The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Postby NaturalMystik » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:51 am

stillrobertpaulsen » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:38 pm wrote:OK - I just saw the latest X-Files episode on Hulu.

That was a great episode, I think it may even be one of the best. Although nothing will ever beat the episode "Home."
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:46 pm

JackRiddler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:59 pm wrote:Who can ever forget Jan's braces?! The dramatic high point of The Brady Bunch.

"I'm ugly! Ugly! Ugly! Ugly!" Remember it like yesterday. Everybody does. Ask anyone, they'll say, Jan!

Except it was MARCIA! (Or... was it? More evidence of the Mandrake Effect! Which is what it's always been called.)

Use link to get clip at the right point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtuZGPfZPcA&t=141s

I wish I could act like Pee Wee Herman and say, "I meant to do that," but the truth is funnier. After logging off yesterday, I told my wife about the post and she immediately bristled, "No! I said Marcia!" To which I muttered, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" She got it right, I just glazed over what she said and assumed it had to be inferiority-complex afflicted Jan.

But I stand by my original assertion that the episode where Jan has the braces exists, just in a parallel universe.

Are you sure it's the Mandrake Effect? Or is it the Marlowe Effect?
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:09 pm

NaturalMystik » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:51 pm wrote:
stillrobertpaulsen » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:38 pm wrote:OK - I just saw the latest X-Files episode on Hulu.

That was a great episode, I think it may even be one of the best. Although nothing will ever beat the episode "Home."

I wholeheartedly agree! This was definitely one of the most meta X-Files episodes too. I'm gonna kick an old thread just so this one doesn't get sidetracked (even though the Mandela Effect is inherently a sidetracking phenomenon!)
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:11 pm

Okay, now, seriously, I shouldn't revive this insane thread, but I have run into the Maples Effect.

That refers to model and TV performer Marla Maples, Donald Trump's girlfriend while he was still married to Ivana, who then became his second wife in 1993-99.

I remember that she was horribly wounded by an obsessed fan-stalker, and this was a big story at the time. (I do not remember that the main details of the story were ever doubted, and I have absolutely no reason to doubt it either. That's not why I'm posting.)

Gruesome pictures of her were publicized. I believe (really not sure) this was still before she and Trump were a public item. It was reported Trump paid for the cosmetic surgery, and this was presented as an example of his kindness, and there was a big to-do when she made a glamorous public appearance again, with the scars either gone or well-hidden. Okay.

I also remember being able to search out this story a few years ago, when it had come up in a conversation.

So last week it came up in a conversation, and I couldn't find anything about this. Ran Google with custom dates, used the NYT archive, LexisNexis, searched for NY Post stories. Nothing about the assault or the cosmetic surgery. Nothing at all. Wasted time, not because it's important, but because I am stubborn.

Have I completely fabricated this memory? Have I confused it with a different case? Or is it an example of the Mayo Shattuck Effect: a full Internet scrubbing of a previously publicized and searchable set of facts?

Anyone?

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby norton ash » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:41 pm

Jack..... Marla Hanson's your victim in New York.

https://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.com/ ... -landlord/

Marla Hanson was a struggling 24-year-old model who lived at 433 West 34th Street. She’d rented her $600 apartment from Steven Roth, a TV makeup artist who at some point made crude sexual advances toward her—which she spurned.

Apparently upset by the rejection, and the fact that Hanson was moving out and wanted her security deposit back, Roth hired two thugs to cut her face.

On June 5, 1986, while standing outside her building arguing with Roth, the goons approached her.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Elvis » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:53 pm

In the 1980s Joe Biden had at least one brain surgery for an aneurysm, and I distinctly recall Biden appearing before news cameras right afterward in a big head bandage; he made a joke about "I'm running for president of the united states"—which was funny with the huge bandage on his head.

Are my 'Google skills' so poor that I cannot find one single image from that 1988(?) appearance of Biden in a head bandage after brain surgery? It was replayed all day. Anyone remember it? Can anyone find a pic of post-surgery Biden in a head bandage?

:starz:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:55 pm

Okay, thank you!

Same name, also a model, same city, so I kind of see how I mashed up her story with Marla Maples and thus Trump. And this association happened in my mind more than 20 years ago, and I never had reason to check again until now. So at least it's not dementia. Just a usual imperfect mind thing.

Terrible story!
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Harvey » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:02 pm

Elvis » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:53 am wrote:In the 1980s Joe Biden had at least one brain surgery for an aneurysm, and I distinctly recall Biden appearing before news cameras right afterward in a big head bandage; he made a joke about "I'm running for president of the united states"—which was funny with the huge bandage on his head.

Are my 'Google skills' so poor that I cannot find one single image from that 1988(?) appearance of Biden in a head bandage after brain surgery? It was replayed all day. Anyone remember it? Can anyone find a pic of post-surgery Biden in a head bandage?

:starz:

Well he's certainly got more hair now than he had then. Might have been a hair transplant...

And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby elfismiles » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:08 am

One-False-Detail-Clouding-Cloud-Recall-Services ... :starz: :wallhead: :eeyaa

Happens to me with increasing frequency ... I think I have the basic data points, start scroogling, can't find what I'm looking for, feel stupid and thwarted, then someone corrects my one bad datapoint and VOILA, "mystery" solved.

Yes, memory is a strange-beast. :clown

Back in May I had my own Mandela-Michigan moment ... when I was confronted with a cartoon character representing the state of Michigan and I wondered, "What the FRAK is that weird dangly bit on its head?!?!?!?!"

https://www.austinchronicle.com/covers/2019-05-03/

miles-may-mandela-michigan-shape-effect-2019-cropped.PNG

Of course, basic googling reminded me of Michigan's ... "Upper Peninsula" ... D'Oh!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby NaturalMystik » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:44 pm

Hmmm... So last week I heard an interview with someone where they referred to a recent project Gary Oldman was working on. I was like wtf? I would have bet with 100% certainty that he had died a few years back. I even remember watching True Romance and Interstate 60 to commemorate him. Seems he's very much alive and well. Scratching my head, I guess I've been mandela'd...
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Postby Jerky » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:35 pm

Were you maybe thinking Gary COLEMAN?
Jerky

Postby elfismiles » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:11 pm

NaturalMystik » 22 Oct 2019 22:44 wrote:Hmmm... <snip> I guess I've been mandela'd...

"You just got: Mandela'd!"

Jerky » 23 Oct 2019 00:35 wrote:Were you maybe thinking Gary COLEMAN?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt3oQN0cAv0
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:59 am

*** WORLD PREMIERE *** THE MANDELA EFFECT *** Wed, Oct 23 *** Get Your Tickets Here! ***
http://otherworldsfilmfest.com/screenin ... d-premiere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=702vK-p6qzk

News — Other Worlds Film Festival
http://otherworldsfilmfest.com/news
World Premiere: The Mandela Effect Other Worlds Film Festival is proud to announce the World premiere of the psychological sci-fi thriller, THE MANDELA EFFECT, Wednesday, October 23 (7:30pm) at Galaxy Highland 10 Theatre. Director David Guy Levy will be in attendance and will do a Q&A after the film.

History Rewritten by The Mandela Effect - The Austin Chronicle
https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/s ... la-effect/
8 hours ago - That's the key to the Mandela Effect, a very real phenomenon in which the popular memory of an event has nothing to do with what happened. ... The Mandela Effect, playing Wed. Oct. 22 as part of Other Worlds' year-round Orbiter Series, injects that idea into a personal tragedy.

Re: Philip K. Dick Discloses the Matrix in 1977
Post by seemslikeadream » 22 Oct 2019 21:50
viewtopic.php?p=680089#p680089

elfismiles

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:30 am

Hugh Manatee Wins ???
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby elfismiles » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:09 am

mentalgongfu2 » 23 Oct 2019 05:30 wrote:Hugh Manatee Wins ???

Ole HMW ... he was such a SynchroMystic at heart.

:fawked:

hmw-manatee-keyword-hijack-01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elfismiles

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion