Let's talk Turkey

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Let's talk Turkey

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:26 am

Why Turkey wants to silence its academics
By contributors | Jul. 27, 2016 |

By Fatma Müge Göçek | (The Conversation) | – –
After the July 15 coup attempt in Turkey, one of the first actions of the Turkish state and government was to purge thousands of academics and deans from office.
In a crackdown that rapidly spread across civil and military services, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan ordered the closure of thousands of private schools and many universities. Some 15,000 employees at the education ministry were fired, while more than 1,500 university deans were asked to resign.
So, why did Turkey’s government go after academics, and how were they able to force so many to resign?
I am a sociologist who grew up in Turkey and went through its university system. Even after moving to the United States, I have been in close contact with academia in Turkey – organizing many academic events with Turkish universities and collaborating with faculty.
I believe that the answer to the above question lies in the unique design of the institutions of higher education in Turkey.
Let’s start with history

Soon after the establishment of the Republic of Turkey in 1923, a law bringing all educational institutions under state control was promulgated.
Prior to that – in the Ottoman Empire – Western-style institutions of higher education established by the state, by Western missionaries and non-Muslim minorities as well as by religious institutions (medrese) had coexisted.
But, in the newly established republic, the control of all institutions, including institutions of higher education, came to rest with the Republican elite.
Most of the faculty were treated by the state and its governments as state officials. The faculty too often regarded themselves as such. In fact, to this day, they are even issued different color passports to mark their distinction from ordinary citizens.
The 1980 military coup in Turkey further institutionalized state control over higher education institutions. The constitution was rewritten, restricting the rights and freedoms of all citizens. As part of the 1982 constitution, the military-led government set up the Higher Education Institution (HEI) – an umbrella organization overseeing all universities administratively, academically and financially.
State control over universities had always been substantial, but with this action, it got institutionalized. For even though the HEI, like the judiciary, was in name fully independent, appointments to the HEI were overseen and approved by the state.
For instance, while university faculty voted to elect their chairs, directors, deans and presidents, the appointment of university presidents was contingent on the approval of the president of the Turkish Republic and the appointment of deans contingent upon the approval of HEI.
Opening up Turkey’s markets

In 1984, Turkey began a process of economic liberalization. Turkish elites started to gradually transform the state-controlled economy into a market-centered one. That ended the period of dominance of state-run universities.
Given the vast, unmet demand for universities in Turkey where only one in three applicants could get into a university, the state relinquished its control. Many private, nonprofit universities were established.
Today, there are about 193 universities in Turkey, of which 109 are state universities and 84 private. The private universities in Turkey were established either by wealthy individuals or private foundations.
I would argue that these private universities weakened state control over education – especially research and faculty recruitment. As they did not receive public funds, the internal administration of these universities was somewhat less influenced by the state.
These private universities also strengthened civil society: More faculty came to be involved in education, research and teaching courses that stimulated students to think differently. The faculty could now openly design courses that tackled Turkey’s problems, such as a critical analyses of Turkish nationalism and culture on the one side, and domestic violence and gender issues on the other.
Despite this change, state influence on private universities was still visible to many of us in academia. For example, we would hear about the pressure from the Turkish state to hire former state bureaucrats as faculty and to host conferences where people with particular pro-government views were invited.
So, while all universities and also the HEI were autonomous bodies – just like the judiciary – that was not how things worked in practice.
AKP and academic control

When the Justice and Development Party (AKP) initially came to power, it did take some steps to address some of the problems in higher education. For example, the ban on women wearing veils on campuses was lifted and funding for scientific research was substantially increased. The tenure process was made more fair and less arbitrary.
However, all universities, including private universities, continued to be under the constant scrutiny of HEI. And checks on academic freedom continued.
For example, when the the German Parliament passed the Armenian Genocide resolution anonymously on June 2, 2016, university presidents came under pressure to issue public statements supporting Turkish foreign policy.
To this day, the Armenian Genocide of 1915 – in which a million Armenians lost their lives – remains a highly sensitive issue in Turkey. This issue is similar to Turkey’s ongoing conflict with Kurds. Public discussions of such issues have always been problematic.
Connection of state and knowledge

It is a truism that knowledge is power. Those who control knowledge have ultimate power in a society. Since educational institutions are among the most significant places for research, their control becomes crucial in autocratic states. Rulers want to closely monitor access to knowledge and therefore to power.
Scholar Büşra Ersanlı, a political scientist studying the connection between between state and knowledge in Turkey, points out how the Turkish state has constantly taken measures to imbue all school textbooks with nationalist discourse glorifying the state.
Schools and campuses are regarded as sites of potential social change in Turkey.
In this context, it is no accident that the Gülen movement – launched by a Muslim cleric with the professed intent to improve first Turkish civil society and then humankind – started by providing K-12 and higher education to those in Turkey and abroad.
The movement, which today has gained extraordinary influence is allegedly behind the failed coup attempt in Turkey. To this day, it operates thousands of schools throughout the world, including the United States.
President Erdoğan too used schools to start a revival movement in Sunni Islamic studies. At one time, in fact, both President Erdogan and Islamic scholar Gulen were considered to be allies.
Stranglehold over academia

The current Turkish government’s stranglehold over academia started in 2013 when Erdoğan, who had been prime minister was elected president.
Over the past three years, human rights in Turkey have been increasingly curbed, although the president and his Justice and Development Party (AKP) have continually denied any such restrictions.
I personally felt his wrath in January 2016 when I signed a petition, along with thousands of like-minded academics, calling for the conflict with the Kurds to be solved by peaceful, not military, means.
The Turkish-Kurdish conflict has existed since the establishment of the Turkish Republic. Erdoğan himself started a peace process with the Kurds in 2011, while he was prime minister of Turkey. But after becoming president, he ordered military operations against them.
It was in this context that we protested the violence. Erdoğan’s response to our petition was emphatic:
“There is no difference between a terrorist with a gun and bomb in his hand and those who use their work and pen to support terror. The fact that an individual could be a deputy, an academic, an author, a journalist or the director of an NGO [nongovernmental organization] does not change the fact that that person is a terrorist.”
He asked the HEI president to investigate, and many university presidents were forced to fire the signatories.
Having formed a Listserv, we signatories were still trying to decide how to resist this violence wreaked upon us when the new wave of purges commenced.
Where will Turkey go next?

I, for one, have decided not to travel to my country of origin this summer for the first time ever for fear of arrest.
Where will Turkey go from here? I spend many sleepless nights, feeling just as I did when I first read George Orwell’s “1984.” Just like Orwell’s dystopian society – a society with oppressive controls – the current Turkish state and the government are, it seems, out to silence all people capable of producing new and independent thinking and research in Turkey.
As most of such minds are concentrated in Turkish academia, they will all be destroyed unless they turn into obedient and pious consumers.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:47 am

Doctor Doom or the Red Skull? You must choose one or own the other. I'm with Doom!
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby PufPuf93 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:23 am

Note I typed considered "Liberal by some".

The Engdahl article is probably much closer to reality and what is "known" to the mass public is a propaganda patina.

I first heard the name Gulen in association with the large network of Gulen Charter schools and the USA and thought that presence was weird (and had no idea of the scope much less actual motives of the Gulen movement).

I do think some sort of long term CIA involvement is obvious.

What is going on in Turkey reminds me much of the "Young Turks" coup of 1908(?) leading to WWI and the subsequent formation of the Republic under Attaturk.

An informative and great read is A Peace to End All Peace - The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East (Fromkin). I have told so many folks to read this book over the years.

Turkey has a history of secret societies and intrigue and occupies an extremely important piece of real estate (Mediterranean-Black seas, Europe-Asia).
PufPuf93

Postby slimmouse » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:57 pm

Anyone making any kind of apologies for Madrassa Gulen is missing a trick .

not his first name, but it should give you a clue how the CIA (Wall St) spread their jihadist creations out of the Eastern European Caucuses to various destinations around the world that they want to take over and ultimately privatise, having subjected the citizens of these sovereign nations to their own hell on earth through destabilisation and warfare

Neoliberal islamic cleric indeed.
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby PufPuf93 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:28 pm

slimmouse » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:57 pm wrote:Anyone making any kind of apologies for Madrassa Gulen is missing a trick .

not his first name, but it should give you a clue how the CIA (Wall St) spread their jihadist creations out of the Eastern European Caucuses to various destinations around the world that they want to take over and ultimately privatise, having subjected the citizens of these sovereign nations to their own hell on earth through destabilisation and warfare

Neoliberal islamic cleric indeed.

Hope no one thinks I am making apologies for Gulen.

I abhor neoliberalism and that is an apt label, neoliberal Islamic cleric.
PufPuf93

Postby FourthBase » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:57 pm

Are there any Ataturks in the world right now? Not just in Turkey, not just in the Arab/Muslim world, but in the West, too. Are there any leaders with his integrity, vision, and efficacy? If not, why not? Has the world stopped producing humans that good? Or are they just not born and made all that often, like, once or twice a century? How many have there been in the last 100 years? If one existed, how could he or she fend off the forces of control/disruption from within and without enough to get great things accomplished in a fairly just and pragmatic fashion? How could an Ataturk save a Turkey today? What could an Ataturk do for Iraq, for Afghanistan, for Syria, for Libya, for any undemocratic, unsecular Muslim nation. What could an Ataturk do for an America, a UK, a Germany, an Italy? What would an American Ataturk look like, advocate for and against? What meaning does the effect of an Ataturk have on the Marxist class-determinism narrative of history versus a Nietzschean hero-spurts narrative?
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Postby Nordic » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:06 am

They kill them. I'm pretty sure they kill them before we ever hear of them.

I think I know one who they tried to kill. This person isn't dead but is seriously ill now. From an extremely mysterious brain-damaging malady that seemed to have no cause and came out of nowhere. I'm not ready to discuss it yet because it's a real living person. Pretty sure they saw potential of this person (which is evident even in their degraded condition) and tried to take them out with a new technique.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby FourthBase » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:42 am

Before we ever hear of them? How are they located? What gets them detected? You really think there've been multiple Ataturks nipped in the bud? I don't just mean some radical do-gooder who could've made a difference. I mean, Ataturk. The person you know had the potential to be one of the five or so greatest human beings in the span of a century? The potential to singlehandedly remold an entire culture, an entire nation from a theocratic empire into a secular democracy? Imma say prolly not. Ataturks. Why aren't there Ataturks?

In other Turkey news, an entangled orgy of strange bedfellows:

http://www.breitbart.com/national-secur ... tion-cult/
FourthBase

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:36 am

The Latest: Turkey issues arrest warrant for US-based cleric
Aug. 4, 2016 9:02 AM EDT

Anadolu Agency says the Istanbul-based court issued the warrant Thursday, accusing Gulen of "ordering the July 15 coup attempt."

The Latest: Investigators: Suspect may be "serial offender"

AP Sources: Tesla looking at cameras, radar in Florida crash

The Turkish government says Gulen, who lives in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania, masterminded the failed coup attempt by renegade officers in Turkey's military and wants him extradited to Turkey.

The country has designated his movement as a terror organization.

Gulen has denied any involvement in the coup attempt.

___

2:20 p.m.

A senior ruling party official says nations need to take action against schools or other establishments linked to a movement led by U.S.-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Turkey accuses of instigating the failed July 15 military coup.

Mehdi Eker, a deputy chairman of Turkey's ruling Justice and Development Party, said Thursday that Gulen's movement has hundreds of schools, charities or other establishments in more than 100 countries and warned those countries too could face "security risks" from the group in the future.

Eker told a group of journalists: "If we had seen that these schools were not innocent educational nests but nurseries raising members for a terror organization, we would not have lived through the (attempted coup)."

"It is our responsibility to warn countries that have (Gulen-linked) schools," Eker said. "In Africa, we know that they work as nurseries (for terror) and we want to warn them."

Gulen, who lives in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania, has denied any involvement in the coup.

___

1:30 p.m.

Austria's chancellor says there are signs that Turkey is heading toward a dictatorship and questions the sense of continuing negotiations with it over EU membership.

Christian Kern says it may be time to push the "reset button" on the talks, adding he wants "critical discussions" of the topic at next month's EU summit.

Kern made the comments in a late evening newscast Wednesday.

He said "there is no realistic perspective for membership" for Turkey. Instead, the Austrian leader calls for a "new approach" based on the need for close economic ties between the EU and Ankara.

He speaks of "signs that are unmistakable" that Turkey is moving toward a dictatorship under President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

___

1:25 p.m.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is vowing to go after businesses linked to a US-based Muslim cleric he accuses of having been behind Turkey's failed July 15 coup.

The Turkish government characterizes the movement of Fethullah Gulen, who lives in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania, as a terrorist organization.

Speaking Thursday to the heads of chambers of commerce in Ankara, Erdogan said the government was "determined to totally cut off all business links of this organization, which has blood on its hands."

He added that "every cent" that goes to the Gulen movement "is a bullet placed in a barrel to be fired against this nation. In the same way that we do not pardon those who fire the bullet, we will not forgive those who financed the bullet."

http://bigstory.ap.org/a0730f2e5f6640bd9cc810193b0117d0
PufPuf93

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:06 pm

Nordic » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:06 am wrote:They kill them. I'm pretty sure they kill them before we ever hear of them.

Wouldn't bet but am pretty sure that FB is trolling with the Heroic Ataturk stuff. Since in FB world such a figure would usually be cast as another mass-murdering Commie Tyrant in the Lenin-Stalin-Mao mode. And in the real world he wouldn't be very appetizing either. On the other hand, it's true he was a secularist nation-founder who beat back the empires and an invading army and put limits on fundamentalist endarkenment, so what's a genocide or two in the process? So maybe FB really does mean Ataturk is the needed hero, and I just have that Greek (Armenian, Alevite, Kurd, etc.) bias about him.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby FourthBase » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:31 pm

JackRiddler » 04 Aug 2016 13:06 wrote:
Nordic » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:06 am wrote:They kill them. I'm pretty sure they kill them before we ever hear of them.

Wouldn't bet but am pretty sure that FB is trolling with the Heroic Ataturk stuff. Since in FB world such a figure would usually be cast as another mass-murdering Commie Tyrant in the Lenin-Stalin-Mao mode. And in the real world he wouldn't be very appetizing either. On the other hand, it's true he was a secularist nation-founder who beat back the empires and an invading army and put limits on fundamentalist endarkenment, so what's a genocide or two in the process? So maybe FB really does mean Ataturk is the needed hero, and I just have that Greek (Armenian, Alevite, Kurd, etc.) bias about him.

Not trolling. Ataturk is what leaders are supposed to be.

What genocides did Ataturk commit?
FourthBase

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:35 pm

JackRiddler

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:48 pm

The Young Turks / Committee of Union and Progress couped the Ottoman Sultan and brought the Ottoman Empire into WWI and in the process also carried out the Armenian Genocide.

------------------------------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Turks

Young Turks (Turkish: Jön Türkler, from French: Les Jeunes Turcs) was a political reform movement in the early 20th century, which favored replacement of the Ottoman Empire's absolute monarchy with a constitutional government. Later, their leaders led a rebellion against the absolute rule of Sultan Abdul Hamid II in the 1908 Young Turk Revolution.[1] With this revolution, the Young Turks helped to establish the Second Constitutional Era in 1908, ushering in an era of multi-party democracy for the first time in the country’s history.[2]

After 1908, the Young Turks’ initial umbrella political party, the Committee of Union and Progress (CUP; Turkish: İttihat ve Terakki Cemiyeti),[3] began a series of modernizing military and political reforms across the Ottoman Empire. However, the CUP soon began to splinter as many of the more liberal and pro-decentralization Young Turks left to form an opposition party in late 1911, the Freedom and Accord Party (also known as the Liberal Union or Liberal Entente),[4] with much of those staying in the CUP favoring a generally nationalist and pro-centralization policy.[5] In a year-long power struggle throughout 1912, Freedom and Accord and the remaining members of the CUP vied for control of the Ottoman government, the year seeing a rigged election by the CUP and a military revolt by Freedom and Accord.

The struggle between the two groups of Young Turks ended in January 1913, when the top leadership of the CUP seized personal power from Freedom and Accord in the Raid on the Sublime Porte. The subsequent CUP-led government was headed by interior minister and Grand Vizier Talaat Pasha. Working with him were war minister Enver Pasha and naval minister Djemal Pasha. These "Three Pashas", as they came to be known, exercised absolute control over the Ottoman Empire from 1913 to 1918, bringing the country closer to Germany, signing the Ottoman–German Alliance to enter the Empire into World War I on the side of the Central Powers,[6][7][8] and carrying out the Armenian Genocide.[9] Following the war, the struggle between the two groups of Young Turks revived, Freedom and Accord Party regaining the control of the Ottoman government and Three Pashas fleeing into exile. Freedom and Accord rule was short lived, however, and the empire soon collapsed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attaturk came to power and the Republic of Turkey formed after the final fall of the Young Turks. Attaturk et al prosecuted the Young Turks leaders for war crimes in absentia but most had already escaped or been killed, one execution took place.

An excellent book is A Peace to End All Peace - The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East (Fromkin)

https://www.amazon.com/Peace-End-All-Ot ... +all+peace

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit to add:

The founder of modern Turkey, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, is quoted on the front page of the 1 August 1926 The Los Angeles Examiner as denouncing the Young Turks and especially the CUP (the "Young Turk Party"):

These left-overs from the former Young Turk Party, who should have been made to account for the millions of our Christian subjects who were ruthlessly driven en masse from their homes and massacred, have been restive under the Republican rule. […] They have hitherto lived on plunder, robbery and bribery and become inimical to any idea, or suggestion to enlist in useful labor and earn their living by the honest sweat of their brow… Under the cloak of the opposition party, this element, who forced our country into the Great War against the will of the people, who caused the shedding of rivers of blood of the Turkish youth to satisfy the criminal ambition of Enver Pasha, has, in a cowardly fashion, intrigued against my life, as well as the lives of the members of my cabinet.

As to the fate of the Three Pashas, two of them, Talaat Pasha and Djemal Pasha, were assassinated by Armenian nationals shortly after the end of World War I while in exile in Europe during Operation Nemesis, a revenge operation against perpetrators of the Armenian Genocide. Soghomon Tehlirian, whose family was killed in the Armenian Genocide, assassinated the exiled Talaat Pasha in Berlin and was subsequently acquitted by a German jury.[3] Djemal Pasha was similarly killed by Stepan Dzaghikian, Bedros Der Boghosian, and Ardashes Kevorkian for "crimes against humanity"[20] in Tbilisi, Georgia.[21] The third pasha, Enver Pasha, was killed in fighting against the Red Army unit under the command of Hakob Melkumian near Baldzhuan in Tajikistan (then Turkistan).[22]
PufPuf93

Postby FourthBase » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:04 pm

And that has what to do with Ataturk?
FourthBase

Postby slimmouse » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:46 pm

I reckon that one of our major problems as a species, is that we are all too ready to allow others to take responsibility for us.

How fucked up is that ?

Around a decade back, I went to work for a truly heroic guy, who probably didnt have all his truths accurately aligned, but he did get the bigger picture, not to mention spending a lot of money trying to speak his own truth.

The one truth that I will readily take is the idea of councils of 12.

Until we all get involved, then we are prey
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion