The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker)

Postby OP ED » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:21 pm

Um, no, not really.
OP ED

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:19 pm

I'm pretty sure I already commented on this thread after BS's reveal of the VHS content but this reality merge thing is speeding up because now it's gone. Or maybe when you go meta on this stuff it creates more divergences.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby justdrew » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:58 pm

so I kinda got one...

I would swear in like, 2005?2006?2007? the Cubs won their first world series in many many decades.

and now I hear, it's happening again? well, ok. :confused

is there some other sports team in that aprox time frame that won some kinda thing after a long losing streak?

never mind, it was Boston :roll:
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby brekin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:29 pm

This thread seemed like:

But was really just:

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:15 pm

Ah, the return of one of my favorite car-crash threads.

I could have sworn the Mets won the World Series last year, also in 1994, and six or seven times since then. It's a vision clear to me as a summer's day. But now people are telling me the last time was 1986, something about Buckner and cocaine, and they say they don't remember it any other way. O cruel manipulators of the timeline!
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby norton ash » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:37 pm

Bucky fuckin' Dent.

Dent is most famous for his home run in a tie-breaker game against the Boston Red Sox at the end of the 1978 season.

Immediately following the Reggie Jackson .44 'Son of Sam' murders

So Agent Mulder goes ahead and writes a 2016 book of that title.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-revi ... king-dent/

So the takeaway here is... never bet against the Yankees. Or against the Mets like the Bad Lieutenant did in '92.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby tron » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:04 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA3dzBrXYtc

i cant find the right bit, but you all get the gig, the bit where god shifts time and everything goes back to normal.
tron

Re: The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker),

Postby MayDay » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:20 pm

I agree that the majority of the speculative discussion surrounding this topic, especially on sites like Reddit, is juvenile and often quite inane, and would call the entire validity of so called time-line changes into question for me, were I not amongst the many who remember major events differently then they are currently presented as fact.

None of you really know me, as I rarely post here, and I can't convince you of my own inate intelligence/ curiosity any further than my claim that this forum has been my primary means of understanding and interpreting the world, politics, weirdness, and current events for nearly ten years. Hopefully that counts for something. I respect the people here, and I'm greatful for the value you've brought to my life. Perhaps this is why, at the expense of sounding crazy and being ridiculed by people I admire, I feel it worth-while to share my experience in this phenomenon. Whatever you think of my subjective experience, I'm cool with it. It's not going to change my views on any of you, and it's not going to hurt my feelings much.

I remember 4 people in the JFK car. Two secret service agents in the front, JFK and his wife in the back seat. The magic bullet theory was dismissed as loony because 1 bullet was said to have gone through both Kennedys body, and into Connalys body, who was riding in a separate car behind john and Jackie. The photos with three rows of seats and 6 bodies make no sense to me.

I am a space geek, although not a space buff. I primarily read SF and I've always been curious about the space program. I was taught that we landed on the moon once, and never made it back. This was at an expensive private school near DC that is highly respected and had an 80% on to college rate. I would have known about the moon rover because it's so frickin cool it would have excited me to no end as a child. I've never even seen photos of the manned moon rover until the past month.

These are the biggest wtf's for me, and frankly I'm not all that interested in all the supposed pop culture and brand name changes, although some of them ring astoundingly true to me.

I have yet to ask someone about the JFK assasination who hasn't replied 4 when I ask how many people were in the car, btw, and I only ask close personal friends who. I know to be of much higher than average intelligence.

I don't blame you for mocking this topic, especially given the amount of non-sense strewn across the web regarding these so called changes. I would mock it too, were it not for the very disturbing discrepancies between what I've always known and what I'm now told is historical fact. And I have no idea what could explain it, just a bunch of speculation and half formed ideas I don't even trust. And I'm cool with that, too.
MayDay

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:26 pm

It wasn't four people in the motorcade?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Agent Orange Cooper » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:22 am

If you fondly remember the early-1990s film "Shazaam," starring the comedian Sinbad as an incompetent genie who tries to help out two young children — then you are wrong.

Not because the movie isn't good, but because it never existed in the first place.

As Amelia Tait reported in The New Statesman, hundreds of people on the internet are absolutely certain they've seen the movie "Shazaam." And yes, they know about the 1996 movie "Kazaam" starring Shaquille O'Neal as a genie. They're certain "Shazaam" is something else. In their minds, it's a twin movie, another movie with a similar plot that came out around the same time.

But there is no evidence "Shazaam" ever existed. Sinbad himself (whose real name is David Adkins) is certain he never starred in such a movie.

The mass delusion over "Shazaam" has been attributed to the Mandela Effect, which is an idea that people have mass-misrememberings. There isn't yet any scientific literature that backs up the Mandela Effect, but it's similar to the idea of "confabulation," which is when people unconsciously distort their own memories.

The most famous example of the Mandela Effect is over the Berenstain Bears. A lot of people remember the name being spelled "Berenstein," with an "e," when it's actually spelled "Berenstain" with an "a."

Some maintain that the name was changed to make the series sound "less Jewish," but hardcore Berenstain fans will remember their television Christmas special. And anyway, the series was written by Stan and Jan Berenstain.

Just like the inaccurate "Berenstein Bears," people have been misremembering "Shazaam" for years. The earliest online evidence of the mass delusion, according to Tait's excellent article, is a 2009 Yahoo! Answers thread: "Wasnt there a movie in the early '90s where Sinbad the entertainer/comedian played a genie? I know 'Kazaam' had Shaq in it and that's not the one I'm thinking about. Help it's driving me nuts!"

Then, five years ago, Reddit user MJGSimple swore it was a conspiracy: "I swear this movie exists, anyone have a copy or know where I can find proof!" And later on, a discussion over the nonexistent movie stormed into a subreddit dedicated to the Mandela Effect.

The delusion is widespread enough for some people to think that we're all living in a computer simulation, where actors beyond our imagination are modifying the timelines of our reality.

cont'd @ http://www.businessinsider.com/does-the ... st-2016-12
Agent Orange Cooper

Postby BrandonD » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:45 am

The mandela effect is only nonsensical and paradoxical when under the assumption that the material world is objectively real.

I say something is real, you say it is not. You have 3 people to back you up. Therefore, this thing is not real. Consensus is the arbiter of what is real. There is no other criteria. The fact that consensus defines our world has never truly been pulled all the way out by the roots and examined, it is a deeply buried mystery.

Mandela effects are only illustrations of this principle, and because reality is assembled in the mind I suspect these incidents and inconsistencies happen all the time to everyone, but they are simply not noticed because our reality has never been so fundamentally questioned en masse as it is today.

There is a powerful social force that inclines a person towards agreement with others that he feels affinity towards, and it is this force alone that produces the illusion of a solid and reliable external world.

Not only is the external world "not real" but this also means by extension that neither are we! Consensus with our peers is the relinquishing of our own authentic reality in exchange for the soothing of our deeply-ingrained aching isolation.

Even our hallowed scientific constants are in fact not constant at all, this is a dark secret that some authorities go to great lengths to obfuscate.

The natural world that we each individually experience corresponds to the thoughts and feelings of an intelligence, and the group of people with whom one shares consensus are all under the influence of that particular intelligence. Are these perhaps the gods of ancient times, or the signs of the zodiac?

There you go, a hearty spoonful of woo to go with your Christmas goose. Hope everyone has a great xmas
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Re: The Mandela Effect (Disappearing Braces in Moonraker),

Postby smoking since 1879 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:15 am

MayDay » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:20 pm wrote:I agree that the majority of the speculative discussion surrounding this topic, especially on sites like Reddit, is juvenile and often quite inane, and would call the entire validity of so called time-line changes into question for me, were I not amongst the many who remember major events differently then they are currently presented as fact.

None of you really know me, as I rarely post here, and I can't convince you of my own inate intelligence/ curiosity any further than my claim that this forum has been my primary means of understanding and interpreting the world, politics, weirdness, and current events for nearly ten years. Hopefully that counts for something. I respect the people here, and I'm greatful for the value you've brought to my life. Perhaps this is why, at the expense of sounding crazy and being ridiculed by people I admire, I feel it worth-while to share my experience in this phenomenon. Whatever you think of my subjective experience, I'm cool with it. It's not going to change my views on any of you, and it's not going to hurt my feelings much.

I remember 4 people in the JFK car. Two secret service agents in the front, JFK and his wife in the back seat. The magic bullet theory was dismissed as loony because 1 bullet was said to have gone through both Kennedys body, and into Connalys body, who was riding in a separate car behind john and Jackie. The photos with three rows of seats and 6 bodies make no sense to me.

I am a space geek, although not a space buff. I primarily read SF and I've always been curious about the space program. I was taught that we landed on the moon once, and never made it back. This was at an expensive private school near DC that is highly respected and had an 80% on to college rate. I would have known about the moon rover because it's so frickin cool it would have excited me to no end as a child. I've never even seen photos of the manned moon rover until the past month.

These are the biggest wtf's for me, and frankly I'm not all that interested in all the supposed pop culture and brand name changes, although some of them ring astoundingly true to me.

I have yet to ask someone about the JFK assasination who hasn't replied 4 when I ask how many people were in the car, btw, and I only ask close personal friends who. I know to be of much higher than average intelligence.

I don't blame you for mocking this topic, especially given the amount of non-sense strewn across the web regarding these so called changes. I would mock it too, were it not for the very disturbing discrepancies between what I've always known and what I'm now told is historical fact. And I have no idea what could explain it, just a bunch of speculation and half formed ideas I don't even trust. And I'm cool with that, too.

I found this, does it help ?

"Now that the assertive, the self-aggrandising, the arrogant and the self-opinionated have allowed their obnoxious foolishness to beggar us all I see no reason in listening to their drivelling nonsense any more." Stanilic
smoking since 1879

Postby elfismiles » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:37 am

Don't worry ... Rabbit Hole Reality Police are en route to your location. They're here to help. :ambulance:

ETA: Donald Hoffman - evolution of perception doesn't score accuracy as necessarily favorable to survivability...

Donald Hoffman: Do we see reality as it is? | TED Talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYp5XuGYqqY

It's frustrating knowing our senses may have evolved to lie to us... :confused
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Burnt Hill » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:01 am

It's frustrating knowing our senses may have evolved to lie to us... :confused

And yet if they had not, you might not be here to consider that frustration.

Of course it also raises the question, again, of who owns us.
Burnt Hill

Postby smoking since 1879 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:57 pm

god dammit, George Michael died again!
"Now that the assertive, the self-aggrandising, the arrogant and the self-opinionated have allowed their obnoxious foolishness to beggar us all I see no reason in listening to their drivelling nonsense any more." Stanilic
smoking since 1879

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion