The Liberals Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Liberals Thread

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:48 am

Morty » 01 Dec 2016 20:30 wrote:I liked it. In fact I found myself looking for the like button as I read it. No wonder Jeff has fucked off to facebook. Must be why. Place is shit without like buttons.

In this last of meeting places
We grope together
And avoid speech
Joe Hillshoist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:49 pm

JackRiddler » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:26 pm wrote:
2. From electoral losers to street putschists, the speculators and their whiny media mouthpieces strive to overthrow the election process. Against the tens of millions of free voters, the speculators bankrolled a few thousands demonstrators, drunk with their own delusions of starting a color-coded ‘Manhattan Spring’ to overthrow the elected President. Decked out in black ‘anarchist chic’, the window vandals and historically illiterate students were energized by George Soros’ promise to replicate the putsches in Kiev and Tbilisi. They took to the streets, cracked a few some windows and signed thousands of ‘on-line petitions’ (while denouncing Trump as the ‘Second Coming of Kristalnacht’). The media magnified the theatrics as a sort of uprising to restore their loser-emancipator to the throne - the bleery-eyed Jean D’Arc of the Hedge Funds. The losers lost and Hillary will hopefully retire to count her millions. The stock market soared to record heights.

Yeah, pretty much Nazi-level propaganda. A mind like this could never just say, as a conventional right-wing person might: "Oh look, a bunch of dirty hippies, ha ha, I disagree with them but they're on the streets expressing their constitutionally protected rights and tonight they will go home." No, expressions of dissent by the street rabble are intolerable! Spontaneous? Impossible! Nothing could be a demonstration of angry, actual people (I mean, besides the mobs beating protesters at Trump rallies, they're okay).

No, if there are people demonstrating in New York City -- where did so many of them come from in such a tiny town? -- then a Jew must be financing it!

Not for the first time, I must ask: Where's my goddamn Soros check? How come I never get it?

I had forgotten how much of an asshole James Petras is. Or hadn't had the displeasure of reading in a while. See, I'm not in an echo chamber after all, and I'd read this fellow enough times to know him, and then no longer wasted my time. Now that I've been treated again: Can't say he's disappointing expectations.

And wait, this is an RI post? Do you know what the stock market always does, after it "soars to record heights"? Same guy who's writing a condemnation of the "liberal" business press hasn't figured that out? A four-times bankrupt, money-laundering "billion-dollar-loss" gangster like Trump is well aware. Crashes are where his kind cash in. Or has your Fuehrer repealed the course of financial history?

But hey, it's okay, it's all team sports, right Morty? Fuck understanding anything, right? Everything's just a move to watch and cheer or boo.

"Where's my Soros check?" is becoming such a widespread joke amongst leftist organizers but one that oddly enough isn't going anywhere in spite of our hyperreal speed of meme generation. It's not going anywhere until reactionaries start to understand that leftists actually want universal basic income, universal healthcare, prison abolition, an end to war, an end to police brutality, an end to the rape of our planet, a voice in decision-making, an end to the billionaire ownership class, an end to violence against women, and are fighting for them.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby dada » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:35 pm

The breakdown of consumer identity is threatening to the manufactured culture. This is why your individuality is commodified, then sold back to you.

In the manufactured culture, there's a disagreement over tactics. Some would preserve the social hierarchy, others recommend restructuring. Dismantling the social hierarchy is the unthinkable, the true defeat of the class war. This is always unspoken.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:44 am

#Liberals #CIA #ObnoxiousQuotesFromInsufferableAssholes

Be happy for coal miners losing their health insurance. They're getting exactly what they voted for

By kos

Monday Dec 12, 2016 · 7:24 PM

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/12/1 ... -voted-for
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:33 pm

Thank you, Eileen Jones, for this timely public service announcement.

Against Meryl Streep

Meryl Streep’s speechifying at the Golden Globes was the worst thing to happen since Trump’s election.

by Eileen Jones

Meryl Streep at the 1989 Academy Awards. Alan Light / Flickr

That I should live to see the day when Meryl Streep’s speechifying at a Hollywood awards show is admired as solemnly and discussed as fervently as Lincoln’s second inaugural address is a personal nightmare. Lectured by Streep! And about how her and all her Hollywood pals, decked out in everything that costs the earth and sparkles in the spotlight, are among the true victims of Donald Trump’s American authoritarianism!

In Streep’s view, it seems, cultural war has been declared on Hollywood’s liberal elite, which is “full of foreigners,” she notes, and therefore doubly vulnerable.

Yes, Trump is bad for movie stars everywhere, and Streep is truly “heartbroken” by this. Therefore, she brought to the Golden Globes all the fiery rhetoric she used to play Margaret Thatcher in a recent admiring biopic, and to stump for Hillary Clinton on behalf of a cheering faux-feminist “pantsuit nation.”

I may have to take today off work, just to recover from this latest onslaught of Streepian solipsism embraced by the world as the height of Hollywood ethics, which is just the best ethics of all. The way she condemned the “performance” of Donald Trump when he mocked disabled New York Times reporter Serge Kovaleski, as if Trump were up for a rival Golden Globes Award and had disgraced the Screen Actors Guild, was truly righteous, wasn’t it? She’s so classy, isn’t she?

And classy is the word for it, all right. Ever since the 1980s, Streep has been Hollywood’s imperious snob-appeaser, paraded around as a rebuttal to all those who claim the American film industry generates nothing but lowbrow entertainment for the masses. Just look at all those high-toned roles, and the rave reviews of besotted critics, and the shelves upon shelves of Academy Awards!

If it must be admitted that Hollywood can only hire the classiest performers, the titled ones from England, like Dame Judy Dench and Sir Ian McKellen, nevertheless Americans can always point with pride to Meryl Streep, our very own homegrown acting royalty with as snooty an accent as any of them!

If I seem bitter, it’s because I was raised on this Streep, and she has haunted my life with her high-and-mighty blonde heft and Yale Drama School ways. As an undergraduate, I was one of only two people in America who hated her, hated her with a passion. The other one was my best friend Sue, and we were united in our loathing. Sue, who studied acting at a mere state school, did a wonderful impression of early Streep performances, full of distractingly big “acting choices” that could be seen from space. We called Streep “the world’s most famous acting student.”

For we were angry working-class girls, see, and Streep’s privilege seemed to roll off her in waves. Technically, Streep comes from the middle class, but by the time she appeared in films, any regular Jersey Girl crudities had been planed away, and she was all golden hauteur. The tilt of her jaw, the lift of her nose like something out of an old portrait representing aristocratic Anglo-German inbreeding, the toss of that shiny blonde mane, overawed everyone.

Even we had to admit, eventually, that Streep was a good actor, if only to keep our citizenship. But I’ve never been entirely sure if she really is, or if we’re all just cowed by the intoxicating aura of classiness that hangs around her.

In America, classiness will get you everywhere, and there’s no better demonstration of it than the teary-eyed adoration generated by every move Streep makes. She strikes me as about the worst possible spokesperson imaginable for the Left in an era of working-class rage, so naturally she’s embraced even more tightly by liberals doubling down on their delusional Clinton Democrat worship.

In the renewal of my Streep hatred, I’d say that the only upside to the American fixation on classiness over class is that, apparently, the end result is it’s bad for movie stars everywhere. That includes poor suffering Meryl Streep. May she have many sleepless nights in her golden bower somewhere far above us all!

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/01/mery ... en-globes/
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby norton ash » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:37 pm

^^^ To the best of my knowledge, Ms. Streep has much to be proud of, and little to be ashamed of, other than supporting the Hillary machine. And if she uses her public podium to SHAME a hateful rapist, racist, rich pig piece of shit... while appealing to gentleness and human decency in an ugly time, however elitist it might be to rise above the standard shit-flinging... then I guess I'm solidly with Meryl on this one.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 pm

It was a truly nauseating performance, and I use both the verb and the noun advisedly. Most vomit-inducing of all was to hear La Streep praised for her courage.

So, thank you, Eileen Jones. Not only was your article both funny and true, it really did take some guts to write it, and to publish it in times like these.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby norton ash » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:16 pm

Right, pull out Hillary yet again, and match your own bile to that of an itty-bitter little writer... she's not brave, she's courting plenty of praise from equally nasty zero-sum-game players.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby minime » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:25 pm

MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:33 am wrote:Thank you, Eileen Jones, for this timely public service announcement.

Against Meryl Streep

Meryl Streep’s speechifying at the Golden Globes was the worst thing to happen since Trump’s election.

by Eileen Jones

That I should live to see the day when Meryl Streep’s speechifying at a Hollywood awards show is admired as solemnly and discussed as fervently as Lincoln’s second inaugural address is a personal nightmare. Lectured by Streep! And about how her and all her Hollywood pals, decked out in everything that costs the earth and sparkles in the spotlight, are among the true victims of Donald Trump’s American authoritarianism!

In Streep’s view, it seems, cultural war has been declared on Hollywood’s liberal elite, which is “full of foreigners,” she notes, and therefore doubly vulnerable.

Yes, Trump is bad for movie stars everywhere, and Streep is truly “heartbroken” by this. Therefore, she brought to the Golden Globes all the fiery rhetoric she used to play Margaret Thatcher in a recent admiring biopic, and to stump for Hillary Clinton on behalf of a cheering faux-feminist “pantsuit nation.”

I may have to take today off work, just to recover from this latest onslaught of Streepian solipsism embraced by the world as the height of Hollywood ethics, which is just the best ethics of all. The way she condemned the “performance” of Donald Trump when he mocked disabled New York Times reporter Serge Kovaleski, as if Trump were up for a rival Golden Globes Award and had disgraced the Screen Actors Guild, was truly righteous, wasn’t it? She’s so classy, isn’t she?

And classy is the word for it, all right. Ever since the 1980s, Streep has been Hollywood’s imperious snob-appeaser, paraded around as a rebuttal to all those who claim the American film industry generates nothing but lowbrow entertainment for the masses. Just look at all those high-toned roles, and the rave reviews of besotted critics, and the shelves upon shelves of Academy Awards!

If it must be admitted that Hollywood can only hire the classiest performers, the titled ones from England, like Dame Judy Dench and Sir Ian McKellen, nevertheless Americans can always point with pride to Meryl Streep, our very own homegrown acting royalty with as snooty an accent as any of them!

If I seem bitter, it’s because I was raised on this Streep, and she has haunted my life with her high-and-mighty blonde heft and Yale Drama School ways. As an undergraduate, I was one of only two people in America who hated her, hated her with a passion. The other one was my best friend Sue, and we were united in our loathing. Sue, who studied acting at a mere state school, did a wonderful impression of early Streep performances, full of distractingly big “acting choices” that could be seen from space. We called Streep “the world’s most famous acting student.”

For we were angry working-class girls, see, and Streep’s privilege seemed to roll off her in waves. Technically, Streep comes from the middle class, but by the time she appeared in films, any regular Jersey Girl crudities had been planed away, and she was all golden hauteur. The tilt of her jaw, the lift of her nose like something out of an old portrait representing aristocratic Anglo-German inbreeding, the toss of that shiny blonde mane, overawed everyone.

Even we had to admit, eventually, that Streep was a good actor, if only to keep our citizenship. But I’ve never been entirely sure if she really is, or if we’re all just cowed by the intoxicating aura of classiness that hangs around her.

In America, classiness will get you everywhere, and there’s no better demonstration of it than the teary-eyed adoration generated by every move Streep makes. She strikes me as about the worst possible spokesperson imaginable for the Left in an era of working-class rage, so naturally she’s embraced even more tightly by liberals doubling down on their delusional Clinton Democrat worship.

In the renewal of my Streep hatred, I’d say that the only upside to the American fixation on classiness over class is that, apparently, the end result is it’s bad for movie stars everywhere. That includes poor suffering Meryl Streep. May she have many sleepless nights in her golden bower somewhere far above us all!

And she even drops lines from Hail Caesar! What's not to like?
minime

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:33 pm

norton ash wrote:Right, pull out Hillary yet again, and match your own bile to that of an itty-bitter little writer... she's not brave, she's courting plenty of praise from equally nasty zero-sum-game players.

"nasty"... "bile" .. - This directed against Evil Eileen Jones for daring to laugh at Saint Meryl the Liberal and at evil me for daring to mention the unmentionable-by-Meryl, i.e. the torture, rape and murder of a foreign head of state and the ruination of his country by Saint Barack and Saint Hillary.

norton ash wrote:Right, pull out Hillary yet again

What are you talking about?

America is deranged, and a large part of that derangement is TV-induced

Eileen Jones wrote:Even we had to admit, eventually, that Streep was a good actor, if only to keep our citizenship.

Is there an Oscar for Best Golden Globes Award Acceptance Speech? There should be. Tears on command... not every actor can do that , y'know. And there's no denying that Meryl's Choice at what to weep at so telegenically this week is instructive. It won't harm her career, that's for sure.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby norton ash » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Well, I guess we're all just a little deranged, aren't we? Like hating the awful evil libruls so much that you can see nothing but hypocrisy in an actress's public criticism of another eminent evil. Zero sum. I hate the Dem machine, but I like what Streep did.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby brekin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:00 pm

MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:33 am wrote:Thank you, Eileen Jones, for this timely public service announcement.

Against Meryl Streep

by Eileen Jones

Even we had to admit, eventually, that Streep was a good actor, if only to keep our citizenship. But I’ve never been entirely sure if she really is, or if we’re all just cowed by the intoxicating aura of classiness that hangs around her.In America, classiness will get you everywhere, and there’s no better demonstration of it than the teary-eyed adoration generated by every move Streep makes. She strikes me as about the worst possible spokesperson imaginable for the Left in an era of working-class rage, so naturally she’s embraced even more tightly by liberals doubling down on their delusional Clinton Democrat worship.

The mainstreaming of hate continues. How dare anyone criticize the emperor. That this was even written is embarrassing. That it was published is surprising. That it is being redistributed is just sad. The writer of this mean girls screed mentions but rolls right over Trump's ridiculing the reporter with the disability as she goes on to froth and list Streeps crimes, which most non-envious and non shallow people would see as assets. This was a lesson in class? We have passed through to other side. This more than anything shows Trump's rhetoric (of bullying, shaming, denigrating, blaming, disrespecting, immature, extremist, whiny and personal) is what unites many of his followers beyond anything else. If you can't be good, then bring down those who can. A master class in how to soil an American quilt.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:22 pm

brekin wrote:The mainstreaming of hate continues.

LOL. If Eileen Jones is offending brekin, it's a sure sign that she's doing something very right. How dare she have brains, taste, and an unenfeebled sense of humour.

brekin wrote:How dare anyone criticize the emperor.

How indeed. The current emperor, in case you missed the last eight years, is Saint Barack Obama. He has no clothes on. And of course you are right that Saint Meryl would never dare to criticize Saint Barack and indeed has never done so. Because that really would have been a career-endangering move.

Meryl's Choice for the next Imperial Overlordperson, in case you missed that too, was Saint Hillary, the secretary of state who helped Obama rape & murder both Ghaddafi & Libya and then cackled about it during an interview on national teevee.

You could call that the mainstreeaming of hate, were you a) so inclined and b) braver than Saint Meryl herself, rather than just an apologist for imperialist atrocities whenever they're committed by Liberal Emperors you are professionally obliged (or merely temperamentally inclined) to adore.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby brekin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:53 pm

MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:22 pm wrote:

LOL. If Eileen Jones is offending brekin, it's a sure sign that she's doing something very right.

How indeed. The current emperor, in case you missed the last eight years, is called Barack Obama. And of course you are right that Saint Meryl would never dare to criticize Saint Barack and indeed has never done so. Because that really would be a career-endangering move.
Meryl's Choice for the next Imperial Overlordperson, in case you missed that too, was Saint Hillary, the secretary of state who helped Obama rape & murder both Ghaddafi & Libya and then cackled about it during an interview on national teevee.
You could call that the mainstreeaming of hate, were you a) so inclined and b) braver than Saint Meryl herself, rather than just an apologist for Imperialist atrocities whenever they're committed by Liberal Emperors you are professionally obliged (or merely temperamentally inclined) to adore.

Mac you don't get it. What was done to Ghaddafi was horrible and Clinton/Obama are responsible (mostly or large part). But I'd rather not see that scene replay on every other street corner in America and where the US has a presence. Cheering on Trump, his ilk and ideology will not only bring on more of the same but make the dirty deeds down dirt cheap universal and common. If you could get past your "But nobody complained when X did Y!" you'd see that is moot and this board always saw Clinton as the lesser of two evils, not some benign at all force of good in the universe. Maligning Streep in a cheap, shrill, and just plain gross way just encourages the culture of hate. I mean Kanye came out for Trump and I don't want to read bitter-jealous screeds by his haters either. I know all of this is just entertainment to you from your bunker in Lichtenstein but I'd rather not read high school fan hate mail as political commentary.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 pm

brekin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:53 pm wrote:
MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:22 pm wrote:

LOL. If Eileen Jones is offending brekin, it's a sure sign that she's doing something very right.

How indeed. The current emperor, in case you missed the last eight years, is called Barack Obama. And of course you are right that Saint Meryl would never dare to criticize Saint Barack and indeed has never done so. Because that really would be a career-endangering move.
You could call that the mainstreeaming of hate, were you a) so inclined and b) braver than Saint Meryl herself, rather than just an apologist for Imperialist atrocities whenever they're committed by Liberal Emperors you are professionally obliged (or merely temperamentally inclined) to adore.

Mac you don't get it. What was done to Ghaddafi was horrible and Clinton/Obama are responsible (mostly or large part). But I'd rather not see that scene replay on every other street corner in America and where they have a presence. Cheering on Trump, his ilk and ideology will not only bring on more of the same but make the dirty deeds down dirt cheap universal and common. If you could get past your "But nobody complained when X did Y!" you'd see that is moot and this board always saw Clinton as the lesser of two evils, not some benign at all force of good in the universe. Maligning Streep in a cheap, shrill, and just plain gross way just encourages the culture of hate. I mean Kanye came out for Trump and I don't want to read bitter-jealous screeds by his haters either. I know all of this is just entertainment to you from your bunker in Lichtenstein but I'd rather not read high school fan hate mail as political commentary.

Cheering on Trump, his ilk and ideology

I am not doing that, and how dare you insinuate that I am. Learn to read.

Maligning Streep in a cheap, shrill, and just plain gross way just encourages the culture of hate

Eileen Jones did not do that. She is a writer who cares what words mean and knows how to use them. Her words were neither cheap nor shrill nor gross. She merely had the guts and the good taste to mock the cheapness, shrillness and grossness of La Streep's performance at the dependably cheap, shrill and gross Golden Globes Awards.

"Culture of hate", by contrast, really is a cheap, shrill and gross use of words. It is complete and utter bullshit -- the sheerest mediababble -- unless and until you apply it to the actual crimes of actual empire (which it just offends you to hear mentioned).

just entertainment to you

No no. You are the fanboy who goes out of his way to defend a self-regarding and nauseatingly manipulative performance by a multimillionaire Hollywood Diva from the entirely justified mockery of an obscure film journalist.

your bunker in Lichtenstein

Do you realise how very revealing this is? Fnar, fnar, Yeerup -- cheese-eating furriners, essentially all the same, and in any case negligible. But your Emperor is our Emperor too, brekin, and he's destroyed a bunch of countries without a peep from you or Saint Meryl, and he's just sent in another bunch of troops and tanks to surround and threaten Russia before the long-planned war to save US capitalism and the US Empire.

^^Imagine Trump had stooped to that. Imagine Trump had made a reference that slimy to his own young daughters. Imagine Trump had made a joke that crass about murdering their admirers with billion-dollar hi-tech weapons of war. We would never hear the end of it.

The Emperor Saint Barry actually does it, and it's in poor taste to even notice that he did.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion