Weep Not for Milo...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Weep Not for Milo...

Postby American Dream » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:14 am

'DON'T Use Lesbian as a Slur!' and Other Edits to Milo Yiannopoulos's Book

Thanks to Yiannopoulos's $10 million lawsuit, you can now read the entire manuscript for free—alongside his editor's blistering commentary​.

"Smorgasbords don’t have bottoms."
"This entire paragraph is just repeating Fake News. There was NO blood, NO semen and there was NO Satanism. Delete."
"Be clear here, don't supercilious. Do you mean that semen is being mopped up? And that the gay men spilling their seed would have produced gay offspring? Because that isn't true."
"Let's not call South Africa 'white.'"
"'Autists' sounds like a mental-health slur."
"Make this point for real not with a obscure British joke."
"Stop spreading fake news. No couple—gay or straight has EVER wanted to serve pizza their wedding."
"This is a stupid way to end a terrible chapter."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/zmqm ... book-vgtrn
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby liminalOyster » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:00 pm

I love this story.

Good luck in court, Milo. /s
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:03 pm

It's not like it's that hard to tear apart Milo's facile arguments, and I usually shy away from such schadenfreude, but damn if I didn't get some smiles reading a conservative book editor call him on his bullshit.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby American Dream » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:06 am

Milos: All’s Not Well!

The original text attacks ‘feminists’ for being fat or owning cats, and fails to differentiate between bourgeois suffragettes, radical feminists or women in the 21st century who support the right to vote, work, and have social and sexual freedom…

https://malatesta32.wordpress.com/2017/ ... -not-well/
American Dream

Postby BenDhyan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 am

:shock:

Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby American Dream » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 am

Reading the Milo Manuscript

Yiannopoulos generates controversy and outrage the way a blowtorch throws sparks. His persona relies heavily on his sexual identity, which in a more innocent age we would have called “flamboyant” and left it at that. We are to suppose that his energetic gayness clashes with his right-wing politics, making for an exciting and unexpected combination, although it’s not clear, prima facie, why right-wingery and homosexuality should be irreconcilable. With his trademark mix of High Camp and Falangism, Yiannopoulos is a kind of alt-right Liberace, lacking only the candelabra and musical talent. Controversy is his daily meat. Even as his manuscript was being edited, many observers knew it was only a matter of time before Yiannopoulos gave Ivers and Threshold a reason to abandon the book, and him, thus getting the literary community off their backs.

And sure enough, in February of last year, with the book’s publication date just a month away, some industrious Milophobe discovered an old podcast that had somehow escaped everyone’s attention. In it Yiannopoulos made light of pedophilia and endorsed its salubrious, life-affirming effects on his own upbringing. (He says he had his first sexual encounter with an older man when he was 13.) The podcast lit up the Internet, and Yiannopoulos acknowledged that he had misspoken. He condemned pedophilia in the strongest possible terms. What he had been endorsing, he explained, was not pedophilia—the abuse of pre-pubescent children and a horror to every decent person. No, what he’d been endorsing was hebephilia, which he defined as sex between adolescents and adults. From now on, he promised to be more careful with his words.

This is when Bannon repudiated him and Breitbart News fired him.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/reading-t ... le/2011135
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:44 am

Antifa vs. Milo Yiannopoulos: Who won?

It’s been a year since anti-fascist protests shut down a Yiannopoulos gig at UC Berkeley, to much media criticism

MARK BRAY

The impact of the Berkeley demonstration and other anti-Milo protests is most obvious when we examine the trajectory of Yiannopoulos’s speaking engagements. From February 2016 through the infamous Berkeley incident on February 1, 2017, Yiannopoulos scheduled approximately 61 public speaking appearances (most for his “Dangerous Faggot Tour”). Of those 61, twelve were shut down by protesters or cancelled by administrators for security concerns. Notable examples other than Berkeley included Black Lives Matter protesters who confronted Yiannopoulos at DePaul University in May 2016 (a planned return to DePaul in September was cancelled by the administration) and students and allies at UC Davis who successfully blocked the entrance to an event Yiannopoulos had scheduled with Martin Shkreli in January 2017. Another seven of his talks were cancelled for logistical reasons. At least five of the 42 that occurred were interrupted in one way or another: Rutgers students smeared themselves with fake blood, UCLA students attempted to block the entrance to the event, and University of Minnesota, Twin Cities students interrupted him with air horns.

How did the media spectacle of bonfires and fireworks at Berkeley affect Yiannopoulos’s ability to organize future speaking engagements? Robert Schlesinger, writing in U.S. News & World Report, was confident back in February 2017 that the actions of “the masked vigilantes . . . no doubt guaranteed another dozen speaking engagements” for Yiannopoulos. Actually, he failed to deliver even that modest number of public talks over the next year. Though Yiannopoulos attempted to schedule about 16 public talks between February 2, 2017 and February 1, 2018, six of those planned talks were cancelled at universities like San Diego State or private venues like the Patio Theater in Chicago because of a mix of popular pressure and “security” concerns. The United Liberty Coalition attempted to bring Yiannopoulos to Phoenix, but they gave up after they were rejected by 62 different venues. Eight of his talks, including all seven in Australia, were listed as occurring in a “secret location” to deter protesters. One of the only openly advertised events Yiannopoulos managed to organize was the woeful “Free Speech Week” at Berkeley in September 2017, which collapsed into a 20-minute talk in front of an audience of 50-100.

This dramatic decline in his public appearances over the past year is directly correlated with the precedent set in February 2017 at Berkeley. Love it or hate it, images of targeted property destruction in northern California provided a powerful incentive for venues to avoid potential headaches.

Reasonable people will disagree about the influence of the Berkeley protest on Yiannopoulos’ plummet. What is not debatable, however, is that media predictions about the inevitable ascent of Milo Yiannopoulos after getting shut down in Berkeley were wrong. A year later, already banned from Twitter, Yiannopoulos now has no access to media platforms like Breitbart and the Daily Caller, no publisher for his books, no mega-donors to bankroll him and dwindling opportunities for public speaking. In an age of social media and 24-hour cable news cycles, Yiannopoulos is already old news. The short-lived nature of his stardom is even evident on Google Trends which shows that after spiking in early 2017, the frequency of subsequent Google searches for his name have plunged to 2016 levels.

Yet, this discussion misses the most crucial aspect of protests at Berkeley, Rutgers, DePaul, UCLA and other campuses. Pundits asked how protests would affect Milo Yiannopoulos’ public profile. They failed to ask more important questions: How do Yiannopoulos’ events and the rhetoric he spews endanger those he targets, and how can they fight back? How these protests affect Yiannopoulos (or other far-right figures like Richard Spencer or Ann Coulter) is interesting; how they affect resistance to the far right is essential. Lost in such debates is the astounding mobilization over recent years of a broad anti-racist movement encompassing Black Lives Matter groups, labor unions, faith communities, immigrants’ rights coalitions, anti-fascist networks, feminist collectives and LGBTQ organizations that will not just ignore attempts to make white supremacy great again. We must situate the property destruction at Berkeley, heckling at UMASS Amherst, the air horns at Minnesota, the blockade at UC Davis, and other acts of disruption within this process of movement-building to understand their full effect.

Strategic and tactical debates rage within these circles, as they do in all movements. But by smashing windows rather than allowing Yiannopoulos to out undocumented students, as Berkeley officials claimed he was about to do, by dousing oneself in fake blood rather than let him promote rape culture, by barricading the entrance to his event rather than give him an opportunity to verbally attack a transgender student (as he had at the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee), these students and their allies prioritized the safety of those under attack and expanded the range of tactics available to resist the far right.

More fundamental than the tactical repertoire, however, is a shared understanding that it is dangerous to allow the far right to normalize racism, xenophobia and homophobia (for even the openly gay Yiannopoulos penned an article title “Gay Rights have made us Dumber, It’s Time to Get Back in the Closet”). If we truly believe that Black Lives Matter, then we cannot accept the discursive legitimacy of anti-black racism that argues otherwise. If we are committed to taking seriously those who have spoken out to say #MeToo, then we cannot shrug off the anti-feminist promotion of patriarchal values as a simple difference of opinion. We may disagree about how to resist, but resist we must.

This requires expanding our view beyond the capriciousness of celebrity. As long as there is demand for outlandish misogyny or Islamophobia, the next Milo will step up to bask in the spotlight. Protest is not just about influencing an intended target, but building power.

More at: https://www.salon.com/2018/01/31/antifa ... s-who-won/
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Milo Yiannopoulos fans plot their revenge after his Arizona speech is canceled

March 02, 2018 Nick R. Martin

Fans of Milo Yiannopoulos were plotting to get back at liberals, antifa and even the local police on Thursday night after the alt-right figure announced the sudden cancelation of a speech he’d planned to give at a venue in Arizona.

The trouble began when Yiannopoulos posted a message on Facebook about 24 hours before the March 2 event, “A Night With Milo,” was scheduled to take place. Organizers had kept the name of the venue a secret while selling tickets to fans for as much as $129. They promised to reveal the location the day of the speech.

“URGENT NOTICE TO PHOENIX TICKET-HOLDERS,” his note said.

“Scottsdale Police informed the promotor and venue for Friday night’s ‘A Night With Milo’ this evening that a credible death threat against my person has been received,” Yiannopoulos wrote. He went on to blame “violent left-wing tactics” for the cancelation, but said that law enforcement in the ritzy Phoenix suburb of Scottsdale had determined his security had been compromised and the risk to his life was real.

“Consequently, the police have forbidden us from proceeding with this event,” he wrote. “We have no recourse when police make a ruling of that sort.”

There was a problem, though: Scottsdale police said they’d never received word of any threats against Yiannopoulos. In fact, Sgt. Ben Hoster of the Scottsdale Police Department told Phoenix talk radio station KTAR that the department had only learned of the event earlier on Thursday. And by the time someone from the department reached out to the venue, the speech had already been canceled.

“At that point, we concluded our inquiry into the event,” Hoster told KTAR.

The blame game had already begun, though. Yiannopoulos’s fans spent hours on Facebook page looking for a culprit. Someone other than Yiannopoulos, of course.

Antifa groups were behind this, they claimed. Or else leftists, commies or liberals. Perhaps the police were lying, they speculated. Or the journalists who quoted the police.

A person using the name Zach Young had an idea, which he posted in a since-deleted thread on the event’s Facebook page, to solve the problem. He heralded the late Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet, whose regime tortured and killed opponents, purged those with left-leaning views and instituted an authoritarian government.

Continues at: https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... h-canceled
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:42 pm

The Most Scathing Editor Comments From Milo Yiannopoulos’ Manuscript

DELETE UGH.

Comment [A3]: Avoid parenthetical insults—they just diminish your authority. Throughout the book you’re [sic] best points seem to be lost in a sea of self-aggrandizement and scattershot thinking.

Comment [A185]: This is definitely not the place for more of your narcissism.

Comment [A293]: …You can’t just toss out poorly thought out theories about “going back into the closet,” as you might in a college lecture.

Comment [A407]: Tiresome and off the point.

Comment [A418]: The whole chapter is a problem in tone. Your usual style NEGATES any value your information might have.

Comment [A424]: Ego and self-aggrandizement backfire in book.

More: https://slate.com/arts/2017/12/the-best ... erous.html
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Tue May 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Group linked to far right government invites Milo Yiannopoulos to Hungary

May 08, 2018 Hatewatch Staff

The far-right provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos has been invited to speak by a group funded by the Hungarian government this month.

Yiannopoulos will be delivering a speech at the Public Foundation for the Research of Central and East European History and Society, a group dedicated to protecting the country’s “educational and cultural goods.” The group is sponsored by the heavily anti-immigrant, far-right Fidesz party currently in power in Hungary, which was re-elected for a third term last month.

A longtime mainstreamer of racist “alt-right” ideas, Yiannopoulos had been invited to speak in Hungary by the same group in January. However, the event — discussing “The Future of Europe” — was postponed until after the Hungarian elections, amid widespread outrage in the country.

On April 8, Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orbán swept to electoral victory. Despite only winning 47% of the popular vote in the country, his Fidesz party secured 133 of the parliament’s 199 seats, a full two-thirds. The strongman has vowed to become the voice of illiberal democracy in Europe and said he would use his third mandate to further crack down on immigrants and immigrant rights organizations in the country.

“Milo’s invitation and the fact that Steve Bannon considers Orbán ‘the most significant guy on the scene’ on the far right today illustrates that, despite the fact that Orbán’s party is a member of the mainstream European conservative party family in the European Union, his biggest fans are somewhere in the international far right,” András Bíró-Nagy, a Hungarian political analyst at Policy Solutions, tells Hatewatch.

Orbán, who has long opposed the European Union’s refugee resettlement plan and who is a popular voice for the anti-immigrant movement in Europe, vowed to pass “Stop Soros” measures. His massive anti-Soros campaign, which accused opposition candidates of plotting with the American billionaire philanthropist to turn Hungary into an immigrant country, played on antisemitic tropes. This is a popular move in a country where a third of the population holds “strong or moderate” antisemitic beliefs.

With an overwhelming majority in parliament, the government has the majority it needs to pass any legislation it desires, including constitutional amendments. Apparently, with the election now behind it, the party is now free to invite far-right trolls from overseas.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... os-hungary
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:32 pm

"If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything."
-Malcolm X
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Apparently, some people have told Milo that his extravagant lifestyle has contributed to his downfall. To these people, Milo says: "All I ever read here is criticism and ingratitude. You guys have no idea what I have sacrificed for you, and you think just because I drown my sorrows with a few expensive bottles of wine, you're justified in calling me lazy and self-involved."

As a side note, just this Thursday, Milo shared on Facebook a restaurant bill he amassed.

https://www.salon.com/2018/08/26/milo-y ... nancially/
American Dream

Postby 82_28 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:29 pm

I'm trying to figure out what it existentially means on a tab like that that only $44 went to liquor. Yes, as an ex bartender, that is one fucked up tab in the sense of amount and almost none of it to liquor whatsoever. Nothing tin foil hat weird but weird knowing what I know about Milo. Anyway, weird tab. Any word on what he tipped?

EDIT: I have told this tale before, but my username here of 82_28 is because I had three straight days of my cash turn in at a bar that I mostly dealt in credit being $82.28. Too good of a coincidence to pass up. Also as justdrew pointed out and I had not thought about it because I actually used it because of all the PKD I was reading then that those were the year dates of his birth and death. Had no idea, but somehow it happened. I look at restaurant bills in a weird way I think. I think of all the idiosyncrasies of how it adds up on strange tabs. This one isn't too strange but $44 is a weird small amount.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby chump » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:39 pm

$1050.56
chump

Postby 82_28 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:44 pm

15% cheap ass motherfucker. :wink
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion