What's Happening? It? (TRIGGERS UPON TRIGGERS)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: What's Happening? It? (TRIGGERS UPON TRIGGERS)

Postby guruilla » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:40 pm

slomo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:19 pm wrote:Here's a project I'm interested in, for the sake of science: I'd like to use CRSPR/cas-9 technology to edit the genomes of certain pathogens so that they can attack certain molecular regulatory mechanisms involved in hematopoietic differentiation. I will identify the molecular basis of these mechanisms using ENCODE and similar functional genomics resources. Also, I intend to tune the attacks so that they will find success only along stretches of the genome that contain genetic variants specific to Ashkenazi Jews, using data from sources such as HGP and HapMap. As a side project, I might also create another line that targets the YRI (West-African) haplotypes.

This is OK, right? It's for the good of science, after all. I'm just proving that it can be done.

:signwhut:

Thank God I'm an aartist.
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Blog: View Blog (0)

The Pizza Connection: Mafia, Money Laundering, & Pizzareias

Postby guruilla » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:42 pm

New deep background/history lead?

The Pizza Connection Trial stands as the longest criminal jury trial in the federal courts in U.S. history.[1] The trial began on September 30, 1985 and ended with convictions of all but one of the 22 defendants on March 2, 1987.

The trial centered on a Mafia-run enterprise that distributed vast quantities of heroin and cocaine in the United States, and then laundered the cash before sending it back to the suppliers in Sicily. The U.S. defendants utilized a number of independently owned pizza parlors as fronts for narcotics sales and collections – hence the name “Pizza Connection”. Evidence at the trial proved that the enterprise shipped no less than $1.6 billion of heroin to the U.S. between 1975 and April 1984. Arrests of scores of conspirators were coordinated in the U.S., Italy, Switzerland and Spain on April 9, 1984, following the capture of Gaetano Badalamenti and several family members the previous day in Madrid, Spain. Badalamenti was the former boss of the Sicilian Mafia, and a key supplier of heroin and cocaine to the U.S. Mafia distributors.

The arrests were carried out by U.S. authorities, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the U.S. Customs Service and the New York City Police Department, who worked in extremely close cooperation with the Italian National Police and prosecutors, as well as the Swiss authorities. The arrests followed a two-year investigation carried out by U.S. and Italian authorities who shared highly sensitive information and agreed to coordinate their efforts to strike the U.S./Italian mafia-narcotics business.
After trial, all but one of the defendants were convicted, and, except for one low-level defendant, those verdicts were affirmed on appeal. During the course of the investigation and trial, the U.S. and Italy entered into new Treaties on Extradition and Mutual Legal Assistance that enabled law-enforcement authorities from both countries to actively cooperate and share information. Those treaties and the “Pizza” case became models that the U.S. has since used to attack organized crime and narcotics trafficking on a global basis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_Connection_Trial

An interesting (though hardly surprising) detail about this case that brings it a step or two closer to Comet Ping Ping:

Giuseppe Vitale was husband to Badalamenti’s niece, who ran a pizza parlor in Paris, Ill., about 25 miles south of Danville near the Indiana border. Salvatore Evola, a construction worker from Temperance, Mich., was also husband to another of Badalamenti’s nieces.

The defendants were described by federal authorities as “go-betweens” for Badalamenti’s drug smuggling and money-laundering operation. Alfano was described by authorities as Badalamenti’s primary Midwest contact for the operation, which Badalamenti ran from pay phones in Rio de Janeiro.

Badalamenti called Alfano at a pay phone outside the Pineway Liquor Mart in Oregon, Ill., or at Alfano’s restaurant, where they exchanged coded messages that detailed telephone numbers and quantities of heroin and cocaine.

Coded references spoken in Sicilian included drug synonyms: salted sardines, pants, shirts, suits, cotton, acrylic and a telephone number code, “TERMINUSA,” in which “T” represented the number one, “E” represented the number two, etc.

http://rockrivertimes.com/1993/07/01/pi ... -examined/

So there's that. Now flash-forward thirty years, to 2014, via International Business Times:

Pizza Ciro, a picturesque restaurant in the heart of Italy’s capital . . . had been in business for more than a decade before it was seized by Italian authorities last month, along with 26 other restaurants and cafés in the heart of Rome. In a major sweep against the Mafia, police arrested 90 people and seized assets worth 250 million euros, including pizzerias allegedly owned by a crime syndicate that used them to launder proceeds from drug dealing, extortion and loan-sharking.

The Reach Of The Octopus

"The raid on pizzerias unveiled an emblematic alliance between a well-established family of business owners in Rome and one of Naples’ most powerful Camorra families," Prestipino, who leads the investigation as Rome’s deputy chief prosecutor, said in an interview. The size of the Mafia presence in Rome is difficult to assess, according to Prestipino, but "for sure, there is so much wealth in Rome that is indirectly linked to criminal groups,” he said.

According to Sabrina Alfonsi, the president of Rome's central district, "nearly 70 percent of restaurants and bars in downtown Rome are thought to be in the hands of organized crime." Figures from LUISS University in Rome put the turnover for Mafia groups from their Rome operations at more than one billion euros, or $1.35 billion, a year.

People may not even realize that they are ordering their pizza from the mob, whose extensive reach is exemplified by the euphemism many Italians use to describe it: la piovra, the giant octopus, whose tentacles reach far and wide.
Anti-Mafia prosecutors are focusing on the many shops and commercial activities in the city whose ownership has changed very rapidly. Many of the new buyers, mostly from southern Italy, are quick to replace staff and suppliers with people coming from their own areas. Then they hire relatives, or crime-family affiliates, who often are made to appear as legitimate owners of the business.

Fancy Mafiosi Go Abroad

In sharp contrast with the violent crimes they commit in southern Italy, mafiosi in Rome are very careful to avoid clamor, so as not to draw attention from the authorities. Some criminal organizations are said to have agreed to a non-aggression pact in order to avoid public attention. Departing from traditional money-laundering strategies, they no longer invests in smoky bars, cheap hotels or run-down strip clubs in the suburbs, good for stocking cash rather than generating it. Today, the mafiosi increasingly choose prestigious locations and fashionable restaurants they expect to generate a profit.

Prosecutors found the Continis indirectly owned pizzerias located right in front of the Senate, or even tauntingly close to the headquarters of the National Anti-Mafia Prosecutor’s Office. One could be forgiven for having no idea who’s really behind those places; many didn’t, even among the rich and famous who ate there and whose pictures still grace the doorway at Pizza Ciro. Among them are actresses, soccer players, even former prime minister Mario Monti and the celebrated anti-Mafia prosecutor Antonio Ingroia.
But unwittingly helping the Mafia launder its money doesn't necessarily have to happen in Italy. Mafia groups are among the most powerful and connected to other similar organizations globally. A report in 2012 from Confesercenti, an Italian business lobby, estimated that the main Mafia groups had a yearly turnover of 140 billion euros ($190 billion), almost one tenth of the size of the entire Italian economy, with cash reserves of 65 billion euros and assets all over the world.
But tourists sitting in Rome’s Mafia-linked restaurants don’t know any of this. They have no clue that the cheese on top of their margherita pie may have come from a dairy farm controlled by the Camorra, or that the young man serving them may really be a crime-family enforcer moonlighting as a fake waiter. And they don’t know that the lyrics of the Neapolitan folk song blasting from the speakers at Ciro sound like a perfect, sadly ironic image of many Italians’ unwillingness to face the hard truth that organized crime is buying up their country: “Let's forget the past! We're from Naples!"

http://www.ibtimes.com/want-some-mafia- ... ts-1555674

Also:

Dubious German media reports have stated that around 30 percent of German pizza restaurants are mafia controlled. (The number is closer to 3 percent, restaurateurs say.) Seventeen Duisberg restaurant owners have issued an anti-mafia statement in order to reassure customers, but the ‘Ndrangheta has certainly not helped their fellow Italians with blunt statements such as this one:

"The Germans must realize that where there is pizza, there’s the Mafia.”

http://foreignpolicy.com/2007/08/23/whe ... the-mafia/

Mafia known links to child-trafficking (surprisingly little on this at first search)

So how far back does this go? Far enough to constitute a "tradition"? Just asking ...

Gennaro Lombardi was an Italian immigrant who moved to the United States in 1897 known for opening the first pizzeria in the United States, Lombardi's.[1][2] He opened a small grocery store in New York City's Little Italy. An employee of his, Antonio Totonno Pero, also an Italian immigrant, began making pizza for the store to sell. Their pizza became so popular that Lombardi opened the first US pizzeria in 1905, naming it simply Lombardi's.

Although Lombardi was influenced by the pies of Naples, he was forced to adapt pizza to Americans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gennaro_Lombardi

Organized crime and the Mafia

Little Italy residents have seen organized crime since the early 1900s. Powerful members of the Italian Mafia operated in Little Italy.

Ignazio "The Wolf" Lupo (a Morello crime family boss operated in Little Italy from late 1890s-1920s)
Michele "Big Mike" Miranda (a Capo in the Genovese crime family operated in the neighborhood from the 1950s into the late 1960s)
Peter DeFeo (a Genovese crime family capo who operated an illegal Italian lottery in the 1960s into the 1970s)
Matthew "Matty the Horse" Ianniello (a Genovese crime family capo operated from his restaurant Umberto's Clam House in the 1970s)
John Gotti (boss of the Gambino crime family operated from the Ravenite Social Club in the late 1980s into the early 1990s)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Italy,_Manhattan

That's at first pass using only MSM sources + wikipedia. I will follow this trail a bit more & see what comes up (it's closer to my hunting ground than Haiti).
Last edited by guruilla on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby slomo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:44 pm

seemslikeadream » 10 Dec 2016 14:39 wrote:slomo I wanted to make sure you saw my answer to your question...yes I believe Wikileak emails are real and I am waiting very patiently for the Trump and RNC leaks

And I just answered (was away from the computer for awhile).

This is not a partisan issue for me. All of them are abhorrent. Clinton included. As Assange quipped (paraphrase): "not leaking any damaging Trump material because he leaks it himself."
slomo

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:47 pm

damaging Trump material because he leaks it himself.

oh please ... give me a break on that one...where's his tax returns....just for starters

if it wasn't a partisan issue why not expect leaks from Trump and RNC also?
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby slomo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:55 pm

The fact that the WL leaks - which you say you believe are real - reflect poorly on Clinton has nothing to do with whether damaging Trump material has been selectively withheld. Objectively (if they are true and not forgeries), without comparison to any other sociopath at the helm of government, they point to extremely poor character and inability to govern intelligently or justly.

Anyway, suit yourself. You're welcome to your partisan ideals. But fewer and fewer people are buying into them.
slomo

Postby slomo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:57 pm

guruilla » 10 Dec 2016 14:40 wrote:
slomo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:19 pm wrote:Here's a project I'm interested in, for the sake of science: I'd like to use CRSPR/cas-9 technology to edit the genomes of certain pathogens so that they can attack certain molecular regulatory mechanisms involved in hematopoietic differentiation. I will identify the molecular basis of these mechanisms using ENCODE and similar functional genomics resources. Also, I intend to tune the attacks so that they will find success only along stretches of the genome that contain genetic variants specific to Ashkenazi Jews, using data from sources such as HGP and HapMap. As a side project, I might also create another line that targets the YRI (West-African) haplotypes.

This is OK, right? It's for the good of science, after all. I'm just proving that it can be done.

:signwhut:

Thank God I'm an aartist.

Yeah, well obviously it's satire. Except the technical part. It isn't science fiction, it is totally feasible. Might take a few years, and certainly would require a P4 lab and appropriate levels of funding, but all the technical elements are public knowledge.
slomo

Postby Agent Orange Cooper » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:58 pm

guruilla » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:42 pm wrote:New deep background/history lead?

Trigger warning: anecdotal evidence ahead. I worked for a pizza place in the PNW for several years, which was owned by a Bulgarian husband & wife. It was a real hole in the wall joint, not particularly good pizza. Business was fairly steady, not outstanding, but I often wondered how it remained in business, especially when he would buy certain amenities for the place that seemed totally extraneous (like a huge neon-sign, the kind you can program with whatever text on it you want). Most of the other employees were either Bulgarian or Russian (aside from a few other young Americans like myself).

One day (out of the three or so years I worked there), the owner was paid a visit by a couple "well-dressed men." They arrived in a very shiny sports car & wore clean-cut expensive suits. They spoke in Italian (or perhaps Bulgarian, I confess my ears wouldn't know the difference). Though I couldn't understand the language, it was obvious that my boss was kissing their asses in a major way. I assumed at the time, only half-jokingly, that these guys were 'the bank,' and that the whole business was a front for a money laundering operation of some kind.

So yeah, I doubt that this is at all uncommon.
Last edited by Agent Orange Cooper on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Orange Cooper

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:59 pm

slomo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:55 pm wrote:The fact that the WL leaks - which you say you believe are real - reflect poorly on Clinton has nothing to do with whether damaging Trump material has been selectively withheld. Objectively (if they are true and not forgeries), without comparison to any other sociopath at the helm of government, they point to extremely poor character and inability to govern intelligently or justly.

Anyway, suit yourself. You're welcome to your partisan ideals. But fewer and fewer people are buying into them.

This has nothing to do with partisan ideals....this has to do with the fact that Wikileaks has not leaked anything on Trump or the RNC ...

and I am very sure there is plenty on the RNC and Trump

why no leaks on them? Just who is being partisan here?
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby slomo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:00 pm

It has been said before, but pizza is a largely cash-based business with easily sourced ingredients and simple recipes/protocols. Therefore ideal for money laundering.
slomo

Postby slomo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:01 pm

seemslikeadream » 10 Dec 2016 14:59 wrote:
slomo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:55 pm wrote:The fact that the WL leaks - which you say you believe are real - reflect poorly on Clinton has nothing to do with whether damaging Trump material has been selectively withheld. Objectively (if they are true and not forgeries), without comparison to any other sociopath at the helm of government, they point to extremely poor character and inability to govern intelligently or justly.

This has nothing to do with partisan ideals....this has to do with the fact that Wikileaks has not leaked anything on Trump or the RNC ...

and I am very sure there is plenty on the RNC and Trump

why no leaks on them? Just who is being partisan here?

Possibly/likely Wikileaks is partisan. Doesn't exonerate Clinton in the least. Not one iota.
slomo

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:03 pm

point to anywhere that I have expected exoneration of Clinton ...not one iota of a post
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby slomo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:07 pm

seemslikeadream » 10 Dec 2016 15:03 wrote:point to anywhere that I have expected exoneration of Clinton ...not one iota of a post

OK, then what's your point? So Wikileaks is biased in favor of Trump. If the emails are not forgeries, then they are still a valid source.

Is it "Russian propaganda" if it's true? If you think that, then you probably agree with the Pope that it's a sin to disseminate unpleasant information, even if it's true.
slomo

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:09 pm

I do not think Wikileaks is Russian propaganda...I do not think the emails are forgeries ...I just want to know why Wikileaks did not....has not leaked anything on Trump or the RNC
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby simian1 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:10 pm

guruilla » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:42 pm wrote:

"The Germans must realize that where there is pizza, there’s the Mafia.”

...And where there's Mafia, there's the international pedophile network known as Catholicism which operates above official suspicion on every continent. A tradition? I don't know how you could miss/deny it.
simian1

Postby slomo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:13 pm

SLAD, I've responded in the other thread. It's OT here.
slomo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion