The Liberals Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Liberals Thread

Postby brekin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:38 pm

MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:11 pm wrote:
brekin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:53 pm wrote:
MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:22 pm wrote:
brekin wrote:The mainstreaming of hate continues.

LOL. If Eileen Jones is offending brekin, it's a sure sign that she's doing something very right.
brekin wrote:How dare anyone criticize the emperor.

How indeed. The current emperor, in case you missed the last eight years, is called Barack Obama. And of course you are right that Saint Meryl would never dare to criticize Saint Barack and indeed has never done so. Because that really would be a career-endangering move.
Meryl's Choice for the next Imperial Overlordperson, in case you missed that too, was Saint Hillary, the secretary of state who helped Obama rape & murder both Ghaddafi & Libya and then cackled about it during an interview on national teevee.
You could call that the mainstreeaming of hate, were you a) so inclined and b) braver than Saint Meryl herself, rather than just an apologist for Imperialist atrocities whenever they're committed by Liberal Emperors you are professionally obliged (or merely temperamentally inclined) to adore.

Mac you don't get it. What was done to Ghaddafi was horrible and Clinton/Obama are responsible (mostly or large part). But I'd rather not see that scene replay on every other street corner in America and where they have a presence. Cheering on Trump, his ilk and ideology will not only bring on more of the same but make the dirty deeds down dirt cheap universal and common. If you could get past your "But nobody complained when X did Y!" you'd see that is moot and this board always saw Clinton as the lesser of two evils, not some benign at all force of good in the universe. Maligning Streep in a cheap, shrill, and just plain gross way just encourages the culture of hate. I mean Kanye came out for Trump and I don't want to read bitter-jealous screeds by his haters either. I know all of this is just entertainment to you from your bunker in Lichtenstein but I'd rather not read high school fan hate mail as political commentary.

Cheering on Trump, his ilk and ideology

I am not doing that, and how dare you insinuate that I am. Learn to read.

Maligning Streep in a cheap, shrill, and just plain gross way just encourages the culture of hate

Eileen Jones did not do that. She merely had the temerity to mock the cheapness, shrillness and grossness of La Streep's performance at the dependably cheap, shrill and gross Golden Globes Awards. "Culture of hate" is complete and utter bullshit, the sheerest mediababble, unless and until you apply it to the actual crimes of actual empire (which it just offends you to hear mentioned).

Mac??? Jones piece only exists for two reasons 1. Someone famous criticized Trump 2. Jones hates that famous person, Streep (because she was a better actor than her and wasn't friends with her it appears). You think this is the calling out of the Empire? It's like a script page of Glee, there's no redeeming feature but cheap character assassination to titillate those who already have a hard on to smear "Hollywood liberals". I can't stand George Clooney, Matt Damon, Gwenyth Paltrow, etc. But I can't stand Perez Hilton type personal bitchy sniping more. Politically motivated personal bitchy sniping I can't stand most of all. How can you stand behind this (and say it doesn't serve much purpose other than to denigrate Streep because it is politically expedient to do so right now?):

If I seem bitter, it’s because I was raised on this Streep, and she has haunted my life with her high-and-mighty blonde heft and Yale Drama School ways. As an undergraduate, I was one of only two people in America who hated her, hated her with a passion. The other one was my best friend Sue, and we were united in our loathing. Sue, who studied acting at a mere state school, did a wonderful impression of early Streep performances, full of distractingly big “acting choices” that could be seen from space. We called Streep “the world’s most famous acting student.”

For we were angry working-class girls, see, and Streep’s privilege seemed to roll off her in waves. Technically, Streep comes from the middle class, but by the time she appeared in films, any regular Jersey Girl crudities had been planed away, and she was all golden hauteur. The tilt of her jaw, the lift of her nose like something out of an old portrait representing aristocratic Anglo-German inbreeding, the toss of that shiny blonde mane, overawed everyone.

Even we had to admit, eventually, that Streep was a good actor, if only to keep our citizenship. But I’ve never been entirely sure if she really is, or if we’re all just cowed by the intoxicating aura of classiness that hangs around her.In America, classiness will get you everywhere, and there’s no better demonstration of it than the teary-eyed adoration generated by every move Streep makes. She strikes me as about the worst possible spokesperson imaginable for the Left in an era of working-class rage, so naturally she’s embraced even more tightly by liberals doubling down on their delusional Clinton Democrat worship.
In the renewal of my Streep hatred, I’d say that the only upside to the American fixation on classiness over class is that, apparently, the end result is it’s bad for movie stars everywhere. That includes poor suffering Meryl Streep. May she have many sleepless nights in her golden bower somewhere far above us all!

just entertainment to you

No no. You are the fanboy who goes out of his way to defend a nauseatingly manipulative multimillionaire Hollywood Diva from the entirely justified mockery of an obscure film journalist.

I'm hardly defending Streep. I'm talking about how the piece itself is just a cheap, hate-filled, politically generated piece of crap. You are the one championing "an obscure film journalist" who has floated up to the top momentarily by attacking someone who respectfully, creatively, in an authentic manner expressed and taking a risk expressed her opinion in front of millions.

your bunker in Lichtenstein

Do you realise how very revealing this is? Fnar, fnar, Yeerup -- cheese-eating furriners, and essentially all the same, and in any case negligible. But your Emperor is our Emperor too, brekin, and he's destroyed a bunch of countries without a peep from you or Saint Meryl, and he's just sent in another bunch of troops and tanks to surround and threaten Russia before the long-planned war to save US capitalism and the US Empire.

And soon my new emperor will be your new emperor and you'll wish there were more Saint Meryls challenging him.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:10 pm

^^Would you mind a) formatting that properly, and b) indicating through ellipses where you've left something out, e.g. The Emperor Saint Barry's Gross Predator Drone Joke. Thx. Or else just delete it, because it's another rushed, rambling, incoherent waste of time & space.

It contradicts itself blithely too, and it's bizarrely ungrammatical:

brekin wrote:I'm hardly defending Streep. I'm talking about how the piece itself is just a cheap, hate-filled, politically generated piece of crap. You are the one championing "an obscure film journalist" who has floated up to the top momentarily by attacking someone who respectfully, creatively, in an authentic manner expressed and taking a risk expressed her opinion in front of millions.

Shurely shome mishtake?

Just one point: "Creative" is the weasel word to top all weasel words (including even "authentic") and therefore beloved of hacks and toadies (and especially admen) everywhere. Lazy journos just bung it in there whenever they're short of an adjective. But presumably I'm contributing to that notorious "culture of hate" by pointing this out, so mea culpa, and I will try to become as saintly a person as Meryl and as wise a user of words as you. For are we not all capable of Choice?

But I'm not going to bother replying to this awe-struck star-struck starry-eyed hogwash anymore. It speaks for itself, haltingly.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elvis » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:15 pm

MacCruiskeen wrote: the torture, rape and murder of a foreign head of state and the ruination of his country

Well, sure, but, you know, it's not like they interfered with the elections.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby brekin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:00 am

MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:10 pm wrote:^^Would you mind a) formatting that properly, and b) indicating through ellipses where you've left something out, e.g. The Emperor Saint Barry's Gross Predator Drone Joke. Thx. Or else just delete it, because it's another rushed, rambling, incoherent waste of time & space.

It contradicts itself blithely too, and it's bizarrely ungrammatical:

brekin wrote:I'm hardly defending Streep. I'm talking about how the piece itself is just a cheap, hate-filled, politically generated piece of crap. You are the one championing "an obscure film journalist" who has floated up to the top momentarily by attacking someone who respectfully, creatively, in an authentic manner expressed and taking a risk expressed her opinion in front of millions.

Shurely shome mishtake?

Just one point: "Creative" is the weasel word to top all weasel words (including even "authentic") and therefore beloved of hacks and toadies (and especially admen) everywhere. Lazy journos just bung it in there whenever they're short of an adjective. But presumably I'm contributing to that notorious "culture of hate" by pointing this out, so mea culpa, and I will try to become as saintly a person as Meryl and as wise a user of words as you. For are we not all capable of Choice?

But I'm not going to bother replying to this awe-struck star-struck starry-eyed hogwash anymore. It speaks for itself, haltingly.

Mac, it's sad. You can't argue on the merit of what I write so you have to re-jigger to fit your prefabricated arguments. And you are pulling all the begging off ploys of someone who doesn't even stand behind their prefabs. Grammar spotting (the last refuge of cranks), sorry, can't be bothered (how many forums do you have to stalk today?) word trivia (yes, lets get your opinion on adjectives instead of the argument because you can't be bothered?). No matter. You can be syntactical on point and still be incredibly dense and misguided. Which if you are holding up that piece as muckraking against the Empire I think speaks for itself. Meryl Streep, hell, Vince Vaughn would be a better president than Trump. Liberal Hollywood is naive even misguided? Everyone knows that. Making that speech at the Golden Globes isn't even the story. It's that Trump, the hate-filled narcissist, responded as he normally does, nastily.

And man, you have been contributing (and prolifically so) to the culture of hate long before this. Do you ever peruse your old posts? Do you think your countless personal attacks and insults against members is helping to bring down the system? Is it showing a new way to a fairer, more tolerant society? Or is it just someone responding as he normally does, nastily.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:02 pm

From Jan 9, here's some more of that Culture of Hate™ evilness and grossness. (Trigger Warning: He criticises poor Meryl Streep.)

AnOmaly: Meryl Streep wants to get political? I'm game.

It's already had seven million views at his FB account.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:47 pm

MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:33 pm wrote:Thank you, Eileen Jones, for this timely public service announcement.

Against Meryl Streep

Meryl Streep’s speechifying at the Golden Globes was the worst thing to happen since Trump’s election.

by Eileen Jones

Meryl Streep at the 1989 Academy Awards. Alan Light / Flickr

That I should live to see the day when Meryl Streep’s speechifying at a Hollywood awards show is admired as solemnly and discussed as fervently as Lincoln’s second inaugural address is a personal nightmare. Lectured by Streep! And about how her and all her Hollywood pals, decked out in everything that costs the earth and sparkles in the spotlight, are among the true victims of Donald Trump’s American authoritarianism!

In Streep’s view, it seems, cultural war has been declared on Hollywood’s liberal elite, which is “full of foreigners,” she notes, and therefore doubly vulnerable.

Yes, Trump is bad for movie stars everywhere, and Streep is truly “heartbroken” by this. Therefore, she brought to the Golden Globes all the fiery rhetoric she used to play Margaret Thatcher in a recent admiring biopic, and to stump for Hillary Clinton on behalf of a cheering faux-feminist “pantsuit nation.”

I may have to take today off work, just to recover from this latest onslaught of Streepian solipsism embraced by the world as the height of Hollywood ethics, which is just the best ethics of all. The way she condemned the “performance” of Donald Trump when he mocked disabled New York Times reporter Serge Kovaleski, as if Trump were up for a rival Golden Globes Award and had disgraced the Screen Actors Guild, was truly righteous, wasn’t it? She’s so classy, isn’t she?

And classy is the word for it, all right. Ever since the 1980s, Streep has been Hollywood’s imperious snob-appeaser, paraded around as a rebuttal to all those who claim the American film industry generates nothing but lowbrow entertainment for the masses. Just look at all those high-toned roles, and the rave reviews of besotted critics, and the shelves upon shelves of Academy Awards!

If it must be admitted that Hollywood can only hire the classiest performers, the titled ones from England, like Dame Judy Dench and Sir Ian McKellen, nevertheless Americans can always point with pride to Meryl Streep, our very own homegrown acting royalty with as snooty an accent as any of them!

If I seem bitter, it’s because I was raised on this Streep, and she has haunted my life with her high-and-mighty blonde heft and Yale Drama School ways. As an undergraduate, I was one of only two people in America who hated her, hated her with a passion. The other one was my best friend Sue, and we were united in our loathing. Sue, who studied acting at a mere state school, did a wonderful impression of early Streep performances, full of distractingly big “acting choices” that could be seen from space. We called Streep “the world’s most famous acting student.”

For we were angry working-class girls, see, and Streep’s privilege seemed to roll off her in waves. Technically, Streep comes from the middle class, but by the time she appeared in films, any regular Jersey Girl crudities had been planed away, and she was all golden hauteur. The tilt of her jaw, the lift of her nose like something out of an old portrait representing aristocratic Anglo-German inbreeding, the toss of that shiny blonde mane, overawed everyone.

Even we had to admit, eventually, that Streep was a good actor, if only to keep our citizenship. But I’ve never been entirely sure if she really is, or if we’re all just cowed by the intoxicating aura of classiness that hangs around her.

In America, classiness will get you everywhere, and there’s no better demonstration of it than the teary-eyed adoration generated by every move Streep makes. She strikes me as about the worst possible spokesperson imaginable for the Left in an era of working-class rage, so naturally she’s embraced even more tightly by liberals doubling down on their delusional Clinton Democrat worship.

In the renewal of my Streep hatred, I’d say that the only upside to the American fixation on classiness over class is that, apparently, the end result is it’s bad for movie stars everywhere. That includes poor suffering Meryl Streep. May she have many sleepless nights in her golden bower somewhere far above us all!

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/01/mery ... en-globes/

But did Meryl have pants on? Were they black or white?
Iamwhomiam

Postby Sounder » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:03 pm

brekin wrote....
Maligning Streep in a cheap, shrill, and just plain gross way just encourages the culture of hate

Mac wrote...
Eileen Jones did not do that. She is a writer who cares what words mean and knows how to use them. Her words were neither cheap nor shrill nor gross. She merely had the guts and the good taste to mock the cheapness, shrillness and grossness of La Streep's performance at the dependably cheap, shrill and gross Golden Globes Awards.

"Culture of hate", by contrast, really is a cheap, shrill and gross use of words. It is complete and utter bullshit -- the sheerest mediababble -- unless and until you apply it to the actual crimes of actual empire (which it just offends you to hear mentioned).

Not to mention, a bit ironic given the MSM current campaign of hate breeding. It seems a lot like "fake news' where the best defense is thought to be a better offense.

Thanks for that vid Mac.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby km artlu » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:58 pm

Risk, Brekin?
What did she risk when preaching to the choir?
km artlu

Postby brekin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Sounder wrote:
brekin wrote....

Mac wrote...
Eileen Jones did not do that. She is a writer who cares what words mean and knows how to use them. Her words were neither cheap nor shrill nor gross. She merely had the guts and the good taste to mock the cheapness, shrillness and grossness of La Streep's performance at the dependably cheap, shrill and gross Golden Globes Awards.
"Culture of hate", by contrast, really is a cheap, shrill and gross use of words. It is complete and utter bullshit -- the sheerest mediababble -- unless and until you apply it to the actual crimes of actual empire (which it just offends you to hear mentioned).

Not to mention, a bit ironic given the MSM current campaign of hate breeding. It seems a lot like "fake news' where the best defense is thought to be a better offense.
Thanks for that vid Mac.

brekin wrote....

Mac wrote...
Eileen Jones did not do that. She is a writer who cares what words mean and knows how to use them. Her words were neither cheap nor shrill nor gross.

Sounder you don't believe the below is cheap nor shrill nor gross? But instead that the writer cares what words mean and knows how to use them?
Words like bitter, hated, loathing, angry, privilege, inbreeding, good, rage, delusional, hatred, delusional, worship, worst, etc.

Even we had to admit, eventually, that Streep was a good actor, if only to keep our citizenship. But I’ve never been entirely sure if she really is, or if we’re all just cowed by the intoxicating aura of classiness that hangs around her.In America, classiness will get you everywhere, and there’s no better demonstration of it than the teary-eyed adoration generated by every move Streep makes. She strikes me as about the worst possible spokesperson imaginable for the Left in an era of working-class rage, so naturally she’s embraced even more tightly by liberals doubling down on their delusional Clinton Democrat worship.
brekin

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:03 pm

^^
Jack Handey wrote: I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Meanwhile, back at the farce:

... Democratic suspicion of the CIA persisted into the run-up to the Iraq War and particularly its aftermath, when Republicans gave the agency relatively high marks even as Democrats railed against its harsh interrogation practices, domestic wiretapping and intelligence failures. In 2006, Republicans' net positive views of the CIA were a whopping 70 points higher than those of Democrats.

After the successful operation to kill 9/11 mastermind Osama bin Laden in 2011, views of the CIA soared among both parties, offering a rare moment of partisan agreement about the merits of the organization. ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-r ... ly-n703206

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Sounder » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:27 pm

brekin wrote...
Sounder you don't believe the below is cheap nor shrill nor gross?

I will concede that it is open to interpretation. From my perspective Meryl has always been an over actor and so I like hearing that from someone in the biz.

You think Meryl is a fine actor and human being so you find Eileen's piece to be cheap,shrill, and gross, while I think that people that want to live in bubbles should stay in their bubbles and shut up.

Or yes, the bubble deserves to be popped.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby brekin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Sounder » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:27 pm wrote:brekin wrote...
Sounder you don't believe the below is cheap nor shrill nor gross?

I will concede that it is open to interpretation. From my perspective Meryl has always been an over actor and so I like hearing that from someone in the biz.
You think Meryl is a fine actor and human being so you find Eileen's piece to be cheap,shrill, and gross, while I think that people that want to live in bubbles should stay in their bubbles and shut up.
Or yes, the bubble deserves to be popped.

??? Has this place become a high school? Because you think she's been an over actor you like hearing a mean girl screed character assassination piece because she talked out of turn politically?
You don't think Meryl is a fine actor or human being? Huh?
Compared to who? Demi Moore? Julia Roberts?
Not a fine human being?
Compared to who?
Ghandi or the BTK killer?

Christ I don't think I've even seen anything with her in it since the Deer Hunter and honestly get her confused with Glenn Close but this "I don't want your opinion because your like famous and good at what you do, and stuff. So like shut up and make a movie so I can pay to see you express opinions by other rich famous people." is just asinine.
We all live in bubbles, some are just bigger than others.
And some are...

Funny about all this bubble talk and celebrities expressing their political opinions, mmh I wonder where I heard of this before? Could this all just be part of a not very well orchestrated drift to hide the fact that Hollywood continues to put out neocon politically themed films and shows, but there is a growing movement to silence the liberal voices in Hollywood? Exhibit A, is another bro-scholar, Mark Wahlberg, "who thinks celebrities who live in bubbles shouldn't talk politics". Geez, this is they guy whose entire oeuvre is basically neocon training films. But isn't it funny how quickly people, even RI'ers, adopt this goon talk?

brekin

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:57 pm

I think you nailed it, brekin; "mean girl screed."

I posted Streep's speech so we all could hear her words ad there could be no misunderstanding. She began by lumping in Hollywood actors like herself with those loathed by the working class. She is just as entitled to an opinion as anyone and I appreciated hearing her speak. She didn't exaggerate, she just shared her truthful feelings, much as we do here.
Iamwhomiam

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:07 am

Damn, another 'mean girl screed' by another uppity woman. Is there is no end to this Culture of Hate™?

January 13, 2017
The Streep

by Missy Comley Beattie

I’ve been lulling myself to sleep lately with this Sufiism:

Before you speak, let your words pass through three gates.

At the first gate, ask, ‘is it true?’

At the second, ask, ‘Is it necessary?’

At the third gate, ask, ‘Is it kind?’

Think I’ll tinker with Sufi’s wisdom though, just this once. After all, I’m writing, not speaking. Can I slide my words only through the first two gates and slip around the third? Yes—to unleash unkindness towards Meryl Streep.

First, I didn’t watch the Golden Globes. I was computing and Streep’s performance, while accepting her Lifetime Achievement award, was saturating cyber. Several sites contained links to her entire sermon. Essentially, the actor was voting again, slickly (without using names) recasting for Hillary Clinton as she took a swing at president-elect Donald Trump. The actor said, “When the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose.” Then she called on the press to “hold power to account, to call him on the carpet for every outrage.” What breathtaking hypocrisy and blind eyes and deaf ears for eight years during Obama’s drone campaign, his bombing seven countries, the dead, the wounded, a refugee crisis, a regime-change foreign policy as well as domestic disorder, the ever-widening gap between the uber-filthy wealthy and the poor, police militarization, that Black parents have to have “the talk” with their children about interactions with police. No outrage about any of this, Streep?

Of course not.

I’m reminded of Streep’s admiration for the neoliberal, union destroying, warmongering Margaret Thatcher whom she portrayed. Interviewed about the Thatcher film, Streep said, “I was aware of her very early on and, even though her policies were not popular, to say the least, in my circles, people were kind of thrilled that a woman had become leader.” Whoa. “Thrilled that a woman had become leader”, regardless of the particular woman’s ruthlessness.

Insert: Soon a climate change denier who spends idle time entering brat-like, I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I(?) Tweets will take the oath of office, but then his rise to power makes sense—Trump as slouching beast. I truly don’t know what’s worse, someone who denies the science of global warming or someone who believes the science, expresses concern, does next to nothing to nurture our ecosystem, and bolsters the fossil fuel industry. Someone who says “ban Muslims from entering the country” or someone who blows up Muslim countries, someone who says he’ll build a border wall or someone who installs chain-length fencing and vehicle barriers.

Back to Streep whose solipsism deems her worthy of, well, the assignation of an alternate meaning to her name. The streep neologism. Like the santorum.

Definition of the streep: a faux-feminist, a faux-liberal, a vagina voter, someone who’d knit/wear a pink pussyhat for an anti-Trump march and consider this revolutionary action.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/01/13/the-streep/

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion