The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Postby dada » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:27 pm

KIRK: Bones, are you afraid of the future?
McCOY: I believe that was the general idea that I was trying to convey.
KIRK: I don't mean this future.
McCOY: What is this? Multiple choice?

Quote from Star Trek VI, relevant to the thread.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby lucky » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:54 am

THis pretty much freaked me out...I just saw that James Randi died on the 20th, but I was convinced he died about 2 years ago as I remember at the time thinking that the $1m he said he would give away if anyone could prove supernatural stuff will no longer be there to try and get (I had a plan!!)
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:03 pm

Funny you say that, lucky. I did too. In fact, I thought I had posted his obituary! Here's what I posted six years ago: http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?p=556387#p556387
Iamwhomiam

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:55 pm

You may be confusing Randi's #metoo moment, his withdrawal from public life, sacking by fellow psicop-style skeptics, etc., with death. From your perspective or mine, that makes sense. However, I am certain that until a couple of days ago he would have thought it an important distinction.

Something similar may explain the "Mandela effect." I mean, that he was very old, retired, no longer heard from, etc., for many years before he died. (For those of you who grew up on analogue commercial television broadcasts, tell me, quick, is Lauren Bacall dead or alive?)

Still, I'm allergic to the name this effect has been given because it has the odor of white guys who wouldn't have known or cared if Mandela was alive (or had ever lived) at any point before the day they heard he was dead. And of all the reactions one might have on hearing this news, they thought their guess in that moment that he must have already died years earlier was evidence of a galactic anomaly, rather than the everyday workings of human memory (in this case, fairly trivial ones).

(The last bit was a comment on the name, not on speculations about the nature of the universe in general.)

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby DrEvil » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:52 pm

^^What if our memories are accurate, but reality isn't? There's already been a quantum mechanics experiment where two different observers observed different outcomes, so maybe we all have our separate realities that somehow gets averaged out into a consensus reality. Some people saw the bracers and some didn't, but reality has now decided that she didn't have them, and Randi died two years ago in lucky's reality, and lucky's reality has now been overwritten by the reality where Randi died two days ago, but he can still remember his original reality.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby dada » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:59 am

Attributing the overwriting to some sort of consensus reality seems hasty to me. One reality overwrites another. But is the new reality that is an averaging out of separate realities a consensus reality, though? Or is it just another separate reality. It seems to me that for there to be a consensus reality, we'd have to postulate a higher dimension.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby DrEvil » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:44 pm

^^Averaging out was a poor choice of words, but some kind of mechanism that decides what the "common" reality is, if there even is one, and not necessarily anything to do with us at all.

Not sure why we would need a higher dimension though (string theory to the rescue!). Wouldn't it be enough to just rearrange the worldlines? Assuming our linear perception of time is an artifact of our limited cognitive abilities, it would be like rearranging the furniture.

The question then would be: who or what is messing with my furniture? Are there temporal FSB agents breaking into my past and subtly rearranging things? Or if time is an illusion, maybe past me is just as conscious as current me and capable of making its own choices and memories independently of current me, resulting in the occasional discrepancy that reality then evens out.
DrEvil

Postby dada » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:10 am

I guess I'm saying that when one reality overwrites another, we have no way of knowing if the change is corrective or arbitrary without a reference point outside of the 'field of realities.'

Let's say each reality is a special case of the general reality. When one reality overwrites another, the remembered reality and the new reality are both special cases of general reality. What we're calling the common reality is a special case. None of the special cases are general reality, they're adjustments of general reality.

So that's my Theory of Realitivity, general and special. As for who or what is doing the adjusting, I think it could be different for each reality. For one, it could be a who, for another a what. Could be a rabbit, or all of the above. In some special cases it could just be the moonrake effect.
dada

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:33 pm

Is material reality as we know it unstable? Are there processes that rewrite it? Maybe! Hell, the idea seems likely to me, but that's gut and world-view speaking, not evidence.

Is the "Mandela effect" what the evidence would look like? Fuck no.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby DrEvil » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:06 pm

^^Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just our memories being shit, I just enjoy wild speculation and weird rabbit holes (see: Quantum Bayesianism).
DrEvil

Postby Blue » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:16 pm

DrEvil » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:06 pm wrote:^^Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just our memories being shit, I just enjoy wild speculation and weird rabbit holes (see: Quantum Bayesianism).

Great to see you my friend dada.
Blue

Postby DrEvil » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:50 pm

I think you quoted the wrong person, but hey, I'll take it. :)
DrEvil

Postby dada » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:23 pm

Material reality is very stable.

So, with all these realities overwriting all the time, is there any way to influence, or even pick which one you will be written into? That's what I'd want to know. Get the best of all possible worlds to overwrite your reality.

"We are living in the best of all possible worlds." It sounds to me like a prophetic statement.

Hello, Blue. Great to see you, too.
dada

Postby DrEvil » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:37 am

^^This would be the part where I start speculating on how magic works. Reality is stable, at least from a human perspective, or rather, because of the human perspective. Magic would then be a way of thinking that destabilizes the consensus in small ways and ritual a way to shape that thinking.

I can't remember the name of the experiment, but a university set up a machine that dropped balls with a 50/50 chance of the ball going either left or right. They then asked everyone to will the ball to go left, and after collecting a lot of data there was a slightly higher number of left balls (I could be wrong on the details, but the gist of it should be correct. Pretty sure it was discussed here on Rigint years ago).

An idea that intrigues me is that if consciousness is just computation in biological matter and it can affect reality, then the same should apply to computers, or really any kind of computation. So what if you could make every computer in the world "think" the same reality-breaking "thought" at the same time (stealing shamelessly from Blood Music here btw), and in effect change or even crash reality (and yes, actual scientists have proposed testing the simulation hypothesis by crashing the universe. Not sure I think that's a good idea)?

There's also the idea of quantum immortality. Your consciousness constantly splits off into the universe where you didn't die. The flip side would be that you die a lot, you just don't know it. If every possible universe exists, then every possible death also exists. Yay.

Personally I'm partial to the idea that it's all just random. Reality itself is just an infinite* sea of chaos, and our reality is just a random fluctuation that created a temporary bubble of stability. The rules are what they are just because. No particular rhyme or reason. Maybe all of the random ideas I'm spewing are true at the same time, or none of them.

How any of this applies to the Mandela effect I don't know, but I'm having fun, so screw it.

* Infinite would be the wrong word, but so would any word. Language and ideas are a way to order things, and pure chaos is just that, chaos. Any label or description we can come up with is order, including this footnote.
DrEvil

Re: My own mandela effect

Postby Elvis » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:52 am

Handsome B. Wonderful » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:42 pm wrote:
What I remember is seeing Kirk going back to the death of his son on the Genesis planet. When Sybok tells Kirk to release his pain he says "No, I need my pain!"

The line is in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ABLYnvpAso

I don't remember the move very well; I do remember that line, but not the context (until just now rewatching it).
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion