The Russian Conspiracy as RI subject

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Russian Conspiracy as RI subject

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:06 pm

Marionumber1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:17 pm wrote:It's the exact same practice that "conspiracy theorists" are criticized for, where any evidence against the conspiracy gets spun into evidence for the conspiracy. The claims of true believers can never be disproven.

Absolutely. It's happened enough times that I can't even remember specifics of the last one, which was just a couple of weeks ago. Would have to trawl through multiple threads, I'm sure I posted it here.

BUT, I THINK THIS QUESTION MATTERS:

What is it when this practice is fed by a source claiming to be CIA, publishing self-evident nonsense in a for-profit outlet?

This in turn made me look up who owns Politico. It's funny.

Politico - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politico

Industry News media
Founded January 23, 2007; 11 years ago (as The Politico)
Headquarters Arlington County, Virginia, U.S.
Key people
Robert L. Allbritton (executive chairman)[1]
Joyce Lui (CFO)[1]
John F. Harris (publisher & editor-in-chief)[1]
Carrie Budoff Brown (editor)
Poppy MacDonald (President, US)[1] Bobby Moran (CRO)
Products Politico (newspaper)
Politico Magazine (bimonthly magazine)
Politico.com (website)
Politico Europe (newspaper)
Politico.eu (website)
Owner Capitol News Company
Number of employees
500 (2017)[2]

Origins, style, and growth.
John F. Harris and Jim VandeHei left The Washington Post to become Politico's editor-in-chief and executive editor, respectively. With the financial backing of Robert L. Allbritton, the pair launched the website on January 23, 2007.[4][5] Their first hire was Mike Allen, a writer for Time,[6] and Frederick J. Ryan Jr. served as its first president and chief executive officer.[7]

Who's Allbritton? His wiki page makes clear he's a guy born into money who therefore

Allbritton also served as the Chairman and CEO of Allbritton Communications, which owned several ABC-affiliated television stations in Washington, D.C.[4] Allbritton was previously the CEO of Riggs National Corporation, the parent of Riggs Bank, from 2001 to 2005.[5] Allbritton has been described by The New Republic as having "reshaped the way we follow politics."[6] He is a Trustee of the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum.[7]

In October 2011, Allbritton was included on The New Republic's list of Washington's most powerful, least famous people.[8]

thanks to his father Joe Allbritton, who back in the 1950s made a quick real estate fortune in Houston before buying a DC paper and...

From 1981 to 2001, he was chairman of Riggs Bank, when he resigned, due to prostate cancer.[4]

RIGGS!!!

This is like cartoonland. This is like you said to me, what's the spookiest bank, and I said Nugan Hand or BCCI, and you said: No, spookier!

So Allbritton the younger was in charge and oversaw the sale of Riggs bank to PNC after the exposure of its money laundering and Saudi-9/11 scandal. This is after more than 100 years as the Washington DC bank for presidents and spooks. No kidding.

We surely have a Riggs thread here?

I guess I won't have to do that thing, when one takes the absence of a spook connection as evidence there must be a hidden one. :eeyaa

Why Mockingbird, when you can just own, right?

Byline for the bilge is

Alex Finley is the pen name of a former CIA officer and author of Victor in the Rubble, a satire of the CIA and the war on terror. Follow her on Twitter: @alexzfinley.

Similarly stuff from natsec reporter for Politico, Jack Shafer, was highlighted here just a couple of days ago for his particularly low-grade and confusionist disinfo.

Last edited by JackRiddler on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Grizzly » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:58 pm

President Bush's uncle Jonathan Bush and the Riggs Bank $25 million fine for a "willful, systemic" violation of anti-money-laundering laws.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/green/news/2004/06/24/878/the-complete-saudi-primer/

CONNECTION – JONATHAN BUSH AND RIGGS: Jonathan Bush, President Bush's uncle, was appointed CEO of Riggs Bank's investment arm in May of 2000, just months after his nephew secured the nomination for the presidency. At the time of the appointment, Jonathan Bush had already become a major financial backer of his nephew, rising to "Bush Pioneer" status by raising more than $100,000 for his nephew in 2000. The move solidified the relationship between Jonathan Bush and Riggs, which was originally initiated in 1997 when, according to American Banker newsletter, Riggs paid Bush $5.5 million for his smaller investment firm. That transaction, according to the NYT, "deepened [Riggs's] links to the Bushes." While Riggs denies any connection between Bush and the accounts being investigated in the money laundering probe, Riggs President Timothy Lex told the Washington Times in 1997 that "there's a blurring of distinctions between banks, mutual-fund families, broker dealers and everything else across the board."

Scrubbed from the surveillance platform otherwise known as Alphabet/Goggle
All hail the elite!

But hey!

Hillary Says Russia Controls Most Of The World

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Rory » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:01 pm

SmartSelect_20181129-160023_Twitter.jpg

https://twitter.com/27khv/status/106828 ... 55713?s=19
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:53 am

The Guardian/Politico Psyop Against WikiLeaks
December 1, 2018 • 24 Comments

The claims made by Luke Harding and The Guardian that Assange met Manafort will never be proven true, and they know it. And we should never let them forget it, says Caitlin Johnstone.

By Caitlin Johnstone
Caitlinjohnstone.com

For the first few hours after any new “bombshell” Russia-gate story comes out, my social media notifications always light up with poorly written posts by liberal establishment loyalists saying things like “HAHAHA @caitoz this proves you wrong now will you FINALLY stop denying Russian collusion???” Then, when people start actually analyzing that story and noting that it comes nowhere remotely close to proving that Donald Trump colluded with the Russian government to steal the 2016 election, those same people always forget to come back afterward and admit to me that they were wrong again.

This happens every single time, including this past Tuesday when The Guardian published a new “bombshell” report saying that former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort had had secret meetings with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. When experts all across the political spectrum began pointing out that the story contained no evidence for its nonsensical claims and was entirely anonymously sourced, nobody ever came back and said “Hey sorry for calling you a Russian propagandist, Caitlin; turns out that story wasn’t as fact-based as I’d thought!” When evidence for a single one of the article’s claims failed to turn up for a day, then two days, then three days, nobody came back and said “Gosh Caitlin, I owe you an apology for mocking you and calling you Assange’s bitch; turns out WikiLeaks and Manafort are suing that publication and its claims remain completely unproven.”

And of course they didn’t. They weren’t meant to. They were meant to absorb The Guardian’s false claims as fact, add it to their Gish gallop mountain of false evidence for Trump-Russia-WikiLeaks collusion, and then be shuffled onward by the relentless news churn of the corporate propaganda matrix like always. But I’m never going to let them forget that this happened, and neither should you.

Desperate Overreach

If it wasn’t obvious to you last week that there is an unelected power establishment which needs above all else to control the public narrative about what’s going on in the world, it should certainly be obvious to you this week. The Guardian hit piece was so spectacularly desperate in its over-reaching to advance a narrative which has been used to manufacture support for longtime CIA/MI6 agendas like arresting Julian Assange, stopping WikiLeaks, censoring the internet and subverting Russia that it completely exposed itself as the establishment psyop firm that it is.

If that wasn’t evidence enough, in the wake of the Guardian controversy, Politico took the downright shocking step of allowing an anonymous former CIA officer to publish a lie-filled article speculating, on no evidence whatsoever, that if the story proves untrue it will be because false information was fed to the Guardian by Russia-linked operatives. The article’s anonymous author claims that there are exactly two main possibilities here: (1) that the article is 100% true and will be vindicated, or (2) that the article is based on disinformation which was planted in “an attempt to make [Guardian author Luke] Harding look bad.”

This is obviously absurd for two reasons. The first reason is because no Kremlin operative could possibly make Luke Harding look worse than Luke Harding already did in his pathetic, fumbling attempts to argue his case for collusion while promoting his book Collusion to a less-than-sycophantic interviewer in December of last year, in which Harding grew frustrated and hung up on his own interview. The second reason is that there is another far more likely possibility than the two offered by Politico’s anonymous spook.

Former Guardian employee Jonathan Cook explains that from what he learned while working at the outlet, the most likely explanation is that the editors permitted the article to be published because its anonymous sources came from within an intelligence or defense agency. As we’ve seen time and time again, from the Iraq WMD narrative to the Russian hacking narrative, western mass media outlets have a ubiquitous standing policy of printing assertions by opaque, dishonest, unaccountable government agencies as objective fact. When asked why she unquestioningly printed a false assertion that real social media users who deny any connection to Russia were Russian “bots”, the Guardian’s own political editor Heather Stewart unapologetically stated, “It’s not my analysis?—?as the piece makes quite clear?—?it’s the government’s.” As long as it comes from the government, the mass media stenographers will print what they’re told to print. But tell me more about how awful RT is because it’s “state media”.

Cook writes as follows:

“I worked for The Guardian for a number of years, and know well the layers of checks that any highly sensitive story has to go through before publication. In that lengthy process, a variety of commissioning editors, lawyers, backbench editors and the editor herself, Kath Viner, would normally insist on cuts to anything that could not be rigorously defended and corroborated.

“And yet this piece seems to have been casually waved through, given a green light even though its profound shortcomings were evident to a range of well-placed analysts and journalists from the outset.

“That at the very least hints that the Guardian thought they had ‘insurance’ on this story. And the only people who could have promised that kind of insurance are the security and intelligence services?—?presumably of Britain, the United States and / or Ecuador.

“It appears the Guardian has simply taken this story, provided by spooks, at face value.”

A Glimpse Behind the Curtain

The claims made by Luke Harding and The Guardian will never be proven true, and they know it. They knowingly printed claims that they were one hundred percent aware they’d never be able to provide proof of, and the clicks their viral story generated rewarded them with a shower of cash. Their fake story was then passed along by news outlets everywhere, including an MSNBC panel which hilariously kept informing its readers that if this Guardian report is confirmed it would be the first ever actual evidence linking Trump to WikiLeaks in a meaningful way.

We must never forget that this was done. We must keep bringing up the undeniable fact that The Guardian published false claims about a longtime target of western intelligence and defense agencies, then was backed up by a longtime insider from one of those agencies who was permitted to publish anonymously in an ostensibly unrelated outlet. This is one of those jaw-dropping glimpses behind the puppet stage we must never permit the world to forget, much like the time CNN knowingly staged a fake interview with a Syrian girl reciting scripted war propaganda. We must keep bringing this up at every opportunity in our efforts to give people glimpses behind the propaganda curtain, continuing to remind them next week, next month, next year, and ten years from now.

Forgiveness is overrated. Forgiveness is a key foundational element in most abusive relationships, wherein the abusee is manipulated or bullied into forgiving the abuser again and again, without ever holding a grudge. This is true of a battered spouse, and it is true of an oppressed populace. The ability to hold a grudge is therefore of paramount importance in fighting the propaganda machine on which our rulers have built their oppressive empire. Otherwise we will be shuffled forward in the news churn, just like the goldfish-brained Russia-gaters who are moved along from one false story to the next into the amnesia of the endlessly spewing news churn.

Don’t forget. Remember this one. Remember it, and keep bringing it up.

https://consortiumnews.com/2018/12/01/t ... wikileaks/
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby bks » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:37 am

JackRiddler » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:57 pm wrote:I am all for the new thread but we need this one.

This latest miniturn is of a hilarious species we've seen before: Even when it turns out a #Russiagate story is fabricated, it's still the Russians at fault. It must have been Russians who done this (by infiltrating the CIA's allied service in Ecuador? shhhh, stop thinking so much) to undermine faith in household name Luke Harding, revered throughout America, one of the great pillars of the public's faith in the media. Also, he invented the polio vaccine, so the Russians just had to take him down.

This is a telling turn. It's a parallel of the paranoid processes at work on the right to insulate themselves against charges of racism. They aren't racist, because it's IMPOSSIBLE THAT THEY COULD BE racist and so if you think you are racist they YOU'RE THE RACIST.

But don't miss the truly new development. Some liberal true believers feel as I just described. But #Russiagate marks the willingness of elites to appropriate conspiracy tropes (as in the Politico article) as instruments for moving public opinion. That is, unlike conspiracy theorists who typically believe a lot of the false garbage they spout despite the presentation of contrary evidence, liberal #Russiagaters are now on board with simulating conspiracy belief in order to keep the ball rolling. They don't believe that Harding was targeted, but it's valuable to say that he might have been, so they say he might have been. I think that's relatively new. There are other examples I'm collecting too, like Howard Dean wondering out loud whether Greenwald is funded by the Russians. Everyone knows, including Howard Dean, how Greenwald is funded. But the point is that you can be a former chairman of the DNC and use conspiracist language without anyone being upset with you any longer.
bks

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:06 pm

bks » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:37 am wrote:
JackRiddler » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:57 pm wrote:I am all for the new thread but we need this one.

This latest miniturn is of a hilarious species we've seen before: Even when it turns out a #Russiagate story is fabricated, it's still the Russians at fault. It must have been Russians who done this (by infiltrating the CIA's allied service in Ecuador? shhhh, stop thinking so much) to undermine faith in household name Luke Harding, revered throughout America, one of the great pillars of the public's faith in the media. Also, he invented the polio vaccine, so the Russians just had to take him down.

This is a telling turn. It's a parallel of the paranoid processes at work on the right to insulate themselves against charges of racism. They aren't racist, because it's IMPOSSIBLE THAT THEY COULD BE racist and so if you think you are racist they YOU'RE THE RACIST.

But don't miss the truly new development. Some liberal true believers feel as I just described. But #Russiagate marks the willingness of elites to appropriate conspiracy tropes (as in the Politico article) as instruments for moving public opinion. That is, unlike conspiracy theorists who typically believe a lot of the false garbage they spout despite the presentation of contrary evidence, liberal #Russiagaters are now on board with simulating conspiracy belief in order to keep the ball rolling. They don't believe that Harding was targeted, but it's valuable to say that he might have been, so they say he might have been. I think that's relatively new. There are other examples I'm collecting too, like Howard Dean wondering out loud whether Greenwald is funded by the Russians. Everyone knows, including Howard Dean, how Greenwald is funded. But the point is that you can be a former chairman of the DNC and use conspiracist language without anyone being upset with you any longer.

Yes and yes. This is part of what I thought made #pizzagate so important - that monstrosity looks very much like it was a deliberate fiction with a great deal of thought put into it. I really believe that "they" (really meaning PR, strategists, etc) were watching very closely over the past decade and they know how this works (paranoia, ct, etc). And its being used masterfully.
liminalOyster

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:28 pm

bks » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:37 am wrote:But don't miss the truly new development. Some liberal true believers feel as I just described. But #Russiagate marks the willingness of elites to appropriate conspiracy tropes (as in the Politico article) as instruments for moving public opinion. That is, unlike conspiracy theorists who typically believe a lot of the false garbage they spout despite the presentation of contrary evidence, liberal #Russiagaters are now on board with simulating conspiracy belief in order to keep the ball rolling. They don't believe that Harding was targeted, but it's valuable to say that he might have been, so they say he might have been. I think that's relatively new. There are other examples I'm collecting too, like Howard Dean wondering out loud whether Greenwald is funded by the Russians. Everyone knows, including Howard Dean, how Greenwald is funded. But the point is that you can be a former chairman of the DNC and use conspiracist language without anyone being upset with you any longer.

Hi!

Yes, this is what I was agreeing with (but not detailing) in the first post on this page, above. The difference between believing something unlikely as against professional promotion of "conspiracy theory" by official sources, intentionally using all the fallacies usually decried so as to sell papers-clicks-views (just like Alex Jones!) or buttress a propaganda objective.

I'd argue more for a revival than that it's new. Leaving aside its frequent use in other states, we saw this on an even larger scale during the early Cold War anti-Communism. There was more belief in the Communist conspiracy among the government officials, corporate media, and other institutional leaders purveying accusations then, but by no means was it fully so. For the most part they understood they were engaging in a kind of required purge and had best go along to get along. The trade union executives pretty clearly were happy to eliminate the Communist infiltration and protect themselves, and did not believe in that shit. FBI and Red Squad cops probably understood how often they were just making shit up to get charges. Etc.

Ever since then, it has remained acceptable to accuse foreign countries, especially "enemies" like Russia, Cuba, Iraq, Iran, etc., of sometimes totally incredible and complex plots. Talking about the Russian 9/99, where it is even known among Americans, never gets anyone bounced. No one except for Judy Miller got bounced for playing the WMD lies, whereas almost everyone else who partook in it has prospered while many of those who resisted were bounced. Plenty of leeway for conspiracy mongering was allowed if it pointed to Iraq working with or encouraging Al-Qaeda or some other 9/11 connection. That was Cheney, in fact, with what I've called the most consequential 9/11 conspiracy theory. You think he believed that shit?

The post-9/11 (especially in ca. 2003-2008) conspiracy panic that you studied was of course formally anti-conspiratorial but had some of the same elements, as a ritualistic public affirmation of a kind of virtue. It was on a smaller scale than Russiagate, but almost like a required exercise for every writer, especially left of center, who wished to maintain bona fides, to put out an anti-conspiracy column repeating basically the same tropes every time.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby Rory » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:09 pm

SmartSelect_20181204-180020_Twitter.jpg

Zut alors! Les Russe!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:55 pm

Right, I was sleeping on the job. Forgot that the Yellow Jackets would shortly be Russia's fault.

Also, if May goes down, Labour too. (Again.)

I like how they put on the air of expertise by saying shit like "active measures" and "kompromat."

JackRiddler

Postby liminalOyster » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 pm

"Russia bought some facebook ads" #neverforget

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
liminalOyster

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:54 pm

JackRiddler

Postby BenDhyan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:21 am

^ :rofl:
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:37 am

Merry Fitzmas to all, and to all a good night.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:24 am

Watergate drama took longer to unfold — more than two years — than many people may remember.

The complete Watergate timeline (it took longer than you realize)
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/c ... er-realize

Mueller Is Laying Siege to the Trump Presidency

It won’t be a single news event that takes down the president.

Mikhaila Fogel Associate editor of Lawfare Benjamin Wittes Editor in chief of Lawfare and a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution
Dec 4, 2018

“Today is the first day I actually thought Donald Trump might not finish his term in office,” said the legal commentator Jeffrey Toobin on CNN last Thursday.

“This is the beginning of the end for Trump,” declared Neal Katyal, a former acting solicitor general, on MSNBC.

“The deal may be among the biggest news in the nearly 18-month investigation,” wrote Barry Berke, Noah Bookbinder, and Norman Eisen in The New York Times.

It happens this way every time: A big news event in the Trump-Russia investigation takes place, and commentators talk about it as though a house of cards were collapsing or a row of dominoes were falling. Each time, it’s the beginning of the end. Each indictment or plea is the “big one.” And then those expectations are disappointed. The sun rises the next day—in the east, as expected—and it sets in the west, as it did the day before. The Trump presidency endures.

So what will the big one look like, if not some Mueller-lobbed bombshell? When the walls are finally breached, how will we know that it really is the beginning of the end? Here’s a hint: The big one will not be a legal development, an indictment, or a plea. It will be a political development—that moment when the American political system decides not to tolerate the facts available to it any longer. What does that look like? It looks like impeachment. It looks like enough Republicans breaking with the president to seriously jeopardize his chances of renomination or reelection. The legal developments will degrade the walls.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... mp/577264/
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Grizzly » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:13 am

So what? If he gets impeached that means exactly zero. Nothing will change. He doesn't have to leave office and nothing will change. Ever. Yay! Pepsi! ....or better stagNation.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion