Words and Phrases You Hate

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Words and Phrases You Hate

Postby Cordelia » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Boutique firms (law, financial, investment, etc....)

Takes all the fun out of frivolous haute couture browsing in small shops.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Asta » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:03 pm

Rhetoric — reminds of MP’s “Life of Brian” when Pontius Pilate is calling out the prisoners but he has a lisp. Bwing out Woderick. Bwing out Whetoric!

(anything) Gate — Watergate was a hotel. So how did every future scandal manage to suck off its name with any journalistic integrity…never mind.

Meme — Where the hell did this word come from? Oh, David Dawkins. I thought it was French for Narcissist at first.

Cloud. This word has reached a certain spiritual meaning for me. It fits some of the criteria for being a God. We really don’t understand it, we don’t know where it is or what it looks like. Sometimes the Cloud saves our asses, sometimes it doesn’t. You, know, like GOD. So when this word is used, it should always be capitalized and never taken in vain.

Poo (Poop) — why can’t we just go back to calling it what it is? This word kinda makes it hard to read Winnie the Pooh to a small child with a straight face.

All superlatives — Everything is a superlative to The Donald. We are the most bestest, tremendous, hugest, soon to be greatest again country in the world, according to the ugliest, most repulsive, and unmatched pathological liar. But the use of the word Awesome to describe any event or thing regardless of its significance or quality makes me crazy. Awesome should only be used when contemplating the Cloud.
Asta

Postby Cordelia » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:00 pm

'Schedule' as pronounced by Brits and drunken Americans. Makes me cringe, like...

(fwiw......pronunciation debunked, by one who does.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDbMKG5zr-8

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:11 pm

people on this site...
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Grizzly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:29 pm

^^^

people on this site...

this.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Cordelia » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:37 pm

'Model child'

'Higher Education'

'Leader of the free world'

Cordelia

Postby km artlu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:04 am

^^ 'Leader of the free world' has long been an irritant for me on multiple levels:

- so, y'know, fuck your national sovereignty all y'all foreigners
- right...30-year veterans of the national security state are going to hand over the keys to whichever schmuck best manipulates American voters every four years. That's real.
- the educated classes seem to actually believe this fable; which indicates they are willing dupes and fantasists; which bodes poorly for us all
km artlu

Postby semper occultus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:57 am

tell you what - I'll be prepared to magnanimously forgive that teeth-grindingly awful verbal offence ".....reaching out..." :choke: in return for the "SHEDule" thing :partyhat

and optics - aren't those things your busty serving wench dispenses a drink from ? :starz:

semper occultus

Postby 0_0 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:26 am

"going forward"

edit: i just checked the thread and NeonXL already mentioned this one on page 3. Apologies and i'll be more careful going forward.
playmobil of the gods
0_0

Postby km artlu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:56 am

"conversation"

Yeah, no...we need to reach out and move the conversation on Syria forward.
km artlu

Postby Cordelia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:57 am

'Pick someone's brains'

............to get information. Yuck.

Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:43 pm

"I'll let you go now". . .to end a telephone conversation.

It's like you've been held hostage (true sometimes); I'm not a big talker anyway, but would rather hear 'gotta go and let the dog out', or something.

semper occultus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:57 am wrote:tell you what - I'll be prepared to magnanimously forgive that teeth-grindingly awful verbal offence ".....reaching out..." :choke: in return for the "SHEDule" thing :partyhat

Sounds good. (Having gotten it 'off my chest', I don't have a problem w/ Shedule--it's kind of endearing, even.)

(I've always been curious, given the appeal of English accents to Americans, if there are any American accents, dialects, idioms, patters, etc... Brits find attractive. :shrug:)

Cordelia

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:33 pm

82_28 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:22 am wrote:It's a big nothing burger.

As someone who loves burgers, I'll second your hatred of this bullshit addition to our lexicon.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby semper occultus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:19 am

Broad brush the "southern" type of lazy drawl would probably score most highly for appeal - with its connotations of steamy, humid swampy back-waters populated with Daisy Duke look-alikes ( maybe that's a personal thing ! ) - rather than that more nasal sounding sort of JFK type accent ( East Coast ? )

( or those whiny valley girl ones :partyhat ) - hopeless generalising I'm sure but those are about the only ones I can pick up apart from the classic New York one ofcourse

I was talking to an American once called Ian who was lamenting his parents choice of name as he said it was less common over there & in a New England accent it sounds like you are saying Ann which caused some amusement
semper occultus

Postby Cordelia » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:29 am

semper occultus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:19 am wrote:Broad brush the "southern" type of lazy drawl would probably score most highly for appeal - with its connotations of steamy, humid swampy back-waters populated with Daisy Duke look-alikes ( maybe that's a personal thing ! ) - rather than that more nasal sounding sort of JFK type accent ( East Coast ? )

( or those whiny valley girl ones :partyhat ) - hopeless generalising I'm sure but those are about the only ones I can pick up apart from the classic New York one ofcourse

I was talking to an American once called Ian who was lamenting his parents choice of name as he said it was less common over there & in a New England accent it sounds like you are saying Ann which caused some amusement

Thanks Semper, that's very interesting; I've wondered if Southern accents might be the most appealing to non-American ears (Daisy Duke look-alikes :lol: )

I think JFK's was a Boston accent, though not Boston Brahmin :wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwvONJXJUO4

Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion