went under one of the wheels then immediately got up and ran off at speed. Having been run down by a car myself I know that shock does strange things to us. Momentarily. Just echoing some of the comments regarding hunting etc earlier in the thread.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby nashvillebrook » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Laodicean » 03 Sep 2015 22:21 wrote:
Luther Blissett » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:36 pm wrote:A bit off-topic but the Mr. Robot scene in question that delayed the finale was a truly grisly portrayal of a Suicide on Live TV. I can see why it was delayed, but not totally synchronicitous with what happened in reality, thankfully.

Deserves its own thread.

anyone remember the Filter song, "Hey Man Nice Shot" about PA state treasurer Budd Dwyer, who shot himself during a press conference in the 80s when he was convicted of bribery?

nashvillebrook

Postby vince » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:32 pm

nashvillebrook » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:49 pm wrote:

Deserves its own thread.

anyone remember the Filter song, "Hey Man Nice Shot" about PA state treasurer Budd Dwyer, who shot himself during a press conference in the 80s when he was convicted of bribery?

I, too, thought of that 'incident' when I watched "Mr. Robot"
But, as I watched the beginning of the episode, I thought the BIGGER synchronicity was with the big drop in the stock market!
When I told my wife about the show, (she hates the actor who plays the lead: "Ugh! Those 'bug-eyes! Can't STAND him!", she says.) and all the 'influences/ rip-offy-ness' of the show, she said, "Don't you feel like 'they' know what you like a little too much?"

Yes, ...I do.
vince

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby nashvillebrook » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:15 pm

vince » 05 Sep 2015 18:32 wrote:

Deserves its own thread.

But, as I watched the beginning of the episode, I thought the BIGGER synchronicity was with the big drop in the stock market!
When I told my wife about the show, (she hates the actor who plays the lead: "Ugh! Those 'bug-eyes! Can't STAND him!", she says.) and all the 'influences/ rip-offy-ness' of the show, she said, "Don't you feel like 'they' know what you like a little too much?"

Yes, ...I do.

the scene with Whiterose and Evil Corp boss Phillip Price (Michael Cristofer) made me want to watch Rubicon again.
nashvillebrook

Postby chump » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:48 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3-21kzvhnA
Until the End of Time - For Alison
Published on Aug 31, 2015

My favorite pictures of her, set to the music of her favorite song I ever wrote for her.
She was an amazingly beautiful and wonderful person. It was my honor to know her during her life.
chump

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:13 am

nashvillebrook » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:15 pm wrote:
vince » 05 Sep 2015 18:32 wrote:

Deserves its own thread.

Yes, ...I do.

the scene with Whiterose and Evil Corp boss Phillip Price (Michael Cristofer) made me want to watch Rubicon again.

Yeah definitely. Just unbelievable. After reading a few interviews with Sam Esmail I feel like he's a friend.

I have to say I love the lead though. He looks nearly identical to my first boss out of school, incidentally, the person who taught me to code.

Did Budd Dwyer's suicide coincide with a stock market fall? I'm not sure what the synchronicity is.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby chump » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/us/p ... ction.html

Chris Hurst, Whose Girlfriend Was Fatally Shot on Air, Defeats N.R.A.-Backed Opponent

By JONAH ENGEL BROMWICHNOV. 8, 2017

Photo
Chris Hurst, a Democrat, celebrated with supporters on Tuesday after winning Virginia’s House District 12. Credit Heather Rousseau/The Roanoke Times, via Associated Press

Two years after his 24-year-old girlfriend was shot and killed on live television, a Virginia Democrat on Tuesday defeated an opponent who was endorsed by the National Rifle Association for a seat in the State Legislature.

Chris Hurst, a former news anchor whose girlfriend and colleague, Alison Parker, was killed on air in 2015, overtook Joseph Yost to win the 12th House District seat in the state’s Legislature. He will be one of two Democrats to represent the state’s deeply conservative southwest region in the House.

In an interview Wednesday morning, Mr. Hurst, 30, described himself as humbled and awe-struck by his victory. He said that before Ms. Parker’s death, he had not had political aspirations.

“Our campaign has really tried not to focus on what happened to me,” he said. “Only inasmuch as I needed to explain to voters why I was running and leaving a good-paying job and a career that I loved.”

Though the victory was still fresh, he said that he had briefly considered what Ms. Parker might have thought of his new career.
“I think that she would be very proud,” he said. “And I continue to be proud of her.”

Ms. Parker and a cameraman, Adam Ward, were filming a live news segment when they were fatally shot by Vester Lee Flanagan II, who had been a reporter at the station where they worked, WDBJ in Roanoke, Va. The graphic footage was widely viewed, rocketing around social media after Mr. Flanagan, who later shot and killed himself, posted it on Facebook.

“She was the most radiant woman I ever met,” Mr. Hurst wrote of Ms. Parker after the shooting. “And for some reason she loved me back.”

Mr. Hurst was the only House candidate in Virginia who was endorsed by the advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety. But he chose not to make gun control a key campaign issue even as he ran against Mr. Yost, a three-term incumbent with an A rating from the N.R.A. Mr. Hurst focused instead on mental health, as well as issues like health care and education funding.

Mr. Hurst described himself as a gun owner and supporter of the Second Amendment, but said that he was intent on trying “to reduce gun homicides, suicides and accidental deaths.”

Get what you need to know to start your day in the United States, Canada and the Americas, delivered to your inbox.
You agree to receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

See Sample Privacy Policy Opt out or contact us anytime

The victory came on a banner night for Virginia Democrats. Lt. Gov. Ralph S. Northam soundly defeated the Republican nominee, Ed Gillespie, to win the governorship. And Mr. Hurst was one of at least 14 Democrats to retake what had formerly been Republican seats, putting the party in contention to retake the House of Delegates for the first time in more than 15 years.

Asked if he thought the results were a rebuke to President Trump, Mr. Hurst paused to consider.

“I still think politics is local,” he said. “But I think there are many people who got active and started organizing who were trying to send a message as a sign of resistance against President Trump and his administration.”

Ms. Parker’s parents, Andy and Barbara, attended Mr. Hurst’s victory celebration Tuesday evening at a Hyatt in Blacksburg, Va., along with a crowd of about 100.

“There was no other place we would be,” Mr. Parker said on Wednesday. “Chris has been like a second son to us.”

He said that if his daughter had been alive, she would have been by Mr. Hurst’s side, making sure he followed through on his campaign promises.

“She had such a work ethic — she always did what she said she was going to do and she held herself to a higher standard,” Mr. Parker said. “And he knew that.”

Mr. Hurst had insisted from the beginning of his campaign that he was not trying to earn sympathy votes and did not want people’s pity, even as he explained that Ms. Parker’s death had been instrumental in his decision to change careers. He said that he hoped his victory would show people that “anyone can turn tragedy into triumph.”

“It’s not what happens on our worst day that defines us,” he said. “It’s what we do in response to it.”
chump

Previous

Return to General Discussion