The Rise of Bigot America Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Rise of Bigot America Thread

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:48 am

8bit, I don't know how could use any more meaningless and weighted terms in such a short sentence unless you threw in "conpiracy theorist" and "truther."

Don't let the word virus get you, easy as it is.

SJW aka social justice warrior, one who fights for social justice, has become an insult along the lines of do-gooder and tree-hugger. And virtue signaller, aka one who takes a virtuous stand, another insult.

I'm not even going to try to deconstruct leftist, hipster and alt right in the mix.

Truly our language has been perverted when social justice and virtue are associated with negative connotations.

Newspeak.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:42 am

Good call. If you use the language right wing arseholes invented you are giving their concepts a validity they don't deserve. Social justice is worth fighting for. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a cunt fucking with your head and using mind control.

Gentrification is a curse tho.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Searcher08 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:06 am

Joe Hillshoist » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:42 am wrote:Good call. If you use the language right wing arseholes invented you are giving their concepts a validity they don't deserve. Social justice is worth fighting for. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a cunt fucking with your head and using mind control.

Gentrification is a curse tho.

This was from 2011 from Urban Dictionary and it is absolutely spot on. Anyone who treats people like those described in this definition seriously is a fucking special snowflake.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=social%20justice%20warrior

social justice warrior
A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.

The SJW's favorite activity of all is to dogpile. Their favorite websites to frequent are Livejournal and Tumblr. They do not have relevant favorite real-world places, because SJWs are primarily civil rights activists only online.
#1:

A social justice warrior reads an essay about a form of internal misogyny where women and girls insult stereotypical feminine activities and characteristics in order to boost themselves over other women.

The SJW absorbs this and later complains in response to a Huffington Post article about a 10-year-old feminist's letter, because the 10-year-old called the color pink "prissy".

#2:
Commenter: "I don't like getting manicures. It's too prissy."

SJW: "Oh my god, how fucking dare you use that word, you disgusting sexist piece of shit!"

Gentrification reminds me of the effects of tourism - too much and it destroys what may have drawn people in the first place.

R.I.'s First Law of Gentrification
"What was once satire becomes artisinal"
Searcher08

Postby Blue » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:23 am

Thank you mentalgf2. And then in a post above we have reference from the final arbiter of truth, urban dictionary. That's like using wiki as your final arbiter of truth. Or any other single source. Oh, what the internet has done to the human mind.

People often have an ulterior motive for posting things like that. They peck, peck, peck away at little parts of so-called liberal behavior. Twisting intentions. Expanding individual behaviors to stereotype political leanings. Misplacing blame. Pretending like being a "liberal" or "progressive" or whatever term you want to use for the left is monolithic.

Signed,
An avowed tree-hugger hipster hillbilly

mentalgongfu2 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:48 am wrote:8bit, I don't know how could use any more meaningless and weighted terms in such a short sentence unless you threw in "conpiracy theorist" and "truther."

Don't let the word virus get you, easy as it is.

SJW aka social justice warrior, one who fights for social justice, has become an insult along the lines of do-gooder and tree-hugger. And virtue signaller, aka one who takes a virtuous stand, another insult.

I'm not even going to try to deconstruct leftist, hipster and alt right in the mix.

Truly our language has been perverted when social justice and virtue are associated with negative connotations.

Newspeak.
Blue

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:01 am

Joe Hillshoist

Postby semper occultus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:08 am

I keep glimpse-reading this thread title as the Rise of Bigfoot Amercia
semper occultus

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:14 am

Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:16 am

All those pictures are of actual social justice warriors.

If you want to allow your brain to be programmed by people who hate what they stood for then feel free to continue to use the term to refer to people who aren't them.

After all who needs thinking for ourselves?
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:37 am

Any gentrifier wouldn't be, by definition, a social justice warrior.

I watched that term arise, by young white bigoted men, used as a weapon against women on black twitter and black tumblr starting around 2011. I still think of social justice warriors as a cohort of mostly women of color.

When I hear that term I my mind actually flashes to a specific person, an African American lesbian, because she was the first I knew in real life to suffer racist attacks, racial epithets, and slurs preceded by the phrase "social justice warrior…".

I almost think of it as a stand-in for racial slurs, similar to "thug." Though "thug" is supposed to work for protestors, marchers, and other modes of direct action, "social justice warrior" works when the offender is simply a philosopher of color.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:01 pm

Searcher08 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:18 am wrote:That last line was uncalled for. So I'll just send a hug :hug1:

It was a joke. Sorry I hurt your feelings. Like I said, I'm having trouble figuring out when you're being serious and when you're goofing off. And as Richard Pryor said, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke and joke 'em if they can't take a fuck."

But I appreciate the :hug1:, so right back at ya.

Searcher08 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:18 am wrote:Do you have any comment on the Mother with her child

Not much beyond what slad pointed out. Context matters; Trump's campaign does not excuse anyone's behavior, but it does explain it. That said, while I'm certainly not a fan of Obama's immigration policy, whose deportation total rivaled the previous two administrations combined and left countless families broken, he never justified his actions by scapegoating an entire race of people and demonizing them as murderers and rapists. Trump did as a pretext for a deportation plan that would be 4.5 times larger than what Obama did. When you use racist tactics, you embolden racist supporters. Do you not see the difference? One is an indifferent, possibly cold autocrat and the other is an overheated borderline fascist. I think the fascist is more dangerous for society than the autocrat. Do you?

Searcher08 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:18 am wrote:I condemn any bigotry against any person.

Wonderful. But this thread is not about any bigotry. As I stated in the OP, the purpose of this thread is "documenting the rise of bigoted actions done in Trump's name by his followers." You seem more interested in discussing other potentially bigoted actions. If so, feel free to start a thread on segregated housing and I'll be sure to post a reply there. But on this thread, I prefer to focus on the subject I introduced.

Searcher08 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:18 am wrote:IMO Taking the SPLC at face value is crazy.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion. It wouldn't be the first time someone called me crazy, but then I'm not really taking the organization itself at face value, so I guess that characterization doesn't apply. Both Counterpunch and Harper's have fair points about their fundraising tactics and I think Morris Dees should be ashamed of himself for his hypocritical justification for their own lack of affirmative action hiring practices. But neither of those sources provided any proof that the statistics they compile are inflated, doctored or in any other way illegitimate. Even if some of the incidents of abuse by Trump supporters done in his name do turn out to be untrue, I certainly doubt this would reverse the larger trend.

Now the QZ article you link does address methodology to some degree. To quote directly, "the federal government does not have an apparatus in place to report trends in hate crimes as they occur." This tells me that, at a minimum, there is a temporary limitation in the amount of rigor we can apply toward reaching a scientific consensus. But use a little intuition as New York City police commissioner James O'Neill does in the same article:

“We’ve had an uptick in hate crimes—actually a little bit more than an uptick,” he said. “We’re up 31% from last year. We had at this time last year 250; this year we have 328. Specifically against the Muslim population in New York City, we went up from 12 to 25. And anti-Semitic is up, too, by 9% from 102 to 111.

“I have no scientific evidence as to why,” O’Neill added. “But you’ve been paying attention to what’s been going on in the country over the last year or so and the rhetoric has increased, and I think that might have something to do with it.

That last line is the kicker for me. IMO, to think what's going in New York City exists in a vacuum apart from the rest of the USA is metaphorically putting your head up your ass.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:37 pm

stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:01 pm wrote:One is an indifferent, possibly cold autocrat and the other is an overheated borderline fascist. I think the fascist is more dangerous for society than the autocrat. Do you?

You say either and I say either,
You say neither and I say neither
Either, either neither, neither
Let's call the whole thing off.
You like potato and I like potahto
You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto.
Let's call the whole thing off

Belligerent Savant

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:37 pm

Robert, thank you for initiating this thread. I would have used "emergence" rather than "Rise," because it's always been rising. 8bit offered the first response and this is my reaction after reading his first sentence,

"Gut churning...but sadly not a surprise. 8 years of a black president, gay rights happening relatively quick, the sometimes questionable SJW movement, women gaining more equality...
these idiots have been simmering for this moment. Gamergate and 4chan inversing Anon."

It should be a surprise. There should be no reaction to an 8-year Presidency held by a black man for being black, but for his policies. As we know, he's been despised and was utterly rejected by the right of his Congress once they assumed power to control both houses, which served no American well. But said much about the bigotry present in congress. To say that "gay rights is happening relatively quickly," or that "women are gaining more equality" are things that, to you, is justifiable cause for bigots to take center stage by taking control of American politics, is maddening.

Women are citizens striving for the equality guaranteed them by our Constitution, just as are LGBT community. No one has the right to obstruct another from exercising their constitutional rights.

In America, when will a black man be considered just another man?" A man.

It's those who are trying to shove their religious beliefs upon others that should be curtailed. We have a constitutional mandate not to interfere with religious beliefs, at least not legislatively, but religious people will always have their individual input exercised through their vote.

Next 8bit wrote,
There's been a lot of violence against Trump supporters too, which makes me think there is a hidden power that wants to see both sides go nuts.

Please provide some evidence of your claim, or please retract it as untruthful.

Regarding the SPLC, I feel it to be of great value regardless the fact it is lead by a rich black man. I'm well aware of Dee's history and the history of the SPLC. We hired a notable SPLC attorney to head our local Legal Aid Services for civil affairs and he remains one of the most productive individuals I've ever known. Dees also founded Habitat for Humanity.

Cockburn seems to have had a bug up his ass about Dees. Maybe Morris cancelled his luncheon date with Alex, who knows. It's an ancient article anyway.

Southern Law Poverty Center

Hatewatch
Hatewatch monitors and exposes the activities of the American radical right.

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

Lastly, 8bit wrote,
As I've been saying since forever, if there is a 'powers that be', they would hate for the white patriot/militia/oath people to link up with left activists(which in 2016 would be everything I guess from Native protestors, BLM,
environmental activists, etc)

If anything, the Bundy Bunch would be shooting protestors, a majority of whom are First Nation's people. It's nuts tho think sovereign citizens types would ally themselves with environmental advocates and conservators.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Iamwhomiam » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:37 pm wrote:
Next 8bit wrote,
There's been a lot of violence against Trump supporters too, which makes me think there is a hidden power that wants to see both sides go nuts.

Please provide some evidence of your claim, or please retract it as untruthful.

You must have missed my postings on page 1 of this thread:

Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:58 am wrote:.

There is also THIS as well that should be considered as part of the overall conversation on this topic:

(the first youtube link has since been removed from youtube, but there's another link of it here: http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/v ... OGa9jPwn7b)

Here's a few more for your analysis:

https://twitter.com/WillCarrFNC/status/ ... 84/video/1

http://abc7chicago.com/politics/man-wea ... n/1610000/

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/marylan ... /352788338

http://abc7news.com/news/peninsula-teen ... p/1599714/

http://cbs12.com/news/local/woman-attac ... in-jupiter

http://patch.com/massachusetts/boston/t ... utside-bar

Clearly, it is not a simple one-sided situation we're dealing with.
Belligerent Savant

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:18 pm

6 down 894 to go

yea it is one sided

give me 800 more examples and I'll call it even

of course Patch is gonna find one..that's what they do

OMG...a cut elbow....let me know when the police start killing white boys

The student was found with scraps on his knee and he told police he hit his head. The young man walked himself to an ambulance. Police said he went to a hospital to get checked out.

It's not clear who instigated the fight

scraps on the knee ..poor baby

white boys have always had it so very hard in this country :roll:
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Nordic » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:26 pm

It's my understanding that the "SJW" term itself was self-given by these internet bullies who are, indeed, sullying very words themselves.

It's a shame because, as Joe points out, a "social justice warrior" should be a good thing.

But that's how our society works. Right now I refuse to be labeled a "liberal" because our fucked-up society has decided that Democrats, who are currently quite fascist, are still "liberals". Hillary the "liberal".

:shock:

Fuck that shit.

I dont have a label any more. I have no idea what to call myself. (I know several of you would like to call me all kinds of names but that's not what I'm talking about)
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion