Digital Medication Will Report Your Med Usage

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Digital Medication Will Report Your Med Usage

Postby NeonLX » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:16 pm

Whatever the case, I'm not ingesting a "sensor".

I think it's time I become a hermit and live out my few remaining years in a cave or abandoned corn crib. Shit is becoming too absurd and shit.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:20 pm

I'd grab a cave while there are still some vacancies. Corn cribs are too drafty.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby NeonLX » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:26 pm

Iamwhomiam » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:20 pm wrote:I'd grab a cave while there are still some vacancies. Corn cribs are too drafty.

I'm gonna park my old rusty van inside of the corn crib. But the right cave might be desirable though.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Burnt Hill » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:56 pm

NeonLX » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:16 pm wrote:Whatever the case, I'm not ingesting a "sensor".

I think it's time I become a hermit and live out my few remaining years in a cave or abandoned corn crib. Shit is becoming too absurd and shit.

You might if it could save your life though, maybe?
Or perhaps wear one that measured the contents of your sweat?
What I am getting at is the idea that some of these devices could be magnificently helpful,
as someone mentioned previously in regards to a blood sugar monitor.
Of course the potential misuse is sobering yes.
Burnt Hill

Postby divideandconquer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:48 pm

I thought most people--even those not inclined to believe in conspiracy--knew the aim of the medical-pharmaceutical-industrial complex is to create profit, not conquer disease. That's been my experience, anyway.

Read AIDS, Opium, Diamonds, and Empire: The Deadly Virus of International Greed. by by Dr. Nancy Turner Banks, M.D. It's a real eye-opener.

The so-called Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome or "AIDS" is not a coherent, single disease entity. It has neither symptoms nor diagnostic criteria of its own. It is defined entirely in terms of other, old diseases, in conjunction with dubious test results and even more dubious assumptions. Although people are undeniably sick, "AIDS" itself does not really exist; it is a phony construct...

'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Postby Burnt Hill » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:27 pm

divideandconquer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:48 pm wrote:I thought most people--even those not inclined to believe in conspiracy--knew the aim of the medical-pharmaceutical-industrial complex is to create profit, not conquer disease. That's been my experience, anyway.

Read AIDS, Opium, Diamonds, and Empire: The Deadly Virus of International Greed. by by Dr. Nancy Turner Banks, M.D. It's a real eye-opener.

The so-called Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome or "AIDS" is not a coherent, single disease entity. It has neither symptoms nor diagnostic criteria of its own. It is defined entirely in terms of other, old diseases, in conjunction with dubious test results and even more dubious assumptions. Although people are undeniably sick, "AIDS" itself does not really exist; it is a phony construct...

I largely agree with the part of your quote that I bolded.
But the quote you provided? It is ridiculous.
"AIDS" is not a coherent, single disease entity. No kidding, that's what happens when your immune system is compromised, you are subject to acquiring many infectious diseases. That's also why it is a syndrome, not a single disease.
Old disease? What does that even mean? When your immune system is compromised you are subject to many already identified diseases.
dubious test results and even more dubious assumptions For instance? The most important lab result is the decline in T-cells, nothing dubious about it.
"AIDS" itself does not really exist; it is a phony construct The HIV-1 and HIV-2 viruses have been clearly identified, when you acquire this virus your immune system suffers, as shown by the decline in T-cells. There is absolutely nothing "phony" about this disease. I thought most people knew this.
As per conspiracy, perhaps in the origin of the disease, not in its existence.
Burnt Hill

Postby Burnt Hill » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Considering it is designed around the drug Abilify, you can bet this is being marketed heavily to the prison industry.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/14/16648166/fda-digital-pill-abilify-otsuka-proteustheverge

The FDA has approved the first digital pill

Thuy Ong

The Food and Drug Administration has approved the first digital pill for the US which tracks if patients have taken their medication. The pill called Abilify MyCite, is fitted with a tiny ingestible sensor that communicates with a patch worn by the patient — the patch then transmits medication data to a smartphone app which the patient can voluntarily upload to a database for their doctor and other authorized persons to see. Abilify is a drug that treats schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and is an add-on treatment for depression.

The Abilify MyCite features a sensor the size of a grain of sand made of silicon, copper, and magnesium. An electrical signal is activated when the sensor comes into contact with stomach acid — the sensor then passes through the body naturally. A patch the patient wears on their left rib cage receives the signal several minutes after the pill is ingested. The patch then sends data like the time the pill was taken and the dosage to a smartphone app over Bluetooth. The patch also records activity levels, sleeping patterns, steps taken, activity, and heart rate, and must be replaced every seven days. The patient’s doctor and up to four other people chosen by the patient, including family members, can access the information. The patient can revoke access at any time.
Photo: Proteus Digital Health

The pill comes after years of research and is a venture between Japanese pharmaceutical company Otsuka and digital medicine service Proteus Digital Health, which makes the sensor. The pill is one way to address the prevalent problem of patients not taking their medication correctly, with the IMS Institute estimating that the improper and unnecessary use of medicine cost the US healthcare sector over $200 billion in 2012. The approval also opens the door for pills that are used for other conditions beyond mental health to be digitized.
Photo: Proteus Digital Health

Experts though, have expressed concerns over what the pill might mean for privacy. Some are worried that tracking pills will be a step towards punishing patients who don’t comply. Ameet Sarpatwari, an instructor in medicine at Harvard Medical School told The New York Times the digital pill “has the potential to improve public health. [But] if used improperly, it could foster more mistrust instead of trust.”

The Wall Street Journal reports that the FDA is anticipating a potential raft of approval requests for other digital pills. A spokesperson told the publication the FDA is planning to hire more staff with "deep understanding" of software development in relation to medical devices, and engage with entrepreneurs on new guidelines.

Otsuka hasn’t indicated how much the digitized Abilify pills will cost yet. The WSJ reports the company plans to work with some insurers in covering the digitized pills with production planned to be ramped up only if it can find willing insurers.
Burnt Hill

Previous

Return to General Discussion