Think Resilience

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Think Resilience

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:11 pm

It looks like the Post Carbon Institute is starting to put out the videos for their promised 22 part series titled Think Resilience. They posted Part One back in December. I'm not sure what the delay has been, but Part Two was just released a few days ago.

Think Resilience: Chapter 1 - Introduction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKfewKBaBEg

Think Resilience: Chapter 2 — Energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKMf8Kyfvjo

I'm not sure what everyone here thinks of the Post Carbon Institute, but I've been a big fan of Richard Heinberg ever since reading The Party's Over in 2004. He might be my favorite writer on the subject of Peak Oil, which is saying something considering how often I've linked Ruppert and Greer here.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Think Resilience

Postby Novem5er » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:05 pm

I haven't watched the videos yet, but I do think it's a big coincidence that I mentioned the old Peak Oil website, Life After the Oil Crash, on belligerentsavant's astrology thread, and the very next link I click on is this thread where you mention Peak Oil by name. Considering it's a term that I haven't heard mentioned in years, I'd say that's a pretty big sync :)
Novem5er

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Novem5er » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:05 pm wrote:I haven't watched the videos yet, but I do think it's a big coincidence that I mentioned the old Peak Oil website, Life After the Oil Crash, on belligerentsavant's astrology thread, and the very next link I click on is this thread where you mention Peak Oil by name. Considering it's a term that I haven't heard mentioned in years, I'd say that's a pretty big sync :)

I loved that site! The home page was a great intro to the subject, it had good updates on news and even a discussion forum that I occasionally posted on. Yeah, I think that is a pretty big sync - makes me wonder if the whole shale/tar sands "revolution" will bust sooner rather than later.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Novem5er » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:34 pm

stillrobertpaulsen » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:46 pm wrote:
Novem5er » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:05 pm wrote:I haven't watched the videos yet, but I do think it's a big coincidence that I mentioned the old Peak Oil website, Life After the Oil Crash, on belligerentsavant's astrology thread, and the very next link I click on is this thread where you mention Peak Oil by name. Considering it's a term that I haven't heard mentioned in years, I'd say that's a pretty big sync :)

I loved that site! The home page was a great intro to the subject, it had good updates on news and even a discussion forum that I occasionally posted on. Yeah, I think that is a pretty big sync - makes me wonder if the whole shale/tar sands "revolution" will bust sooner rather than later.

For the most part, Peak Oil has dropped off the radar. Some have said it's been debunked, as is evidenced by the recent energy glut. I take a different view, however. Peak Oil experts for a long time said energy companies would scramble to find ever more exotic means to recover oil from the strangest of places. They said deep-water drilling was only even profitable as the oil became more scarce and, thus, more expensive. I think excavation of oil/tar sands and the hydro-pumping of Saudi fields is simply more evidence of this. I think people just didn't realize that these exotic methods would work so well and would be relatively cost-effective.

But what happens when even these tricks start to produce diminishing returns? It's not like we've found billions of barrels of new oil. No, they just found a better way to get oil that they always knew was there. I think peak oil is still a very real danger, it's just that we've pushed in a decade or a generation into the future.
Novem5er

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:40 pm

Novem5er » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:34 pm wrote:For the most part, Peak Oil has dropped off the radar. Some have said it's been debunked, as is evidenced by the recent energy glut. I take a different view, however. Peak Oil experts for a long time said energy companies would scramble to find ever more exotic means to recover oil from the strangest of places. They said deep-water drilling was only even profitable as the oil became more scarce and, thus, more expensive. I think excavation of oil/tar sands and the hydro-pumping of Saudi fields is simply more evidence of this. I think people just didn't realize that these exotic methods would work so well and would be relatively cost-effective.

But what happens when even these tricks start to produce diminishing returns? It's not like we've found billions of barrels of new oil. No, they just found a better way to get oil that they always knew was there. I think peak oil is still a very real danger, it's just that we've pushed in a decade or a generation into the future.

Your view is pretty much identical to mine. All the tar sands in Canada, all the shale rock in the Dakotas, and most of the deep-water fields have been known about since the '70s. The new technology has made them more cost-effective, but you're right: we haven't found anything new. Peak Oil is still an axiomatic predicament - it's not a question of if, like the debunkers wish it was - the question is when. My concern is that by depleting the non-conventionals in synch with the remaining light sweet crude that's being hydro-pumped, when we go past the Peak into permanent decline, it's going to be that much steeper, and consequently the economic upheaval will be more severe.
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Think Resilience: Chapter 3 - Population & Consumption

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sosarP0-868
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Think Resilience: Chapter 4 - Depletion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Y2eq3MQAE
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon May 08, 2017 5:27 pm

Think Resilience: Chapter 5 - Pollution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWx-DrCLpZo
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Tue May 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Think Resilience: Chapter 6 - Political & Economic Management

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH6Pj0tXKpo
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Grizzly » Tue May 30, 2017 5:25 pm

Shareholders want Exxon to report on climate change risk
https://www.marketplace.org/2017/05/30/ ... hange-risk
Exxon Mobil's investors will vote Wednesday on a proposal demanding that the company produce a “meaningful” plan to address risks to its business from climate change and climate change regulation. Exxon has faced allegations that it's underplayed ..

Also see,

Exxon faces shareholder challenges on climate change, executive pay
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/busin ... 25824.html
Fort Worth Star Telegram

Addendum:
John McCain urges action on Great Barrier Reef and Paris climate deal | Speaking in Sydney, the US senator said he was ‘afraid about what the world is going to look like for our children’
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... imate-deal

Interesting timing eh?
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Return to General Discussion