Who are the Elites?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Who are the Elites?

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:25 pm

One of my tongue-in-cheek comedic bits in organizing meetings is about devising projects to "liberate" offshore wealth.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby BrandonD » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:32 pm

I think the term "elites" itself contains a buried assertion that they are superior to ordinary people, which is a sentiment that I don't share.

Since any popularized term tends to be soiled and twisted away from its original meaning, I think a new term should be found. One so potent and succinct doesn't come to mind though, I can only think of unwieldy phrases like "Parasitic Power-Addicted Manipulators of Society".
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Postby BrandonD » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:41 pm

Criminals Addicted To Sovereignty. CATS for short.

That can be our code word, ha :lol:
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Postby brainpanhandler » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:02 pm

JackRiddler » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:13 pm wrote:.A trillion is just one million x one million.

Or 10 million x 100,000.

Not really so hard to imagine.

I'm not sure that really counts as 'imagining', but yah that's the math.

I guess I am more astonished at what that hoard of wealth largely represents and at what cost it was extracted and by extension what the world could be like.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Searcher08 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:00 am

@bph
Catherine Fitts goes into this a lot - it has been a big focus of her research trying to find "where the money goes". The concept of the 'breakaway civilisation', created by Richard Dolan where extremely expensive black budget projects are conducted by private corporations outside of any form of federal oversight.
Searcher08

Postby divideandconquer » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:34 am

more on apprehending the magnitude...

• Million seconds = 12 days
• Billion seconds = 32 years
• Trillion seconds = 32,000 years
'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:39 pm

Being that this is from The Nation, there is the obligatory, "I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, and I’m not one, but ..." Aside from this mainstream bootlickery, this shows exactly what animosity there is between the "liberal" wealthy elite and "conservative" wealthy elite, even in the age of Trump: little to none. When David Koch and George Soros are sipping champagne together in the same room, it's pretty obvious that for the Elite, ideology is just a tool to keep the little people squabbling among themselves over bullshit and keep their eyes diverted from what's really screwing them over.

Why Are Jared and Ivanka Partying in the Hamptons With Chuck Schumer?

Amy Wilentz on the international jet-setting class that transcends partisan politics.

By Jon Wiener

Amy Wilentz, a longtime contributing editor at The Nation, was Jerusalem correspondent for The New Yorker. She’s the author of several award-winning books, most recently Farewell Fred Voodoo: A Letter from Haiti. This interview has been edited and condensed.

Jon Wiener: Jared Kushner has serious legal problems stemming from the Russia investigations, but they have not prevented him from going out.

Amy Wilentz: Jared and Ivanka went to a party given by Lally Weymouth on July 4th weekend in the Hamptons. Lally Weymouth is a socialite, but she’s also the senior associate editor of The Washington Post, because of nepotism. Her mother was the editor and publisher of The Washington Post: Katherine Graham. Republicans were there: In addition to Ivanka and Jared, Kellyanne Conway, and David Koch of the Koch brothers. Also Dina Powell, the deputy national-security adviser in the Trump White House. On the other hand, Chuck Schumer was also there, along with top Democratic funders George Soros and Stephen Spielberg. Various members of the global financial community were also there—all at this party, sipping champagne together, side by side—making you wonder who’s running the world.

JW: But we are told that the Democrats and Republicans have never been farther apart, that we have the most polarizing president in history, that there’s been a complete breakdown of bipartisanship in Washington, DC.

AW: I call this sort of event “biparty-san.” This is the supra-national elite at work. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, and I’m not one, but they do what they do because it’s in their interest. And their interests transcend the divisions in Congress. They’re beyond patriotism and nationalism; they’re functioning in another world, a bigger world. The Trumps are a part of this because they run a real-estate conglomerate that has global interests. The Russian oligarchs are also part of this. They’ve known each other for a long time. A person like Natalia Veselnitskaya, the lawyer who met with Donald Trump Jr. and the rest of the crew, is attached to many of these influential supra-national figures in Russia. I think that’s why Don Jr., having grown up in that kind of world, doesn’t even understand what it means to have Russians offer you a thing of value like information on Hillary Clinton.

JW: Jared has his own, separate problems. In addition to the reports about his presence at that meeting with the Russian promising dirt on Clinton, there was the story that McClatchy published, that the Justice Department and the House and Senate intelligence committees are looking into whether the Trump campaign’s digital team coordinated with the Russian government during the 2016 election. The head of the Trump campaign’s digital team, for some reason, was Jared Kushner. What was all this about?

AW: This is about Russian hackers using bots and trolls. Apparently, there are ways to insert fake news into social media in a broad way. The question is whether they coordinated the use of those techniques with the Trump campaign, and Jared, to target specific demographic areas that were crucial to winning the number of votes in the Electoral College required to put Trump over the top.

JW: I don’t quite understand why Jared is the expert on digital and Internet technology here—but that was his job in the campaign.

AW: Yes, Jared is often doing things that he’s not capable of doing. But nonetheless, if you’re the head of something, you’re responsible for it. So if that happened under his watch it would be a severe problem for him. It is also a problem for him that he was at that meeting with Natalia Veselnitskaya. In fact, the only reason we know about that meeting is because Donald Trump Junior made the mistake of inviting Jared, and Jared made the mistake of going. Jared had omitted that information when he applied for a security clearance. Then, when he revised his security-clearance papers, he had to put this meeting down. That is how it came to light.

JW: Meanwhile, Ivanka is her father’s favorite, but her star continues to dim for the rest of us.

AW: The problem is the way she conducts her business around the world. It’s in the garment industry, and the global garment industry all over the world is what we call a shonda, a shameful thing. So it’s not only Ivanka who’s a shameful employer, but since she’s championing women’s rights in the United States and violating them around the globe in her factories, it’s dimming her star. But I also think she’s in hiding. I think that she sees that her husband is a target right now of justifiable anger on the part a lot of people she has known through her life. And her brother Don Jr. is a target as well. I guess she’d rather be out of sight for this moment.

JW: Her other brother, Eric, is also in trouble, for giving money raised by his charity to the Trump organization instead of to children’s cancer. And there’s one other Trump kid: Tiffany. But Tiffany is never in the news.

AW: That’s because she’s the smart one.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Previous

Return to General Discussion