magic mushrooms

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: magic mushrooms

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:30 pm

seemslikeadream » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:21 am wrote:.....

And none of it, of course, had anything to do with the indigenous uses of the mushroom, whose purpose was to cure sick people by, among other things, making them vomit. And she adds: “Before Wasson nobody took the mushrooms only to find God. They were always taken for the sick to get well.” To find God, Sabina — who considered herself a Catholic — went to Mass.

Because you gave me your clock
Because you gave me your thought
Beacause I am a clean woman
Because I am a Cross Star woman
Because I am a woman who flies
I am the sacred eagle woman, says
I am the Lord eagle woman, says
I am the lady who swims, says

Because I can swim in the immense
Because I can swim in all forms
Because I am the launch woman
Because I am the sacred opposum
Because I am the Lord opposum

I am the woman Book that is beneath the water, says
I am the woman of the populous town, says
I am the shepherdess who is beneath the water, says
I am the woman who shepherds the immense, says
I am a shepherdess and I come with my shepherd, says
Because everything has its origin
And I come going from place to place from the origin.
http://www.singingtotheplants.com/2008/ ... ia-sabina/

I opine that anything that was produced by Wasson had an agenda and not necessarily "accurate" anthropological work.

Indigenous cultures had a different relation to nature not readily and never completely conceived by "modern" humans.

Indigenous humans were more a part of nature and perception often tended to the animist.

Edit to add:

Use of "magic mushrooms" was not limited to the New World but had a long history and longer pre-history in the Old World as well, as McKenna might say that the entheogens are part of what made us human,
PufPuf93

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT3gdje7aa8

There is no political solution
To our troubled evolution
Have no faith in constitution
There is no bloody revolution

We are spirits in the material world

Our so-called leaders speak
With words they try to jail you
The subjugate the meek
But it's the rhetoric of failure

We are spirits in the material world

Where does the answer lie?
Living from day to day
If it's something we can't buy
There must be another way
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby brainpanhandler » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:40 pm

dada » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:23 am wrote:
Actually right now I'm trying to decide if the most mind-expanded I've ever been is while I'm writing, or right now. Maybe both.

My experience is that psychedelics made me aware that such states of mind are relative and you can define them for yourself. This led to experiments to induce altered states of consciousness without the catalyst of psychedelics. Which in turn led to a new kind of mindfulness about what were seemingly mundane experiences before.

If you want crazy mind effects, try staying up for eighty-five hours. You will see and feel things that make psychedelics seem like baby games. I'm not kidding.

On the other hand, I don't think I really want to experience "crazy mind effects" that make taking 5 grams of Psilocybins seem like "baby games". Thanks, no.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:17 pm

liminalOyster » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:27 am wrote:Very, very longtime lurker here. This is pretty close to required reading/viewing for all things Psilocybin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yGNWBEwvlU

Thanks for that Maria Sabina video, liminalOyster. And welcome.

Gordon White at Rune Soup has a new post ("Borg Cubism") that touches on these issues, with links to McKenna, the Radical Mycology website, Dr Elaine Ingham, and others:

... The mandatory part is the first five minutes which attempts to describe how mycelium emerged on earth. I say ‘attempts’ because it covers off the ‘wacky’ idea that the spores came from space -and they can survive in space- and then goes into detail on the absurd materialist guesswork that is the ‘accepted’ view. Which looks like the flimsy Just-So Story it is, particularly when viewed immediately after Terence. (I’m not saying Terence was correct, but hold both perspectives in your head simultaneously and you’ll see what I mean about animist interventionism.)

Moving along we do have one you need to watch all of. Dr Elaine Ingham could literally save the world and it would only cost around a billion dollars in training. She could reverse desertification and salination, improve polyculture farming yields by hundreds of percent to the point that may cities could feed themselves within their own footprint -thus eliminating what are key vectors in human sickness and war. If I ever find the spell that makes me galactic dictator, she will be my Darth Vader.

Watching this presentation is step 1 in the ‘we are all dirt witches now’ process as described in Pieces of Eight. The overwhelming majority of the earth’s biomass is subsurface. It is humbling and fascinating to realise that everything this planet has ever done from dinosaurs to the Renaissance to Everybody Loves Raymond has been crawling around in the splattered shit of its true owners on a nominal or volume basis. And -if the model holds- I might mean that literally given the case for the offworld formation of key parts of the soil biome is currently stronger than the emergent/evolutionary nonsense described at the beginning of the Radical Mycology webinar.

There needs to be a baseline understanding of soil microbiology moving forward because it is the perfect example of how we conceive of ‘chaos’ in a ‘chaos magic’ sense… it is ecosystemic and impossible to reduce to constituent parts and grid onto a tree of life or write up in a Culpepper’s. [...]

http://runesoup.com/2016/09/borg-cubism/
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:32 pm

^^^^^^^^

Thanks Mac

That is a most excellent mycology video. :thumbsup
PufPuf93

Postby Burnt Hill » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:29 pm

PufPuf93 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:32 pm wrote:^^^^^^^^

Thanks Mac

That is a most excellent mycology video. :thumbsup

Yes that's good stuff.

Now about that psy K D(el)ick mailing list".. :wink
Burnt Hill

Postby dada » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:19 am

brainpanhandler » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:40 pm wrote:
dada » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:23 am wrote:
Actually right now I'm trying to decide if the most mind-expanded I've ever been is while I'm writing, or right now. Maybe both.

My experience is that psychedelics made me aware that such states of mind are relative and you can define them for yourself. This led to experiments to induce altered states of consciousness without the catalyst of psychedelics. Which in turn led to a new kind of mindfulness about what were seemingly mundane experiences before.

Yes. And I'd take it further, suggest that something can arise within that mindfulness. Something free of all that. Like a potential that breaks this chain of events that caused it.

brainpanhandler » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:40 pm wrote:On the other hand, I don't think I really want to experience "crazy mind effects" that make taking 5 grams of Psilocybins seem like "baby games". Thanks, no.

I understand. Here, I'll try to sell it better, maybe I can make it sound more appealing. haha

There are states to be explored through sleep deprivation, ones that can't be accessed with psychedelics. The clear mind acting under its own power brings out a set of unique effects.

Similar to sensory isolation, however sensory isolation is by definition an entirely 'inner' trip. Sleep deprivation has the advantage of being both 'inner' and 'outer.'

Different and surprising perceptual and sensory changes, higher hallucinated 'presences,' a more comprehensive existential gestalt, fine qualities of thought and emotion that a human doesn't become aware of until they've been awake to watch the sun rise and set three times.

And best thing is, after a good night's sleep it's mostly integrated. Easy to get right back to appearing to be a normal human being. :)
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby liminalOyster » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:31 pm

"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby PufPuf93 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:11 pm

liminalOyster » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:31 pm wrote:http://www.livescience.com/48502-magic-mushrooms-change-brain-networks.html

Welcome to RI and thank you for the link.

There are a number of links off that web page to other articles on magic mushrooms and other entheogens.
PufPuf93

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:20 pm

lots of interesting stuff to be found here:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23psilocybin

e.g.

Hallucinogen Therapy Is Coming

How shrooms can spring people from fears and destructive habits.

By Moises Velasquez-Manoff

September 22, 2016

http://nautil.us/issue/40/learning/hall ... -is-coming
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Previous

Return to General Discussion