Video surfaces of Milo Yiannopoulos defending pedophilia

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Video surfaces of Milo Yiannopoulos defending pedophilia

Postby Jerky » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:50 pm

I just watched the video you linked to, Liminal, and... two points.

1. Milo is clearly a profoundly broken human being. I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm profoundly broken, myself. But I genuinely make an effort to ensure that my brokenness doesn't seep beyond me and into the lives of my neighbors, family, friends and acquaintances. Milo seems like he wants other people to suffer as he has suffered, or even maybe worse, so that he's not the most broken, suffering person he knows anymore.

2. His schtick has lost a both much of its shock AND almost all of its cover, post-Charlottesville, which I think has made Milo desperate.

I never thought it would come to this, but I almost feel sorry for him at this point.

J
Jerky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Video surfaces of Milo Yiannopoulos defending pedophilia

Postby American Dream » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Is It Okay to Be Gay (and in the Far-Right)?

Milo Yiannopoulos at the Republican National Convention Cleveland Ohio, USA, 21st July 2016

But how do people like Yiannopoulos – a gay man who harasses trans students on campuses – fit into the UK's radical right?

Historically, brief radical right acceptance of white gay men plays against a backdrop of institutionalised homophobia. The Nazis' momentary permissiveness of the gay Storm Battalion co-founder Ernst Rohm is a blip compared to the 50,000 homosexuals imprisoned and 15,000 homosexuals killed during the Holocaust. In 1999, neo-Nazi nail-bomber David Copeland attacked gay people, Bengali Muslims and black people with equal measures of hatred. Nicky Crane may have been a violent neo-Nazi secretly enjoying gay dalliances, but when he came out in 1992 he cast his political views aside, declaring them incompatible with his sexuality.

Then came 9/11, and a shifting – at least in the radical right's eyes – of the hierarchy of minorities. Here was an opportunity to knit together different factions of the right against a common enemy: Islam.

Just as the Taliban’s treatment of women was seized upon by the Bush administration and its supporters to justify the war on terror, its treatment of queer people was used to cast all Muslims as anti-gay. In 2009, a Gallup Centre for Muslim Studies report seemingly backed up the radical right's assertions: while 58 percent of the British general public thought homosexual acts were "morally acceptable", zero percent of British Muslims agreed.

Even the liberal press focused on this statistic: "Patriotic, respectful, homophobic", read The Independent’s summation. "Muslims in Britain have zero tolerance of homosexuality, says poll," said The Guardian. Right-wing outlets, still bothered about gays in the Anglican church and the impending doom of same-sex marriage, didn’t quite know where to pitch up.

The day of the shooting at Orlando's Pulse gay club in 2016, which killed 49 people, Yiannopoulos wrote an article for Breitbart titled "The Left Chose Islam Over Gays. Now 100 People Are Dead Or Maimed". In it, he describes the actions of an extremist as representing all of Islam, using the poll to back up his claims: "This isn't about 'radical' Islam. This isn't a tiny fringe," he writes. "In Britain, a 2009 Gallup survey found that not one Muslim believed that homosexual acts were acceptable. Not one!"

Days later, Yiannopoulos addressed a small crowd in a YouTube livestream, calling for a Muslim ban on that basis. "This is not radical Islam… this is Muslims in the West," he said, ignoring the fact that the same poll found that 19 percent of German Muslims and 35 percent of French Muslims thought homosexual acts were acceptable, implying countries with a longer legacy of Muslim immigration have more LGB-tolerant Muslims.

With that, the clash of civilisations narrative was set.

Weeks later, Donald Trump – whose campaign manager at the time was Stephen Bannon, then-CEO of Breitbart – became the first ever Republican nominee for the US presidency to mention LGBT people, using them as leverage to call for a Muslim immigration ban.

As Matthew Feldman – co-director of the Centre for Fascist, Anti-fascist and Post-fascist Studies, and Professor of the History of Modern Ideas at Teeside University – puts it: "The thinking is: 'If this is another stick to beat Muslims with, we'll take it. We’ll be silent on the LGBT question, we'll just talk about their rights in the abstract.'"

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/ywqd ... -far-right
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to General Discussion