Mothers should rule the world

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Mothers should rule the world

Postby PufPuf93 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:59 am

AlicetheKurious » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:24 pm wrote:
slomo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:39 pm wrote:do you think the choice of "ISIS" as the (western translation of) a name for a terrorist group was an intentional attempt to hijack the energy of the goddess Isis? Alice (or anybody), what is the etymology/origin of that specific name/abbreviation? It's kind of strange that "Isis" is now associated with extremely lethal terrorist activity.

Not to hijack the energy of the goddess Isis, but to desecrate what she represents. Also a Masonic inside joke, or code.

As for the terrorist proxies, the name under which they first emerged was in Arabic, and means Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant ("Dawla Islameya fel 'Iraq wal Sham") a very awkward name in Arabic, with a nonsensical acronym, "Daesh". As I've mentioned before, acronyms are very, very rare in Arabic, unlike in the West, and especially in the US. From its earliest emergence, the group was greeted with skepticism by Arabs, many of whom have noted that they're not in the least Islamic, nor a state, and how the heck have these losers been able to get all those weapons and fancy watches and brand-new trucks, and how have they been able to take over strategic parts of Iraq and Syria without ever, once, being filmed actually fighting the armies of either? All their videos show them parading in empty areas or murdering or torturing civilians, most of whom are already tied up and helpless.

But in English, the name was announced as "Islamic State in Iraq and Syria", with the acronym "ISIS", both of which were credible to Western audiences. As was their supposed "Islamic" self-identification, and all the other outlandish claims about them.

The use of Isis as a marketing brand and cultural desecration has seemed obvious to me since the acronym ISIS was the new term in the western media.

Now a decade pass, the same media outlets and US-led coalition used "Shock and Awe" to market the invasion of Iraq. "Shock and Awe" was a name for overt terrorism but also was close in form, pronunciation, and cadence to the cultural and spiritual term "Shekhinah". I thought at the time and since that this was a part of the planned military psyops that was "Shock and Awe". But on the few times over the years I have mentioned "Shekhinah" regards the invasion of Iraq to others, others pulled a blank as the term is not as well known nor as obvious ISIS and the goddess Isis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shekhinah
PufPuf93

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:09 pm

PufPuf93 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:59 am wrote:The use of Isis as a marketing brand and cultural desecration has seemed obvious to me since the acronym ISIS was the new term in the western media.

Now a decade pass, the same media outlets and US-led coalition used "Shock and Awe" to market the invasion of Iraq. "Shock and Awe" was a name for overt terrorism but also was close in form, pronunciation, and cadence to the cultural and spiritual term "Shekhinah". I thought at the time and since that this was a part of the planned military psyops that was "Shock and Awe". But on the few times over the years I have mentioned "Shekhinah" regards the invasion of Iraq to others, others pulled a blank as the term is not as well known nor as obvious ISIS and the goddess Isis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shekhinah

That is amazing, PufPuf93. The word "Sekinah" in Arabic means "divine peace", or "God-inspired peace". It is a common name for girls. In that Wikipedia page, there is a verse from the Quran, in which the Arabic word "Sekinah" ("Shekinah" in Hebrew) is translated as "tranquility".

Their prophet said to them: "The sign of his kingship is that the Ark will come to you in which there is tranquility from your Lord and a relic from the family of Moses and the family of Aaron, borne by the angels.

If we substitute the Hebrew word Shakinah for the original Arabic Sakinah:

Their prophet said to them: "The sign of his kingship is that the Ark will come to you in which there is Shakinah from your Lord and a relic from the family of Moses and the family of Aaron, borne by the angels.

And then:

Their prophet said to them: "The sign of his kingship is that the Ark will come to you in which there is Shock and Awe from your Lord and a relic from the family of Moses and the family of Aaron, borne by the angels".

Is it a coincidence that the first US invasion of Iraq ended on Purim, the second US invasion of Iraq occurred on Purim, and the US invasion of Libya also occurred on Purim?

The phrase "Shock and Awe" derives from the nineteenth-century German military theorist Clausewitz. It was brought to the United States by Dr. Harlan Ullman, a senior associate at the Center for Strategic and International Studies and a man of deep influence in the Bush administration, whose acumen as a strategic thinker has been lauded by Colin Powell. The doctrine of "rapid dominance" expounded by Dr. Ullman is the key to the strategy that General Myers and others now find themselves preparing to execute.

Extreme clarity marks the doctrines and maxims of Dr. Ullman. For him, a major precedent to guide American military policy in the twenty-first century, and a clue to the effect on enemy morale intended by Shock and Awe, was the dropping of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The Japanese were shocked into immediate surrender. The greatness of such an overwhelming attack, according to Ullman, lies in its capacity to inflict on the enemy an instant paralysis of the will to fight. It assures that an entire people will be "intimidated, made to feel so impotent, so helpless, that they have no choice but to do what we want them to do." It might be objected that this amounts to an endorsement of the use of weapons of mass terror, since concussive paralysis and the injury of non-combatants are among the intended effects of such an attack. The implicit answer offered by Ullman and his admirers is that the end justifies the means, and in a case involving the United States, the end is always benign.

"Super tools and weapons -- information age equivalents of the atomic bomb -- have to be invented," Dr. Ullman wrote in an opinion piece for the Economic Times. "As the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki finally convinced the Japanese Emperor and High Command that even suicidal resistance was futile, these tools must be directed towards a similar outcome" against the smaller and less threatening countries that now stand in the way of American power. But terrorism has many hiding places in a city. In order to eradicate it, you must destroy every common resource for survival. "You have this simultaneous effect," says Ullman, "rather like the nuclear weapons at Hiroshima, not taking days or weeks but in minutes."

In the first Gulf War, 10 percent of the weapons were precision guided. In this war, 80 percent will be precision guided. The Air Force has stockpiled 6,000 guidance kits in the Persian Gulf to convert ordinary bombs into satellite-guided bombs, a weapon that did not exist in the first war. So, "you're sitting in Baghdad" Ullman told the CBS News reporter David Martin, in anticipation of the first missiles that are to be launched, "and all of a sudden you're the general and 30 of your division headquarters have been wiped out. You also take the city down. By that I mean you get rid of their power, water. In 2,3,4,5 days they are physically, emotionally and psychologically exhausted."

To what condition do we intend to reduce Baghdad? Here Ullman gives substance to the obscure intimations of General Myers. In addition to destroying military targets, the strategy calls for treating an entire city the size of Los Angeles as an ocean in which the army swims. When you want the army to surrender fast, you drain the water; and Ullman has surveyed the range of newly available methods with clinical calm. Our ability "to turn the lights on and off of an adversary as we choose, will so overload the perception, knowledge, and understanding of that adversary that there will be no choice except to cease and desist or risk complete and total destruction." No wonder General Myers warned Americans to get used to the idea that civilians will die.

This war has been conceived, among other things, as a demonstration. It is important not only for what it does to Iraq but for what it shows the United States can do to any nation that defies our will. Afterward, the dominant emotion toward the United States in the rest of the world is likely to be fear. This is an effect that the war on Iraq certainly intends; but once the result is achieved, it will be hard to remember without regret a time when many people elsewhere felt affection and admiration more than fear of the United States. Link

I started this thread because though I'm still struggling to understand what is happening below the surface, I'm disgusted by the use of the name "Isis" to refer to the monstrous, bloodthirsty zombie proxies of the Zio-American empire. Isis is the goddess of motherhood, of healing, of love. She represents, to many Egyptians even today, the heroism and fearlessness of a mother defending her husband and her young.

The emergence of "ISIS" from Iraq, where the Zio-American empire implanted it through "Shock and Awe", coincided precisely with the overthrow of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt in the summer of 2013. Women were at the forefront of the struggle against the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, and the resistance movement began with the proliferation of videos that showed Egyptian women, many of them middle-aged or elderly, scolding or haranguing and in a few cases even hitting Muslim Brothers or Salafists with their bare hands. This was a spontaneous phenomenon that appeared across the country, and it destroyed once and for all the mystique and aura of power the Islamists had struggled so hard to build. It was women who broke the barrier of fear. The sight of the big, bad thug Ahmed Mogheer terrorized and bleeding after the young female reporter Rasha Azab beat him on the head with her shoe, made the formerly fearsome Brotherhood into a national laughing-stock.

When the MB 'fought back', they made things even worse for themselves. This iconic photo, of an Brother trying to silence an elderly protester, caused nation-wide outrage:

In 2012, newspapers hailed "The Rise of Isis", retelling the story of how Isis struggled to find and gather the pieces of her husband's corpse, and then using magic, breathed life into him once again, and then became impregnated by him, giving birth to Horus, the falcon-headed god whose right eye represented the sun, or power, and whose left eye represented the moon, or healing.

It is striking that, at the same time "Isis" rose up in Egypt to defeat the MB, "ISIS" appeared out of the smoking ruins of Iraq. That's what got me thinking: how the Zio-American empire takes words and concepts that have great meaning, and literally desecrates them, so they mean the opposite. And now, you've provided another example, of how "Shock and Awe" can be heard as "Shakinah", and made to mean the exact opposite.

That started me thinking about all sorts of things, like "Pussy Riot" being considered "feminist heroines" because they put on a blasphemous show inside a Russian Orthodox church, and speaking of churches, about how the Catholic Church has been irrevocably associated in many people's minds with child sexual abuse. The Jewish religious faith has been substituted for a savage lust for land, and nothing else. Similarly, Islam is being buried under a monstrous golem that has trampled it into the ground, along with millions of helpless innocents. These observations, and many more, have been slowly incubating inside me, culminating in the question, "is there anything sacred, anything at all, that is not being attacked and profaned and dragged into the mud, and transformed into its opposite?" It's becoming increasingly clear that the answer is "no".
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Postby guruilla » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:17 pm

Perhaps one definition of the sacred would be that which cannot be profaned?
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:14 pm

guruilla » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:17 pm wrote:Perhaps one definition of the sacred would be that which cannot be profaned?

No, I don't think so.

sa·cred (sā′krĭd)
adj.
1. Dedicated to or set apart for the worship of a deity.
2. Worthy of religious veneration: the sacred teachings of the Buddha.
3. Made or declared holy: sacred bread and wine.
4. Dedicated or devoted exclusively to a single use, purpose, or person: sacred to the memory of her sister; a private office sacred to the President.
5. Worthy of respect; venerable.
6. Of or relating to religious objects, rites, or practices.

I think that humans need to hold some things separate, inviolable, and to feel through them a connection to the divine or transcendent. These don't have to be tangible symbolic objects, but could be ideas or principles or values, or prayers or even feelings. These are what give life meaning, raise our experience to another level, and without them we are greatly weakened and reduced, and easily broken.
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Postby tapitsbo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:17 pm

This weakened state worsens into parched thirst when even sweetly trickling reservoirs of woo are retracted out of the reach of outstretched tongues.
tapitsbo

Postby slomo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:25 pm

tapitsbo » 13 Dec 2015 12:17 wrote:This weakened state worsens into parched thirst when even sweetly trickling reservoirs of woo are retracted out of the reach of outstretched tongues.

Did you just make that up? It's brilliant.
slomo

Postby slomo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:28 pm

I don't believe RibbonFarm is the last word on everything, but I find the essays there to be very thought-provoking.

I'll add this to the mix: Weaponized Sacredness.

How does sacredness operate, and what are its tendencies? Here I will outline thirteen observations about sacredness warfare:

1. “Sacredness binds and blinds.” This is Jonathan Haidt’s mantra from The Righteous Mind, suggesting that sacredness has an emotional component that encourages social bonding and protective outrage, as well as a cognitive component that induces “blindness” – to counterarguments, or to the humanity of heretics.

2. Sacredness implies an in-group and an out-group. In-group members are perceivers of the sacredness (or competent pretenders); out-group members are non-perceivers, heretics, enemies of the group.

3. Sacredness offers belonging to the in-group, but threatens exile for violations of sacredness or insufficient piety.

4. Sacred values must be signaled as valuable in a sufficiently costly manner that sincerity is assured (or a believable public demonstration of sincerity, which anyway has the same effect on both members and outsiders).

5. Ritual energizes the maintenance of sacredness and its power, a costly signal displayed to all (sincere believers or otherwise).

6. Attacking rival sacrednesses or heretics provides evidence of sincerity or commitment to the sacredness. Attacking other believers for insufficient piety will do if heretics are not available.

7. A sacredness battle is won when expressing contradictory or disrespectful thoughts is effectively prohibited by a preference falsification equilibrium; people must either learn to feel the new sacredness, or pretend to.

8. But even as individual battles may be won, new challengers will appear; something that remains sacred for a long time has likely happened upon (evolved, that is to say) defenses against potential rival sacrednesses.

9. Genuinely perceiving sacredness is probably the most reliable, believable way to signal respect for the sacredness and stay in the in-group.

10. Most people are capable, to a limited degree, of altering their perception of sacredness based on social cues; that is, something that is sincerely experienced as sacred, may years later be come to be experienced as silly or mundane, or, more commonly, as evil or vile.

11. Irony and sincerity are not mutually exclusive; it is difficult to measure the components of each in an action.

12. Anything attacking or threatening a preference falsification equilibrium usually wants to replace it with a different preference falsification equilibrium.

13. The new order brought about by a change in sacredness may make everyone worse off than before, and it is impossible to predict its effects before the fact.
slomo

Postby guruilla » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:29 pm

AlicetheKurious » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:14 pm wrote:I think that humans need to hold some things separate, inviolable, and to feel through them a connection to the divine or transcendent. These don't have to be tangible symbolic objects, but could be ideas or principles or values, or prayers or even feelings. These are what give life meaning, raise our experience to another level, and without them we are greatly weakened and reduced, and easily broken.

I don't see that as a problem though. To paraphrase Blake, what can be profaned must be profaned.

Maybe it depends whether our focus is on this world or on beyond this world? (That sounded more Christian than I would have liked.)

My own experience with this is that when things become distorted, seemingly ruined (profaned) on the surface, that is an invitation to go deeper inward, like in a marriage when the initial more romantic experience of love and honoring and all that turns into Beirut. Then the challenge is to locate what these external "offerings" pointed to, to go beyond the surface emotions and the rituals and symbols, and to what can't be named or defined or represented. That's the thing I mean that can't be profaned.

If the sacred could be profaned in any real sense, there would be nothing sacred left. Maybe that's a real fear for some people, but it seems to me that it misses the point of what the sacred is: that which is beyond time and space, that is eternal. But maybe you mean something else, in which case you would probably be right: it is all up for grabs now.
Last edited by guruilla on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guruilla

Postby tapitsbo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:54 pm

To my eyes Alice is talking about temporal refuge/solace that grounds/connects us with transcendence; the inward search can elevate OR desecrate (each being a manner of making these mute meanings manifest)
tapitsbo

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:05 pm

tapitsbo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:54 pm wrote:To my eyes Alice is talking about temporal refuge/solace that grounds/connects us with transcendence; the inward search can elevate OR desecrate (each being a manner of making these mute meanings manifest)

Very well put. And I think that this is true individually and collectively. Many years ago, I heard about a group of teenagers who drove into the desert in a jeep packed with coolers of beer. The hotter it got, the thirstier they became, and the more beer they drank. They were dead within a day. That story has stayed with me for decades, because it's a great metaphor for our need for meaning/love/God/belonging and how so many of us try to fulfill that need in such a misguided way. And sometimes they are led to do so, unwitting pawns.
AlicetheKurious

Postby slomo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:20 pm

tapitsbo » 13 Dec 2015 12:54 wrote:To my eyes Alice is talking about temporal refuge/solace that grounds/connects us with transcendence; the inward search can elevate OR desecrate (each being a manner of making these mute meanings manifest)

Amen.

For a time, I worried that a search for refuge in the Transcendent was a cop-out, an escapist/avoidant attempt to not deal with the reality of the horror-show in which we live. But as I get older, I become more confident that the Transcendent is more real than what we imagine to be Reality, so it is in fact the way out. If you can find it.

This does not, however, refute the necessity of attempting to make the immediate manifest world a better place, when and where you have the power to do so. It's a difficult dance.
slomo

Postby guruilla » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:20 pm

There are certainly environments that allow for physical and emotional states of realization that itself facilitates an increased awareness of our connection to the sacred (eternal), just as a misguided trip to the desert with nothing but beer facilitates premature death.

But that's very different from saying there are actual symbols and signifiers of and to the sacred (which is inner, before it can become outer) that aren't already profaned by the mere fact of being fixed and set "in stone," made signifiers of value. (Just as the word good summons its counterpart evil, and just as worship objectifies and what is worshiped).

I didn't read it that closely but I think slomo's copied text is referring to how the sacred, when reduced to a social function, since it is dependent also on taboo (not-sacred), always demands violence as a means to formalize its existence (sacrifice = make sacred).

So the sacred is the profane, or rather, that which requires an experience of sacredness, is also that which profanes.
guruilla

Postby semper occultus » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:51 pm

the synchro-mystic Matthew deLooze did some stuff on the Shock & Awe symbolism...

The Yellow Brick Road Meets Indiana Jones & The Temple of Moab
semper occultus

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:16 pm

guruilla » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:20 pm wrote:But that's very different from saying there are actual symbols and signifiers of and to the sacred (which is inner, before it can become outer) that aren't already profaned by the mere fact of being fixed and set "in stone," made signifiers of value. (Just as the word good summons its counterpart evil, and just as worship objectifies and what is worshiped)
So the sacred is the profane, or rather, that which requires an experience of sacredness, is also that which profanes.

I think the opposite is also true. We have the power to imbue ordinary things, ordinary encounters, ordinary experiences, with a sacred quality that in turn nourishes the divine in us (our spirit, or soul). It's a choice, which leads to integrity, in every sense of the word. The more conscious we are of what is sacred (to ourselves and others) the more difficult, if not impossible we become to enslave, or break, or exploit to harm others.
AlicetheKurious

Postby guruilla » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:36 pm

Feedback loops, both positive and negative....

At a human, experiential level, it seems to be about the difference between meeting adversity with love or with fear. Hence "love thine enemy".... because then s/he/it has no power over us.
guruilla

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion