High Chicken Weirdness!

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: High Chicken Wierdness!

Postby American Dream » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:09 am

There are lots and lots of serious problems embodied by that rubber chicken you pull from the freezer that was shipped over from Asia or wherever and may cost a bit less than the competition:

Industrial Production of Poultry Gives Rise to Deadly Strains of Bird Flu H5Nx

January 30, 2017
by Robert G. Wallace

Multiple outbreaks of deadly H5 bird flu are decimating poultry across Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.

The epidemic, moving across Eurasia in wave after wave, follows an eruption of H5N2 here in the U.S. in 2015. All the new strains—H5N2, H5N3, H5N5, H5N6, H5N8, and H5N9, together called H5Nx—are descendants of the H5N1 subtype that first emerged in China in 1997 and since 2003 has killed 452 people.

Big Poultry and its collaborators in government are blaming wild waterfowl, which act as reservoirs for many influenza strains, for the new poultry outbreaks.

A FACTORY CHICKEN FARM

...The immediate take-home is that we have here divergent ecological and evolutionary analyses converging upon the conclusion that the new H5Nx are increasingly influenzas adapted to intensively raised poultry. That is, a growing literature of scrupulously documented science is showing alarming trends that are beyond the control of agribusiness-funded research.

These findings are in stark contrast to the rosy narrative presented by extremely well-paid researchers backed by Big Poultry in what the University of Minnesota describes as the “Silicon Valley of food.” Those teams continue to blame anything and anyone for bird flu other than the economic model at the heart of industrial poultry production.

Farmers around the world, and the populations they feed, deserve better. Growers are bearing the economic costs of a model of production that supports pathogens deadly to poultry and potentially dangerous to humans. The new research showing a newly adapted influenza must be heeded and adopted for a fundamental change in public policy. Safer models of poultry production now being developed here in Minnesota and around the world must be supported before the next deadly pandemic sweeps the globe.

https://www.independentsciencenews.org/ ... -flu-h5nx/
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:13 am

dada » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:54 am wrote:For the last few years, I haven't been able to eat chicken or turkey without it making me ill. It can be a whole roast bird, chicken sausage, deli turkey, chicken anything. Free-range, grass fed, no antibiotics, doesn't matter. If a dish has chicken stock in it and I don't know, I'll get sick.

It's my own personal High Chicken Wierdness. Who becomes chicken/turkey intolerant? It isn't a bird thing, either, duck is fine. I can eat anything else, in fact, and usually do. Lamb, beef, pork, seafood... I have a cousin who hunts, had some great wild boar and venison this year. But no chicken or turkey.

Try some wild turkey as an experiment, but after that, throw all animal products in the river. Veganism is easier now more than ever.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby 82_28 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:21 am

If you're going to go wild turkey, try not to get a DUI. :wink

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby elfismiles » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:33 am

82_28 » 02 Mar 2017 14:07 wrote:I just wanted to fluff up the lettuce

LETTUCE FLUFFER!! :clown

elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Was that a keyword hijack?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:19 pm

I mentioned in the Global Warming thread about a project I worked on in California's San Joaquin Valley long ago in regard to using wood waste as a component of feed mixes for feedlot beef and dairy herds.

I also made mention that a large source of the protein in the corporate cattle feed (then at least, have no idea as to present) mixes came from chicken shit and feathers. Blech.

I grew up with chickens and don't like their personalities in general and ignore the true source of chicken and eggs in my diet.
PufPuf93

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:54 pm

okay, I finally clicked on this thread. Because it's always on top lately.

And here is all I have to say, a pittance: Weirdness! "i before e except after c" is one of the big lies they teach us, the exceptions are so many as to make it laughable.

Listen to Weird Al himself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby 82_28 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Welcome to the thread, Jack. I meant weirdness as in all the strange and gross uses of it these days in fast food joints and was wondering whether there was glut of chicken on the market -- which AD filled in nicely. I guess I could have named it a little different. But that is what I meant -- who would have ever dreamt these concoctions ever before?
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby dada » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:26 pm

JackRiddler » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:54 pm wrote:And here is all I have to say, a pittance: Weirdness! "i before e except after c" is one of the big lies they teach us, the exceptions are so many as to make it laughable.

See, I think the misspelling -in this case- makes it even weirder. I mean wierder. Gives it a sort of Lovecraftian warp. The High Chicken Weirdness thread is so weird, the thread title itself seems to be twisting through the non-euclidean geometry of R'lyeh.

So I went along with it. It wasn't easy, I even had to disobey the auto-correct. What a rush! Felt like a real rebel.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Re: High Chicken Weirdness!

Postby 82_28 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:40 pm

I pecked the title of the OP too quick. Unfortunately I know how to spell and HATE it when I fuck up. Spellcheck for some reason don't no work in the subject bar. Thus God did not intervene.

But yes, I did mean "peck" not pick. You know, just staying with the theme.
82_28

Postby Elvis » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:05 pm

I don't remember the topic but did you ever hear that "animal psychic" lady? I don't recall her name but she used to go on the old Art Bell show. Anyway, someone asked her if animals reincarnated as other species, and she told the story of a conversation she had with a chicken. She asked the chicken if they ever reincarnated as a different animal, and the chicken said (paraphrasing), "Hell no! Why would I do that? I love being a chicken!"

I buy chicken for my cat and bake it. I may have some chicken audio to contribute later.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Nordic » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:22 am

Wild Turkeys.

"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby semper occultus » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:02 am

semper occultus

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:35 am

Came here to post this high poultry weirdness.
Luther Blissett

Postby Burnt Hill » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Dear God, Why Are These Turkeys Circling a Dead Cat?
Mike Pearl
Mar 3 2017, 12:00am

Harvard bird cognition expert Irene Pepperberg (who mostly studies parrots), told me that, while they're more likely to do it around stuff like rocks and trees, "it's not totally uncommon for turkeys to circle things."

]According to Daniel A Cristol, an ornithologist at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, the whole thing was "very odd."

"They are following a leader, which is normal, but for some reason the leader is circling around the dead cat," Cristol wrote in an email. He could only offer speculation. One possible theory he offered was that the leader was literally keeping an eye on the cat. "Birds see out of only one eye for most of their visual field, so if they are walking and keeping something in view they will walk in a circle."

Cristol called it an emergent phenomenon—a system in which small units of life give way to some larger entity. In this case, we have "an emergent phenomenon that looks like some weird religious ceremony," Cristal told me.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/dear-god-why-are-these-turkeys-circling-a-dead-cat
Burnt Hill

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion