Visionary genius & artist Paul Laffoley has died

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Visionary genius & artist Paul Laffoley has died

Postby nashvillebrook » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:16 pm

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/visionary_artist_and_genius_paul_laffoley_has_died2

Visionary artist and genius Paul Laffoley has died

“If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be . . . “
Henry David Thoreau

I knew this day was coming, and now that it’s here, it absolutely sucks as much as I thought it would: It is with great sadness that I report that the great genius artist and thinker Paul Laffoley is dead. He was 75.

A few weeks ago I got an email from my close friend Douglas Walla, Paul’s longtime gallerist letting me know that Paul had a heart attack and was in the hospital in Boston and that I might want to give him a call. Like immediately. I did and we spoke for about an hour, mostly chit-chat about his health and his upcoming book and then we talked about the architecture at the University of Cincinnati’s campus. He coughed like crazy—really, really HARD coughs that rattled his chest, I could practically feel the spittle hitting my eardrum through the telephone. Apparently he’d coughed so hard that he’d given himself a heart attack.

The problem was, this hacking cough was something, that he’d been, as he put it, “working on my entire life.” The cough was a permanent condition, in other words, it wasn’t going to go away. Already in poor health for many years—he had an amputated leg, diabetes and heart problems—the combination of this persistent HARD cough and congestive heart failure was the kind of “Catch 22” that meant he wasn’t going to be long for this world.

I asked him if the nurses were treating him well. He said yes, but I teased him that I wanted to speak to the one who had just entered the room, so that I could explain to her how “important” her charge was. “Oh you don’t have to do that,” he said.

I laughed: “Hey, look what happened to Andy Warhol. It couldn’t hurt!”

Douglas Walla let me know a week or so ago that Paul had entered hospice care. He died quietly today.

The visionary artist and luminary, Paul Laffoley, has died today after a long battle with congestive heart failure. He had an extraordinary grasp of multiple fields of knowledge compulsively pursing interests that often lead him into uncharted territory. His complex theoretical constructs were uniquely presented in highly detailed mandala-like canvases largely scaled to Fibonacci’s golden ratio. While an active participant in numerous speculative organizations including his own Boston Visionary Cell since the early 70s, his work began to attract an increasing following in his late career with shows at the Palais de Tokyo (2009), Hamburger Bahnhof (2011), Hayward Gallery, London, Henry Art Gallery, Seattle, and Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (2013). The first book on Laffoley’s oeuvre was The Phenomenology of Revelation published by Kent Fine Art in 1989, followed by several subsequent publications beginning with his first retrospective organized by the Austin Museum of Art (1999).

Forthcoming in March of 2016, the University of Chicago Press will be releasing the long awaited book entitled The Essential Paul Laffoley. He was a kind and generous giant, and he will be sorely missed by all of us.

Today the world lost one of its greatest minds, but it might be a few years before the world realizes this. I am gratified to know that although Paul didn’t live long enough to see the publication of the catalogue raisonné of his work, he did see the galley proofs. Doug Walla worked for decades, really, on this book and it will be an intellectual and cultural EVENT when it’s published next year, mark my words. Many years ago, I can recall discussing Paul with Doug and he told me that what drove him so hard to develop Paul’s career is how tragic it would have been if Paul died in obscurity, and was regarded historically as an “enigma” or as an outsider artist, someone like Henry Darger instead of the Ivy League-educated polymath “Sci-Fi Leonardo” that he truly was. As of today there are several books that have been published about Paul Laffoley, and there will be many more in the future and many doctoral dissertations that will be written about him. I’m sure he died with the satisfaction that his work was not only valued by mankind, but will live on with greater notoriety after his passing.

I lost a friend today, someone I greatly admired and loved. More importantly, the world lost a great genius. The New York Times called Paul Laffoley “one of the most unusual creative minds of our time.”

Too true. And now he’s gone. I don’t have any more words right now, so I will direct you to something that I wrote about Paul recently.
nashvillebrook

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Visionary genius & artist Paul Laffoley has died

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:03 am

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:12 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Laffoley

In a search for expanded opportunities, he went to New York in 1963 to work with the visionary artist and architect Frederick Kiesler, and was also recruited to view late-night TV for Andy Warhol in exchange for a place to sleep. Weekdays, Laffoley found employment with Emery Roth & Sons where he worked on the plans for the yet to be built World Trade Center Towers before being terminated upon his suggestion of bridges joining the two buildings.

At that time, Laffoley had been painting in the basement of his family home in Belmont on the weekends, completing his first fully mature vision: The Kali-Yuga: The End of the Universe at 424826 A.D. From this point forward, Laffoley began to formulate his unique trans-disciplinary approach to a new discipline combining, philosophy, science, architecture and spirituality to the practice of painting. Laffoley first began to organize his ideas in a format related to eastern mandalas, partially inspired by the late night patterns he watched for Warhol on late night television. This quickly developed into four general subcategories of paintings: Operating Systems, Psychotronic Devices, Meta-Energy, Time travel, and Lucid Dreaming. Conceived of as “structured singularities”, Laffoley never works in series, but rather approaches each project as a unique schematic. Working in a solitary lifestyle, each 73 ½ x 73 ½ inch canvas would take up to three years to paint and code. By the late 1980’s, Laffoley becan to move from the spiritual and the intellectual, to the view of his work as an interactive, physically engaging Psychotronic device, a modern approach to trans-disciplinary enlightment and its spiritual aura.

From an early age, Laffoley manifested an obsessive interest in UFO's. He has seen the movie The Day the Earth Stood Still 873 times. He explains that his obsessive interest in the film derives partly from a fascination with the architecture of the space ship in the film which, early on in his life, was subconscious. While he was still a child he made a vow to become an architect so that he could design flying saucers, although he did not become a registered architect until he was 50 years of age. "Two years later, in preparation for a major oral surgery, I was subjected to a routine cat-scan of my head. As a result, a miniature metallic-like "implant" was discovered in my brain near the pineal gland. A local chapter of MUFON (Mutual UFO Network) declared it to be a 'nanotechnological laboratory' capable of accelerating or retarding my brain activity. I have come to believe that the implant is extraterrestrial in origin and is the main motivation of my ideas and theories."

Belligerent Savant

Postby Grizzly » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:45 am

http://disinfo.com/2013/02/paul-laffole ... -universe/

Paul Laffoley’s Alchemy: The Telenomic Process of the Universe
By Philip Weaver on February 5, 2013 in News

Artist Paul Laffoley walks us through his painting, Alchemy: The Telenomic Process of the Universe, at the Kent Fine Art gallery in New York City.

The exhibition “extrapolates on the mission of the Boston Visionary Cell as it has related to Laffoley’s production over the past forty years.”

From the founding charter of the Boston Visionary Cell:

We . . . believe that the evocation of the mystical experience by means of symbols, which has functioned as part of the intentioning process throughout the course of human history, is the intended direction of evolution that becomes most expressive through visual art during those periods in history that are characterized by rapid change, e.g., the twentieth century, which has seen a series of movements from the Modern era to the Post-Modern era, finally culminating in the Bauharoque era.

Imperium Pictures is currently completing The Gent (a feature starring Genesis P-Orridge, Douglas Rushkoff et al), and a short in which British director Ken Russell portrays Aleister Crowley.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby coffin_dodger » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:07 am

Fantastic imagery - but can a man with such small testicles be trusted? (4.26sec)
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby nashvillebrook » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:33 pm

Just realized, Lafolley reminds me of an Observer from (the tv show) Fringe.

The sympathetic observer, September, could almost be sketched from him.

nashvillebrook

Postby brekin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:54 pm

Always loved his shit. He struck me as a mystical engineer. And his work is a great testament to combining the best of rigor with the best of intuition.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to General Discussion