Provocateurs in Berkeley (and elsewhere)?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Provocateurs in Berkeley (and elsewhere)?

Postby 82_28 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:22 am

I know nothing of this, as I am not there. But it has all the hallmarks of "fake" agents going whole hog in a riot funded by someone. It flies in the face of intuitiveness and rationalism to destroy your heartfelt cause. It means your cause is to break shit and know you will gain no fans thus thrusting the blame on the left -- the likely culprits in the view of black and white thinkers who think the public will fall for anything. It is typical right wing behavior. We've all seen it.

What do you have to lose, in the great words of the famous and regal orator known as #45. I don't buy any of this for a second. They were sent in to one of the most liberal universities in the country and were paid to destroy shit. Textbook fascist behavior. Textbook. How do I know?

Experience.

Full disclosure, I identify as a leftist anarchist. This is not what anarchy is. It is nothing and that is the point. First do no harm and then pay attention to what your acquiescence makes people think. I would never break anything or hurt shit. But I do not buy this yarn.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/0 ... ulos-talk/

Pieter Sittler, a spokesman for the Berkeley College Republicans, said the club doesn’t support everything Yiannopoulos says but “he gives a voice to repressed conservative thought on American college campuses.” He uses “levity and humor” that should not be taken literally, Sittler said.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Provocateurs in Berkeley (and elsewhere)?

Postby NeonLX » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:29 am

Hahaha. "Should not be taken literally". That's what all these fucks hide behind. "I didn't really mean it of course, I was just trying to make a point".
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:04 am

trumpty dumbty suggests cutting federal funds to UC Berkeley after protests force cancellation of Yiannopoulos speech
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby American Dream » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:03 pm

Maybe/possibly there were provocateurs stirring things up last night. Meanwhile, there is abundant evidence that Milo defends Misogyny, White Nationalism, Transphobia etc. through the most vile means.
American Dream

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:39 pm

It was legit. Glass and brick aren't holy relics.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby American Dream » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Alex Jones- now practically a member of the Trump Administration- used to specialize in such allegations, even without any good evidence. Where are such claims originating from now?
American Dream

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:56 pm

LMFAO, agents, yeah. If there's one fucking city in our union where FedGov has absolutely no need for agent provocateurs to make people seem crazy and violent, it's Berkeley, CA. Milo knew that going in. It's a rational reflex to "No True Scotsman" this brave movement for peace and all, but come on.

It's a clean encapsulation of so many dysfunctional dynamics that animate our body politic. The counter-protesters are doing more to sell tickets for Milo events than Milo himself ever could.

And for what? It's on par with the "He Will Not Divide Us" installation in NYC, a webcam on the side of a museum. Once it was targeted by some Chan folks, defending that webcam from printed images of pepe and red MAGA hats got elevated from art project to activism.

Last weekend I was explaining "He Will Not Divide Us" to a room full of friends and randoms and nobody believed it was real.

Nobody had a smartphone, either, so perhaps they all still assume I'm kidding. That kind of innocence is beautiful and, I think, worth preserving.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby 82_28 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:19 pm

I like to hedge my "bets" in this kind of thing, but I feel it could go either "side" in the issue. One way or the other it plays into the hands of those who want to destroy the left or at least present FUD. Jesus, I am always repeating myself but at Seattle's WTO riots were not riots. I saw the "black bloc" people and they were peaceful. There were others amidst them. Infiltrated, I would say. It takes next to nothing to discredit the left. I have seen it first hand. The dude who was shot here at the dude's rally/speech at UW was originally reported as a BLM person, yeah, no.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:24 pm

The situation here is a powder keg. The whispers at the airport were just as overt as what happened in Berkeley, if not moreso. If one protestor is shot by a pig here, it's going to boil over.

https://phillyantifa.org/repression-on-south/
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby American Dream » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Depends on your social station and your political strategy, also.

Which Side Are You On?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSZWslqjfPE
American Dream

Postby brekin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:11 pm

American Dream » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:44 pm wrote:Depends on your social station and your political strategy, also.
Which Side Are You On?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSZWslqjfPE

Which side are you on? Pawns, and checkers, needed.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Postby American Dream » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:18 pm

Which side are you on refers to the ongoing struggle between the ruling/owning class and the working class, in which racialized people catch some of the worst shit.

Liberalism and electoral strategies do not necessarily correlate with white, middle class standing, but often do.
American Dream

Postby brekin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:30 pm

American Dream » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:18 pm wrote:Which side are you on refers to the ongoing struggle between the ruling/owning class and the working class, in which racialized people catch some of the worst shit.
Liberalism and electoral strategies do not necessarily correlate with white, middle class standing, but often do.

Funny, I didn't really see the struggle between the ruling/owning class and the working class in that video, but more a agitprop rap video inciting rioting. Throwing bricks doesn't seem like much of a strategy when we're all working for the Pharaoh.

Pharaoh
Pharaoh he sits in his tower of steel,
the dogs of money all at his heel.
Magicians cry "Oh truth! Oh real!"
We're all working for the Pharaoh

A thousand eyes, a thousand ears,
he feeds us all, he feeds our fears.
Don't stir in your sleep tonight, my dears,
we're all working for the Pharaoh.

It's Egypt land, Egypt land,
we're all living in Egypt land.
Tell me, brother, don't you understand?
We're all working for the Pharaoh

Hidden from the eye of chance,
the men of shadow dance a dance.
We're all struck into a trance,

The idols rise into the sky,
Pyramids soar, Sphinxes lie.
Head of dog, Osiris eye,

And it's Egypt land, Egypt land,
We're all working for the Pharaoh.

I dig a ditch, I shape a stone,
another battlement for his throne,
another day on earth is flown,

Call it England, you call it Spain,
Egypt rules with a whip and chain.
Moses free my people again,

And it's Egypt land, Egypt land,

Pharaoh he sits in his tower of steel,
around his feet the princes kneel.
Far beneath we shoulder the wheel,
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby American Dream » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:32 pm

I think you viewed that video through your own subjectivity and that you missed a great deal then. There were many, many references to social movements whose focus is not insurrectionary, although I would agree that a lot of militance was expressed in the video. That however is not necessarily the same as a "fuck shit up" mentality. I don't think that throwing bricks is much of a strategy at all, but you do Rebel Diaz and Dead Prez a real disservice if you reduce their orientation to anything approaching that.

Also, I would suggest that in a time of heightened social struggle- say, a general strike- there is a strong need for the people who do: peacemaking, social service, community building and other forms of reproductive labor, just as much as there is a need to "fight the Power." Ultimately, both roles can be highly complementary.

brekin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:30 pm wrote:Funny, I didn't really see the struggle between the ruling/owning class and the working class in that video, but more a agitprop rap video inciting rioting. Throwing bricks doesn't seem like much of a strategy when we're all working for the Pharaoh.
American Dream

Postby brekin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:50 pm

American Dream » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:32 pm wrote:I think you viewed that video through your own subjectivity and that you missed a great deal then. There were many, many references to social movements whose focus is not insurrectionary, although I would agree that a lot of militance was expressed in the video. That however is not necessarily the same as a "fuck shit up" mentality. I don't think that throwing bricks is much of a strategy at all, but you do Rebel Diaz and Dead Prez a real disservice if you reduce their orientation to anything approaching that.
Also, I would suggest that in a time of heightened social struggle- say, a general strike- there is a strong need for the people who do: peacemaking, social service, community building and other forms of reproductive labor, just as much as there is a need to "fight the Power." Ultimately, both roles can be highly complementary.

brekin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:30 pm wrote:Funny, I didn't really see the struggle between the ruling/owning class and the working class in that video, but more a agitprop rap video inciting rioting. Throwing bricks doesn't seem like much of a strategy when we're all working for the Pharaoh.

Sure there were references to social movements but I think you'd have to agree the tone of the piece was more of a Ragey Against the Machiney revolutionary/insurrectionist "fuck shit up" mentality. I think this a remix? Maybe the original is more "We Shall Overcome" but this definitely leans toward breaking shit. Even the Pete Seeger original version is insurrectionist where there is no compromise, no debate, no dialogue, about whether you choose a side, but that you choose a side. Kind of like war. Just calling it as I see it from my own subjectivity.
brekin

Next

Return to General Discussion