Words and Phrases You Hate

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Words and Phrases You Hate

Postby Cordelia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Simple.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:22 pm

"In no way, shape or form"

Redundant much?
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Cordelia » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:28 pm

'United front'

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby brekin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:16 pm

- kuan
Used as in "I ask because I'm a real kuan in spring".
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Cordelia » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:08 am

Take a knee.

Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:50 am

Half listening to the radio while working, I heard an interviewee say ‘Gender Fluid’ and wondered wtf is that; an automotive solvent to prevent engine knock? An amniotic fluid test to determine a baby’s sex, or worse, to inject into the womb to change the sex of the fetus? Nah, just another (gender)-inclusive phrase....

Cordelia

Postby minime » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:24 pm

Narrative...

Great word. Used too often for less than honorable reasons with less than honorable connotations.
minime

Postby Cordelia » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:05 am

Meds.

What meds are you taking?... meds adherence.... meds refill, etc, etc....

Cordelia

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:35 pm

Gender Assignment

Genderfluid totally exists. Interestingly, inherent in the word is that it's not a gender, it's a state of in-between genders. Which is fine with me, since "gender" has always been fluid and should always remain so.

Gender is culture, socialization, ideology and identification (all of which arise from relations, not essences). Sex is biology. True enough that the line between sex and gender is more of a large porous zone, at least to our observation; but whether sex determines all, or should (certainly not my view!) or determines relatively a lot less than the traditional gender ideologies posit, it does exist. In my youth feminist-minded people understood gender as whatever is imposed upon biological sex, a matter of forcing roles and norms on people, on boys and girls alike, but with the more restrictive and exploitable roles forced on females.

I was not "assigned a gender" at birth, I was observed (correctly, as in 99.9% of cases nowadays) to possess the sex I was born with. I don't "identify" with that sex any more than I do with the rest of my body. (Which is to say, sure, plenty.) These are just things I am. I could engage in processes that change some of these things, but not fully. I could also "identify" fully as a member of the female sex -- and should try that at times, as a matter of empathy. If I truly did identify as female, all the time, this would earn respect and protection (in the sense that no one should harm me for it), but it would not make me female in the biological sense.

After birth, I was "assigned" or trained, socialized and educated into notions of gender as a I grew up. Some of these ideas, insofar as they were applied to me, I identified with, most I did not.

The current debate about transideology is about the attempt to abolish definitions that distinguish even in theory between biological sex and cultural gender, and (at the current extreme) to claim that sex does not even exist (or rather, more ominously, should not be acknowledged) except as a function of one's personal gender assignment or gender identification.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Previous

Return to General Discussion