The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Postby Grizzly » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:19 pm

Don't Believe Impeachment: Both Parties Working Together Nicely to Renew Expiring Patriot Act
https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/dwsn0e/dont_believe_impeachment_both_parties_working/
The Impeachment is one of the biggest circuses I've ever seen.

Right now, both parties are fighting each other in public, while working together quite well behind the scenes to renew the expiring Patriot Act.

https://fcw.com/articles/2019/01/24/fisa-lieu-judiciary-update.aspx
The 2015 update, made in the wake of the Edward Snowden disclosures about the extent of U.S. capture of bulk communications data, curbed the collection by the National Security Agency of bulk metadata. That update is scheduled to sunset in December, and one tech-minded member on the House Judiciary committee told FCW he wants the new Democratic majority to take another look at potential reforms to the law.
Weird how this isn't news. The article above was written in January. Both parties have renewed parts of the act throughout the year, working together rather well.

Even the language here is ridiculous: "sunset", what is this a romance novel for the patriot act? No, its not going to sunset, it's going to expire, as in die, as it should.

But it won't. We'll watch a reality TV show about them fighting to impeach Trump, while they take care of the real business.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stickdog99 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:30 pm

stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:59 pm

I cannot help but view the entire impeachment proceedings as a chess match gambit intent on checkmating anyone's short-term ability to use current discontent of the American public to promote any systemic change that would dare erode the wealth and power of the current ruling class.

It is the Democratic party's self-immolation at its most obvious. The Democrats are down by four points with just a minute left on the clock, but they have the ball first and goal on the one foot line. And out comes their Charlie Brown and Lucy field goal unit.
stickdog99

Postby Cordelia » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:20 pm

It’s a pageant.

~Wag The Dog~

The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Grizzly » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:37 am

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby brainpanhandler » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:46 pm

How fucking awesome is it that this thread has sat idle since December 15th?

The following is getting enshrined in the Original RI Quotes thread:

stickdog99 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:59 pm wrote: The Democrats are down by four points with just a minute left on the clock, but they have the ball first and goal on the one foot line. And out comes their Charlie Brown and Lucy field goal unit.

I listened to a lot of it on the radio. I kept fantasizing about someone, anyone, going off script, at all, even a little bit. I mean you've got some live national air time. And if I have to hear "no one is above the law" one more fucking time I am going to break something.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:26 pm

Well, this is interesting. Mark Galli, the editor of Christianity Today, published a statement calling for the impeachment and removal of Trump.

Galli writes:

"But the facts in this instance are unambiguous: The president of the United States attempted to use his political power to coerce a foreign leader to harass and discredit one of the president’s political opponents. That is not only a violation of the Constitution; more importantly, it is profoundly immoral.

The reason many are not shocked about this is that this president has dumbed down the idea of morality in his administration. He has hired and fired a number of people who are now convicted criminals. He himself has admitted to immoral actions in business and his relationship with women, about which he remains proud. His Twitter feed alone—with its habitual string of mischaracterizations, lies, and slanders—is a near perfect example of a human being who is morally lost and confused.

Trump’s evangelical supporters have pointed to his Supreme Court nominees, his defense of religious liberty, and his stewardship of the economy, among other things, as achievements that justify their support of the president. We believe the impeachment hearings have made it absolutely clear, in a way the Mueller investigation did not, that President Trump has abused his authority for personal gain and betrayed his constitutional oath. The impeachment hearings have illuminated the president’s moral deficiencies for all to see. This damages the institution of the presidency, damages the reputation of our country, and damages both the spirit and the future of our people. None of the president’s positives can balance the moral and political danger we face under a leader of such grossly immoral character."

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/20 ... ffice.html

Wikipedia says of Christianity Today:

Christianity Today magazine is an evangelical Christian periodical that was founded in 1956 and is based in Carol Stream, Illinois. The Washington Post calls Christianity Today, "evangelicalism's flagship magazine";[2] The New York Times describes it as a "mainstream evangelical magazine".[3]

Christianity Today magazine has a print circulation of approximately 130,000, of which approximately 36,000 is free, and readership of 260,000,[1] as well as a website at ChristianityToday.com.[4] The founder, Billy Graham, stated that he wanted to "plant the evangelical flag in the middle-of-the-road, taking the conservative theological position but a definite liberal approach to social problems".[5] Graham started the magazine as counterpoint to The Christian Century, the predominant independent periodical of mainline Protestantism, and as a way to bring the evangelical Christian community together.[5][6]
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby FourthBase » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:47 pm

brainpanhandler » 19 Dec 2019 19:46 wrote:How fucking awesome is it that this thread has sat idle since December 15th?

The following is getting enshrined in the Original RI Quotes thread:

stickdog99 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:59 pm wrote: The Democrats are down by four points with just a minute left on the clock, but they have the ball first and goal on the one foot line. And out comes their Charlie Brown and Lucy field goal unit.

I listened to a lot of it on the radio. I kept fantasizing about someone, anyone, going off script, at all, even a little bit. I mean you've got some live national air time. And if I have to hear "no one is above the law" one more fucking time I am going to break something.

The radio silence was odd, no? As if Charlie actually kicked that field goal, and the crowd here had nothing to bemoan for a few days. Obviously, though, long term, the impeachment won't accomplish a thing. If anything, given the ferocious because-fuck-you-that's-why attitude of his reactionary base, it'll make his re-election more likely. Too bad the Democrats can't attack him on Epstein because half of that rifle's double barrel is aimed right back at themselves. That would be an interesting floor debate.

I'm assuming few if any here ever read such a right wing online rag as PJMedia, but a conservative FB friend posted an excerpt from a piece two years old now which has an interesting angle. Wondering what the RI take on it would be.

Trump knows that the press isn’t trusted very much, and that the less it’s trusted, the less it can hurt him. So he’s prodding reporters to do things that will make them less trusted, and they’re constantly taking the bait. They’re taking the bait because they think he’s dumb, and impulsive, and lacking self-control — but he’s the one causing them to act in ways that are dumb and impulsive, and demonstrate lack of self-control. As Richard Fernandez writes on Facebook, they think he’s dumb because they think he has lousy taste, but there are a lot of scarily competent guys out there in the world who like white and gold furniture. And, I should note, Trump has more media experience than probably 99% of the people covering him. (As Obama operative Ben Rhodes gloated with regard to selling a dishonest story on the Iran deal, the average reporter the Obama White House dealt with “is 27 years old, and their only reporting experience consists of being around political campaigns.” In Rhodes’ words, “they literally know nothing.”)

The counter-move for the press isn’t to double down on anti-Trump messaging. The counter-move is to bolster its own trustworthiness by acting more neutral and sober, and by being more trustworthy. If the news media actually focused on reporting facts accurately and straightforwardly, on leaving opinion to the pundits, and on giving Trump a clearly fair shake, then Trump’s tactics wouldn’t work, and any actual dirt they found on him would do actual damage. He’s betting on the press being insufficiently mature and self-controlled to manage that. So far, his bet is paying off.

That’s too bad. If we had a better press, we’d be much better off as a nation. But we don’t.

To me, that all rings true, mostly. The evil douchebag buffoon seems to know what he's doing in a certain regard. The opposition's tactics haven't worked yet, clearly, and still aren't working, so far. They keep backfiring. Is this why?
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Previous

Return to General Discussion