President Duterte of the Philippines for Dummies

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: President Duterte of the Philippines for Dummies

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu May 25, 2017 10:36 pm

I see you've chosen to disregard my two questions asked of you and instead ask me four.

Your last,
"Question to you Iam. How is your desire to meddle anything more than western exceptionalist thinking?"

How is my desire to interfere in anything more than WET dreams? Obviously, for ten years you haven't been paying attention. Stop projecting your imaginings upon me, please.

Since when have you become disconnected from the human race as not to be touched by today's world status? We are all connected, like it or not, and therefore we are all affected. perpetually.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Sounder » Fri May 26, 2017 7:40 am

Tell me, Sounder, how you came to this knowledge, that which you related in the second paragraph? was it not from elitist paid reportage in this and all others mentioned?

I would not call it knowledge, more like a general impression found by listening for the signal coming through the noise.

But even that does not matter because if those leaders were unpopular, there would still be no imagined privilege on my part to call for their removal.

I assume that the people of the respective countries are better placed and able to mold their future than are outsiders, usually effectively calling for more violence, you know, to curb the violence.

Iam wrote...
Since when have you become disconnected from the human race as not to be touched by today's world status? We are all connected, like it or not, and therefore we are all affected. perpetually.

Oh I am most certainly touched Iam, as I am the softy type that is willing to cry as I ponder the reasons for and execution of mans inhumanity to man nearly every day. Yes we are all connected and that gives no one the right or the obligation, it seems to the 'western democracies', to impose colonial status on every country possible. We are all affected, we project hate, we will get hate back in return.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri May 26, 2017 8:59 am

My brother spent some time living with the Higaonon people of Mindanao. He still keeps in touch with them.

So far the indigenous people in Northern Mindanao are no better off and have had no more protection from the unwanted foreign multinational timber and mining companies under Dytere's government. He did say he would look after their interest but just hasn't yet. He might one day.

Whole Higaonon villages have had to evacuate to keep out of the way of his military actions against the evil commos and godless mussies in Mindanao. That is an issue cos their occupation makes it easier for the local people who are constantly patrolling the area fighting as a non violent a battle as they can* against the thugs and violent crims the mining and logging companies employ.

*Start killing the employees of foreign companies and the governments of the US, but also China, Indonesia and India these days, get uppity about justice for their "people".

FWIW
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Elihu » Fri May 26, 2017 11:39 am

here's a newsflash for yall: the death penalty for "drug" traffickers in se asia is decades old. there is a charming short story by jack london about an indigenous phillipene leper colony fleeing to their mountains ahead of imperial pursuit. if you can read it, it might give the flavor of what's going on.
just hasn't yet. He might one day.
no. he won't. he can't. he is allowed to say anything but scope of action is totally prescribed. the dividing line is people that still believe in "government" and leaders as they exist today. some of us, perhaps without knowing the details, are astute enough to intuitively know that "government" as it exists today is bullsh!t. the rest simply absorb the abuse waiting for the day it will do the right thing. misplaced faith and part of the problem. it won't. to do so would crumble power structure. so it won't be done.
But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
Elihu

Postby American Dream » Fri May 26, 2017 1:42 pm

How many here would go missing if Trump were to consummate his "bromance" by making America great, Filipino style?
American Dream

Postby Sounder » Fri May 26, 2017 3:50 pm

How many here would go missing if Trump were to consummate his "bromance" by making America great, Filipino style?

Yes, it could get very bad for our sort of people AD. So the question becomes one of strategy rather than tactics. Your sentence assumes the 'govt' does things while others assume that the 'deep state' have ways to pull anybodies strings, even if that person has intentions to resist, you know, on principle and for the good of the people. (Not referring to Trump here)

A proper strategy depends on accurate identification of the source of our problems.

We think we are smart yet we model reality as if it's an infinite ping-pong game.

Our modeling is intentionally crude because elites realized long ago that to stay in power they must suppress 'enthusiasm' or listening to the heart.

Creativity has been reduced to filling an artificial gap. Sad really, so much more is possible.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby American Dream » Fri May 26, 2017 4:15 pm

So if Trump were murdering your pals Duterte style, you might not worry about it per se?
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Sat May 27, 2017 9:26 am

Rodrigo Duterte jokes to soldiers that they can rape women with impunity
‘If you had raped three, I will admit it, that’s on me’ Philippines president tells soldiers on Mindanao island where he has imposed martial law

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte is known for making offensive comments

Saturday 27 May 2017 01.55 EDT

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has sought to reassure soldiers who might be accused of committing abuses under martial law and jokingly said that if any of them were to rape three women, he would personally claim responsibility for it.

Duterte is notorious for comments often deemed offensive and made the remark as a joke, reiterating that only he would be liable for any backlash over military rule on southern Mindanao island. He has, however, said he would not tolerate abuses.

“If you go down, I go down. But for this martial law and the consequences of martial law and the ramifications of martial law, I and I alone would be responsible, just do your job I will take care of the rest,” Duterte said on Friday, according to a president’s office transcript.

“I’ll imprison you myself,” he said, referring to any soldiers who commit violations, then he joked: “If you had raped three, I will admit it, that’s on me.”

Duterte made the remark in a speech to soldiers on Mindanao island, where he imposed martial law on Tuesday to try to crush Islamic State-linked rebels, who have been battling the military after laying siege to a southern city.

It was not the first time Duterte has made a joke about rape. He caused outrage in the lead-up to his presidential election win last year when he recalled a 1989 prison riot in which an Australian missionary was killed, and inmates had lined up to rape her.

In what was intended as a joke, Duterte said the victim was “beautiful” and as mayor of Davao city where the riot took place, he should have been first in line. He later apologised and said he did not intend to disrespect women or rape victims.

Duterte’s speeches are often loaded with profanity, threats and jokes about taboo subjects, which offend some, but are taken lightly by many Filipinos.

The president’s spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Duterte’s latest remarks about rape.

Duterte’s pledge of support for troops comes as human rights groups and some lawmakers criticise his decision to declare martial law as excessive, and say it could lead to abuses by security forces.

He also joked that he would join soldiers in the fight against extremists if he could, but he had arthritis.

He urged rebels to disarm and hold talks and said anyone not authorised to carry guns would be killed.

“My order to the troops is all people who are not authorised by government to carry arms and they resist, kill them, wipe them out,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... h-impunity
American Dream

Postby Sounder » Sat May 27, 2017 7:01 pm

American Dream, you are taking this thread title way too seriously.
Sounder

Postby American Dream » Sat May 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Says a supporter of the Strongman as he tries to sidestep ugly truths...
American Dream

Postby Sounder » Sat May 27, 2017 7:58 pm

What gives you the right or inclination to call me a supporter of that man?

I do not have a just privilege to call for the overthrow of another countries leader. What gives you that privilege?

Would you expect ISIS, the western proxies that they are, to be less brutal, or to kill fewer drug users, or to rape fewer women?

Why do you support them?
Sounder

Postby American Dream » Sat May 27, 2017 8:48 pm

You might need to read more carefully and/or you might be making disingenuous arguments. Either way you've got it drastically wrong- as you continue trying to sidestep ugly truths.
American Dream

Postby Sounder » Sat May 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Sidestep ugly truths? What, that Duterte is a bad man? So what, we know a lot of bad men. Is Libya better off now that it's 'bad man' has been removed?

The real ugly truth is that oligarchs do not like to be subservient to national leaders and will use any amount of proxy forces and propaganda material to change that relationship. The second ugly truth is there are any number of enablers for these very ugly humans who have no objective other than the rape of the whole planet and the degradation of anything resembling local culture.

Revolution is only good for those well enough placed to profit from the repricing of assets, all others suffer, still want a revolution?
Sounder

Postby minime » Sat May 27, 2017 10:23 pm

Sounder » Fri May 26, 2017 2:50 pm wrote:
A proper strategy depends on accurate identification of the source of our problems.

We think we are smart yet we model reality as if it's an infinite ping-pong game.

Our modeling is intentionally crude because elites realized long ago that to stay in power they must suppress 'enthusiasm' or listening to the heart.

Creativity has been reduced to filling an artificial gap. Sad really, so much more is possible.

Enthousiasmos!

Back to you...
minime

Postby American Dream » Sat May 27, 2017 10:28 pm

I've filled my quota for horror and disgust by now. Thank you very much but I'm moving on.
American Dream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion