5%
It's complicated
2%
Other
4%

Total votes : 56

Re: Which gender are you?

Postby tapitsbo » Sat May 21, 2016 12:40 pm

These older isms are both obscure and don't have much of a public following. That aside, apparently a lot of people consider these "newer" waves that we've grown up with to be the same old shit we've been on the receiving end of for some years, courtesy of dominant institutions...
tapitsbo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Sat May 21, 2016 1:09 pm

I've known a number of gay and trans people over the years, many of them still friends, some sadly dead. But I would not expect them to go into a restroom they did not feel comfortable in. It is a thorny issue for sure, but basically I don't give a fuck. We have a few New Yorkers here but I remember having to go find a restroom once in NYC and I went back out to ask where the men's restroom was. They said it was the one that said WC. So it clearly works.

Here's another one. Many men's restrooms in say like places that are a dive bar, the stall doors are half sized. So obviously say you gotta take a dump, it becomes a humiliating experience cos everyone can see you. If you gotta shower save it for home. It really isn't that hard. In my years of dealing with this shit from customers I would just say go ahead and use the women's. Also, why would anyone ever want to go to the bathroom in the women's restroom at an arena or stadium? The lines are ridiculous. I dunno. While thorny, I don't see it as a big deal.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby norton ash » Sat May 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Also, why would anyone ever want to go to the bathroom in the women's restroom at an arena or stadium? The lines are ridiculous.

Unless it's a Rush concert! :bigsmile

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_ ... h_concert_
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby 82_28 » Sat May 21, 2016 1:34 pm

LOL!!!!
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sat May 21, 2016 1:41 pm

Sorry. Just had to include the HOTLINKED image.
82_28

Postby American Dream » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:39 pm wrote:
American Dream » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:32 pm wrote:Pitting Transfeminism against Cisfeminism is to me, unneccesary...

Sure, but...

...that's your privilege showing, right?

I'm actually not making a joke here.

Many people beyond the small minority of folks directly involved in the "Terf Wars" believe that these flame fests served mostly to strengthen entrenched positions and emphasize identity concerns at the expense of developing our capacity to materially grapple with capital, patriarchy & race as part of a functional whole.
American Dream

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:23 pm

Bryter » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:10 am wrote:
Project Willow » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:23 am wrote:And woo-hoo, Caitlyn Jenner is "woman" of the year. :wallhead:

But of course. First it was Dances With Wolves, then Avatar, The Last Samuirai and so on. The white man is always the best shining example of whatever minority or culture he appropriates. It was only a matter of time before the white man went from being "the best indian" to "the best woman". :shrug:

Bono named on Glamour magazine's Women of the Year list

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37845314
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby guruilla » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:24 pm

Bono: "Need . . . more . . . pussy."

Bono-Handler: "I'll make some calls."
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:50 pm

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby American Dream » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:46 am

Facing the Mirror: Lesbian Writing from India (1999)

you can read more from this anthology here
American Dream

Postby identity » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:08 am

Teens in therapeutic boarding school adopt atypical gender behaviors to reassert dominance

While studying the rapid growth of the therapeutic boarding school industry, Jessica A. Pfaffendorf observed that troubled young men in at least one program most often displayed a type of "hybrid masculinity."

This observation -- young men incorporating more feminine behaviors in their social interactions while at boarding school -- presented a notable incongruence.

Earlier research has found that males in traditional boarding and preparatory school settings are prone to display masculine behaviors to signal their wealth, self-worth, and strength. In those settings, such behaviors have been positively linked to future attainment and success, said Pfaffendorf, a doctoral candidate in the University of Arizona School of Sociology.

But Pfaffendorf, who will present her research in a paper at the 111th Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association (ASA), found that young men at the therapeutic boarding school she studied intentionally used more feminine behaviors for personal benefit. Whereas traditional boarding schools have tended to focus on academics and college preparation, therapeutic boarding schools are specifically designed for those with emotional and behavioral challenges.

Pfaffendorf's findings are part of a larger investigation she began conducting in 2012 on the rise of therapeutic boarding schools. About 300 of these elite residential treatment centers exist in the United States, a number representing a threefold increase in the last two decades, Pfaffendorf said.

Such programs generally cater to those aged 13 to 18 who have behavioral and psychological issues, and who are dealing with addictions. Tuition for these programs can range between $75,000 and $100,000 annually, and they exist most often to help young adults graduate from high school, while offering interventions. Most often, upper-class, white young men enroll, Pfaffendorf said.

As part of her research, Pfaffendorf spent two years observing and conducting interviews at a therapeutic boarding school located in the Southwest region of the U.S.

The program in the Southwest operated on an active ranch, involving the young men in the grooming, riding, and training of horses, as well as wilderness excursions with counselors. The program, like most others nationally, also reinforced values associated with relationship building, interdependence, recognition of one's powerlessness, communality, and the open expression of emotions.

Pfaffendorf found that the young men often "spoke at length about their feelings, expressed emotion openly, and freely admitted their past wrongs and the guilt that came along with them." These men also described themselves as being more mature and having more purpose than their counterparts attending traditional schools.

"By communicating and responding maturely to situations, students maintain that they are better leaders and better able to succeed than other young men," Pfaffendorf said. "In these ways, students use hybrid masculinities to reassert dominance," particularly over those attending traditional schools.

It is important to note here that sociologists understand gender not as a biological occurrence, but as culturally-defined behaviors that are learned and performed.

Also important, Pfaffendorf found that the men did not fully embrace feminine demeanors. Instead, they aligned masculine and feminine styles with intention -- namely to assert that they were in control of their emotions and were, therefore, more mature than their peers.

Given the national discourse about male masculinity, often evoked during conversations about acts of violence carried out by boys and men, Pfaffendorf believes her findings may offer insight about how and why some young men adopt styles that are not usually perceived as "manly."

"Limited research attributes the growth of therapeutic boarding schools to a series of cultural events. The initial development of the therapeutic boarding school coincides with the height of the 'war on drugs' in the late 1980s," Pfaffendorf said. "In the immediate years after the Columbine shootings, the number of therapeutic schools increased six times over."

Pfaffendorf also found that hybrid masculinity was regarded positively. The young men were often rewarded in certain circumstances by women, employers, and educational organizations.

"In sum, students in therapeutic boarding schools may appropriate feminine qualities, but these qualities are used to reassert masculine dominance -- sustaining prevailing gender norms," Pfaffendorf said. "This contributes to what others have called the 'flexibility of patriarchy' -- that privileged men are able to mobilize feminine characteristics to their advantage and to assert dominance."

Pfaffendorf suggests that future research should evaluate the long-term implications of therapeutic boarding schools, and whether young men maintain their hybrid masculinity or return to more dominant forms of masculinity.
We should never forget Galileo being put before the Inquisition.
It would be even worse if we allowed scientific orthodoxy to become the Inquisition.

Richard Smith, Editor in Chief of the British Medical Journal 1991-2004,
in a published letter to Nature
identity

Postby brekin » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:24 pm

Drag queens are reading books to kids to help fight gender stereotypes
by Reed Dunlea
http://circa.com/lifestyle/drag-queen-story-hour

At a Brooklyn public library, drag queen Merrie Cherry read a few books to children and their parents.
Not your typical drag show
This is not the typical venue for Merrie Cherry's drag performance. "I haven't been around this many children in a long time. I've been around a lot of drunk people falling around, so it was very similar, you know, people trying to grab things from me," she joked.
Cherry does regular shows at bars around New York City, usually with a much older crowd than the kids she read to here. But the common thread is promoting acceptance.
Rachel Aimee is a writer and editor with Feminist Press. She began putting on Brooklyn's Drag Queen Story Hour after she heard about RADAR Productions doing the same thing in San Francisco.
"I really like that this program brings queer people and kids together in a way that isn't trying to hide queerness but is putting it at the forefront in a way that's really fun."
Libraries all over Brooklyn
The story hour has hosted multiple New York-based drag queens as readers, and has been held at different public library branches around Brooklyn.
They also use the events to promote their books, like KAMALA: Feminist Folktales from Around the World: Volume II and What Flowers Say.

I think we've got a situation here.
This situation is out of my hands.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby American Dream » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:42 am

Game Maker Avery Alder on the Mechanics of Care

I starting playing with goblin in late 2016, as part of a project of figuring out what wasn’t working for me in the communities I already seek identity with, namely queer and punk.

I’m a stepmom to homeschoolers, and so kid-friendly intergenerational spaces have become really important to me. I’m chronically ill and often fatigued, and so value low-barrier spaces that reject ableism. I want to spend my time in spaces that are thoroughly political, not in the sense of writing communiques and droning on about theorists, just in the sense of offering free childcare and bread, of putting harm reduction supplies in the bathroom. I want to build community in solidarity with crazy people and poor people and to reject respectability whenever possible.

The more I found myself talking critically about the communities I seek identity with, the more I started thinking, “well, this is a boring use of my time.” And so instead of fixating on ways that existing communities don’t make space for my needs and ideals, I started imagining what communities don’t exist yet that would serve them perfectly.

Goblin was born out of that. I talked about it sporadically for a few months, rooting around for axioms and motifs to anchor my thoughts.

In November, a friend asked me about goblin, and I wrote her saying “being goblin is a way of flagging that you want to include people not in spite of their sloppiness and uneven emotional growth, but because of it – because goblins come as they are, and they grow in community with one another. Being goblin means being intergenerational in an un-precious way. It means that kids are a part of community, that their messes and tantrums and experiments and giggles all take place between our feet. It’s about acknowledging disability and madness and trauma in a way that removes normalcy as our baseline.

Every body is a weird body and weird is good. Accommodating one another’s weirdness isn’t just worthwhile and important, and it’s not useful to frame it as noble or anything like that. Accommodating one another’s weirdness is the literal basis of goblin community. It’s how you nest, it’s how you romp, it’s what goblins always and necessarily do.”

It’s a fun thought project: to imagine a community that would wholly embrace and empower you and to imagine how you might communicate belongingness to those who you share that community with. Like for me, it’s goblin. It’s helped me learn more about what I want to contribute to the world.

Read at: http://www.maskmagazine.com/the-materia ... er-on-care
American Dream

Postby brekin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:01 pm

identity » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:08 am wrote:Teens in therapeutic boarding school adopt atypical gender behaviors to reassert dominance

While studying the rapid growth of the therapeutic boarding school industry, Jessica A. Pfaffendorf observed that troubled young men in at least one program most often displayed a type of "hybrid masculinity."
This observation -- young men incorporating more feminine behaviors in their social interactions while at boarding school -- presented a notable incongruence.
Earlier research has found that males in traditional boarding and preparatory school settings are prone to display masculine behaviors to signal their wealth, self-worth, and strength. In those settings, such behaviors have been positively linked to future attainment and success, said Pfaffendorf, a doctoral candidate in the University of Arizona School of Sociology.
But Pfaffendorf, who will present her research in a paper at the 111th Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association (ASA), found that young men at the therapeutic boarding school she studied intentionally used more feminine behaviors for personal benefit. Whereas traditional boarding schools have tended to focus on academics and college preparation, therapeutic boarding schools are specifically designed for those with emotional and behavioral challenges.

Pfaffendorf's findings are part of a larger investigation she began conducting in 2012 on the rise of therapeutic boarding schools. About 300 of these elite residential treatment centers exist in the United States, a number representing a threefold increase in the last two decades, Pfaffendorf said.
Such programs generally cater to those aged 13 to 18 who have behavioral and psychological issues, and who are dealing with addictions. Tuition for these programs can range between $75,000 and $100,000 annually, and they exist most often to help young adults graduate from high school, while offering interventions. Most often, upper-class, white young men enroll, Pfaffendorf said.

As part of her research, Pfaffendorf spent two years observing and conducting interviews at a therapeutic boarding school located in the Southwest region of the U.S.
The program in the Southwest operated on an active ranch, involving the young men in the grooming, riding, and training of horses, as well as wilderness excursions with counselors. The program, like most others nationally, also reinforced values associated with relationship building, interdependence, recognition of one's powerlessness, communality, and the open expression of emotions.

Pfaffendorf found that the young men often "spoke at length about their feelings, expressed emotion openly, and freely admitted their past wrongs and the guilt that came along with them." These men also described themselves as being more mature and having more purpose than their counterparts attending traditional schools.
"By communicating and responding maturely to situations, students maintain that they are better leaders and better able to succeed than other young men," Pfaffendorf said. "In these ways, students use hybrid masculinities to reassert dominance," particularly over those attending traditional schools.
It is important to note here that sociologists understand gender not as a biological occurrence, but as culturally-defined behaviors that are learned and performed.

Also important, Pfaffendorf found that the men did not fully embrace feminine demeanors. Instead, they aligned masculine and feminine styles with intention -- namely to assert that they were in control of their emotions and were, therefore, more mature than their peers.
Given the national discourse about male masculinity, often evoked during conversations about acts of violence carried out by boys and men, Pfaffendorf believes her findings may offer insight about how and why some young men adopt styles that are not usually perceived as "manly."

"Limited research attributes the growth of therapeutic boarding schools to a series of cultural events. The initial development of the therapeutic boarding school coincides with the height of the 'war on drugs' in the late 1980s," Pfaffendorf said. "In the immediate years after the Columbine shootings, the number of therapeutic schools increased six times over."
Pfaffendorf also found that hybrid masculinity was regarded positively. The young men were often rewarded in certain circumstances by women, employers, and educational organizations.

"In sum, students in therapeutic boarding schools may appropriate feminine qualities, but these qualities are used to reassert masculine dominance -- sustaining prevailing gender norms," Pfaffendorf said. "This contributes to what others have called the 'flexibility of patriarchy' -- that privileged men are able to mobilize feminine characteristics to their advantage and to assert dominance."
Pfaffendorf suggests that future research should evaluate the long-term implications of therapeutic boarding schools, and whether young men maintain their hybrid masculinity or return to more dominant forms of masculinity.

Interesting. I wonder how much does this stem from the demonization of the "upper class white male?". These youth definitely are that demographic:

Increasingly, upper educated affluent white males have two choices: dig in and be completely non-apologetic about any privileges and become the caricature of a snarky young alt-right William F. Buckely, or accept the original sin of being a rich white male and spend the rest of your life atoning and apologizing for the sins of your fathers and your very existence. The gender thing of late though can be a new progressive narrative lifeline of sorts for this group I'd imagine (as being Jewish, gay, troubled, artisitic, environmentally or politically active were variables that gave some redemption.) These elite white males think they are better & better leaders (read more elite) than their other elite brethren because they can flex between so called perceived masculine and feminine behaviors. And one imagines the general riff raff in even more traditional schools.

And it even goes one further, no doubt if one decides to identify further, not only am I not technically a white "male" anymore, but I'm trans, not only being misunderstood, but persecuted and rare, like a threatened species. And from what I can gather, (bear with my outdated firmware here), you can be a guy who is trans but digs chicks. So, all the sensitive androgynous emo type dudes who use to get laid with girls in the past by cribbin the Robert Smith ethos and sharing their girl friends make up kit, can basically be doing the same thing now, but enjoy federal protection to boot and their own bathroom. This is a simplification, and yes describing a subset above that already affords protections and privileges that say the recently murdered trans victims in LA don't have. But it is pretty telling that these elite, insular therapeutic schools for elite trouble teens are providing, encouraging and rewarding the script that they flex between feminine and masculine qualities (the ones that of course benefit them) to be better than their peers.

Like most things, this is a power grab. Granted, I can see how some/most people in the trans community are trying to get empowered to self identify. But this example shows that this can be a tactic also of the future corporate leaders of America schooling us on "the realities" of gender, identity, etc. to conform to their precepts, which from the looks of things are becoming more gender fluid. Can't wait for the corporate training that has a gender identity component where these very same grown sons of Captains of Industry back from their therapeutic dude ranches/schools (dang, coke snorting only on holidays) will strongly encourage all employees to "speak at length about your feelings, express your emotions openly, and freely admitted your past wrongs and the guilt that comes along with them" around your privileges and concepts of gender identity.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby tapitsbo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Is there demonization of "elite white males"?

All through the US election the media megaphone was consistent in demonizing the "white working class".
tapitsbo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion