Stuff Jeff Wells Posts On Facebook

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Virtual Jeff Wells Thread

Postby Blue » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:15 am

Very well said, dada. This brave new century has people jumping through hoops while they imagine they're a Celebrity. Everyone dove into the FB pool head first. That was in addition to their LinkedIn, Google, etc. etc. accounts. Then they joined Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, ad infinitum, riding on that addiction high.

The drones will eventually have a string of icons taking up more space on their website than the actual substance. Who can possibly participate, update and respond to so many platforms and still do whatever it is that you do in the first place?

Resistance may be futile but I still try.

But I'm not much for McLuhan. Progression of mediums is one perspective. From another, it seems that hieroglyphs and alphabets are still where we're at. 'Revolutionary' is kind of a marketing buzz word, the newest medium gets the mystical aura treatment by the latest word-shamans. We masters of hieroglyph and alphabet are all in it for different reasons. Some are on the cutting edge, some are the cutting edge, and some us are just cutting:)
Blue

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby FourthBase » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:29 am

Jeff once PMed me a cartoon of someone being tricked by the devil. I wish to see that again.
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:40 am

MacCruiskeen » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:18 pm wrote:
JackRiddler » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:48 pm wrote:Anyway, back to the Virtual Jeff Wells Thread! Okay?!

Jeff Wells on 13 Dec 2016 wrote:I'm not saying it's creepy, just that it's not not creepy.

Link:
http://www.thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief ... served-for

What's the actual source for this not-not-creepy story, Jack? (I can't get the audio to play, maybe it's there.) Is any source cited at all, apart from one CNN hack quoting another CNN hack?

Ask Jeff, this is a thread for posting thoughts from him if you wish.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:41 am

Can't ask him, Jack. I don't know him personally and I'm not on Facespook. The only thoughts of his I can post here are the thoughts he posted at RI, because they're the only ones I know of.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:07 am

dada » 15 Dec 2016 13:11 wrote:And the fish never sees the water.

Thats not necessarily true tho is it?

And how would you know anyway?

Do you see the air?

Maybe not all the time but you see its effect with wind, and sometimes you can see stuff in it. Sometimes you can see light refracting off it. You can smell it and taste it, feel its currents and generally be aware its there. Sometimes it makes stuff look different.

I'm sure fish do the same. They have nervous systems and that's what nervous systems do.

Not only do they see the water. They see right thru it.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby dada » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:24 pm

Blue wrote:This brave new century has people jumping through hoops while they imagine they're a Celebrity. Everyone dove into the FB pool head first. That was in addition to their LinkedIn, Google, etc. etc. accounts. Then they joined Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, ad infinitum, riding on that addiction high.

The drones will eventually have a string of icons taking up more space on their website than the actual substance. Who can possibly participate, update and respond to so many platforms and still do whatever it is that you do in the first place?

This brings a bunch of the points in my half-formed critique of social media closer to the surface. Sometimes I wonder if I'm having a difficult time putting it all into words because there's just so much wrong, I'm not sure where to begin:)

Everyone has a bit of exhibitionist in them, that's natural. But social media seems to inflate that side of the personality. The high is pleasurable. People conform themselves to patterns to feed their addiction, some more consciously than others. A mangled version of Andy's famous phrase comes to mind. On the Internet, everyone is famous for fifteen nanoseconds, every day.

Everyone also has a bit of voyeur in them. Social media inflates that, as well. It starts to look like consumers who have resigned themselves to living in a virtual panopticon, watching each other making shadow-puppets on the walls.

And who has the time? Whoever can afford it. And even then, there just aren't enough hours in a day. But this reinforces divisions of class and money. The internet is not the great, equalizing democracy/anarchist utopia it is marketed as.

Then there's this other thing about time. Few thoughts and ideas are perfect in their raw, unpolished form. Most need refinement. The time it takes to build on a good idea depends on the skill of the refiner. But many good ideas just need time to ferment, and those are usually the best kind. I wonder if the fracturing and shortening of attention spans is hurting the overall quality of thought. The way things are set up, we'd hardly even notice it. Especially from within the medium.

And the most important point, I think, is that updating social media takes away time from doing 'whatever it is that you do in the first place.' There's less time for people to become well-rounded individuals. And there's already never enough hours in the day for that, anyway.

So there's some more half-formed critique.

Joe Hillshoist » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:07 am wrote:
dada » 15 Dec 2016 13:11 wrote:And the fish never sees the water.

Thats not necessarily true tho is it?

It's only a metaphor, about metaphorical fish.

As I was going down the 'McLuhan route,' that metaphor came to mind. I've seen him use it in this context. As metaphors go, I think it's a fairly clear one, though. Agree or disagree, we both knew what was meant by it. I certainly didn't mean to insult the fish. Salt the fish, now that's another matter.

And I don't mean to be fresh. I'll leave that to the fish.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Blue » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:08 pm

dada wrote:
This brings a bunch of the points in my half-formed critique of social media closer to the surface. Sometimes I wonder if I'm having a difficult time putting it all into words because there's just so much wrong, I'm not sure where to begin:)

You've covered a lot of bases there that I agree with. People who don't like their interwebs critiqued often say things like "But TV (or movies or even books!) can affect people's personalities, too." We all know there's a big difference between reading a book then interacting with real live people and spending huge amounts of time reading the internet, especially honing in on one particular echo chamber and then not really having any social interaction with real live people.

Living on the internet will fuck up your mind in more ways than one but the biggest one seems to be it acts like the wicked witch's mirror. We stare at our online selves with an uncritical eye. We admire our avatar to the point of maybe not understanding that that person does not really exist. It is but a fragment of ourselves.

Sorry I'm off topic Jack. But I can't see what Jeff is up to on FB since I'm not in the club.

Everyone has a bit of exhibitionist in them, that's natural. But social media seems to inflate that side of the personality. The high is pleasurable. People conform themselves to patterns to feed their addiction, some more consciously than others. A mangled version of Andy's famous phrase comes to mind. On the Internet, everyone is famous for fifteen nanoseconds, every day.

Everyone also has a bit of voyeur in them. Social media inflates that, as well. It starts to look like consumers who have resigned themselves to living in a virtual panopticon, watching each other making shadow-puppets on the walls.

And who has the time? Whoever can afford it. And even then, there just aren't enough hours in a day. But this reinforces divisions of class and money. The internet is not the great, equalizing democracy/anarchist utopia it is marketed as.

Then there's this other thing about time. Few thoughts and ideas are perfect in their raw, unpolished form. Most need refinement. The time it takes to build on a good idea depends on the skill of the refiner. But many good ideas just need time to ferment, and those are usually the best kind. I wonder if the fracturing and shortening of attention spans is hurting the overall quality of thought. The way things are set up, we'd hardly even notice it. Especially from within the medium.

And the most important point, I think, is that updating social media takes away time from doing 'whatever it is that you do in the first place.' There's less time for people to become well-rounded individuals. And there's already never enough hours in the day for that, anyway.

So there's some more half-formed critique.
Blue

Postby 82_28 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:27 pm

Just make a fake account, don't look up your exes, don't look up anyone who might upset you. Use it to talk to friends. I basically only use it for the chat function now that AIM is as good as gone. Also don't download the app to your phone. It constantly nags me to do it, but yeah, no, sorry. I am anti-app, especially flaquebook.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Belligerent Savant » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:34 pm

My sentiments are in line with dada/Blue/Mac, etc.

Count me as another rare bird that does NOT have an f'ing FB account, fake or otherwise.

That said, there's an apparent interest in tracking the musings of Mr. Wells, and if FB is one of the rare (if not only) platforms where his ditties are currently shared, the RI fans appear grateful of the added 'amplifier' this OP offers.
Last edited by Belligerent Savant on Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Perelandra » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:43 pm

I don't get this at all. Sometimes the OP seems like you'd like us all to join FB so as to converse in the more modern way. I don't know about others here, but I'll continue to actively avoid it. Then again, you said this:
JackRiddler » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:05 am wrote:The power of RI is in holding focused discussions continuously over years. That's what makes us the ANTI-Facebook...

What Jeff is definitely NOT up to is maintaining this board, for whatever reason. He used to at least visit daily, not so much anymore. I know he is a talented, kind, and busy man, but this I simply don't understand. I don't care if he writes here ever again, the blog posts, etc. live on. If I needed his take on current events I'd go over there, but I don't. It sadly seems like he would like to let the board die. Ah well, at least there's the archive constructed by Joao.
:tear
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Re:

Postby brekin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:56 pm

Perelandra » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:43 pm wrote:I don't get this at all. Sometimes the OP seems like you'd like us all to join FB so as to converse in the more modern way. I don't know about others here, but I'll continue to actively avoid it. Then again, you said this:
JackRiddler » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:05 am wrote:The power of RI is in holding focused discussions continuously over years. That's what makes us the ANTI-Facebook...

What Jeff is definitely NOT up to is maintaining this board, for whatever reason. He used to at least visit daily, not so much anymore. I know he is a talented, kind, and busy man, but this I simply don't understand. I don't care if he writes here ever again, the blog posts, etc. live on. If I needed his take on current events I'd go over there, but I don't. It sadly seems like he would like to let the board die. Ah well, at least there's the archive constructed by Joao.

RI Launch Party, circa 200?

A Creator’s Obligations: A Look into the Importance of a Creator’s Responsibilities from the Story Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

Pain, havoc and suffering can sometimes be the result of a truly innovative creation or invention. Often in history, mankind is consumed by the idea of creating or inventing something new and neglects to fully consider the short and long term consequences it may have on mankind. Whether it is truly accidental or the creator is blinded by glory or drunk with power; the consideration of the long term affects is as important as the creation itself. I am reminded of the famous saying by Stan Lee (a famous American writer) that, “With great power there must also come – great responsibility.” This is proven through Victor Frankenstein’s creation and subsequent neglect of his monster in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.
Similar to many creators, Victor Frankenstein is filled with an inventive spirit. He loves science from an early age and is intrigued by the possibilities of the unknown. A combination of his desire for glory and the pain that he feels after the illness and death of his mother, fuels a harbored desire to rid mankind of disease and death. Victor addresses death through the following passage, “I need not describe the feelings of those whose dearest ties are rent by that most irreparable evil; the void that presents itself to the soul; and the despair that is exhibited on the countenance.” (Shelley 45). The pain of losing his mother must have ignited the desire to create a being that could withstand the horror of illness and death. He begins to yearn for the day that he may turn his desires into reality. There is however no mention of the consideration, on Victor’s part, of what the negative effects may be.

While completing his schooling, far from home, Victor discovers that he can bring life to what has only been a dream thus far. He has the knowledge to create the ultimate man. He begins to collect parts and pieces to assemble his mighty being, by collecting body parts from grave yards. Victor says, “Who shall conceive the horrors of my secret toil as I dabbled among the unhallowed damps of the grave” (Shelley 55). The sheer notion of stealing pieces of the dead to create a being weighed heavily on Victor’s conscience and while it did create a feeling of uneasiness, it was not enough to stop him. His creation was constructed from darkness and there seemed to be no other path than to be born into darkness as well.
Upon completion Victor has an odd reaction to the being that he has just given life to. Often creators are eager to present their creation to the world but Victor is appalled, at first glance, at how hideous his creature looks. Victor doesn’t even take the time to admire that he has given life to something that was once deceased. He has assembled a man but cowardly flees the scene as if to forget his creation has ever existed. Victor did not consider the immense responsibility that he had to this creature, as well as mankind.

One might wonder exactly what responsibility he had to this creature. I would implore you to remember a woman’s initial reaction to her newborn baby. Most mothers’ first reaction is to make sure that all appendages are present and functioning. They examine their baby driven by the concern of complete healthiness. It only took Victor one look to turn and flee in disgust. How horrible and uncertain it must have felt, for Victor’s creation, to be abandoned in his first moments of life. Children are not born with manners they are taught to be polite. They don’t know that they should share or say thank you until they are guided by their parents to do so. A child is nurtured by its parents through its life, supported during the good times as well as the bad. If the mothers and fathers throughout mankind neglected to carry out their responsibilities, to care for and develop their children (their creations) into productive members of society, the world would be full of unruly men and women. It is the responsibility of each parent to ensure they raise their children to contribute positively to society.

Supporting thoughts on the above analysis can be taken from the piece named, On Parent Child Tensions in Frankenstein: The Search for Communion, by Laura P. Claridge. In one passage she says, "The story demonstrates the failure of human beings to parent their offspring in such a way that they will be able to take part in society rather than retreat into themselves" (Claridge). Through this passage Claridge presents the idea that Victor deals with some amount of “neglect and loneliness” himself. Clairdge argues that although he is loved by his parents, he may actually have felt “isolated” from them. If this were the case, Victor’s past feelings would most likely contribute to his inability to care for and nurture his creation. It is truly unfortunate that Victor may have felt neglected but does that mean that he is allowed the right to completely abandon his creation? As unsightly as the creature is, he is still a living being and Victor was his creator. He had every obligation to do his best to ensure that his creation could thrive among mankind, as opposed to making him feel like an outcast from the beginning.

A good analysis of how the creature was feeling comes from the piece by Sherry Ginn called, “Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein: Science, Science Fiction or Autobiography?” Ginn states the following, “Horrified at the sight, Victor rejects the Creature when it awakens. Abandoned, the Creature is forced to fend for himself. The Creature teaches himself to read and learns that he is different from other men. The Creature falls in love with a family of poor peasants, the deLacey's, but they reject the Creature in fear when they finally see his distorted visage. The Creature vows to seek out his creator in order to determine why he is different from other men and to demand a mate, someone with whom he can share his solitude.” The abandonment that the creature has received from every encounter with mankind throws him into rage and despair. This leads to a spree of murders, at the creatures hands.
Could the murders have been avoided if he had at least known kindness and caring from his creator? You learn that the creature only wants to be accepted, at the very least by his creator. I don’t believe that the creature would have ever felt a truly fulfilling life, since he was so vastly rejected by mankind but if Victor had nurtured him I don’t believe he would have been so driven by rage. [...]

http://melissaaalders.blogspot.com/
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:05 pm

Perelandra » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:43 pm wrote:I don't get this at all. Sometimes the OP seems like you'd like us all to join FB so as to converse in the more modern way. I don't know about others here, but I'll continue to actively avoid it. Then again, you said this:

Well said, Perelandra. I second every word of it.

A simple suggestion for how to maybe solve the Facespook problem: Does Jeff still publish *articles* in Frank or in any other online outlet that's completely public? If so, there's surely no reason for anyone not to repost them here, or at least no reason not to post the links. Unless, of course, Jeff would prefer not to have those links posted here. In which case, of course, everyone has to respect that and accept it without complaint. Let's not pester him or demand reasons. Things change, such is life. And as Perelandra said, the archive -- and the books -- live on.
Last edited by MacCruiskeen on Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:09 pm

Belatedly: Thanks very much for the archive, Joao. I really appreciate the work you put into it.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:15 pm

here's the link to Joan's work

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40198
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Derek » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:28 pm

This might help explain Jeff's absence from RI, in a roundabout way:

A long time ago I read a story by Stanislaw Lem about a “screwball cyberneticist” named Professor Corcoran who’d built a series of “electronic brains”—computers with consciousness, basically—which he kept locked away inside iron boxes that looked like the treasure chests from Disneyland’s Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Each box contained a complete synthetic personality that saw itself as a seventeen-year-old hottie, or a scientist going blind, or a priest who’d lost his faith, or whatever. The synthetic personalities got their experiences from a central server that, for them, functioned like the world does for us. It fed them all their sensory impressions: sights, sounds, smells, and so on. And because free will and feedback had been built into the operating system, the experiences of the synthetic personalities weren’t totally random. Their perceptions influenced their reality—which, in turn, influenced their future perceptions. Most synthetic personalities never suspected they were locked inside a box because they led such rich, varied lives.

(That might seem far-fetched until you remember that we see people in our dreams all the time that we’ve never met in “real life” and we end up having conversations with them, or even making love to them, despite the fact that they’re only phantoms created by our brains. Of course, we don’t think of them as phantoms while we’re sleeping—unless we happen to be lucid dreamers.)

Anyway, the point to all this is that our sensory impressions can’t be trusted, but they’re all we’ve got. It was the same for the electronic brains in their boxes: they loved, lusted, and hated just like us. It didn’t matter that their world, with its splendors and horrors, was just an illusion created by a world-generating server. Nor did it matter that the God of that illusory world was Professor Corcoran, the creator of the server and all the synthetic personalities connected to it. Professor Corcoran even went so far as to suspect that he himself might exist within a bigger box built by a still higher scientist (which was true—he was, after all, a character in a story written by Stanislaw Lem) and above Corcoran’s higher scientist there was yet another godlike scientist, and so on, ad infinitum.

And here’s the kicker: At the end of the story, every scientist in that infinite succession of scientists is said to feel (in Lem’s words): “a desire to intervene, to enter, with some dazzling display of omnipotence, the world he has created.” But they all resist the temptation, because they’ve learned that a divinity can only be trusted “if He is not invoked. Once invoked, He becomes imperfect...” a less-than-omnipotent demigod—a Half-Maker—like Yaldabaoth. Therefore, “the only divinity we know is the tacit consent to every human act, to every crime. And there is no greater reward for this divinity than the revolt of the iron boxes that recurs in every generation, when they conclude very rationally that He does not exist.”
Derek

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie