It's complicated
2%
Other
4%

Total votes : 56

Re: Which gender are you?

Postby brainpanhandler » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:40 pm

Agent Orange Cooper » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:21 pm wrote:
brainpanhandler » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:07 am wrote:I didn't want to be bothered with explaining why AOC's post was a shitty thing to do. I try not to waste my time here with trolls and/or trollish behavior.

Please do, seeing as how I wasn't trolling. The issue in question is a very good example of what passes for activism these days. Or is a little sarcasm unwelcome here?

I just spent 10 minutes rereading the Sfgate article you linked to and composing an outline of a response to your original comment and subsequent question in my head and as my response got longer and longer I realized my initial assessment that your comment deserved no better than "Don't be a dickhead" was correct. Sorry. That's all you get this morning.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:59 pm

brainpanhandler » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:40 pm wrote:
brainpanhandler » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:07 am wrote:I didn't want to be bothered with explaining why AOC's post was a shitty thing to do. I try not to waste my time here with trolls and/or trollish behavior.

Please do, seeing as how I wasn't trolling. The issue in question is a very good example of what passes for activism these days. Or is a little sarcasm unwelcome here?

I just spent 10 minutes rereading the Sfgate article you linked to and composing an outline of a response to your original comment and subsequent question in my head and as my response got longer and longer I realized my initial assessment that your comment deserved no better than "Don't be a dickhead" was correct. Sorry. That's all you get this morning.

Don't be a dickhead.
Belligerent Savant

Postby brainpanhandler » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:04 pm

Belligerent Savant » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:59 pm wrote:
brainpanhandler » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:40 pm wrote:

Don't be a dickhead.

I reserve that for when people are being dickheads.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby slomo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:20 pm

Transgenderism is not a political movement motivated by progressive concerns; it's just the latest weapon in the Left's covert battle against feminism.

Because feminism is a major plank in the right wing platform.

The one good thing about all this is that we can finally acknowledge that the left/right dichotomy has no political reality.
slomo

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:21 pm

guruilla » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:55 pm wrote:
Luther Blissett » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:47 pm wrote:The small wins (and my evidence for "enlightenment") are most readily seen in the ways in which the younger generations differ from ours in terms of progressivism. Greater numbers of interpersonal relationships that cut across cultural barriers more than ever before, abandonment of organized religions, greater class consciousness in their realization that their generation can no longer do better than their parents', declining proportion of the population participating in the armed forces, greater environmental consciousness, etc. Social engineering fights against those factors and others.

Have you followed the Occult Yorkshire thread at all? Based on evidence there (found in my own family circles) the above is at best over-simplification, at worst just wrong. I mean that, of the changes we consider progressive many of them appear to have been "incepted" early on as elements of a more long-term plan, which I'd sum up as "preventing embodiment" (which is directly related to what the therapist refers to as being separated from our intuition) To simplify, how sure can we be that these apparently positive social changes have really assisted individuals to come into a direct experience of their own inner/spiritual natures?

I mean you could be totally right about trans rights being a trojan horse for transhumanism and that my support for trans people needs to be tempered a little bit so that it's a little more nuanced, but how far back to we take it?

That's a valid question, not a rhetorical one. I'd say pretty far. Maybe Plato? :tongout

I was following the Occult Yorkshire thread in the beginning, taking vigorous notes to apply to a project, but stopped pretty early on when I started chasing too many subbranches to the subject. I'll pick it back up sometime.

But if you think that multiculturalism, independence from paternalist institutions, thinking about alternative and forward-thinking economic models, peace, and love of nature and planet are co-opted (is this what you mean by "incepted"?) by power, what do you like in the world? I think that each of these positive social changes bring us closer together and make us better inward/outward facing beings.

Making friends with people from other cultures, nations and backgrounds at the very least gives the individual the chance to gain greater empathy and knowledge and less desirable to compete, especially to the point of violence, with other humans. Rather than giving in to globalization, we could reject imperialism and those deeply-ingrained "othering" notions imposed upon us. Small children don't understand what's different about other children who look different until they're told. Abandonment of organized religion at least opens the individual up to seeking some kind of gnosis or deeper, hidden meaning regarding consciousness and the universe. Organized religion is a barrier to reflection on the self and life in the universe. Thinking about a different kind of future economy frees the individual to wonder why we need debt at all, to learn about scarcity and abundance, resources and the global power elite. This could in turn lead one on a spiritual quest, but at the very least, I can't see how a group looking to prevent embodiment would ever want people realizing how fucked they've been and organizing around constructive alternatives that reject the Graeber notion of "debt." Rejecting war and embracing peace seems to me like the very last thing planners want. Isn't war needed in order to make their world, capitalism run? I'm not talking about acquiescing to force, I'm talking about a future that wakes up to the fallacy of warcraft because there are dwindling numbers of them vs. rapidly accelerating numbers of "us", who can all communicate. Young people's attitudes about Iraq are telling in this regard. My stepdaughter's peers are far more antiwar than my peers were in high school. And they certainly don't want us thinking about protecting nature. Why would a planner pollinate that seed? What else is there besides spiritual reflection when we contemplate the earth?

No, I'm asking what you want to do about trans people. What do you want us to do about them?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby guruilla » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:41 pm

Luther Blissett » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:21 pm wrote:I was following the Occult Yorkshire thread in the beginning, taking vigorous notes to apply to a project, but stopped pretty early on when I started chasing too many subbranches to the subject. I'll pick it back up sometime.

But if you think that multiculturalism, independence from paternalist institutions, thinking about alternative and forward-thinking economic models, peace, and love of nature and planet are co-opted (is this what you mean by "incepted"?) by power, what do you like in the world? I think that each of these positive social changes bring us closer together and make us better inward/outward facing beings.

Making friends with people from other cultures, nations and backgrounds at the very least gives the individual the chance to gain greater empathy and knowledge and less desirable to compete, especially to the point of violence, with other humans. Rather than giving in to globalization, we could reject imperialism and those deeply-ingrained "othering" notions imposed upon us. Small children don't understand what's different about other children who look different until they're told. Abandonment of organized religion at least opens the individual up to seeking some kind of gnosis or deeper, hidden meaning regarding consciousness and the universe. Organized religion is a barrier to reflection on the self and life in the universe. Thinking about a different kind of future economy frees the individual to wonder why we need debt at all, to learn about scarcity and abundance, resources and the global power elite. This could in turn lead one on a spiritual quest, but at the very least, I can't see how a group looking to prevent embodiment would ever want people realizing how fucked they've been and organizing around constructive alternatives that reject the Graeber notion of "debt." Rejecting war and embracing peace seems to me like the very last thing planners want. Isn't war needed in order to make their world, capitalism run? I'm not talking about acquiescing to force, I'm talking about a future that wakes up to the fallacy of warcraft because there are dwindling numbers of them vs. rapidly accelerating numbers of "us", who can all communicate. Young people's attitudes about Iraq are telling in this regard. My stepdaughter's peers are far more antiwar than my peers were in high school. And they certainly don't want us thinking about protecting nature. Why would a planner pollinate that seed? What else is there besides spiritual reflection when we contemplate the earth?

No, I'm asking what you want to do about trans people. What do you want us to do about them?

That’s quite the challenge, LB. You’re gonna make me work for my lunch! To start with the last first, I don’t want you or anyone to “do” anything about “trans people,” because I’m neither interested in nor qualified for proposing social strategies. For one thing, any sort of social strategy I might propose, even if I was that way inclined, would have to then be implemented by existing organizations, which in my jaded view are already compromised, simply by being part of the social structures. Alternatively one could start an org, but this then becomes compromised for the same reason. Every group ends up working towards the opposite of its proposed ends, because the group’s survival depends on NOT achieving the very aims that define it. Hence you have the medical industry conspiring to make people sick, a legal system that protects criminals, and so on.

However, one thing that I hope has become clear, to anyone closely reading this thread, is that the transgender/postgender agenda is quite distinct from transgender individuals, at least to a large degree, i.e., that a vast proportion of the push behind trans/postgenderism is not coming from individuals who have or wish to transition (yet), and that an unknown percentage (based on Willow’s quoted article alone) of transgender individuals are not supportive of the trans/postgender push.

Imagine a very different sort of community in which individuals with especially marked confusion around their sexual identity were given the necessary space and compassion (and attention) to BE LIMINAL, that is, to remain essentially noncommittal about their sexual or gender orientation. An environment where there was no social pressure to fit in at all (besides not being actively disruptive to the group).

How many individuals are now jumping aboard the transgender bandwagon because of a combination of the social pressure to conform in some way (the old world you say we are evolving past) with a more subtle pressure to conform to the non-conforming new identities that are being prepared for them, like commercial products that coincide with a cynical marketing campaign?

Simply put, the vastly increasing numbers of transgender-oriented individuals probably has nothing to do with a growing reality of transgenderism at a psychological or internal level, and everything to do with increased identity confusion combined with the ever-growing fear of being marginalized (because in liminal times, groups seek a scapegoat), further combined with ready-made identity-solutions that also happen to be means of vast profit for the ruling class and their corporations.

So when you say what would I have you do about the trans people, all I can say is, which one? The question suggests that they are a new species emerging among us. I don’t agree with that (though there is definite overlap with autistics, which is a form of neurodiversity). I think transgender is a way for social (and possibly biological) anomalies to reduce and contain their feeling of alienation by prematurely and over-literally identifying it in sexual, cultural terms, as relating to social identity, when social identity is the primary conceptual construct, whether it refers to “gender,” “race,” or “class” or all three.

What might someone struggling with an interior experience that doesn’t fit the social molds tell us, if we gave them the room to do so rather than dictating to them the terms of their own misfit-ness? (The same applies to autistics: the goal is always to cure, to socialize, to turn them into productive members of society, never to let them be and discover what they are.)

Regarding the other question, what do I like in the world? The easy answer would be “not much,” but it might give you the impression that I am a grumbling sourpuss who complains about everything, which is not really the case. I mostly enjoy being IN the world, and just do not enjoy it when the world tries to make me OF it. Besides superficial pleasures such as clean toilets, TV shows, and the local grocery store, what I like most in the world is encountering other sentient beings. I agree, personally, that there’s been enormous benefits from being able to travel and interact with different cultures and types of sentience. There’s no way I am advocating for a return to any sort of past social arrangement, and I am willing to allow that there are some improvements in our present way of life to that of a hundred or a thousand years ago (besides toilets and TV). I just can’t say with any certainty that these improvements have necessarily increased our chances, as individuals or collectively, of fully connecting to our interiorities, to our environment, and to each other at a meaningful level. It’s an impossible question, really. This is the world we have.

On the other hand, the prevailing ideology in the West is that the West is the Best, and that this is what progress looks like. And I don’t see any way to separate all of the good aspects of our western progress from the bad (which I do think vastly outnumber the good), or from the— apparently not just seriously advocated but quite viable— future of postgenderism, which I regard with unreserved horror. So overall, I have to say that things do not look good for us as a species, and that what might appear to be progress from a local standpoint, starts to look more and more like a diabolic soul trap the further you pull out (unless you pull out all the way to the milky way, at which point it starts looking pretty good again).

You mention peace movements and environmentalism. My grandfather, as you may recall, was very active in the peace movement in UK during the first half of last century, and I am 90% sure he was sincere. But, a) he was not a peaceful man himself, he was a bully; and b) there’s good reason to suppose that the peaceful protest template laid down in those days by Bertrand Russell and co (after Gandhi) may have been deliberately implemented by the ruling class in order to reduce incidents of violent revolt among the masses. That then leads to the possibility that the changes which were seemingly achieved via peaceful protest (such as under Gandhi in India) might have been changes that the ruling class had already accepted as inevitable (and maybe even desirable), and so were already willing to allow for ~ what appeared to be ~ genuine social change for the good via the work of well-meaning individuals. Not saying it’s so, just that it can’t be ruled out.

Again, if all of these social and ideological changes are leading to postgenderism, that doesn’t seem like a positive outcome for humanity, does it? This doesn’t mean that some of us aren’t able to navigate the maze of deception and employ the many weird and unexpected perks of personal freedom and seeming self-empowerment for our eventual embodiment or individuation, like by participating in a rare sort of undirected think tank such as RI. That’s perfectly compatible with my own view, which is that the more totalitarian the world becomes, the less freedom there really is to even think, much less speak, one’s truth, the greater the opportunity that presents for us to reach inward, to the place where we can’t be controlled. It’s like God uses Satan for his herder. We only come to the truth of ourselves when all other avenues (avenues of identification) are intolerable to us, when nothing else fits but the soul. Hence what many would see as black pessimism, for me feels quite optimistic. :yay

So the question of what to do with “these people” is the same as what to do with any lost soul (i.e., all of us): listen, connect, share as deeply as we are able, and only then consider the possibility (or need) for any sort of guidance. I don’t want to risk pontificating, but isn't the one thing that we really need (& also the only one thing that ever really helps) a working connection to our own sense of reality? Call it psyche or soul or intuition or God, once you have it, it doesn’t matter what you call it, and if you don't have it, no amount of naming (or self-identification) is going to get it.

Ideology, IMO, isn’t a means to establish a sense of reality, it's a really crappy surrogate for it, crappy most of all because it can be just persuasive enough to make us think we have found the real, and stop looking.
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby tapitsbo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:11 pm

There are liminal spaces for the young - these are MOST of the time distinct from institutional spaces, not always.

Belief in progress and the West being Best is rapidly becoming unsustainable, and I am thankful for this.

There is a freedom in the ability to connect and communicate, as Luther says. I like all of what you're saying in this post, Luther

Guruilla I think you have some really good ideas about this topic but it's easy to conflate things... I think there are agendas to mold being female and, as well, being male to the purposes of ugly politics - there is some overlap here with transgender stuff but there are a lot of people, individuals, involved as you say, who more often than not have good intentions and are not involved in Macchiavellian social engineering. Not all of the ideas are ill-intentioned, and even if they're contaminated with some malicious secret purpose at times, well, everything is potentially

I think violence against women IS central to a lot of the dark stuff talked about on this board. I also think there are aspects of what could sometimes be called "masculinity" that work against this violence. If ALL forms of masculinity are off the table, violence doesn't go away, especially not where we stand at in 2015 - it becomes increasingly a tool in the hands of technocrats. I grew up with the idea that all masculinity is toxic hanging heavily in the air, sort of like what slomo was talking about. I'm not going to get into some deep exploration of this right now, but I think it's a mistake to just say "ban masculinity" and expect the world to be healed and move merrily along.

A non-violent but non-acquiescent resistance has the potential to be powerful indeed (and the books by someone like Gene Sharp show how it can become an instrument of very violent groups). But it's interesting how force gets distributed, always. I am haunted by a young man I met who was committed deeply to non-violent revolution but had convinced himself that starving people who disagree with the community consensus is somehow a solution to our ills.
tapitsbo

Postby yathrib » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:36 pm

Transgenderism bastardises the core feminist insight that "woman" is a politically defined social category generated by male violence and the exclusion, expropriation and colonisation of female human beings. Rendered as a Leftist wedge issue, this insight becomes the distorted proposition that "woman" is a flexible human "identity" with which any individual might associate themselves - even fully-grown rational male human beings.

I think the problem is the superficiality and vacuity of what passes for today's left, not so much the conscious evil, as the author seems to think. But anyway, this.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst that justice prevail.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
yathrib

Postby guruilla » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:39 pm

yathrib » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:36 pm wrote: not so much the conscious evil

??

What would "conscious evil" look like?!
guruilla

Postby tapitsbo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:41 pm

Who might have not only had an interest in making such movements vacuous and superficial, but also succeeded in doing so?

The etymology of the word evil harkens back to a kind of transcendence. Seems to me like you've pondered the nature of conscious evil quite a bit, guruilla!
tapitsbo

Postby guruilla » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:52 pm

tapitsbo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:41 pm wrote:Who might have not only had an interest in making such movements vacuous and superficial, but also succeeded in doing so?

The etymology of the word evil harkens back to a kind of transcendence. Seems to me like you've pondered the nature of conscious evil quite a bit, guruilla!

It seemed when I read it above like a clear contradiction in terms. Conscious deception yes; conscious cruelty, yes. But conscious evil? I can't grok it. I mean, cannot conceive of any individual consciously committing what they recognize to be "evil." The closest would be the Sabbatean thing of committing evil acts to bring about the Apocalypse and the return of the messiah, in which case, presumably the belief would be "for the greater good"? Anyway, one for another thread, probably. Carry on.
guruilla

Postby yathrib » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:53 pm

What would "conscious evil" look like?!

See "illuminati." I mean it semi ironically.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
yathrib

Postby tapitsbo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:57 pm

guruilla » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:52 pm wrote:
tapitsbo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:41 pm wrote:Who might have not only had an interest in making such movements vacuous and superficial, but also succeeded in doing so?

It seemed when I read it above like a clear contradiction in terms. Conscious deception yes; conscious cruelty, yes. But conscious evil? I can't grok it. I mean, cannot conceive of any individual consciously committing what they recognize to be "evil." The closest would be the Sabbatean thing of committing evil acts to bring about the Apocalypse and the return of the messiah, in which case, presumably the belief would be "for the greater good"? Anyway, one for another thread, probably. Carry on.

Funny how close this Sabbataean thing sounds to "riding the tiger for the overcoming of the Kali Yuga", or other far-right mystical sloganeering.

It's funny that what Rene Guenon called the "counter-tradition" was largely built off the same assumption of his Traditionalism that all holy mysteries are referring to the same truth. But yeah this is a totally different topic.
tapitsbo

Postby yathrib » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:58 pm

I think it was a side effect of the strong arm tactics of Cointelpro, and the general delegitimization of serious leftist thought through the 80s. I think they really just wanted the left to go away. It didn't, but it became silly and ineffectual.

tapitsbo » 25 Nov 2015 20:41 wrote:Who might have not only had an interest in making such movements vacuous and superficial, but also succeeded in doing so?

yathrib

Postby Elvis » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:28 pm

tapitsbo wrote: there are aspects of what could sometimes be called "masculinity" that work against this violence. If ALL forms of masculinity are off the table, violence doesn't go away, especially not where we stand at in 2015 - it becomes increasingly a tool in the hands of technocrats. I grew up with the idea that all masculinity is toxic hanging heavily in the air, sort of like what slomo was talking about. I'm not going to get into some deep exploration of this right now, but I think it's a mistake to just say "ban masculinity" and expect the world to be healed and move merrily along.

My girlfriend has mentioned over the years that one thing she likes about me is that I "have masculine qualites without being macho." That made me realize that one thing I like about her is that she has feminine qualities but is very independent doesn't accept the "weaker sex" label. She's way better than I am at working on cars. I'm more active in the kitchen (we don't live together but we dine in together once a week or so and I always cook).

I see no reason to discourage masculine and feminine qualities—that's the way nature works, and denying nature, in my view, is one of the abominations of technocracy. At the same time I see no reason—nor does nature—to limit everyone to a strictly binary gender/sexuality or expect them to satisfy cultural expectations.

Ever notice that both real and fictional AI-imbued computer 'personae' are almost always either 'male' or 'female'? Will the transhumanists be able to get away from that?

I see some "white male worry" in this thread that I don't get. One of the transexuals (they had the 'operation' decades ago) I know is a beloved activist around town, but not concerning gender—she's much too busy working on issues like water quality and land use. She's allowed to be comfortable in her own skin and just get on with her useful and productive life.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion