Big Black Courageous Men on Campus

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Big Black Courageous Men on Campus

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:50 am

Walkouts called for at University of Missouri; football players join protest

(Tribune wire reports)
Tribune wire reportsContact Reporter

Long-simmering protests at the University of Missouri over matters of race and discrimination got a boost over the weekend when at least 30 black football players announced they will not participate in team activities until the university system's president is removed.

For months, black student groups have complained of racial slurs and other slights on the overwhelmingly white, 35,000-student flagship campus of the four-college system. Frustrations flared during a homecoming parade Oct. 10 when black protesters blocked system President Tim Wolfe's car and he would not get out and talk to them. They were removed by police.

On Saturday night, black members of the football team joined the outcry. By Sunday, a campus sit-in had grown in size, graduate student groups planned walkouts, politicians began to weigh in, and a special meeting of the university system's governing body was set for Monday morning in Columbia.

Missouri campus protest
University of Missouri students are protesting racial incidents using the hashtag #ConcernedStudent1950 -- the year the university began accepting black students. (Allison Long / Kansas City Star)
Wolfe hasn't indicated he has any intention of stepping down, but agreed in a statement Sunday that "change is needed" and said the university is working to draw up a plan by April to promote diversity and tolerance.

The athletes did not say explicitly whether they would boycott the team's three remaining games this season. The Tigers' next game is Saturday against Brigham Young University at Arrowhead Stadium, the home of the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs, and canceling it could cost the school more than $1 million.

"The athletes of color on the University of Missouri football team truly believe 'Injustice Anywhere is a threat to Justice Everywhere,'" the players said in a statement. "We will no longer participate in any football related activities until President Tim Wolfe resigns or is removed due to his negligence toward marginalized students' experience. WE ARE UNITED!!!!!"

Head football coach Gary Pinkel expressed solidarity on Twitter, posting a picture of the team and coaches locking arms. The tweet said: "The Mizzou Family stands as one. We are united. We are behind our players."

Practice and other team activities were canceled Sunday, Pinkel and Missouri athletic director Mack Rhoades said in a joint statement. The statement linked the return of the protesting football players to the end of a hunger strike by a black graduate student who began the effort Nov. 2 and has vowed to not eat until Wolfe is gone.

"Our focus right now is on the health of Jonathan Butler, the concerns of our student-athletes and working with our community to address this serious issue," the statement said.

The protests began after the student government president, who is black, said in September that people in a passing pickup truck shouted racial slurs at him. In early October, members of a black student organization said slurs were hurled at them by an apparently drunken white student.

Also, a swastika drawn in feces was found recently in a dormitory bathroom.

Many of the protests have been led by an organization called Concerned Student 1950, which gets its name from the year the university accepted its first black student. Its members besieged Wolfe's car at the parade, and they have been conducting a sit-in on a campus plaza since last Monday.

Two trucks flying Confederate flags drove past the site Sunday afternoon, a move many saw as an attempt at intimidation. At least 150 students gathered at the plaza Sunday night to pray, sing and read Bible verses, a larger crowd than on previous days. Many planned to camp there overnight, despite temperatures that had dropped into the upper 30s.

Also joining in the protest effort are two graduate student groups that called for walkouts Monday and Tuesday.

Concerned Student 1950 has demanded, among other things, that Wolfe "acknowledge his white male privilege," that he is immediately removed, and that the school adopt a mandatory racial-awareness program and hire more black faculty and staff.

One of the sit-in participants, Abigail Hollis, a black undergraduate, said the campus is "unhealthy and unsafe for us."

"The way white students are treated is in stark contrast to the way black students and other marginalized students are treated, and it's time to stop that," Hollis said. "It's 2015."

Columbia is about 120 miles west of Ferguson, the St. Louis suburb where tensions erupted over the shooting death of unarmed black 18-year-old Michael Brown last year by a white police officer.

The school's undergraduate population is 79 percent white and 8 percent black. The state is about 83 percent white and nearly 12 percent black.

Wolfe, 56, is a former software executive and Missouri business school graduate whose father taught at the university. He was hired in 2011 as president, succeeding another former business executive who also lacked experience in academia.

He said Sunday that most of the group's demands have already been incorporated into the university's draft plan for promoting tolerance.

"It is clear to all of us that change is needed," he said.

Already, at Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin's request, the university announced plans to require diversity training for all new students starting in January, along with faculty and staff.

Lawmakers and elected officials began to weigh in Sunday. The chairman of a Missouri House higher education committee, Poplar Bluff Republican Rep. Steven Cookson, said in a statement that Wolfe "can no longer effectively lead" and should leave his post. Joining him in calling for Wolfe's resignation was Assistant House Minority Leader Gail McCann Beatty, the highest-ranking black member of that chamber.

Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon said the university must address the concerns so that the school is "a place where all students can pursue their dreams in an environment of respect, tolerance and inclusion."

U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill, a Missouri graduate, said the governing board needs to "send a clear message" to the students at the Columbia campus that they'll address racism.

The Board of Curators, the system's governing body, said in a statement that it planned to meet Monday morning. According to an agenda, part of the meeting will be closed to the public.

Missouri law allows the group to meet in a private "executive session" to discuss topics including privileged communications with university counsel or personnel matters, the statement said. A system spokesman didn't respond to questions about the meeting.

The racial issues are just the latest controversy at the university in recent months, following the suspension of graduate students' health care subsidies and an end to university contracts with a Planned Parenthood clinic that performs abortions.

Missouri Faculty to Walk Out in Solidarity With Students
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: Big Black Courageous Men on Campus

Postby General Patton » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:53 am

Yes, we're all very excited to see BBC on campus.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:18 pm

Univ. of Missouri Pres. to resign

way to go Missouri students

Black Lives Matter .....when there's a MILLION DOLLARS at stake!

change gonna come

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbO2_077ixs
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby General Patton » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:33 pm

https://twitter.com/hochman/status/663758427508772865
The students at Mizzou have built a human shield to block reporters from interviewing peaceful protesters

https://twitter.com/hochman/status/663760271781924864
"If you're here to support the students then help keep the press out," a woman just chanted

They're about to do a speech now.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Fuck safe spaces.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby 82_28 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:19 pm

I have lived in Columbia and been at the university for almost 18 years. During this time, I have been called the n-word too many times to count.

My most recent experience was while jogging on Route K in May of 2015 when I was approached by a white man in a white truck with a Confederate flag very visible and proudly displayed.

He leaned out his window (now, keep in mind I run against traffic, so his behavior was a blatant sign that something was about to happen). Not only did he spit at me, he called me the n-word and gave me the finger.

Of course, I responded with, "Oh yea, get out of your car, you coward, and say that to my face." He then raced off. Typical.

After the Zimmerman trial, I wrote about my experiences being called the n-word twice while I was on my jog. And yes, I have had a few faculty call me the n-word and treat me with incredible disrespect. Yes, faculty.

I have had a student who said he couldn't call me Dr. Frisby because that would mean that he thinks I am smart, and he was told that blacks are not smart and do not earn degrees without affirmative action. Yes, true story. I have so many stories to share that it just doesn't make sense to put them all here.

What I am responding to is the frequent question I have been asked all week: How have I endured these many hateful experiences for over 17 years, and why am I still here?

I endured because God allows me to see the good and cup half full.

I endured because I know my life is in God's hands, and I do not walk alone. I endured because I find these to be teachable moments that I use in my classroom with my students. I endured (or better yet endure) because I have an amazing support system.

I endure because there are far too many of my white friends that have a heart of gold, love people of any color with a passion and who have a strong trust in and love for the Lord. I endure because I have friends who are white and daily show me that there are people who can hurt when I do and who sincerely want to make this culture a better place. I endure because I look to the Lord to help me grow and be the best person I can be.

I endure because I CHOSE AND CHOOSE to endure and overcome, and I choose to overlook ignorance. Choosing to overlook these idiots doesn't make me a "sell-out" or an Uncle Tom. I choose to endure because my mom and civil rights leaders taught me to never run but stand straight, tall and do not run.

Racism is alive, and it's everywhere.

I endure because what I have gone through is nothing like what my mom went through in the '50s and '60s, nor is it even close to what my Lord and Savior had to endure while on the earth (he, too, was spat at, made fun of and even nailed to a cross simply because He loved us/me that much).

Yes, we are better off now than we were in the '50s, but to some extent, we are taking many steps backward by ignoring or not talking about the racial issues.

We need to have open discussions where people share their ignorance and learn from people who are different. (I do this in my classroom every day, and we learn and I learn so much.) So where am I going with this post?

I understand the anger. I understand that we've had enough. I also understand and agree with my friend Traci Wilson-Kleekamp when she wrote, "Jonathan L. Butler and ‪#‎ConcernedStudent1950‬ please give space for mistakes, listening, learning and dialogue. This on the job training thing is powerful because it is SO VERY PUBLIC." I not only see this as on-the-job training for our administrators at MU, but I also see it as training for some of my very educated white friends.

The saddest of all things for me is to see how a few of my white friends are responding to these events and basic conflicts in race relations in our nation (i.e., police shootings, the president, etc). It hurts my heart when I see posts from these friends who make fun of us because we find things hurtful like dressing up in black face costumes or Confederate flags flying high in my neighborhood.

What bothers me is that the few of my white friends who feel this way have not taken time or energy to reach out to me and ask me why these things hurt or to understand what is going on or even send an email saying they are confused.

For the two friends who have in the recent days, thank you. That speaks volumes of your openness to understand. You are not even saying that you agree; you just want to hear from me and my thoughts and experiences. Kudos to being open.

Unlike my "other" so-called acquaintances. Instead, they take to social media and make jokes of the students, say things like, "Oh my God, what else are these people going to find offensive?" or even dumber things like, "I guess next year I will dress up as nothing." By the way, the Halloween costume event is not about not dressing up like someone, but it is about dressing up as characters, not as a race of people. It is the heart and intent of a person.

I write this post to ask if those folks who find that the situation on campus is ridiculous to please be a little more open-minded. Ask questions. Do your research. Heaven forbid you will put yourself in their shoes.

Maybe you should dress up in black face and spend a month walking around in that costume, and maybe then you will understand how we feel when you walk in a room or a store and get treated like a second class citizen. Maybe then you will understand that our feelings about being constantly referred to as niggers is more than "just getting over it." Maybe then you will understand why telling the students to get their "a@&S" in class because they are making much ado about nothing hurts and doesn't solve the problem.

I am much more than the n-word.

I am an educated black woman who happens to have worked hard for my Ph.D. I am a mom. I am a grandmother. I am a daughter. I am a sister. I am an auntie. I am a cousin. I am loved by my family and friends. I am smart. I am funny (or so I think). I am a Christian who loves the Lord Jesus with my whole heart. I would die for Him as He died for us. I am YOUR FRIEND!

Yes, I am all of these things. There is so much more to me than the n-word implies. Please consider that when you criticize the events on campus: Yes, I am silly. Yes, I am a drama queen who thinks I should have been born a celebrity. But what I am not is a nigger! Let me just say that.

Consider that you have a friend who deserves and simply wants to be treated equally. You have and know a friend who jogs on Route K and wants to do that without fear that some kids in a car will think it is funny to yell at me and pretend that they will run me off the road. Know that you have a friend who wants to walk out every day with confidence that she will not be spat on or yelled euphemisms simply because of the color of her skin.

To make things better in our world, that would be a start.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cynthia-f ... 12166.html

MO is nutz. I've always thought so. There's like something that changes once you get there and contrast it where you came from. In fact, I even had some customer a year or two ago who got into my face and said "you know where I'm from? Missouri!". I said, I don't give a fuck, get out. He got more confrontational and I said don't make me have to call the cops. Get the fuck out.

I was like figures, Missouri. The biggest bar brawl I ever saw was in St. Louis near the arch amongst a bunch of jocks. In fact I think it was the only bar brawl I've ever seen and I've been in bars daily for almost 20 years. MO be fucked.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Nordic » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:16 pm

I went to Mizzou for 2.5 years, early 80s. Columbia was a pretty great town for the most part, but it's still Missouri. And my parents are both from Missouri. I knew students at Mizzou who had family in the KKK. One of them brought what he said was his Uncle's KKK outfit to school and kept it in his dorm room where one night he showed it to a few of us. His Dad and Uncle were heavily involved with Kit Bond. They were thugs, utterly corrupt and so was Kit Bond.

After I left, whenever I would pass back into Missouri, the people seemed to have gotten dumber and physically uglier. Then the whole right-wing Faux-Christian thing started to take over. I have cousins who used to be normal people you could talk to who became right--wing evangelical nut jobs.

It was about this time I started to wonder if they were putting something in the air or water. It's weird as hell.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby General Patton » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:48 pm

LOL

Reminds me of the ole Hillary rope line:

http://www.komu.com/news/mu-chancellor- ... -backlash/
COLUMBIA - MU Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin announced Monday he would resign at the end of this year.

This came just six hours after Tim Wolfe resigned as UM System president. Loftin said he would transition into a new job at the university that deals with research, effective Jan. 1, 2016.

“I sincerely wish it was different, but events are such that the best course of action for the university at this time is for me to resign,” Loftin said in a news release from the UM System.

Loftin has been MU's chancellor since February 2014 and is the former chancellor of Texas A&M.

:rofl2
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:18 am

What exactly happened to make them behave that way towards the press?

Here are their demands:

I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology to the Concerned Student 1-­9-­5-0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-­0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

IV. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color.

V. We demand that by the academic year 2017-2018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campus-wide to 10%.

VI. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals -- particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

VIII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus, and increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

ʘʘʘRe: Big Black Courageous Men on Campusʘʘʘ

Postby General Patton » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:31 am

Luther Blissett » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:18 am wrote:What exactly happened to make them behave that way towards the press?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe Melissa Click and Janna Basler will fill us in later.

VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals

[insert smug anime reaction image here]
Last edited by General Patton on Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:34 am

The woman who calls for "muscle" at the end of the video to help get rid of the photographer had just sent out a press release requesting media coverage.
Luther Blissett

ɈɈɈRe: Big Black Courageous Men on CampusɈɈɈ

Postby General Patton » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:37 am

Luther Blissett » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:34 am wrote:The woman who calls for "muscle" at the end of the video to help get rid of the photographer had just sent out a press release requesting media coverage.

Sent out 2 days before. Melissa Click is the name.

http://heavy.com/news/2015/11/melissa-c ... ierbecker/
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:44 am

thanks for not posting those creepy anime pics again :P
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:11 pm

Ah, that's why you mentioned those two names earlier.
Luther Blissett

Next

Return to General Discussion