Martin Shkreli should be executed on live TV

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Martin Shkreli should be executed on live TV

Postby backtoiam » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:05 pm

Iamwhomiam » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:50 pm wrote:Jails cost much more money than bullets.

It's a matter of economy. Which is everything to free-market capitalists.

Imagine alone the costs involved in maintaining a garage filled with many extraordinary automobiles, and now add the costs of maintaining a dozen or so "homes" scattered around the world. Huge!

And somebodies help pay for it all, really matters little whose bodies, only that they pay to maintain such an individual's excessively opulent lifestyle. Preferably, those who pay should already have birthed their replacements.

In my opinion you just hit the nail directly in the sweet spot and upon it's head, and drove it succinctly into the wood that is at the heart of the "problem."

I suspect it is similar in nature to the same nail that the wombat just pounded into the turf by posting the article above.

If a person frequently lives on a 100 million dollar yacht and the upper deck only has two hot tubs instead of four it becomes "problematic" because there is a possibility that all the guests of the yacht will not have enough room to get wet, at the same time.

Moreover, there’s risk associated with starting a drug price war. Let’s say I decide to launch Sarah’s Generic Drug Company, and I’m pretty sure I can break even by slightly undercutting Turing and charging $700. What happens if Turing responds by dropping its price down to $500, or even back to $13.50? It will keep all its patients — and my nascent drug company is likely going bankrupt.

False dichotomy. Why launch? Oh yeah, those other two hot tubs.

So think about a generic drug manufacturer looking at the Daraprim situation. There are fixed costs associated with building a new plant (or possible lost revenue on other drugs, if they switch production at an existing plant), getting samples of the drug, and figuring out how to make the generic product…with Daraprim, there simply isn’t a big enough patient population for a competitor to sell a “good amount” to. And this is, more generally, a problem with the markets for drugs that only a small number of patients use. They often aren’t big enough to support two competitors.

This guy is saying that the Wheel has to be completely reinvented. The Wheel has been in place for decades. The barrels of powdered ingredient are sitting in the storage room right behind the pill presses. He seems to indicate that all this will have to be re thought up, sent to the engineers for blueprints, manufactured, marketed, packaged, distributed, and everything else.

The author of the article is absolutely correct about one thing. If now in place efficient process of manufacturing this inexpensive beneficial medication can be somehow interrupted there could be a ton of money to be made by doing so.

edited: to compensate for a seemingly increasing lack of ability to type the proper syntax due to aging. Sometimes I skip whole words. Not sure why...
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Grizzly » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:03 am

No one should be executed on live TV. Is he a dick? Yes. Should he be punished? Of course. But executed? That's extreme. What we so badly need is restorative justice.

Summary

Breton, Denise and Lehman, Stephen (2001). The Mystic Heart of Justice: Restoring Wholeness in a Broken World. West Chester,PA: Chrysalis Books.

Lehman and Breton explore the philosophy by which justice is defined and propose a different manner for defining justice. Leaning heavily on indigenous and spiritualist traditions and the philosophy of Socrates and Plato, they propose a holistic model of justice that would inform our everyday life and relationships at all levels.

http://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/ ... view/13691

Denise Breton and Stephen Lehman’s philosophical work presents a re-imagining of the spiritual practice of justice. Here’s an example.

"The challenge that mystic justice poses for us, therefore, isn’t to deny our nature for the sake of social order but the reverse, namely, to bring our full nature into our worlds. We need to connect with who we are in our totality, not just in outer ways. Listening to our souls is how we do it. In turn, our souls use the totality of our experience — our thoughts, desires, dreams, longings, relationships, bodies, as well as our loves — to tell the unfolding story of who we are and what the whole calls us to do.

"That’s why, in following our souls, we can’t go wrong. Granted, we can raise the ire of conventional wisdom and social expectation in a flash, we can make mistakes, and we can go through intense, painful, even hellish transformations; but we can’t go wrong as far as the mystic order of justice is concerned. One way or another, following our souls opens a window for our core individuality to come through, and that blesses us all.

"So what do we do? We get our souls back: that’s our first job. It’s the mystic way as well as the practical way, and it’s the way of justice.

"We do justice to ourselves by engaging our whole being, outer and inner, seen and unseen;

"We do justice to others by honoring their whole being, our connectedness to them, and our whole mutual-blessings dynamics;

"We do justice to our communities and society by giving them what is ours to give; and

"We do justice to justice itself by no longer reducing it to external reward-punishment terms, instead letting it operate as a force for soul, transformation, happiness, and good."

And no, I hate em, but I would not execute Bush, Cheney of any of those fucks. Fuck playing by the States rules...
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby backtoiam » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:23 am

No one should be executed on live TV.

I agree and I regret that I have ever posted in a thread with a title like that. I wish nobody to be executed. The hike in drug price might have been a greedy move but it does not warrant execution in my opinion. I will be more careful in the future about posting in threads that have titles with such inflammatory nature.
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:03 am

While I abhor the subject of executions, which I see as unnecessary today and a vengeful way to assuage by proxy the revenge once exercised by the wronged.

Long ago people had no way to assure a convict would not once again kill or otherwise further endanger their society, and killing the offender was society's remedy to assure their future safety.

Today we have prisons where we can isolate an individual away from society for the duration of their life, and this makes state sanctioned murder unnecessary. Restorative justice is the only practice that seeks to make the criminal aware of the impact of their actions against another has had not only upon the actual victim, but also upon their relations and friends, and to take responsibility for causing their pain. In recognizing this reality a change occurs within the criminal (if they are not psychopathic), especially when the wronged offer their forgiveness.

An incredible catharsis usually takes place in all who participate in these face to face restorative justice meetings.

Personally, I wish executions were broadcast. The horror of state sanctioned murder being widely witnessed would surely put a quick end to this barbarous practice.

Edited once to add my thanks to Grizzly for encouraging the institution of Restorative Justice and to greet and thank the new guy who just might be my cousin, backtoiam.
Iamwhomiam

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:55 am

WOULD ARRESTED BY THE FBI DO? :P

FBI Arrests Turing Pharmaceuticals CEO Martin Shkreli
by ERIK ORTIZ

The pharmaceutical company CEO who became infamous after hiking the price of an HIV drug from $13.50 to $750 a pill has been arrested by the FBI, CNBC has confirmed. The arrest comes amid an investigation related to a hedge fund and drug company he once ran, Reuters reported.

Shkreli, 32, who was taken into custody at his New York City residence, is currently the boss of Turing Pharmaceuticals. He was previously the manager of hedge fund MSMB Capital Management and chief executive of biopharmaceutical company Retrophin Inc.

Details of the charges were not immediately available.

Shkreli this year became a lightning rod for growing outrage over the soaring prices of prescription drugs.

Pharma CEO Martin Shkreli arrested and charged with securities fraud 0:55
Related: Pharma Boss Martin Shkreli Unmasked as Wu-Tang Clan Album Buyer

He announced in September that he was jacking up the price of Daraprim, stoking outrage. Headlines called him the "most hated man in America." The backlash led the privately held company to say last month it was cutting the cost of the drug.

Shkreli was also unmasked this month as the person who reportedly paid $2 million for the only copy of the new Wu-Tang Clan album, "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin."
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:06 am

Why doesn't anyone talk about Saddam's execution? That was played live on tv right? Sometimes I feel like that episode was a glitch in the matrix for me.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Luther Blissett » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:06 am wrote:Why doesn't anyone talk about Saddam's execution? That was played live on tv right? Sometimes I feel like that episode was a glitch in the matrix for me.

The executions of Saddam Hussein and Omar Gadaffi were unnecessarily barbaric, brutal, and public or publicized.

The summary execution of Osama Bin Laden was counterproductive.

In all three cases there was a political message being sent and an avoidance of what would likely be revealed by a fair and open trial and settlement of accounts.

Also especially in the case of Bin Laden there was the lost opportunity to gather intelligence.

I am aghast at how blood thirsty many among us are and how blood thirsty and violent we are as a society.

Shkreli is a prick but I do not endorse his execution on live TV.

From the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/06/busin ... .html?_r=0

Martin Shkreli, the Bad Boy of Pharmaceuticals, Hits Back

From Fortune: http://fortune.com/2015/12/16/martin-shkreli-albanian/

Is Martin Shkreli Really the Most Successful Albanian Ever?

I did not know that Mother Teresa and the Belushi brothers were Albanian.
PufPuf93

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:06 pm

where's that smirky face now Martin?

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Martin Shkreli is a punk.

Good to take him out of the equation at an early age.

Shame that justice does not fall on our most egregious political and business leaders.
PufPuf93

Postby General Patton » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Iamwhomiam » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:03 am wrote:
Personally, I wish executions were broadcast. The horror of state sanctioned murder being widely witnessed would surely put a quick end to this barbarous practice.

Let your inner accelerationist run wild

штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:56 pm

The Shkreli Story (working title)

Son of Albanian-Croatian immigrants? I did not know. My first tinge of sympathy! He went to my high school in New York, by the way. So here's this kid who's of humble origins, parents if not poor then who probably left their country because it was imploding and probably worked for a better future for their children, etc. etc. He's out to overachieve and no doubt a sufferer of Early Asshole Syndrome, so let's not exaggerate on the sympathy. I'm going to guess he probably hated what he saw as privileged Upper East/West Side kids with their easy manners and liberal face-value who largely populated the Original Prof X's Public Magnet-School for The Very Special Misunderstood Brainiac Children of New York. Determined to get Revenge (against what, it doesn't matter), he voraciously absorbs and puts to use the ca. Year 2000 ambient ideology of what constitutes Success, which is to be proudly ruthless in pursuing every by-hook or by-crook stratagem to the deadly hilt. Having "succeeded" -- all you need to know about American values is that Shkreli pre-2015 is the admirable pinnacle of Winning, and a "wealth creator," whereas the worst Loserdom would have been defined as the same Shkreli living with his mother and taking care of her bunyons -- he fell prey to the lure of nouveau-riche affectation and Ayn-Rand-as-Hip-Hop grandstanding. Once on the helicopter ride, looking down on the Bugs of New York, he probably got dizzy and forgot half the scams he'd perpetrated. His "Look at me, I'm a Bond Villain! Master of the Universe!" schtick finally drew enough attention for the FBI to pull out his fat file and actually close a case. (Examples periodically need to be made.) The script is now in development. This exciting movie about the festering heart of America will one day be directed by a 90-year-old Martin Scorcese, critics will assure that it's a withering critique ("it will burn your fucking face off" says rogerebert.com). If he plays to script, Shkreli's second act as a pious charity-giver ("find me a disease! one with children! or one that might affect me!") will follow his prisontime conversion to some gospel or other. Probably not Islam, I'm leaning to LDS.

Can we see Justin Bieber as the lead, in his breakthrough role?

Is that a story? Do I win the pitch? Damn!

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:57 pm

As I've said, capital punishment is an abhorrent practice and should be utterly abolished.

It's good to see this man in handcuffs. His lawyers will be further enriched and he'll probably get 6 mo. in a country club prison, 6 mo. monitored home confinement and will have a huge multimillion dollar fine and he'll still be far wealthier than he is today.

Have no idea who that guy is, either. But for future reference, I'm not much of a hat guy. Is that on the right a pic of San Diego Buff Guy?
Iamwhomiam

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:03 pm

:P

Lawyer for Martin Shkreli Hikes Fees Five Thousand Per Cent
BY ANDY BOROWITZ

BROOKLYN (The Borowitz Report)—A criminal lawyer representing Turing Pharmaceuticals chief Martin Shkreli has informed his client that he is raising his hourly legal fees by five thousand per cent, the lawyer has confirmed.

Minutes after Shkreli’s arrest on charges of securities fraud, the attorney, Harland Dorrinson, announced that he was hiking his fees from twelve hundred dollars an hour to sixty thousand dollars.

Shkreli, who reportedly received the news about the price hike while he was being fingerprinted, cried foul and accused his attorney of “outrageous and inhumane price gouging.”

“This is the behavior of a sociopath,” Shkreli was heard screaming.

For his part, Shkreli’s lawyer was unmoved by his client’s complaint. “Compared to what he pays for an hour of Wu-Tang Clan, sixty thou is a bargain,” he said.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:04 pm

I like the other ending better, the one in which he become a Franciscan Roman Catholic monk after giving away all his wealth to the poor - or did that get written out as unbelievable ancient 20th C lore?

edited once to add:

Thanks slad. That's gonna be remembered!
Iamwhomiam

Postby General Patton » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:15 pm

It's an elderly Augusto Pinochet
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion