Segregation: A Modest Proposal

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Segregation: A Modest Proposal

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:42 pm

Everyone should take a trip into space so that they can see our fragile world without borders.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby General Patton » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:48 am

Online dating and segregation
http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your- ... -you-back/

How Your Race Affects The Messages You Get
October 5th, 2009
Here’s what we can know:

Black women write back the most. Whether it’s due to talkativeness, loneliness, or a sense of plain decency, black women are by far the most likely to respond to a first contact attempt. In many cases, their response rate is one and a half times the average, and, overall, black women reply about a quarter more often that other women.

White men get more responses. Whatever it is, white males just get more replies from almost every group. We were careful to preselect our data pool so that physical attractiveness (as measured by our site picture-rating utility) was roughly even across all the race/gender slices. For guys, we did likewise with height.

White women prefer white men to the exclusion of everyone else—and Asian and Hispanic women prefer them even more exclusively. These three types of women only respond well to white men. More significantly, these groups’ reply rates to non-whites is terrible. Asian women write back non-white males at 21.9%, Hispanic women at 22.9%, and white women at 23.0%. It’s here where things get interesting, for white women in particular. If you look at the match-by-race table before this one, the “should-look-like” one, you see that white women have an above-average compatibility with almost every group. Yet they only reply well to guys who look like them. There’s more data on this towards the end of the post.

Men don’t write black women back. Or rather, they write them back far less often than they should. Black women reply the most, yet get by far the fewest replies. Essentially every race—including other blacks—singles them out for the cold shoulder.

White guys respond less overall. The average reply rate of non-white males is 48.1%, while white guys’ is only 40.5%. Basically, they write back about 20% less often. It’s ironic that white guys are worst responders, because as we saw above they in turn get the most replies. That has apparently made them very self-absorbed.

It’s surely not just OkCupid users that are like this. In fact, it’s any dating site (and indeed any collection of people) would likely exhibit messaging biases similar to what I’ve written up.

Any dating site probably has these biasesAccording to our internal metrics, at least, OkCupid’s users are better-educated, younger, and far more progressive than the norm, so I can imagine that many sites would actually have worse race stats. But like I said at the beginning, we’ll probably never know. See you next week.

Here's a study done using OkCupid:
http://www.pnas.org/content/110/47/18814.full.pdf
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby General Patton » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:58 am

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2015 ... -diversity
Looking at the models on Lorde Inc’s website, the first thing that strikes you is that these people are, to put it in Zoolander’s words, really, really good looking. Ornello has long plaits and a gap between her teeth. Mohammed is all chocolate eyes and wavy locks. And Urjii is cheekbones and expressive stare. The second thing? None of the models – about 60 in all – are white.

Lorde was set up in May 2014 as the first of its kind – an agency made up entirely of models of colour. It is the brainchild of Nafisa Kaptownwala, a 26-year-old Canadian art history graduate, who began to work on the fringes of fashion and noticed the lack of non-white models. Despite no experience in the modelling industry, she set up Lorde in London with a friend and “the next thing, people were contacting us”. A year on, and Lorde has worked with magazines including Dazed & Confused and i-D, and collaborated with London streetwear brand Cassette Playa.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby tapitsbo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:47 pm

I notice that there's been an attempt in this thread to address the issues discussed as being "rural" ones not "urban". To be fair, I personally have lived in cities with a very low level of ethnic strife. This was, however, in an extremely wealthy country with a functioning welfare state. I'm interested in how "cities" is magically supposed to solve the problems in this thread.
tapitsbo

Postby American Dream » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:05 pm

I thought it was established that the seemingly racial separatist material was being posted tongue in cheek, or something...
American Dream

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:14 pm

American Dream » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:05 pm wrote:I thought it was established that the seemingly racial separatist material was being posted tongue in cheek, or something...

Certainly, but that doesn't negate the history of Lebanon.

Reversion to Primary Loyalties is going to be a very popular dance move once the water dries up.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby American Dream » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:28 pm

So this thread is in part in advocacy of "racial" segregation, ethno-religious separatism, secessionism and/or other such reactionary agenda?
American Dream

Postby tapitsbo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:38 pm

Engaging with people who disagree with you instead of writing them off as jokes, American Dream, would represent a form of desegregation. I hope you would be against no-platforming most of the world's population...

for the record I am strongly against strict segregation but also against aggressively universalizing belief systems that don't tolerate difference... and this isn't some rhetorical cover for separate-but-equal stuff, I really think different sorts of people should peacefully coexist and this requires plurality and negotiation and people cooling it down with rules that are absurdly supposed to apply to everyone, often with blatant hypocrisy included (both religious and secular militants are guilty of this)

my question about cities was not tongue-in-cheek, I'm really confused about how it applies since there are lots of peacefully diverse rural areas and lots of cities with segregation and conflict (see: European "no-go zones")
Last edited by tapitsbo on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tapitsbo

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:39 pm

American Dream » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:28 pm wrote:So this thread is in part in advocacy of "racial" segregation, ethno-religious separatism, secessionism and/or other such reactionary agenda?

The fuck? I thought you were responding to tapitsbo's question. What are you responding to? (Why am I even bothering to engage with you like you're a functional adult?) So many questions, but let's focus on the first one.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby General Patton » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:42 pm

American Dream » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:28 pm wrote:So this thread is in part in advocacy of "racial" segregation, ethno-religious separatism, secessionism and/or other such reactionary agenda?

It is possible to document and discuss said segregation and separatism without advocacy? If I point out racial and gender divsions in online dating or modeling, am I giving a platform to racism?

The thread started, again, indulging in the irony of progressives and liberals who are openly advancing segregation both from a bottom and top level (see school segregation) as a means to social justice, or some variation therein. This also includes criticizing those who talk about equality and diversity but live in almost entirely ethnically same living and working spaces. Even then when ethnic diversity is included, I doubt ideological diversity is tolerated.

And yes, the cities = peaceful coexistence point is lost on me as well.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby coffin_dodger » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:53 pm

American Dream » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:28 pm wrote:So this thread is in part in advocacy of "racial" segregation, ethno-religious separatism, secessionism and/or other such reactionary agenda?

O.M.G! You've single-handedly discovered that RI is a nest of vipers, a vile scourge of fist-pumping crypto-neo-nazi-reactionary-anarchists, cynically posing as free-thinkers - but they don't fool you, oh no, they never fool you. Ever alert.

This thread should immediately be bought to the attention of anyone against plain wrong. It should be expunged from this site and from these minds that have dared to think it. That will keep us safe. Safe. Like drones and guns. Mmmm safe. Perhaps a bit of waterboarding might help anyone with doubts.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby General Patton » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:02 pm

Oh and that reminds me:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/world/us- ... cBivI.html
Two Muslim truck drivers have been awarded a whopping $240,000 in damages by a US jury in a religious discrimination lawsuit after they were fired for refusing to make beer deliveries.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby American Dream » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:33 pm

(Fails to see what sort of ideas the very facile straw-manning of liberals/diversity advocates etc. upthread might actually vindicate).
American Dream

Postby Sounder » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:44 am

Ah, the American Dream; to find the boogy man beneath everyone else's bed but not their own. :yay
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby jakell » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:50 am

American Dream » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:33 am wrote:(Fails to see what sort of ideas the very facile straw-manning of liberals/diversity advocates etc. upthread might actually vindicate).

It seems you have produced a strawman yourself here, oddly accompanied by brackets and italics.

As far as I can see, no particular ideas** (strawman alert) are being vindicated, the thread seems to be open ended and is highlighting what is gently termed as irony, and at the blunter end of the scale, hypocrisy

** Actually, it seems that you 'fail to see' them too, although you imply that they are there nevertheless.
" Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism"
jakell

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion