[POLL] Abolish the "ignore" function.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Should the ignore function be abolished?

Yes.
41%
No. (State reasons.)
59%

Total votes : 27

Re: [POLL] Abolish the "ignore" function.

Postby brekin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:18 pm

MacCruiskeen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:48 pm wrote:The point is not just that I disagree with him and his (pseudleft, warmongering) agenda, nor is it just that I detest his dishonesty and evasiveness. It is that he persistently and grossly abuses both the rules and the spirit of this Discussion Board. Sometimes you post things I disagree with, occasionally vehemently. But you don't take giant dumps on this Discussion Board, and certainly not daily. Nor do you hide behind the ignore function. Nor does anyone else do either of those things.
No one else would get away with it.
Btw, I barely posted here in the first three months of this year. Like more and more people, I have been weaning myself off this place. Back in February I did look in once and the top seven threads were all threads started by Albanian Delusion, and the last post in each of those threads was by guess who. He was replying to himself, and of course agreeing with himself, with even more copy-and-paste. Like many Americans, he cannot abide being contradicted. (The rest of Page 1 was all Trump threads at the time.)
The world as dump, and as Data Dump: that's the American dream, and that's the project for this no-longer-new century.

I'm less inclined to believe your sudden Village Green Conservation Society campaign on public dumping doesn't have to do with ideology.

MacCruiskeen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:17 pm wrote:All right, norton, be that pedantic. Nearly everyone is sick of it - as sick of it as Robert Paulsen, Project Willow and Wombaticus Rex were three years ago. But most of those sickest of it have long since given up and left, admittedly.
Btw, I would object to it even if I agreed with every word AD wrote, copied and pasted here. I object to it all the more because it is what it is: warmongering propaganda.

I'm starting to believe it is precisely because AD is posting what you believe is "warmongering propaganda" that you've started this cease and desist whiny, bitch fest. He's probably first on your list, and then you'll move to the next "copy and paster" who also doesn't share your highly idiosyncratic ideology.
The sad thing is, as history has shown, posts on the board have no real effect on bigger events in the world and their decision makers. BUT it does have a large effect on the ecology of the board and the lives of those who regularly post and read here. So, consider how in a realm where you have actually great influence you are poisoning the environment and harassing/belittling regular posters almost on a daily basis. You are doing nothing more than calling for AD's banishment, when he himself has taken the higher ground

MacCruiskeen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:46 am wrote:The "ignore" function undermines the very idea of a discussion board.
It encourages dishonesty.
It eases the task of trolls and spooks.
It rewards cowardice and evasiveness.
It is an open invitation to abuse this General Discussion board as a private Data Dump -- and this despite the fact that Jeff and Drew took the time and trouble to set up an actual Data Dump to avoid precisely this problem.
It has allowed one disingenous and solipsistic poster in particular to take giant dumps all over RI General Discussion for years, to the disgust of nearly everyone, yet nothing is ever done about it. Many valued and honest posters have just given up and left because of this.
The "ignore" function has been an unmitigated disaster for this discussion board. It should be abolished.

MacCruiskeen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:42 pm wrote:It is a resurgent Discussion Board, where people of good faith will once again engage with each other politely and constructively in the absence of trolls and spammers.
Here, have some vodka, tovarich. Is Russian drink. Is good, is good.

No thanks comrade.

And buh-bye.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:21 pm

Now that the war is over, can we have this thread locked?
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Ignored by brekin! I'll never hear from him again! What a perfect day. It just keeps getting better.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:21 pm wrote:Now that the war is over, can we have this thread locked?

Oh, that's coming.

But I've learned enough from screenplays to know there's a bunch of sub-threads that will be unspooled either here, or some other poor undeserving thread who never saw it fucking coming until it was all too late.

We'll wrap this up tomorrow, I have beers to attend to and .rar files to puzzle over. In the meantime:

Because we are fucking done with the meta-threads for awhile.
Wombaticus Rex

constant volume constant pitch constant rhythm

Postby IanEye » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:36 pm

a cracking portrait
the fondling of trophies
the null of losing
can you afford that luxury?

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Elvis » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:37 pm

American Dream wrote:
That's it- done with such posters who don't inspire much hope of a positive engagement.

\<] :rofl:

Oh, and I always say, Moderation in most things.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Elvis » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:37 pm wrote:
American Dream wrote:
That's it- done with such posters who don't inspire much hope of a positive engagement.

\<] :rofl:

Oh, and I always say, Moderation in most things.

You might just have given me my new sig-line, Elvis. Sometimes the road of excess really does lead to the palace of wisdom, rather than the intensive care unit.

Here, tovarich, have some vodka. Da, da, is healthy drink, is good for heart and liver. Nastrovye!
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Cordelia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:49 am

^^^
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Searcher08 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 am

R.I. is a dysfunctional edge-of-chaos community of people who are generally smart, creative, well-read and literate, who have also have big issues in their real world lives that they find really hard to cope with, and who mostly come here for a simulacra of connection and to find others interested in what they post, based on a hope that a shared interest will lead to a shared connection.
For over a decade there has been gangstalking, personal bullying, verbal behaviour without consequence that if conducted in real life would involve an actual fist fight, a tsunami of Leftist authoritarian / totalitarian thought-free poo that is about enforced equality (of randomly categorised sets of humans swimming in a values-free postmodern nihilist soup). There is also incredible research, rigour, snark, stupidity, triggering, mania, mental illness, just.plain.rudeness, stunning insights, writing that can leave one stunned and moved and inspired to do/be better... quite the kaleidascope.
FUck, what a history, eh?
There have been long-term infiltrators (remember Percival?), st0rmfr3nt invaders, ARGs, and hasbara trolls (Hey AD, how is your buddy Solace? Are her anger management classes working?).
There have been North Korean style online re-education threads - I remember when anyone mentioned 'Icke' or 'Annunaki', AD interrogated the living *fuck* out of them them like they were prisoners holding vital Nazi secrets.lulz.)

This place has changed enormously, not from some fantasy nonsense about "good ol' days, when RI wimmin were Living Goddess Mods, n Jeff was Here an we lived off da fatta da land".
It is just... different now. Are there actually *any* real-life friendships at this place? During times of loss or grief or hardship, did any of one's "colleagues" from here turn up at your door? Or call? or Skype? Just wonderin'...

I'm here because there are lots of us here who like Sargon and Jorden Petersen vids. :sun:

And maybe for this...

compared2what? wrote:In fact, if I set out for the corner store tomorrow and ended up being bundled into a van by men in suits with earpieces who illegally renditioned me to some godforsaken rocky Mediterranean island prison complex where they chained me to a rusty ceiling pipe in an icy-cold brightly lit cell while jackbooted mercenaries held a power drill to my head while shouting at me to name a single point on which there was near-unanimous agreement among RI forum members or prepare to die horribly, I might even feel a brief, delusional moment of relief when I remembered that while it's definitely true that one poster's most profoundly held beliefs are almost inevitably the very definition of propagandistic mindfuckery to a number of others, at least we do pretty much all take the general proposition that we're being bombarded with media disinfo from just about every direction 24/7 as a fact that's far too well-established to bother trying to make disputing it on a prima facie basis any part of the vicious bickering that then ensues as usual.
Searcher08

Previous

Return to General Discussion