The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:19 am

elfismiles » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:59 pm wrote:*** WORLD PREMIERE *** THE MANDELA EFFECT *** Wed, Oct 23 *** Get Your Tickets Here! ***
http://otherworldsfilmfest.com/screenin ... d-premiere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=702vK-p6qzk

News — Other Worlds Film Festival
http://otherworldsfilmfest.com/news
World Premiere: The Mandela Effect Other Worlds Film Festival is proud to announce the World premiere of the psychological sci-fi thriller, THE MANDELA EFFECT, Wednesday, October 23 (7:30pm) at Galaxy Highland 10 Theatre. Director David Guy Levy will be in attendance and will do a Q&A after the film.

History Rewritten by The Mandela Effect - The Austin Chronicle
https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/s ... la-effect/
8 hours ago - That's the key to the Mandela Effect, a very real phenomenon in which the popular memory of an event has nothing to do with what happened. ... The Mandela Effect, playing Wed. Oct. 22 as part of Other Worlds' year-round Orbiter Series, injects that idea into a personal tragedy.

Re: Philip K. Dick Discloses the Matrix in 1977
Post by seemslikeadream » 22 Oct 2019 21:50
viewtopic.php?p=680089#p680089

Please read: guidelines for posting on the RI board
Post by Jeff
... suggesting a poster is purposefully spreading disinformation is not permitted... refrain from personal attacks, and keep arguments issue-based...
RI-RULES

thanks for that I wish I could be there
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby elfismiles » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:12 pm

seemslikeadream » 23 Oct 2019 14:19 wrote:
thanks for that I wish I could be there

Yeah, I wish I coulda gone - things are just way too hectic in my life.

Writer/director, actors from 'The Mandela Effect' film sit down with KVUE
https://www.kvue.com/video/entertainmen ... c32a064dba
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby RocketMan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:38 am

Hosni Mubarak has died at 91

I was sure he'd been dead since a little after the trial.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Grizzly » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:44 am

NECS clients of our food distribution ERP software have been reporting data on their reports and dashboards, which do not appear to be accurate. This causes NECS technical support to spend a large amount of time and resources helping clients determine if there is a problem such as a software bug, corrupted data, etc.

For example, many clients have reported products such as "Stouffers" Stove Top Stuffing being either missing from their inventory system or replaced with "Kraft" Stove Top Stuffing (even though there was never any kind of buyout by Kraft of Stouffers, etc.). Basically "Stouffers Stove Top Stuffing" has NEVER existed. Since 1971 it has always been Kraft Stove Top Stuffing. But why do tens of millions of people have a clear and distinct memory of Stouffers Stove Top Stuffing? It has such a clear and distinct name, you can't just make that up.

When the data is manually audited, including analyzing the SQL data tables, hard copy invoices, etc., the data on reports and dashboards are proven to be accurate and correct. It becomes only the clients memory of what the figures should be as the cause of the problem. These types of issues causes wasted time for both NECS technical support staff and our clients. In fact as much as 20% of our technical support resources are used to deal with these issues, so our bottom line is affected.

NECS, Inc. believes that we are the first technology company to come out and express what may be happening.

It is related to quantum physics and a phenomena that has been named “The Mandela Effect”.

The purpose of this video is to explain what has been occurring utilizing the names / item descriptions of commonly known foodservice inventory. This will be more easily explained than using specific customer data, which would not be known by other NECS clients, or anyone else watching this video.

Company President Christopher Anatra, has also written a blog article explaining this. You can find it here: https://necs.com/blog-article.php?id=48

Quantum Physics, the Mandela Effect and perceived changes to your NECS entrée data

Is this real life?

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:45 am

I wrote a long-ish take about the above video and this phenomena earlier this morning, only to mis-click and lose it all because I, stupidly, did not type nor copy/paste it into a word/notepad document while in progress as experience has taught me to do. In it, I mentioned that upon the mention of Stove Top stuffing, I did a quick search to find that it is now invariably associated with STOUFFER'S Stove Top Stuffing and the Mandela effect, even though the only ad for the product I saw on YT did not actually mention Stouffer's or any other brand parent. To be completely honest, after typing all this and having my disappeared post entirely of my own fault, I fell asleep at my desk in front of the PC, as the above video played, and woke up to what the YT algorithm had led on autoplay, which was a quiz game that had teenagers trying to identify references in Disney and Pixar movies.

I shall not attempt to re-create my original post, but the gist was my distrust of the featured NECS video and a stubbornness to not even look it up further, as I am settling into the belief that most of this Mandela effect is simply evidence of our fallible memories and how easily they are manipulated, and how easily suggestible we are.

That said, after waking up from my brief nap in my desk chair, I put on episode 634 of Stop Podcasting Yourself, an entirely un-serious podcast about nothing in particular which often makes me laugh, and began to re-read this entire thread from page 1. Coincidentally, or perhaps synchronistically, the hosts mention Stove Top stuffing in the first 10 minutes or so, without reference to our Mandela'd brand name. It doesn't change my general take on the topic to date,but it certainly attracted my attention. For the record, my current and established take is that I put a lot more weight on the side of misremembering and suggestion than alternate timelines, and not because I disdain the timeline idea, but because all of the so-called Mandela Effects seem to always be about trivial, pop culture sort of things.

I swear I had more to say earlier, while I was having an active internal mental debate while I wrote it out, but I have not the energy to re-write it all. I will instead summarize it. After re-reading this thread, I saved this quote, which some schlub in a published article from Business Insider actually wrote and which can be referenced back on page 13.
The most famous example of the Mandela Effect is over the Berenstain Bears. A lot of people remember the name being spelled "Berenstein," with an "e," when it's actually spelled "Berenstain" with an "a."

Let us ponder that for some time. The most famous example of "the Mandela Effect" is over the Berenstain Bears, he says. Not over Nelson Mandela, for whom it is named. That pretty much sums up the whole thing, doesn't it?
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby dada » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:36 pm

Where I come from, the condition is called Trivial Metamorphosis Syndrome. To cure it, a healthy sense of proportion with a dose of broadened perspective will do the trick. There's also an over-the-counter cream that can be applied topically, to prevent scratching which leads to inflammation.

Tangentally related, there's a book that I highly recommend, The Art of Memory by Frances Yates. An illuminating study on the history of mnemonic technique in European culture. Memory arts fall in and out of fashion, I think that an example most are familiar with nowadays is Sherlock Holmes and his 'memory palace.'

If the memory can be a palace, I wonder if it can be abandoned, fall into disrepair, even collapse to rubble. The ruins of memory palaces dot a barren landscape. Or maybe a memory palace can be invaded, overrun. Overtaken by invaders from a far away land, a warlord sits on the throne.

In certain philosophies of the mind, memory, imagination and providence, or foresight if you prefer, function together. So I think that if the memory palace is corrupted, it would most certainly lead to corruption of the imagination and providence, as well.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Harvey » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Acuity of memory is a function of emotional intensity.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby dada » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Some mnemonic techniques use emotional intensity as an aid to memory. Say, to remember a phrase, or the points of an argument, connect them to an unusually beautiful or ugly image in the mind.

And there is much evidence that people do remember exactly what they were doing when major emotionally charged events happen, social events or personal ones. I think there must be more to it, though. I feel it might be possible that past emotional intensity can be overwritten at a later date. Or maybe the emotional intensity of a past event can be discharged. Either way, the emotion connected to the past can change.Which in some sense could be looked at as changing the past itself, I guess.

I've had my share of intense emotional events, but I don't remember them as clearly as I can remember what I write. I can lay with my eyes closed and run through everything I've written in the past day, week, some things I wrote years ago, word for word. Even the words that I post here.

Now, maybe I just put a lot of emotional intensity in the words I write. But I have no explanation for why I can remember the words so clearly, while the major emotional events of my formative years, profound loss, traumas, near death and all the rest, I don't find nearly as memorable.

Also, memory can wax and wane, specific memories even can grow stronger and weaker depending on many factors. And some people can remember things under hypnosis that they don't otherwise recall.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:35 am

dada » 20 Jun 2020, 22:36 wrote:In certain philosophies of the mind, memory, imagination and providence, or foresight if you prefer, function together. So I think that if the memory palace is corrupted, it would most certainly lead to corruption of the imagination and providence, as well.

A memory is overwritten every time it is recalled. The way specific memories get altered in this process would be, I think, a function of the imagination. Indeed, by now the inaccuracy of human recall is more reliable than the inverse, enough so so as to justify the assertion that "eyewitness testimony is notoriously inaccurate". Now — just imagine how reliable memory is as told by way of an article... on the retelling... of a study... which itself reports on itself.

Wait. Back up. What inspired this post is, again, this quote by one of our more reliable member posters. But this extracted sentence itself struck me hard as one that should fall into the Whopper w/ cheese category.
dada » 20 Jun 2020, 22:36 wrote:In certain philosophies of the mind, memory, imagination and providence, or foresight if you prefer, function together. So I think that if the memory palace is corrupted, it would most certainly lead to corruption of the imagination and providence, as well.

If you'll allow me to corrupt the statement by way of my own uninformed interpretation: "Something exists which may or may not be true. Therefore, if we alter this metaphor culled from the mind of the author of the mind of one of modern history's more notorious fictional characters, then the truth of this thing that exists that may or may not be true would be altered also." It reminds me of Deepak Chopra whenever he says "Quantum physics tells us..."

To be fair, I am nitpicking the framework here. For, as is indicated already above, it occurred to me immediately upon thinking into it that memory and imagination are indeed inextricable. All that said, one should take the following with enough grains of salt to make it palatable for our purposes. I additionally point out that my memory of what follows is based upon a different framework, or, more precisely, an article I couldn't find when I Startpaged it., but I would say the at the core it's the same text, which is in bold. Nevertheless, I would have told you, based upon my recall of the article I read about it, that the participants in question had believed that they attended a party depicted in the advert that they had seen two weeks earlier, and not just as is stated in the extract, that they merely believe to have eaten the object of the advert one week prior:

Study Demonstrates False Memories Implanted Via Advertising
By Neurobonkers On May 26, 2011

A study recently published in the The Journal of Consumer Research has demonstrated that people genuinely believe they have autobiographical memories that they whole heartedly believe are real but which are in fact mere memories of adverts.

In the experiment a 100 undergrads were introduced to a made-up pop-corn brand range called “Orville Redenbacher’s Gourmet Fresh Microwave Popcorn” which a significant proportion of the the group was convinced by the expermenters that they both knew and enjoyed the taste of with just a few adverts.

I would normally review the research myself but @WiredScience has such a good report of the experiment I’m going to filch an extract, I highly recommend checking out the original in full… (while we’re at it, I’ve been really impressed by the standard of the @WiredScience blog recently, I highly recommend adding them to your blog-reading-list!

The students were randomly assigned to various advertisement conditions. Some subjects viewed low-imagery text ads, which described the delicious taste of this new snack food. Others watched a high-imagery commercial, in which they watched all sorts of happy people enjoying this popcorn in their living room. After viewing the ads, the students were then assigned to one of two rooms. In one room, they were given an unrelated survey. In the other room, however, they were given a sample of this fictional new popcorn to taste. (A different Orville Redenbacher popcorn was actually used.)

One week later, all the subjects were quizzed about their memory of the product. Here’s where things get disturbing: While students who saw the low-imagery ad were extremely unlikely to report having tried the popcorn, those who watched the slick commercial were just as likely to have said they tried the popcorn as those who actually did. Furthermore, their ratings of the product were as favorable as those who sampled the salty, buttery treat. Most troubling, perhaps, is that these subjects were extremely confident in these made-up memories. The delusion felt true. They didn’t like the popcorn because they’d seen a good ad. They liked the popcorn because it was delicious.”

The scientists refer to this as the “false experience effect,” since the ads are slyly weaving fictional experiences into our very real lives. “Viewing the vivid advertisement created a false memory of eating the popcorn, despite the fact that eating the non-existent product would have been impossible,” write Priyali Rajagopal and Nicole Montgomery, the lead authors on the paper. “As a result, consumers need to be vigilant while processing high-imagery advertisements.”

The answer returns us to a troubling recent theory known as memory reconsolidation. In essence, reconsolidation is rooted in the fact that every time we recall a memory we also remake it, subtly tweaking the neuronal details. Although we like to think of our memories as being immutable impressions, somehow separate from the act of remembering them, they aren’t. A memory is only as real as the last time you remembered it. What’s disturbing, of course, is that we can’t help but borrow many of our memories from elsewhere, so that the ad we watched on television becomes our own, part of that personal narrative we repeat and retell.

This idea, simple as it seems, requires us to completely re-imagine our assumptions about memory. It reveals memory as a ceaseless process, not a repository of inert information. The recall is altered in the absence of the original stimulus, becoming less about what we actually remember and more about what we’d like to remember. It’s the difference between a “Save” and the “Save As” function. Our memories are a “Save As”: They are files that get rewritten every time we remember them, which is why the more we remember something, the less accurate the memory becomes. And so that pretty picture of popcorn becomes a taste we definitely remember, and that alluring soda commercial becomes a scene from my own life. We steal our stories from everywhere. Marketers, it turns out, are just really good at giving us stories we want to steal.

The paper appears to strongly support a lot of the premises that the folk over at Adbusters.org have been basing their work on for a long time.

Edit 28/05/11: After reading the reditt responses to this article I’ve decided to make some updates, thanks to all the folks commenting at Reddit for these tit-bits:

The products in the study were fictitious products but with a real brand name. This does seem to be a strongly limitting factor for the study due to the fact that it is not clear whether the participants had genuine memories of the real products. As a brit “Orville Redenbacher’s Gourmet Fresh Microwave Popcorn” sounded like a completely made up name but this is apparently a very popular popcorn brand in the states which therefore makes the results not quite as grand as presented in the wired article.

That said, it is still interesting that there was a significant difference between the text advertisements and the visual advertisements. If the participants were all just simply recalling a genuine memory of eating the “fake” popcorn and getting the name a little mixed up then you wouldn’t expect a significant effect between the ad types. It might be interesting to see the experiment repeated with a genuinely made-up snack however I’m pretty sure the results would be somewhat more boring.

Personally, now this has emerged I can’t help but agree with “DaveChild”…

There again there are plently of comments like this one by “Kingleary” which suggest a strong theoretical foundation for the rationalle behind the study…

Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby dada » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 am

In certain philosophies of the mind, memory, imagination and providence, or foresight if you prefer, function together. So I think that if the memory palace is corrupted, it would most certainly lead to corruption of the imagination and providence, as well.

It's true, this is an admittedly weak paragraph. I was rushing the thought. The memory palace doesn't originate with Sherlock Holmes, though, Arthur Conan Doyle borrowed the idea. The technique that Holmes' memory palace is based on has been around since at least the age of the Roman empire. Philosophical theories on the connection of memory, imagination and providence go back that far as well, and were still being written about in the time of the scholastic church philosophers.

To further confuse and complicate the issue, the memory can remember false things accurately, as well as true ones innacurately. One can remember picturing a unicorn under that tree during a stroll in the park yesterday, even if one knows it really wasn't there. The purely imagined thing, having no empirical basis in reality at all, can be recalled accurately. One can picture the same unicorn one pictured yesterday.

I'm digesting the article, thanks for it. My first thought is, if things watched can be confused with things experienced, can the opposite occur. Can thngs experienced be remembered as things seen on tv, and the like.
dada

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 am

dada » Yesterday, 16:26 wrote:To further confuse and complicate the issue, the memory can remember false things accurately, as well as true ones innacurately.

I assume (though probably shouldn't) that the non-existent remembered is altered in a similar fashion every time it's recalled and therefore with enough time (or enough times recalled) the false thing and true thing have the potential to converge into the relation of one event based on both truth and fiction, yet entirely the same (and inaccurate, of course).

dada » Yesterday, 16:26 wrote:I'm digesting the article, thanks for it. My first thought is, if things watched can be confused with things experienced, can the opposite occur. Can thngs experienced be remembered as things seen on tv, and the like.

As I originally began to frame my post, I went much further into what I might call my schtick about the advertising industry, whose main success, I have claimed, is selling themselves as an indispensable return on investment. I have also considered that advertising and the big business that loves it is really just a bunch of wealthy people throwing their money around for sport... and to keep each other rich. Long story short, I was out to conclude that much study that's been conducted on memory is tainted by the involvement of the advertising industry, with their aim to bolster the sustainability of their business model. Not sure I quite believe it, though. so I lost steam and just posted the article on the article on the study.

As far as things experienced being remembered as things seen on tv: I would imagine, especially in this ultra-concentrated era, that, yes, we forget or misremember the source of our reality all the time. The first thing your question brought to mind, however, was that, yes, at least as it relates to when you are trying to remember who you had a conversation with or who it was who had told you something. Like, when you're talking to someone and you begin to say, "So-and-so told me the other day..." just as you realise that you can't remember who so-and-so was, and like so many things one cannot remember, it drives you nuts, threatening to interrupt what you had to say until you can remember who you heard it from.

So as it relates to lack of memory, you search the proverbial palace and can picture it in every drawer and behind every knick-knack on every surface space. But you can't find it. Until you do.

I imagine that the event misremembered as a tv show would never find the confirmation of its having been misremembered, as the show would never be found and the assumption of its being a tv show never quite challenged — whereas the tv show taken as a real life experience could at least create the cognitive dissonance during reruns.

One conclusion I'll reassert regarding the fervent adherents to idea that the Mandela Effect represents a very real alteration in the history of reality is that they are entirely too confident in the veracity of their memories.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby Harvey » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:56 pm

mentalgongfu2 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:45 pm wrote:I wrote a long-ish take about the above video and this phenomena earlier this morning, only to mis-click and lose it all because I, stupidly, did not type nor copy/paste it into a word/notepad document while in progress as experience has taught me to do. In it, I mentioned that upon the mention of Stove Top stuffing, I did a quick search to find that it is now invariably associated with STOUFFER'S Stove Top Stuffing and the Mandela effect, even though the only ad for the product I saw on YT did not actually mention Stouffer's or any other brand parent. To be completely honest, after typing all this and having my disappeared post entirely of my own fault, I fell asleep at my desk in front of the PC, as the above video played, and woke up to what the YT algorithm had led on autoplay, which was a quiz game that had teenagers trying to identify references in Disney and Pixar movies.

I shall not attempt to re-create my original post, but the gist was my distrust of the featured NECS video and a stubbornness to not even look it up further, as I am settling into the belief that most of this Mandela effect is simply evidence of our fallible memories and how easily they are manipulated, and how easily suggestible we are.

That said, after waking up from my brief nap in my desk chair, I put on episode 634 of Stop Podcasting Yourself, an entirely un-serious podcast about nothing in particular which often makes me laugh, and began to re-read this entire thread from page 1. Coincidentally, or perhaps synchronistically, the hosts mention Stove Top stuffing in the first 10 minutes or so, without reference to our Mandela'd brand name. It doesn't change my general take on the topic to date,but it certainly attracted my attention. For the record, my current and established take is that I put a lot more weight on the side of misremembering and suggestion than alternate timelines, and not because I disdain the timeline idea, but because all of the so-called Mandela Effects seem to always be about trivial, pop culture sort of things.

I swear I had more to say earlier, while I was having an active internal mental debate while I wrote it out, but I have not the energy to re-write it all. I will instead summarize it. After re-reading this thread, I saved this quote, which some schlub in a published article from Business Insider actually wrote and which can be referenced back on page 13.
The most famous example of the Mandela Effect is over the Berenstain Bears. A lot of people remember the name being spelled "Berenstein," with an "e," when it's actually spelled "Berenstain" with an "a."

Let us ponder that for some time. The most famous example of "the Mandela Effect" is over the Berenstain Bears, he says. Not over Nelson Mandela, for whom it is named. That pretty much sums up the whole thing, doesn't it?

I woke up at first light one morning in my new home* and upon leaving, paused to survey and admire how the low sun recast my surroundings. Shadows and light through trees, the imbecility of these human box structures was given a new lease of life in such conditions, everything dappled, everything mysterious, dew flecked and revivified. I went on a long bike ride through three counties which took me the whole day, returning exhausted in the evening light, sun slanting across everything from the opposite side of the sky.

The problem here is that when I left that morning, the grass was short, there were no flowers, it was a sunny but wintery day just before spring. When I returned, the grass around my apartment was a riot of tall grass and dandelions, millions of dandelions everywhere and that's not even the strangest thing. I'm reluctant to explain further because it's simply too mad. That was just my life then, everything changing constantly and unaccountably in ways it would be impossible to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it, without spending at least a year or two describing the minutiae of it.

What does one do when this is not an aberration but one's day to day experience, as it was for me then? One can only accept that one is mad or that consciousness itself is something remarkably odd to begin with. If you want to live, you must somehow learn to live with it, because the alternative is even more unknown.

*New to me after after sleeping rough for much of the preceeding year during which time I had experienced weeks of wakefulness, without sleep, regular starvation, hopelessness and despondency. But also many other wonderful things I would never have encountered otherwise...
Last edited by Harvey on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby dada » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:52 pm

I'd say this thread is going in a memorable direction now! ha

I had a nice 'so and so told me the other day' experience last night. It was something I'd read recently, and couldn't remember which author wrote it. I visited a few books where I thought it might be, and had a wonderful time searching late into the night. I didn't find what I was looking for, but the search was such a productive session, that in the end it didn't matter.

This morning, on a hunch, I searched in a different place and found it. The quote goes 'the formula of dialogic misunderstanding - which is to say, of what is truly alive in the dialogue. "Misunderstanding" is here another word for the rhythm with which the only true reality forces its way into the conversation. The more effectively a man is able to speak, the more successfully he is misunderstood.'
dada

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:06 am

dada » Yesterday, 23:52 wrote:The more effectively a man is able to speak, the more successfully he is misunderstood.'

Brilliant. I often tell people that my German is so good that it results in much more profound misunderstandings.

ON EDIT [and in an attempt to stay on topic]: I conclude that the dramaturgy in Moonraker either intentionally or by way of default archetypical production, in particular the portrayals of the star-crossed Dolly and Jaws, had just the right je ne sais quoi to lead to the misunderstanding that Blanche Ravalec was wearing braces. Or, put less pretentiously, and as someone has likely said already in this thread: It's what you would have expected. Some people want to believe that for that very reason they would have remembered had she not been wearing them. I say, that's just desperately clinging to the notion that your mind doesn't play tricks on you.

Then again, maybe it's all the same. Maybe our minds playing tricks on us is the intersection between universes. At any rate, I am pretty sure that we're each of us living in different universes anyway.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby dada » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:16 pm

Harvey » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:56 pm wrote:
The problem here is that when I left that morning, the grass was short, there were no flowers, it was a sunny but wintery day just before spring. When I returned, the grass around my apartment was a riot of tall grass and dandelions, millions of dandelions everywhere and that's not even the strangest thing. I'm reluctant to explain further because it's simply too mad. That was just my life then, everything changing constantly and unaccountably in ways it would be impossible to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it, without spending at least a year or two describing the minutiae of it.

What does one do when this is not an aberration but one's day to day experience, as it was for me then? One can only accept that one is mad or that consciousness itself is something remarkably odd to begin with. If you want to live, you must somehow learn to live with it, because the alternative is even more unknown.

You know the optical illusion of the ballerina spinning, sometimes it looks like she's turning clockwise, sometimes counter. Or seeing a radar dish on a tower from far away can produce the same optical effect. I think time, and life, too, are like that. Except the ballerina graphic is designed to turn in one circle, so the illusion is the opposite spin. The radar dish is actually spinning counter-clockwise, the clockwise turn is the illusion. But time and life are not the same as the ballerina and the radar, because whichever way they appear to be spinning at the moment of perception, that's exactly how they are spinning.

I guess I'm saying that I think life is no consensus opinion. And it is always dappled, mysterious, dew flecked and revivified. Maybe we don't always see it that way. When we see matter as dead, it's dead matter. When we see it as alive, it's living.

When living in the living world, I find the trick is to play it cool. I remind myself that others don't see it like I do, so matter for them behaves differently.

You know, like the Imam who was held prisoner in the paupers' caravanserai.

One of the Companions came to him to pay his respects. Sadly and indignantly he said to the Imam: "You, the guarantor of God on this Earh, held prisoner in the caravanserai of the beggars!" The Imam replied with a gesture: "Look!" At that very instant the faithful devotee saw gardens, flower beds and streams of fresh water all around him. He heard the Imam say to him:. "Wherever We are, it is like that. No, we are not in the beggars' caravanserai."

So, maybe we are not actually in the caravanserai of the beggars.
dada

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion