Who Was Seth Rich?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Who Was Seth Rich?

Postby Harvey » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:47 am

This report from August seems to suggest the "Silver Gun" man or gang may have been caught and is not in the frame for the shooting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...story.html

Street robberies were a problem for weeks before Rich was shot, and police had set up a task force and sent extra officers to patrol the neighborhood.

Last week, police arrested a man linked to 14 armed robberies in Northwest and Northeast Washington, and one of them occurred on Flagler Place, one block from where Rich was shot. Police also recently arrested a man in the only armed robbery that has occurred in Bloomingdale since the fatal shooting.

Lanier would not say whether either of those men could be linked to Rich’s killing. “We have more questions than answers,” Lanier said of the investigation. She said robbery as a motive remains a strong possibility, but she said it’s not definitive...

I note that in the video above the first responders indicate that Rich was able able to talk at that time and seemed not to know he'd been shot, suggesting he had been shot without warning. Possibly making it less likely to be linked to the recent robberies prior to the shooting.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:06 pm

I wonder if the Mail reporter asked the bartender what he put in Rich's beer.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elvis » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:41 pm

Here's a comment on an August 2016 Seth Rich story in the OffGuardian, raising good a question and making a good point:

Marina Boyd
August 12, 2016

Maybe wikileaks doesn’t know who their source was. The DNC authenticated the e-mails by their response, then they float the “Russia influencing US elections narritive” to distract from Seth’s murder. Has there be ANY evidence that Russia was behind the hack? Where did that rumer start?? WikiLeaks has a vested interest in Seth’s murder being solved because they don’t want people being afraid to give them information, so I understand them offering a reward, even if he wasn’t their source, once the rumors started, they wouldn’t want to scare off the real source, or futur sources.

Hm, yes, so where exactly did "the Russians did it" message start? And her point about WL's reward offer is valid. Another commenter noted that Assange, when asked if Rich was the leaker, "nodded his head" a little bit as he said, "we don't comment on our sources..." (see the interview video in the 2nd post on page 1; it's also at the OG link below).

The brief article itself covers a few basic "Facts so far," so I won't paste it, except for this brief interpretive bit:

I’m not going to take a position on the motive for Mr Rich’s killing, or possible suspects. But I do want to point out the general level of media silence. Take these facts and change the names – imagine Trump’s email had been hacked, and then a staffer with possible ties to wikileaks was inexplicably shot dead. Imagine this poor young man had been a Kremlin whistleblower, or a Chinese hacker, or an Iranian blogger.

https://off-guardian.org/2016/08/10/set ... ment-36767

So far, I consider this quote to be a pretty major biscuit crumb:
"It appears he was targeted," said D.C. Police Captain Anthony Haythe.
(see upthread)
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Harvey » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:19 pm

Update: David Swanson interviewed Murray today, and obtained additional information. Specifically, Murray told Swanson that: (1) there were two American leakers … one of the emails of the Democratic National Committee and one of the emails of top Clinton aide John Podesta; (2) Murray met one of those leakers; and (3) both leakers are American insiders with the NSA and/or the DNC, with no known connections to Russia.

From Washingtons Blog

What if some of this is to flush out the leakers?
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby OP ED » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:26 pm

Murdering people is one way to flush them out, I suppose.
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.

:: ::
S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby Harvey » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:29 pm

OP ED » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:26 am wrote:Murdering people is one way to flush them out, I suppose.

Mmm. Didn't mean it that way tho.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Elvis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:23 am

Harvey » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:19 pm wrote:
Update: David Swanson interviewed Murray today, and obtained additional information. Specifically, Murray told Swanson that: (1) there were two American leakers … one of the emails of the Democratic National Committee and one of the emails of top Clinton aide John Podesta; (2) Murray met one of those leakers; and (3) both leakers are American insiders with the NSA and/or the DNC, with no known connections to Russia.

From Washingtons Blog

That is very plausible and makes sense, thanks for posting it, Harvey.

What if some of this is to flush out the leakers?

I've had a hunch that something like that was going on. After all, Podesta & crew's emails explicitly discuss a plan to identify blabbermouths (and "make an example" of one). The email was reacting to a WP story containing some insider info that displeased Podesta et al., but their net could be cast wider.

One detail I think should not be overlooked: in the Podesta emails, job interviewees and new hires are mentioned as security concerns, and Seth Rich was a fairly new hire at the Clinton campaign, coming from a job at the DNC (giving him access to both sets of emails?). The point here is that Rich, as a new hire, might have been under special scrutiny, and his leak discovered.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:38 am

What exactly were Seth Rich's job duties at the Clinton campaign? or at the DNC for that matter?

Rich worked with computers, that much seems accepted—voter databases, get-out-the-vote etc. Awhile back, I read somewhere that he 'set up the email system' or 'set up the servers' or some such thing at the campaign headquarters; was that just a 'pizzagate' arm-waving leap? Or did Seth Rich set up and/or administer 'the servers' (a concept I think I understand), and/or an email system at the campaign HQ?

Write your answers below. Thnx.
Elvis

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:45 am

Per wiki-news-aggregator content farm Heavy:
http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/seth-rich ... st-emails/

On his LinkedIn page, Rich described himself as “Experienced and impassioned data analyst. I have an enormous interest in public service and working towards making the world a better place.” The page says that Rich had worked as the DNC’s Voter Expansion Data Director since 2014.

Before that, he was a Research Data Associate for Greenberg Quinlan Rosner; a Boating Education Director and Staff Programming Director at Camp Ramah in Wisconsin; a research intern for Senator Ben Nelson; a member of the campaign staff for the Nebraska Democratic Party, an enumerator for the Census Bureau, a field organizer for Senate campaigns, and other jobs.

People Magazine says he worked on voter expansion efforts for the DNC and The Washington Post says that, as a DNC staffer, he worked on a project to “help voters easily find their polling places.”

Rich graduated from Creighton University with a B.A. in Political Science: Public Policy and History, said his LinkedIn page.

According to Town Hall, Rich had previously worked on the U.S. Senate campaign for Nebraska businessman Scott Kleeb. “The Clinton Global Initiative provided funds for a clean energy business started by Kleeb, which had come under investigation after losing $300,000 in 2010 and another $300,000 in 2011 despite the subsidies,” asserted Town Hall, adding that “Rich was also previously employed at a data firm that had worked with the Clintons.”

(That firm being Greenberg Quinlan Rosner)
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Elvis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:30 am

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:45 pm wrote:Per wiki-news-aggregator content farm Heavy:
http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/seth-rich ... st-emails/

According to Town Hall, Rich had previously worked on the U.S. Senate campaign for Nebraska businessman Scott Kleeb. “The Clinton Global Initiative provided funds for a clean energy business started by Kleeb, which had come under investigation after losing $300,000 in 2010 and another $300,000 in 2011 despite the subsidies,” asserted Town Hall, adding that “Rich was also previously employed at a data firm that had worked with the Clintons.”

(That firm being Greenberg Quinlan Rosner)

So, without knowing more, I'd say Rich might have had earlier exposure to Democratic institutional funny business.

Elvis

Postby Elvis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:51 am

I haven't watched all of this video yet, it's a 25-minute press conference with lawyer/lobbyist Jack Burkman and the parents of Seth Rich.

If you watch, start at 00:40, to bypass a bad audio problem:

Kinda weird. Seth's parents seem like nice, middle class Democrats :confused and Burkman is such a right-wing creep, except for the part about his dear old mother.

From Nov. 23, the Rich's hometown paper includes a few new bits:

Parents of DNC staffer Seth Rich vow to find his killer; reward now $125,000

By Joseph Morton / World-Herald Bureau Nov 23, 2016

WASHINGTON — Omahans Joel and Mary Rich returned to the nation’s capital last weekend to canvass the neighborhood where their son Seth was fatally shot earlier this year.

“We have to get the word out to the people who might know something who don’t watch the 10 o’clock news,” Joel Rich said as they plastered the area with updated fliers offering reward money for information in the case.

Helping distribute the fliers were area residents and friends, including Donna Brazile, interim chair of the Democratic National Committee, where Seth Rich worked on helping people vote.

The 27-year-old was shot at 4:19 a.m. on July 10. Police have suggested the possibility of a botched robbery, but the case remains unsolved with no arrests or even suspects announced.

On Monday his parents held a D.C. press conference alongside Republican lobbyist Jack Burkman, who has offered a $100,000 reward in the case. The fliers mention that reward and an additional $25,000 — the customary police reward in D.C. homicides.

The Riches did not include the $20,000 that has been offered by WikiLeaks, saying they could not verify its validity.

At the press conference, Joel and Mary Rich discussed the information they have at this point:

Seth was walking home, talking to his girlfriend on his cellphone. He was about a block from his place when his girlfriend heard voices or something in the background.

Seth said he had to go. Two minutes later, he was shot.

“What happened in those two minutes?” Joel Rich asked. “We’d love to know.”

They said it’s clear there was an altercation because Seth had bruises on his hands and his face. Joel Rich said his son would not have risked his life in such a struggle if a gun was apparent from the start.

“So he was just trying to defend himself, and then he turned and he was shot,” Joel Rich said.

Seth would have been aware of robberies in the area in recent weeks, Rich said, and noted that the signs of struggle included damage to Seth’s watch.

“There were no shell casings — it was a revolver,” Joel Rich said. “So it wasn’t, quote, ‘a professional’ kind of weapon.”

In addition to seeking information from the public, Burkman raised the possibility that more private security video could be discovered, and said there are plans to do a re-enactment of the crime.

Burkman said that re-creating the crime scene is a way both to garner more information and generate additional public interest in the case.

Mary Rich reiterated her call for those in the neighborhood to contact police if they saw anyone running through alleys around the time of the shooting or if they saw anyone come home bruised or bloodied that morning.

In talking about her resolve for solving her son’s killing, she noted the advice to hikers when they see a bear cub: to look around for its mother.

“You don’t get between a mother and her cub,” she said, her voice breaking. “My cub is dead. It doesn’t mean anything: I will, we will, find his murderer.”

Burkman said he stepped in because the case reminded him of when he arrived in Washington as a young man and his own mother warned him to be careful of crime in the city.

“When I saw the story about Seth, the heartbreaking story, all I could think of was my mother getting the call that Mary Rich got,” Burkman said.

Mary Rich talked about how her son would have approved of that kind of bipartisan sentiment, of people working together across the political divide.

And they all swore not to give up.

“We’ll come back in February and do this in our snowsuits,” Joel Rich said.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/parents ... 4441b.html

They say it must be a revolver because no shell casings; maybe the shooter picked up his brass? Doubtful, but in any case, I don't think I've seen the caliber of the weapon reported anywhere.

Elvis

Postby OP ED » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:02 am

Unprofessional because they didn't leave evidence behind?

Jeez. I come from a long line of rednecks. You use a revolver, preferably one that says "Colt" on the barrel, because it works every damn time you pull the trigger.

S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby Elvis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:31 am

OP ED » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:02 pm wrote:You use a revolver, preferably one that says "Colt" on the barrel, because it works every damn time you pull the trigger.

That's my feeling, about the reliability of revolvers, and I had a mixed reaction when I read that one was apparently used. On one hand, I thought, "do pros ever use revolvers any more?—sounds more like street crime" and on the other hand, "a pro might use a revolver, just because revolvers are more dependable."

The particular weapon aside, I'm uncertain about the precise chronology leading up to the first shot, and the nature of the (two minute?) encounter with the assailant is at the heart of this. It sounds like Seth, while on the phone with his girlfriend, was approached by someone, then some kind of conversation ensued, then Seth told his girlfriend he had to get off the phone. If two minutes elapsed between hanging up and getting shot, that doesn't sound like a robbery; it sounds more like an argument, possibly leading to a struggle and getting shot. If he was shot from behind, as seems the case, my guess is he was walking away, and his assailant didn't like the upshot of the conversation.

In November, Burkman said he was going to conduct a re-enactment of the crime; that would certainly be interesting but I haven't run across anything about it since. (Will do a Google "videos" search later.)
Elvis

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:40 am

Elvis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:31 am wrote:
OP ED » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:02 pm wrote:You use a revolver, preferably one that says "Colt" on the barrel, because it works every damn time you pull the trigger.

That's my feeling, about the reliability of revolvers, and I had a mixed reaction when I read that one was apparently used. On one hand, I thought, "do pros ever use revolvers any more?—sounds more like street crime" and on the other hand, "a pro might use a revolver, just because revolvers are more dependable."

There's a third option: A pro might use a revolver, not just because revolvers are more dependable, but also because it'll make people presume it was "street crime".
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby OP ED » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:53 am

Quite.

But we have a lot of "Street crimes" where I live, and I don't think I have ever read any studies about particular types of weapons being favored.

(And I studied criminology, among other things, at a university that has "Street crime" in its immediate vicinity)

S.H.C.R.
OP ED

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion