The Russian Conspiracy as RI subject

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Russian Conspiracy as RI subject

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:37 am

Thanks Elvis. :thumbsup

Lest we forget, Trump's biggest impact on the Obama presidency was trying to legitimize an inane Manchurian candidate theory. I'm sure the "pee-pee tape" thing really irks him, but I imagine emasculation via "Russiagate" makes him fucking batty. You reap what you sow, I suppose.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby overcoming hope » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:07 pm

Hindsight shows how often yesterday's so-called truth may become today's absurdity. Real ability is to respect relative truth without damaging oneself by refusing to realize that it will be superseded. When you observe that today's controversies often reveal not relevance but the clash of the untaught with the wrongly taught, and when you can endure this knowledge without cynicism, as a lover of humankind, greater compensations will be open to you than a sense of your own importance or satisfaction in thinking about the unreliability of others.

Idries Shah
overcoming hope

Postby Rory » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:05 pm

IMG_20181019_063610.jpg

This is the real russia conspiracy, right there. Ass covering misdirection as irresponsible and dangerous as it comes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:07 pm

link please
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:39 pm

Indeed, link.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Looks like this is it: https://nypost.com/2017/10/26/how-team- ... on-russia/

“Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton’s Doomed Campaign,” by Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes

https://www.vox.com/authors/jonathan-allen
liminalOyster

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Yes, very good. I recall it now. Year and a half after that book, which looked very interesting from the excerpts, the thing's not dead yet, but the shambling has gotten pretty zombie-ish. Note also that the Brazile revelations about the DNC sank, even though she's an ideal crown witness. (Unfortunately also a clown; wasn't she on a bipartisan love speaking tour with Sarah Palin or something?)

With some luck Mueller will nail The Kush and Don Jr. on perjury and money laundering, and refer financial and business fraud charges to other prosecutors. And with more luck this will actually damage the regime. It probably will, since Twittler will go wild and mouth off until he implicates himself in something. Subpoenas of the tax returns and company documents can help.

Point is, it will take another six months or a year before most of the Russiagaters finally notice there's barely any Russia in it. It will take 10 years before the IRA stuff assumes its proper role of being as crazy as any Red Scare myth. And that's only if any semblance of rational discourse remains.

Insofar as some of the mobsters making use of Trump money-laundering services happen to be Russian (I forgot that guy's name again who bought a Trump Palm Beach property for like 2.5 times the price), it may always be treated as though Putin's in charge of all and GRU steered the entire Manchurian candidate starting in 2011, or 1987, or whatever Louise Mensch says.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/05/03/how-the-russia-spin-got-so-much-torque/

http://www.counterpunch.org

MAY 3, 2017

How the Russia Spin Got So Much Torque

by NORMAN SOLOMON

A new book about Hillary Clinton’s last campaign for president — Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton’s Doomed Campaign by journalists Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes — has gotten a lot of publicity since it appeared two weeks ago. But major media have ignored a revealing passage near the end of the book.

Soon after Clinton’s defeat, top strategists decided where to place the blame. “Within 24 hours of her concession speech,” the authors report, campaign manager Robby Mook and campaign chair John Podesta “assembled her communications team at the Brooklyn headquarters to engineer the case that the election wasn’t entirely on the up-and-up. For a couple of hours, with Shake Shack containers littering the room, they went over the script they would pitch to the press and the public. Already, Russian hacking was the centerpiece of the argument.”

Six months later, that centerpiece of the argument is rampant — with claims often lurching from unsubstantiated overreach to outright demagoguery.

A lavishly-funded example is the “Moscow Project,” a mega-spin effort that surfaced in midwinter as a project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund. It’s led by Neera Tanden, a self-described “loyal soldier” for Clinton who also runs the Center for American Progress (where she succeeded Podesta as president). The Center’s board includes several billionaires.

The “Moscow Project” is expressly inclined to go over the top, aiming to help normalize ultra-partisan conjectures as supposedly factual. And so, the homepage of the “Moscow Project” prominently declares: “GivenTrump’s obedience to Vladimir Putin and the deep ties between his advisers and the Kremlin, Russia’s actions are a significant and ongoing cause for concern.”

Let’s freeze-frame how that sentence begins: “Given Trump’s obedience to Vladimir Putin.” It’s a jaw-dropping claim; a preposterous smear.

Echoes of such tactics can be heard from many Democrats in Congress and from allied media. Along the way, no outlet has been more in sync than MSNBC, and no one on the network has been more promotional of the Russia-runs-Trump meme than Rachel Maddow, tirelessly promoting the line and sometimes connecting dots in Glenn Beck fashion to the point of journalistic malpractice.

Yet last year, notably without success, the Clinton campaign devoted plenty of its messaging to the Trump-Russia theme. As the “Shattered” book notes, “Hillary would raise the issue herself repeatedly in debates” with Trump. For example, in one of those debates she said: “We have 17 — 17 — intelligence agencies, civilian and military, who have all concluded that these espionage attacks, these cyber attacks, come from the highest levels of the Kremlin and they are designed to influence our election.”

After Trump’s election triumph, the top tier of Clinton strategists quickly moved to seize as much of the narrative as they could, surely mindful of what George Orwell observed: “Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past.” After all, they hardly wanted the public discourse to dwell on Clinton’s lack of voter appeal because of her deep ties to Wall Street. Political recriminations would be much better focused on the Russian government.

In early spring, the former communications director of the 2016 Clinton presidential campaign, Jennifer Palmieri, summed up the post-election approach neatly in a Washington Post opinion article: “If we make plain that what Russia has done is nothing less than an attack on our republic, the public will be with us. And the more we talk about it, the more they’ll be with us.”

The inability of top Clinton operatives to identify with the non-wealthy is so tenacious that they still want to assume “the public will be with us” the more they talk about Russia Russia Russia. Imagine sitting at a kitchen table with average-income voters who are worried sick about their financial futures — and explaining to them that the biggest threat they face is from the Kremlin rather than from U.S. government policies that benefit the rich and corporate America at their expense.

Tone deaf hardly describes the severe political impairment of those who insist that denouncing Russia will be key to the Democratic Party’s political fortunes in 2018 and 2020. But the top-down pressure for conformity among elected Democrats is enormous and effective.

One of the most promising progressives to arrive in Congress this year, Rep. Jamie Raskin from the Maryland suburbs of D.C., promptly drank what might be called the “Klinton Kremlin Kool-Aid.” His official website features an article about a town-hall meeting that quotes him describing Trump as a “hoax perpetrated by the Russians on the United States of America.”

Like hundreds of other Democrats on Capitol Hill, Raskin is on message with talking points from the party leadership. That came across in an email that he recently sent to supporters for a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee fundraiser. It said: “We pull the curtain back further each day on the Russian Connection, forcing National Security Adviser Michael Flynn to resign, Attorney General Sessions to recuse, and America to reflect on who’s calling the shots in Washington.”

You might think that Wall Street, big banks, hugely funded lobbyists, fat-check campaign contributors, the fossil fuel industry, insurance companies, military contractors and the like are calling the shots in Washington. Maybe you didn’t get the memo.

Norman Solomon is executive director of the Institute for Public Accuracy, where he coordinates ExposeFacts. Solomon is a co-founder of RootsAction.org.

Last edited by JackRiddler on Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:37 pm

JackRiddler » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:01 pm wrote:.

or whatever Louise Mensch says.

I'm not (really) a Jew but even I am offended by whatever hidden synchromystical hand so named her.

One thing is for sure - Manchuria and its candidates are here to stay, in whatsoever form they may take next.
liminalOyster

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:21 pm

It's a hazard. Maybe she's a Menschurian Candidate?

No one's spinning a World Greek Conspiracy out of Pete Peterson, Jamie Dimon and the Negropontes. Has kind of always disappointed me. Think of all the Cultural Marxism spread by Arianna Huffington, and on the TV by Tina Fey during her 20 years running the generation-defining institutions of SNL and 30 Rock. Isn't Plato enough of an advocate of totalitarian utopias for people to finally get it? Alas, half of those who can even name these conspirators probably think they're Jewish. We just get no respect.

JackRiddler

Postby Elvis » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:50 pm

JackRiddler wrote:https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/05/03/how-the-russia-spin-got-so-much-torque/

http://www.counterpunch.org

MAY 3, 2017

How the Russia Spin Got So Much Torque

by NORMAN SOLOMON

Spot-on analysis so very well expressed. Thank you.

By the way, an earlier post points out that "Estimated IRA spending for Facebook ads before the 2016 U.S. election, assuming it was one-half: ~$50,000," and "Total posts on Facebook by IRA in 2015-2017: ~80,000."

By way of comparison, Cambridge Analytica spent at least $1,000,000 on its Facebook election-meddling efforts (maybe as much as $5,000,000) while accessing & exploiting data of (latest estimate) 70,000,000 Facebook users.

Cambridge Analytica was a British company. By the DNC and MSM pundit logic, shouldn't the U.S. impose sanctions on the UK for its election meddling—tanatamount to an "act of war" on our republic (etc. and so on ad nauseum)?

No? Why not? Because Great Britian is not standing in the way of U.S. imperialist aims?

Another case of masking real USUK motivations with sham issues.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby liminalOyster » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:35 am

JackRiddler » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:21 pm wrote:.

It's a hazard. Maybe she's a Menschurian Candidate?

No one's spinning a World Greek Conspiracy out of Pete Peterson, Jamie Dimon and the Negropontes. Has kind of always disappointed me. Think of all the Cultural Marxism spread by Arianna Huffington, and on the TV by Tina Fey during her 20 years running the generation-defining institutions of SNL and 30 Rock. Isn't Plato enough of an advocate of totalitarian utopias for people to finally get it? Alas, half of those who can even name these conspirators probably think they're Jewish. We just get no respect.

There's a war on for your mind, cousin.

liminalOyster

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:08 am

There's a war on for your mind, cousin.

Today's issue of the NY Times published the first of a three-part video series on "The KGB Spies Who Invented Fake News" Operation Infektion (15:37).

https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000006210828/russia-disinformation-fake-news.html

I still don't know the truth of the matter, whether the Russians did or didn't influence our '16 election, but it appears to me they did. As to whether or not the Russians attempted to compromise Trump to his personal and political profit and theirs, it seems unlikely they wouldn't at least attempt to with such a man of low intellect and morality.

The Russians are indeed better than the US at some things, like building rocket engines; perhaps we are not as good at spreading disinfo as they? Any here who would believe that?
Iamwhomiam

Postby liminalOyster » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Iamwhomiam » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:08 am wrote:The Russians are indeed better than the US at some things, like building rocket engines; perhaps we are not as good at spreading disinfo as they? Any here who would believe that?

IMO, that's the essence of the myth and always has been: that our "liberal" nationalism retains a moral germ and theirs does not. The comparison viz industrial/technological capacity subtly bolsters that, for me - they've got the brains but we've got the heart/spirt. To a degree the Putin/Aspergers gossip adds to that, no? He's technically great but just sort of *off*.... Even Trump has to be a bad, bad man (which he probably is, yes) but never just an idiot or disordered tragedy.

It's overly pith but I've always found it helpful to assume that those things levied at Russia/USSR during any period of heightened tension during the past six decades are often explicit projection/hangout and so some of the best opportunities to learn about our own secrets.

also, PS: it's really nice to see you posting and I hope things are well!
liminalOyster

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Iamwhomiam » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:08 am wrote:"The KGB Spies Who Invented Fake News" Operation Infektion

I will be missing it because the headline is so fucking offensive.

Last edited by JackRiddler on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackRiddler

Postby overcoming hope » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:32 pm

The Russians are indeed better than the US at some things, like building rocket engines; perhaps we are not as good at spreading disinfo as they? Any here who would believe that?

In my opinion America is second to none when it comes to public relations. The fact that we spread our world view so successfully through movies, television and entertainment isn't a fluke. I believe America has the most subtle, sophisticated and evolved PR in the world and whoever is in 2nd place isn't even close. Everyone on this board, myself included, are many steps behind understanding exactly how our views are being shaped. Again I can't state this strongly enough, with my whole being I believe America is the absolute king of propaganda, and of course the local population is the target for the vast majority of this disinformation. I am in awe of the masterful divide and conquer that occurs here.
overcoming hope

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion