Artists & Preservationists Debate the Rush to Topple Statues

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Artists & Preservationists Debate the Rush to Topple Sta

Postby brekin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:24 pm

Cordelia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:57 am wrote:Employing the tactic of emotional strategy to an unpopular choice is wise marketing.........

Two Confederate Statues in Charlottesville Covered in Black in Mourning for Heather Heyer.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ro ... er-n795271

Yes it is. I think only in the short run though. In the long run it actually can reinforce what it is trying to prevent. Equating covering the statues as "in mourning" with the death of Heather Heyer I think besides belittling her death and equating it with some illogical abstractions tries to frame this all as a simplistic and weirdly reframing of the real issues (namely online radicalization of unstable, and rageful individuals looking for a justifiable ideology, protective symbols and targets for their rage.)

This began in earnest recently we all know because Dylan Roof (The Charleston Church Shooter) was along with self-alienating online brainwashing marathons in the sewers of the internet, narcotic/opoid & alcohol abuse, a troubled and transient home, work, social and school life, social and possible mental issues, and a fixation with guns was also slightly enamored with Dixie iconography and ideology (but more so it seems with apartheid eras Rhodesia and South Africa flags). However even a cursory look at his background shows that it wasn't statues of Robert E. Lee and the Confederate Flag which created, nurtured or activated his murderous spree.

But somehow removing Confederate iconography was what was seized on after his arrest as the "emotional strategy" to deal with what happened, to what - supposedly prevent such radicalization again?
Roof had black friends and even told one (among many other associates) he was going to do a school shooting. Although there is no doubt Roof was a white supremacist and his definite aim was to start a race war, it looks like he was less influenced by his immediate milieu than online:

Federal prosecutors said in August 2016 that Roof was "self-radicalized" online, instead of adopting his white supremacist ideology "through his personal associations or experiences with white supremacist groups or individuals or others".[52][53]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylann_Roof

And what directed him and his distorted mind (as it seems from his associates and run ins with the law he was going to do a mass shooting at a church or school, for some reason) was just such internet stories that are race baiting and divisive over emotional "capture the flag" symbolic misdirection flamed by the media.

The website also contained an unsigned, 2,444-word manifesto apparently authored by Roof,[58] in which he outlined his opinions, all methodically broken into the following sections: "Blacks", "Jews", "Hispanics", "East Asians", "Patriotism", and "An Explanation":[56]
I have no choice. I am not in the position to, alone, go into the ghetto and fight. I chose Charleston because it is most historic city in my state, and at one time had the highest ratio of blacks to Whites in the country. We have no skinheads, no real KKK, no one doing anything but talking on the internet. Well someone has to have the bravery to take it to the real world, and I guess that has to be me.[54]

The manifesto states that its author was "truly awakened" by coverage of the shooting of Trayvon Martin:
I read the Wikipedia article and right away I was unable to understand what the big deal was. It was obvious that Zimmerman was in the right. But more importantly this prompted me to type in the words "black on white crime" into Google, and I have never been the same since that day. The first website I came to was the Council of Conservative Citizens. There were pages upon pages of these brutal black on white murders. I was in disbelief. At this moment I realized that something was very wrong. How could the news be blowing up the Trayvon Martin case while hundreds of these black on white murders got ignored?[54][55][59][60]

I think Roof and those of his ilk (terrorists of whatever) most likely are just looking for an ideology to direct and justify their slow boiling rage and destructive hate.
Creating more and more emblems and signifying them more and more as polarized figures of hate, 24/7 on the internet, actually feeds into the process that directs unstable individuals like Roof to choose such symbols, targets and individuals who are identified with them. In a weird way he might just have started the race war he intended to, but just by one of his facebook pics.

One image from his Facebook page showed him wearing a jacket decorated with two obsolete flags used as emblems among American white supremacist movements, those of Rhodesia (present-day Zimbabwe) and apartheid-era South Africa.[42][43][44] Another online photo showed Roof sitting on the hood of his car with an ornamental license plate with a Confederate flag on it.[45] According to his roommate, Roof expressed his support of racial segregation in the United States and had intended to start a civil war.[46]

One of the friends who briefly hid Roof's gun away from him said, "I don't think the church was his primary target because he told us he was going for the school. But I think he couldn't get into the school because of the security ... so I think he just settled for the church."[47][48] An African-American friend of his said that he never witnessed Roof expressing any racial prejudice, but also said that a week before the shooting, Roof had confided in him that he would commit a shooting at the college.[49]

Shrouding symbols of hate irl would be great as an strategy if it prevented individuals like Roof and Meyers murderer from being radicalized and acting. But what we see is they get virtually directed and motivated online. By the time they show anywhere in the irl world with such symbols it is too late for everyone.

And as more and more people are spending more and more alienating time online becoming eerily similar to the qausi-autistic alienating quest of Roof's. While also trucking in the same subject matter - hate symbolism and identification with/or against such symbols (on whatever side) we are seeing more and more such behavior to varying degrees. You can see this at the protests how radicalized and determined people are right out of the gate where a MAGA hat or Antifa mask is their red flag they've already been conditioned for a 1000 times previously online. They are coming out of the cyber-gate radicalized - not by each day gazing at a statue outside a courthouse in a small southern town or binge watching the Dukes of Hazard.

Doesn't this psych eval of Roof start to sound like your typical news online junkie caught up in the current news cycle:

“Dylann’s unusual thinking, coupled with an autistic intensity of focus on these interests, and the absence of meaningful connection to anything other than what he read on the Internet, gave rise to an irrational belief that he had to commit these crimes.”
The report went on to note that Roof also showed symptoms of anxiety, depression, paranoia and “a number of highly unusual symptoms that suggest disordered thinking and lack of contact with reality.”
And it discussed Roof’s “preoccupation with racism.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 476d09526b
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby conniption » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:17 am

strategic-culture

How We Know the So-Called 'Civil War' Was Not over Slavery

Paul Craig ROBERTS

When I read Professor Thomas DiLorenzo’s article the question that lept to mind was, “How come the South is said to have fought for slavery when the North wasn’t fighting against slavery?”

Two days before Lincoln’s inauguration as the 16th President, Congress, consisting only of the Northern states, passed overwhelmingly on March 2, 1861, the Corwin Amendment that gave constitutional protection to slavery. Lincoln endorsed the amendment in his inaugural address, saying “I have no objection to its being made express and irrevocable.”

Quite clearly, the North was not prepared to go to war in order to end slavery when on the very eve of war the US Congress and incoming president were in the process of making it unconstitutional to abolish slavery.

Here we have absolute total proof that the North wanted the South kept in the Union far more than the North wanted to abolish slavery.

If the South’s real concern was maintaining slavery, the South would not have turned down the constitutional protection of slavery offered them on a silver platter by Congress and the President. Clearly, for the South also the issue was not slavery.

The real issue between North and South could not be reconciled on the basis of accommodating slavery. The real issue was economic as DiLorenzo, Charles Beard and other historians have documented. The North offered to preserve slavery irrevocably, but the North did not offer to give up the high tariffs and economic policies that the South saw as inimical to its interests.

Blaming the war on slavery was the way the northern court historians used morality to cover up Lincoln’s naked aggression and the war crimes of his generals. Demonizing the enemy with moral language works for the victor. And it is still ongoing. We see in the destruction of statues the determination to shove remaining symbols of the Confederacy down the Memory Hole.

Today the ignorant morons, thoroughly brainwashed by Identity Politics, are demanding removal of memorials to Robert E. Lee, an alleged racist toward whom they express violent hatred. This presents a massive paradox. Robert E. Lee was the first person offered command of the Union armies. How can it be that a “Southern racist” was offered command of the Union Army if the Union was going to war to free black slaves?

continues... https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/ ... avery.html
conniption

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elvis » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:24 am

"Here we have absolute total proof"—whoa—absolute and total!—must be double-extra true!

Language like that makes me wonder: why is Paul Craig Roberts so anxious to prove that the Civil War "was not over slavery"? So anxious to exonerate Lee?

PCR is damn near saying about slavery, "Lincoln was good with it; I'm good with it."

He seems to be leading the reader to the notion that "the 'so called' Civil War was illegal, therefore slavery should never have been abolished." A surprising number of people believe it.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby DrEvil » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:36 am

Today the ignorant morons, thoroughly brainwashed by Identity Politics, are demanding removal of memorials to Robert E. Lee, an alleged racist toward whom they express violent hatred.

Language like this doesn't help either. Sounds like he sympathizes more with the Nazis, who happen to be the only ones to kill someone over this argument. But it's the left who preach violent hatred. Yessir. :roll:
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby norton ash » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:32 am

Such equivocating assholes on the right. You've got your orange Mussolini to run your trains into the ground, ramp up the hate, and pardon your modern-day indian-killers, are you never fucking happy?
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Morty » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:40 pm

No amount of ad hominum attacks on PCR, and people who can be associated with "his side" of the argument, will prove or falsify the case he makes in the posted article.
Morty

Postby brekin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:27 pm

I love how someone may split from their romantic partner and refuse to pin down one cause or reason for the break up they lived through. To them it remains indefinitely "complicated". And yet the same person can turn to a "split" of a much larger magnitude, in the historic past and with millions of characters and variables and safely say that it simply happened (or didn't happen) for such and such reason. To them, interestingly, a remote psychohistorical analysis is much more easy, peasy lemon squeezy.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby DrEvil » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Morty » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:40 am wrote:No amount of ad hominum attacks on PCR, and people who can be associated with "his side" of the argument, will prove or falsify the case he makes in the posted article.

Doesn't really matter, ad hominems or not. Maybe the civil war wasn't fought over slavery, but that's what most people think it was, and most of these statues were erected much later to rub white superiority in the faces of the uppity negroes so they wouldn't get any cute ideas about equal rights and respect.

Paul Craig Roberts' argument is irrelevant and a weak attempt at sidetracking from the actual issue, which is racist assholes using Lee as a symbol to champion their cause, and people reacting by wanting to take away those symbols.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Morty » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:20 pm

Surely his argument is the furthest thing from irrelevant? One side may be on their moral high horse for admirable though wrong reasons. That wouldn't be insignificant. And the other side, due to distortions of history, may have found itself straying into a defence of the indefensible because in its bones it knows it is not the utter monstrosity its accused of being. You can rewrite the history books, but you can't erase the oral/emotional side of history unless you erase the people who hold the undesirable knowledge.

http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2017/08 ... ca-empire/
The Lincoln Myth: Ideological Cornerstone of the America Empire
August 21, 2017 | Categories: Guest Contributions
Thomas DiLorenzo

“Lincoln is theology, not historiology. He is a faith, he is a church, he is a religion, and he has his own priests and acolytes, most of whom . . . are passionately opposed to anybody telling the truth about him . . . with rare exceptions, you can’t believe what any major Lincoln scholar tells you about Abraham Lincoln and race.”
–Lerone Bennett, Jr., Forced into Glory, p. 114

The author of the above quotation, Lerone Bennett, Jr., was the executive editor of Ebony magazine for several decades, beginning in 1958. He is a distinguished African-American author of numerous books, including a biography of Martin Luther King, Jr. He spent twenty years researching and writing his book, Forced into Glory: Abraham Lincoln’s White Dream, from which he drew the above conclusion about the so-called Lincoln scholars and how they have lied about Lincoln for generations. For obvious reasons, Mr. Bennett is incensed over how so many lies have been told about Lincoln and race.
Few Americans have ever been taught the truth about Lincoln and race, but it is all right there in The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln (CW), and in his actions and behavior throughout his life. For example, he said the following:

“Free them [i.e. the slaves] and make them politically and socially our equals? My own feelings will not admit of this . . . . We cannot then make them equals” (CW, vol. II, p. 256.

“What I would most desire would be the separation of the white and black races” (CW, vol. II, p. 521).

“I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races . . . . I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong, having the superior position. I have never said anything to the contrary” (CW, vol. III, p, 16). (Has there ever been a clearer definition of “white supremacist”?).

“I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races . . . . I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people” (CW, vol. III, pp. 145-146).

“I will to the very last stand by the law of this state [Illinois], which forbids the marrying of white people with negroes” (CW, vol. III, p. 146).

“Senator Douglas remarked . . . that . . . this government was made for the white people and not for the negroes. Why, in point of mere fact, I think so too” (CW, vol. II, p. 281)

Lincoln was also a lifelong advocate of “colonization,” or the deportation of black people from America. He was a “manager” of the Illinois Colonization Society, which procured tax funding to deport the small number of free blacks residing in the state. He also supported the Illinois constitution, which in 1848 was amended to prohibit the immigration of black people into the state. He made numerous speeches about “colonization.” “I have said that the separation of the races is the only perfect preventive of amalgamation . . . . such separation must be effected by colonization” (CW, vol. II, p. 409). And, “Let us be brought to believe it is morally right, and . . . favorable to . . . our interest, to transfer the African to his native clime” (CW, vol. II, p. 409). Note how Lincoln referred to black people as “the African,” as though they were alien creatures. “The place I am thinking about having for a colony,” he said, “is in Central America. It is nearer to us than Liberia” (CW, vol. V, pp. 373-374).

Bennett also documents how Lincoln so habitually used the N word that his cabinet members – and many others – were shocked by his crudeness, even during a time of pervasive white supremacy, North and South. He was also a very big fan of “black face” minstrel shows, writes Bennett.

For generations, the so-called Lincoln scholars claimed without any documentation that Lincoln suddenly gave up on his “dream” of deporting all the black people sometime in the middle of the war, even though he allocated millions of dollars for a “colonization” program in Liberia during his administration. But the book Colonization After Emancipation by Phillip Magness and Sebastian Page, drawing on documents from the British and American national archives, proved that Lincoln was hard at work until his dying day plotting with Secretary of State William Seward the deportation of all the freed slaves. The documents produced in this book show Lincoln’s negotiations with European governments to purchase land in Central America and elsewhere for “colonization.” They were even counting how many ships it would take to complete the task.

Lincoln’s Slavery-Forever Speech: The First Inaugural

Lincoln’s first inaugural address, delivered on March 4, 1861, is probably the most powerful defense of slavery ever made by an American politician. In the speech Lincoln denies having any intention to interfere with Southern slavery; supports the federal Fugitive Slave Clause of the Constitution, which compelled citizens of non-slave states to capture runaway slaves; and also supported a constitutional amendment known as the Corwin Amendment that would have prohibited the federal government from ever interfering in Southern slavery, thereby enshrining it explicitly in the text of the U.S. Constitution.

Lincoln stated at the outset of his first inaugural address that “I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.” Furthermore, “Those who nominated and elected me did so with full knowledge that I had made this and many similar declarations and had never recanted them; and more than this, they placed in the [Republican Party] platform for my acceptance, and as a law to themselves and to me, the clear and emphatic resolution which I now read: Resolved, that the maintenance inviolate of the rights of the States, and especially the right of each state to order and control its own domestic institutions according to its own judgment exclusively, is essential to the balance of power on which the perfection and endurance of our political fabric depend . . .” By “domestic institutions” Lincoln meant slavery.
Continued at link
Morty

Postby conniption » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:26 am

Elvis » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:24 am wrote:"Here we have absolute total proof"—whoa—absolute and total!—must be double-extra true!

Language like that makes me wonder: why is Paul Craig Roberts so anxious to prove that the Civil War "was not over slavery"? So anxious to exonerate Lee?

PCR is damn near saying about slavery, "Lincoln was good with it; I'm good with it."

He seems to be leading the reader to the notion that "the 'so called' Civil War was illegal, therefore slavery should never have been abolished." A surprising number of people believe it.

Elvis... I don't see what you're saying here... (insert confused smilie}
_______

global research
(embedded links)

Violent “Color Revolution” in America? Attempted Overthrow of Trump? Threatens to Shred Fabric of American Society

Manufactured Civil War, Guided Anarchy

By Larry Chin
Global Research, August 26, 2017

A race war and a civil war are being incited by the US political establishment and Deep State opponents of Donald Trump, in order to foment violence towards Trump’s removal from the White House. The events in Charlottesville, together with “Russia-Gate” are being used as a “defining moment of crisis” and a pretext to justify Trump’s overthrow.

Turning American streets into war zones

America has never faced chaos of this nature in modern times: manufactured domestic political terrorism disguised as civil unrest, masking a coup. The stated goal of the agitators is “mass insurrection”and “all forms of violence” to make the country “ungovernable”

Just as the global “war on terrorism” is a criminality and treason disguised as “freedom fighting” and “the defense of liberty”, this war against Trump, labelled as the “new Hitler”, is part of an unfolding domestic terror operation, which ironically utilizes the propaganda techniques of Hitler and the Third Reich (Goebbels), not to mention the anarchist playbook of Saul Alinsky (and, by extension, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, both of whom are Alinsky disciples).

Ben Carson quoted in the Washington Post, “Hillary Clinton, Saul Alinsky and Lucifer, explained”, July 20, 2015

From the violence and propaganda brainwashing to the manipulation and destruction of culture and history (statues and monuments, etc.). what is unfolding is a repeat of familiar institutional terror.

Goals are achieved through the weaponization and mobilization of indoctrinated and deceived masses as well grassroots activists, coupled with mind-controlled authoritarian thugs.

The larger “resistance” features a toxic combination of professional paid anarchists, brainwashed “social justice warriors”, and deluded protestors who are misinformed and invariably ignorant as to who is supporting and funding the “protest movements”. There is no rational conversation to be had, no reasoning, in such an atmosphere of ginned-up hysteria.

This large-scale extortion aims to devastate the United States from within, forcing Trump out of office. An already deeply divided and confused nation with an already shredded social fabric will be torn apart.

The mainstream corporate media, the engineers of delusion and mob-manipulating propaganda, is ginning it up, creating mass hysteria and mental affliction.

What is taking place is not simple protests from supporters of a losing political faction, but a domestic terrorism operation planned and executed by the establishment majority—supported by neoliberals as well as neoconservative Republicans—in defense of their system against perceived existential threat from anti-establishment movements. Mob violence has always been a weapon of the oligarchy. It was inaccurate and tactically stupid for Trump to call this insurrection “Alt-Left”. It is in fact a mainstream establishment operation, which uses “left”, “progressive” and antifa symbols to pursue its political objectives.

This “chaos agenda”is a “color revolution”. The elites and Deep State figures behind today’s American anarchy are the same ones that funded and orchestrated “color revolutions” around the world, the toppling of Ukraine and the installation of the Ukrainian neo-Nazi Svoboda regime, unrest in Turkey, the destabilization of Syria, European refugee crisis, and the Arab Spring. What worked overseas is now being applied within US borders.

The Purple Revolution began the night Trump won the presidential election that foiled the installation of Hillary Clinton. This warfare has escalated and intensified in the months ever since, culminating with Charlottesville.

The increasingly failing Trump/Russian hack narrative is being replaced by a variation on an old theme: Nazis. “Trump is a Nazi”. Nazis must die.

Trump’s repeated denials and long history of standing against Nazis, the KKK and white supremacists, and having nothing to do with them, are to no avail.

Antifa

The mainstream media predictably fails to report the fact that Antifa anarchist groups are responsible for the majority of the continuing political violence, including Charlottesville, Boston, and the Battle of Berkeley, enabled by police stand-downs and incompetence. Local police forces, university police, and local mainstream media in heavily liberal cities (such as Berkeley) openly back the Democratic Party’s anti-Trump agenda and act in support of the anarchists.

Masked, armed authoritarian anarchists, provocateurs and terrorists are referred to blandly in mainstream media accounts as “counter-protestors”,when in fact they are the instigators and shock troops of the larger national coup, and vastly outnumber Trump supporters (not all of whom are “right-wing). These violent groups, operating under the banners of “peace and justice” in fact embody the opposite.

Antifa: a violent movement rises

Antifa: seeking peace through violence (CNN)

Screenshot, source CNN, August 17, 2017

These supposedly leaderless domestic front groups, including Antifa, Black Bloc, Black Lives Matter, Occupy, Disrupt J20, By Any Means Necessary (BAMN) and others can all be traced to the Democracy Alliance, elite “civil society” foundations, establishment politicians, Democrats and Republicans, and assets of the Deep State. The connections between the Washington establishment and the myriad anarchist groups are well known. Moreover, these domestic front organizations –many of which include within their ranks grassroots progressive activists– are invariably funded (directly or indirectly) by corporate establishment foundations.

These various groups whose instigators mobilize “a progressive grassroots” have been combined and mobilized into one coordinated anti-Trump agitation apparatus. Like the terrorist networks that they are, they function like any other CIA covert operation, each cell inculcated from the others, with plausible denial in place for the organizers and leadership.

The Justice Department has done virtually nothing about these groups, while CIA-connected media such as CNN devote puff pieces to puff pieces in support of Antifa’s “peace through violence” agenda, and then scrubbing the (accurate) title post-facto for more favorable publicity.

Charlottesville

Charlottesville was not a spontaneous eruption of violence but the new stage of civil war.

The Charlottesville Clash: Protest and Counter-Protest, Politicized Media Propaganda

The white nationalist events were long planned. The removal of Confederate statues led to the incitement. While this was the largest gathering of various white nationalist groups in recent history, these relatively small, fringe, politically insignificant groups are routinely monitored and/or infiltrated by the FBI. The idea that US domestic intelligence and law enforcement, and Virginia and Charlottesville authorities were not fully aware of, and ready for, any possibility of violence is preposterous. Permits were granted.

There is compelling evidence that the police stood down. (Also see here) The venue was turned into trap, a kill zone, with alt-right nationalist participants crammed inside barricades, surrounded at chokepoints by Antifa.

It is no coincidence that Charlottesville was set up in virtually the same fashion as the spring 2017 Battle of Berkeley, where outnumbered Trump supporters gathering for an event were also trapped behind barricades and surrounded by Antifa, and forced to fight off attacking mobs. In Charlottesville as well as Berkeley, hours of open street warfare were allowed to take place unabated by the police.

While chaos in Charlottesville erupted on all sides, many accounts strongly suggest that the Antifa forces instigated the violence. Also demanding investigation is evidence of orchestration and staging and other highly suspicious anomalies.

The presence of the FBI and other intelligence agencies must be noted. Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe is a notorious long-time Democratic operative and Clinton surrogate. Unite the Right Rally organizer Jason Kessler was a member of Occupy and an Obama supporter. Crisis actors were hired for the event.

The man who drove a car into a crowd, killing Heather Heyer, committed an act of terrorism and murder by any definition. But this act of murder occurred after hours of street warfare that was stopped, and allowed to escalate.

It is also not clear who the driver actually was. Was it James Fields, the man who was arrested, or was it someone else? Whoever it was had the skills of a stunt driver. Adding to the confusion are questions about the identity and behavior of those who were attacking the vehicle with baseball bats.

Was Charlottesville a staged false flag operation? Why was this melee allowed to explode? Who gave the orders, and who financed the fighters on both sides?

What is crystal clear is that the entire Washington political establishment, Deep State and mainstream media are benefitting. Trump’s opponents have their pretext and potent new propaganda weapons. They have Heather Heyer as a martyr and symbol of “resistance”.

Charlottesville is shamelessly being used as a fundraising tool. Heather Heyer becomes a symbol and martyr.

Ukraine connection to Charlottesville

As detailed by Lee Stranahan (and on Twitter) there are disturbing connections to Ukraine. These same connections were also noted by Julian Assange.

James Fields, the alleged driver, connected to Ukraine is spotted on videotape chanting “Blood and Soil” and torch-marching, the slogan of Nazi Ukraine Svoboda Party. The Charlottesville torch march was identical to the torch marches in Ukraine. In fact, Ukrainian flags were flown in Charlottesville.

Is it merely a coincidence that elements of the CIA/Obama/Clinton Ukraine coup show up here? The Washington politicians now spewing outrage about racism and Nazis at Trump today, including John McCain are active collaborators with the Ukrainian Nazis.

Former US Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland together with leader of Ukraine’s Neo-Nazi Party Svoboda Oleh Tyahnybok (left)

Is it also coincidental that these Ukrainian Nazis, working in conjunction with US establishment DNC and Republicans alike, also happen to be the central figures behind the completely false Trump/Russia hack narrative that never seems to die?

Intimidation of thought and ideas

Staged mob violence and authoritarian threats are not limited to the streets. Thought itself is under attack.

Not only Trump supporters, but all opponents and critics of the political establishment cannot express themselves without threat of reprisal, censorship, and violence.

A full-scale assault is being carried out against alternative media.

The campaign against “hate speech” and “hate content” labels any anti-establishment media as “hate”. The attack is so broad-brush that entire networks are branded right-wing or “alt-right”, when in fact, many are not right-wing, and many are non-partisan. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google, among others, are engaged in campaigns of censorship and control, including the policing of content, the demonetization and suspension of sites, control of political content, and outright censorship through deletion.

Hypocrisy

While Trump is no “Role Model” of political and moral behavior, he has been branded a Nazi and white racist, despite his disavowal and criticism of white supremacists, Nazis, David Duke and the Ku Klux Klan. According to Israel Shamir:

President Trump condemned both sides participating in the brawl‚ both white nationalists and Antifa. It is exactly what his opponents were waiting for. His attempt to stay above the brawl was doomed to defeat: liberal hegemonists immediately branded him a racist and neo-Nazi. Trump reminded them that not all defenders of the monument were white racists, but this argument didn’t work. (Global Research, August 26, 2017

Despite the fact that he spoke out forcefully, many times. (Trump spent much of a recent rally in Phoenix detailing his many responses. See here.) The mainstream media offers no quarter.

Screenshot: Trump quoted in Vox, August 15, 2017

Similarly, the majority of Trump supporters have no association with extremist groups of any kind, and have long opposed white nationalists and the “Alt-Right”. Violence has been aggressively disavowed by most of Trump’s base, including Mike Cernovich, who has forcefully denounced violence, and Jack Posobiec, who organized anti-violence rallies weeks prior to Charlottesville. The mainstream media refused to report on these events, while continuing to label him a right-wing extremist and Nazi.

Meanwhile, the establishment “Left” has persistently engaged in violence, without disavowing violence. Project Veritas has exposed and proven the fact that violence is a routine method utilized by Democratic Party operatives. Former president Barack Obama openly encouraged the mobs, pushing them to continue “expressing themselves”. Former Attorney G Loretta Lynch called for blood in the streets. Democratic members of Congress openly call for Trump’s assassination.The Alexandria mass shooting was the work of a Bernie Sanders supporter. The mainstream media ignores or refuses to accurately report these stories.

Staged anarchist agitation and violence—“protest culture”—is not only being normalized, but popularized. The masses are being successfully indoctrinated. Witness the pervasiveness and viciousness of Hollywood and sports celebrities, who have not refrained from calling for violence against Trump.

Orwellian madness on steroids

Even as establishment-guided mobs intimidate and commit violence, their victims are blamed for violence and hate crimes.

Trump is vilified as a world-ending Nazi/fascist/racist/misogynist, the symbol of tyranny, while the true tyrants and criminals continue to walk free.

Peace is achieved through violence.

Mob violence is noble and heroic.

Attacked from all sides

Trump is under attack and increasingly isolated.

Glen Greenwald beg’s the question: What’s worse: Trump’s agenda or empowering generals and CIA operatives to subvert it?

In addition to being assaulted from outside (Purple Revolution, Russia/hack, Robert Mueller, impeachment threats, etc.), he is being sabotaged and subverted from inside the White House, and from inside his innermost circle, by the likes of National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster, Dina Habib Powell and the West Wing globalists including Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner, Gary Cohn, and Steve Mnuchin.

McMaster has purged the administration of Trump loyalists and populists, and replaced with Bush/Obama/Clinton/Deep State operatives, and runs foreign policy with vice president Mike Pence. Pence routinely issues statements contradictory to Trump’s own ideas. He has not been the focus of any mainstream media criticism. This Bush loyalist is in perfect position to become president in the event of Trump’s removal (by whatever means that occurs).

The neocon generals—Mattis, McMaster, Kelly—“oversee” and control Trump on all matters, treating him like a child. Kelly controls all information to and from Trump.

Trump often seems not to understand what is happening. On the day Charlottesville occurred, Trump applauded the Virginia authorities and Terry McAuliffe, who were more likely involved in causing the disaster. Trump also congratulated the anarchists in Boston—on Ivanka Trump’s urging. Was he oblivious to the fact that the 4,000 Boston protestors were protesting him?

For Trump’s Afghanistan strategy address to the nation, Kelly insisted that Trump walk back the controversy of his remarks on Charlottesville. McMaster and Mattis also insisted, and Trump agreed.

The swamp is not being drained. It is being filled to overflowing. With all of this damage, some of it self-inflicted (why has Trump allowed it?), how will this president hope to deal with a manufactured civil war?

No end in sight

The Summer of Rage is in full swing, but the rage is far from over.

There continue to be anti-Trump events in all major cities in the country, seemingly every weekend. Ginned-up Antifa mobs are being mobilized in response to small pro-Trump “Freedom of Speech” events scheduled to take place in San Francisco and Berkeley on the weekend of August 26. The upcoming clash is already being called the Battle of Berkeley 3.

With the fervent and unanimous support of the San Francisco Bay Area political establishment—all of whom are Democratic Party faithful who (including Congresswoman Jackie Speier, Nancy Pelosi, etc.) are openly calling for Trump’s ouster—it is expected that yet another comparatively small gathering for “prayer, patriotism and free speech”—Trump supporters—will be swarmed and viciously shut down by mobs of Trump-hating Antifa and “social justice warriors”.

The media ignores the fact that the organizers of the pro-Trump rally condemn Nazis and white supremacists, and prohibit them from attending. Headlines continue to brand the event “far right” and“Nazi”, in order to incite.
http://www.globalresearch.ca/violent-co ... ty/5605774
_______

The original source of this article is Global Research
Copyright © Larry Chin, Global Research, 2017

~~~

conniption

Postby SonicG » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:54 am

Alinsky and crisis actors.... Haha..."Lucifer"...oooohhh scary...
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby conniption » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:13 am

SonicG » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:54 pm wrote:Alinsky and crisis actors.... Haha..."Lucifer"...oooohhh scary...

ffs, sonicG...for some reason I use to have respect for you. Must have been someone else.
conniption

Postby SonicG » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:37 am

Oh well...
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby liminalOyster » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:02 pm

Dakota Nation Will Bury Sam Durant’s Scaffold

Following the four-day dismantling of Los Angeles–based artist Sam Durant’s sculpture Scaffold, which sparked a public outcry after it was installed in the Walker Art Center’s Sculpture Garden earlier this year, the Dakota Nation has decided to bury the controversial piece in a secret location in Minneapolis.

Before the anticipated opening of the center’s sculpture garden in June, more than one hundred American Indians called for the removal of the work, which was inspired by several gallows used in the United States between 1859 and 2006, including a former gallows in Mankato, Minnesota, where thirty-eight Dakotas were sentenced to death in 1862—the largest mass execution in US history.

The backlash prompted Durant and the director of the Walker Art Center, Olga Viso, to meet with several tribal members to discuss the impact of the piece on the community. They ultimately decided to let the Dakota people dismantle the work. Durant transferred his intellectual property rights for the piece over to the nation, and Viso apologized for failing to consult the Dakotas about the work beforehand. She also pledged to increase the center’s outreach to American Indian communities.

Since Scaffold was taken down, Dakota elders have been debating whether to burn the work but have decided against it. “You cannot use fire to destroy anything,” Ron Leith, an elder serving on a council that was formed to determine the fate of the piece, told Sheila M. Eldred of the New York Times. “People do that all the time, but in our tradition once a fire is lit, it’s sacred; it has a life of its own.”

The 51,000 pounds of wood from the sculpture will be kept in an undisclosed location until the elders of the Dakota Nation can agree on a date to bury what remains of the piece.

https://www.artforum.com/news/id=70900
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby liminalOyster » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:36 am

RED, BLACK, AND BLUE: THE NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY AND CULTURE AND THE NATIONAL MUSEUM OF THE AMERICAN INDIAN

NEARLY ONE YEAR AGO TODAY, the National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) opened to popular excitement and critical acclaim, joining the National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI), inaugurated in 2004, as one of the only racially specific institutions on the National Mall in Washington, DC. Both museums, especially when considered against the dearth of official engagements with black and Native histories, offer vivid testimony to the artifacts, cultures, and struggles of the peoples on which they focus. Yet their presence also raises vital questions about such national projects—Who, ultimately, are they “for,” given what they are museums “of”?—in an era that has witnessed the rise of Black Lives Matter in response to police violence, and ongoing contestations over Native sovereignty and environmental justice at Standing Rock. To take stock of these tensions, art historian and Artforum contributing editor HUEY COPELAND joined theorist FRANK B. WILDERSON III—author of the influential Red, White & Black: Cinema and the Structure of US Antagonisms (2010)—in a candid conversation about the structural logics shaping both museums, in which these scholars at once echo and extend their long-standing dialogue about radical approaches to contemporary culture.

Slave shackles, pre-1860. From “Slavery and Freedom,” 2016–26, National Museum of African American History and Culture, Washington, DC.

HUEY COPELAND: These two museums are prominently placed on the Mall, among the other museums representing national culture, and much has been made of the “inclusiveness” of those gestures. The National Museum of African American History and Culture, for starters, enacts a particular spatial intervention, whose semiotics aren’t subtle: As many have noted, it’s a big, beautiful brown thing interrupting a series of white-marble buildings. The National Museum of the American Indian, on the other hand, doesn’t offer much chromatic contrast. But the undulating lines, unlike the rectilinear structures of most other buildings on the Mall, are almost aerodynamic, so your gaze travels over the surface and keeps on going.

Inside, the spatial logics of each institution are even more divergent, and I think these differences speak volumes about the questions you and I are engaging today. What’s striking when you go into the NMAI is that if you start at the top floor, there is a wonderful multiplicity of pathways before you. The institution really tries to represent a wide, if not exhaustive, range of tribal identities and histories that then come together when you get to the current exhibition about treaties with the US government [“Nation to Nation: Treaties Between the United States and American Indian Nations”]. There’s a respect for these tribes and their many internal distinctions as peoples, who each have a relationship, a claim, to a particular land. In fact, one of the first things you see when you enter the building is a sign reading WELCOME TO NATIVE AMERICA. That is, of course, a kind of fiction, but it’s about claiming the space of this museum as a land that belongs to peoples who have a right to it and a right to be recognized as such, even if the exercise of those rights is more limited beyond the museum’s walls.

Now, the NMAAHC’s logic of display is, more or less, about a voyage toward personhood and “culture”—or the ruse of that narrative. You start in the basement with slavery and you move upward from there in a path that spirals up to Oprah and Obama. So it’s a teleological movement—from slavery to personhood to presidency—that is effectively cleaved from actual history. This narrative allows you to blithely think that a certain kind of historical project has been achieved, when the black body continues to be anything but a person, continues to be this thing that can be murdered, violated, appropriated, reified, and repurposed for any reason whatsoever. And that logic—perhaps more subconsciously than anything else—continues to inform the displays in the “Community” and “Culture” galleries, which are, in one sense, completely about the commodification of black bodies: whether in the sports section, where you have gleaming silver statues of the Williams sisters and the space feels like a Foot Locker, or the music section, which took me back to the days of the Sam Goody record store (but where, amazingly, the museum has given P-Funk’s Mothershippride of place). In both instances, you’re engaging with these incredible artifacts and histories, but in galleries that resemble tricked-out spaces of consumption—that package blackness in forms that we’re already comfortable consuming under the guise of expressions of personal or collective achievement, as opposed to revealing that such expressions are always tied to a broader logic of commodification that would deny both black personhood and collectivity altogether.

What do these differences mean now, and what are we to make of these particular institutions devoted to American Indian and African American history and culture in relation to the ongoing project of settler colonialism—in which foreigners variously invade, conquer, and subjugate indigenous lands and populations so that they might be remade in an imperial image? What are the ramifications not only for the reproduction of the American nation-state but also for a larger global order whose power relations are equally structured by the logic of antiblackness?

FRANK WILDERSON: That’s the big question, and the important one. The NMAAHC reminds me of growing up in the ’60s and ’70s when blaxploitation came up. You knew that it was blaxploitation, that it was an exploitation of the most racist stereotypes, but just seeing black characters on the screen was so joyful that you went to every single movie.

HC: [Laughter.] Even if you were depicted as a pimp or a prostitute in every scene!

FW: Exactly. The words to the song “Superfly” made no difference. Superfly’s “hustle was wrong,” as Curtis Mayfield sang, but it didn’t matter. We let ourselves be deluded into conceiving of blaxploitation as genuine recognition and incorporation, since we hadn’t had that for so long in film. Now, I don’t want to demonize the NMAAHC in the way that one might demonize blaxploitation. On the other hand, I do want to say that it’s interesting that on day one, there’s a five-block-long line of people waiting to get in, and the majority are black. The audience was not diverse. And yet when the museum’s leadership, the director and architects, talk about its inspiration and its mission, inclusiveness is the buzzword that is constantly invoked.

The Treaty of Canandaigua, signed by the Grand Council of the Six Nations and George Washington, 1794. From “Nation to Nation: Treaties Between the United States and American Indian Nations,” 2014–21, National Museum of the American Indian, Washington, DC.

HC: Especially with the liberal narratives of progress that surround the NMAAHC.

FW: There’s an expectation that the NMAAHC is going to start a national conversation about race or be a major contributor to one. The other expectation is that, yes, the museum is about blacks, but it’s really for everyone. This is really different from the NMAI, which is about Native people and for Native people, as well as everyone else. A sign saying WELCOME TO BLACK AMERICA at the entrance of the NMAAHC would be a scandal. But WELCOME TO NATIVE AMERICA is not a (mainstream) scandal. You cannot be black, Frantz Fanon reminds us, with impunity.

So the narratives of racial “inclusion” and black social “progress” that the NMAAHC deploys are symptoms of what Jared Sexton calls “the anxiety of antagonism”: There’s always an anxiety about whether there’s a place for blacks and the kind of poison pill that we represent in the national psyche. Because unlike the Native American, the black American’s (or the slave’s) paradigm of subjugation is total—it’s the usurpation of subjectivity that is at the core of black subjugation, rather than the usurpation of land (for the Indian) or labor power (for the worker). For the slave, there is no surplus value to be restored to the time of labor. And no treaties between blacks and the government are in Washington waiting to be signed or ratified. Unlike the settler in the Native American political imagination, there is no place like Europe to which blacks or slaves can send our antagonists back. Humanity itself is the antagonist of the slave. That’s a much more systemic problem. Which is why I call blackness a poison pill. What do you do with a group of people against whom the whole world is at war? Mainstream institutions of representation, no matter how liberal, aren’t willing to wallow in this contradiction. So the museum suddenly has to do two things. It has to elaborate and illustrate and represent black achievements. But it’s also got to make the rest of the world feel safe. And yet, in fact, these are distinctly different projects.

HC: Yes!

FW: To take a line out of your book Bound to Appear [2013]: “While these interventions reflect a dramatic social and political sea change on the level of representation—emblematized by the US Senate’s woefully belated June 18, 2009, apology for slavery—the lasting import of rhetorical returns to the ‘peculiar institution’ remains to be seen: revolution on the ground, let alone reparation to the national fabric, has never seemed less tenable.”

I think that’s incredibly relevant, because here we have this $540 million museum with $270 million coming from the state, $21 million coming from Oprah, and more from other private sources. This is a dramatic change at the level of representation. But the fact that “reparation to the national fabric has never seemed less tenable” is the real context of the NMAAHC’s emergence.

HC: Still, when I went to the museum, I was amazed at the sense of a space of black gathering and engagement, where all kinds of real talk—articulations that might be at cross-purposes with the stated ambitions of the museum—could take place. Let alone the wonder of seeing all those black folks together. The possibility of a kind of alternative gathering, of what Fred Moten and Stefano Harney have so brilliantly theorized as an “undercommons,” was there. This struck me, too, because the first time I went to the museum, I waited in line for day-of tickets—I didn’t get in—and the conversations taking place with other folks queuing up, with the vendors hawking Michelle Obama tote bags, were energizing and sobering and revelatory in ways that I couldn’t have anticipated.

So for me, the spectacle of all of us coming together around this space was just as interesting as what the museum was offering up—particularly knowing that that audience itself had the possibility to do something else with its collectivity, something that the museum might not countenance or even imagine. It’s those kinds of gatherings or spaces that are actually incredibly important and valuable. Because of course we know that, structurally and historically, the place of blacks is no place, right? So with these crowds and this moment—this pause—there is a site of gathering where we can make a place of and for blackness, of and for our relationships to one another, of and for the kinds of possibility that might emerge elsewhere.

FW: To even see the shell of accommodation of different constituents, of engagements—that means something different happened in the space that day. It’s encouraging that you had that experience.

And, of course, I know the kind of narrative that circles around this period from 2003, when George W. Bush signs the legislation for the museum’s creation, until 2016, when Barack Obama says on opening day, “We’re not a burden on America, or a stain on America, or an object of pity or charity for America.” I understand you can’t actually do anything with big dollars without that kind of packaging, in which the history of African Americans is made palatable, unthreatening, and a conduit for “inclusion.”

But it’s my job and your job as critical theorists to join in with the black joy but also to be the skeptics.

View of “Slavery and Freedom,” 2016–26, National Museum of African American History and Culture, Washington, DC. Photo: Eric Long.

HC: Agreed—and if I could backtrack a little: I don’t think your blaxploitation comparison demonizes the NMAAHC. I think it’s brilliant and useful, because it points to the question, Who is speaking, and for what?, which we as skeptics always need to ask. In that regard, and I don’t want to overstate the difference, maybe the NMAI broaches these issues more self-reflexively—a bit more skeptically—than the NMAAHC because of its particular history. Both at the NMAI and in the discourse that has emerged around it, there is a consistent engagement with the complexities of questions like: What does it mean to put forward a Native museology? How do you build a museum that is not always already part of a colonial project? And how do you imagine this institution as one that can make space for and entertain something radically decolonial, that has an antagonistic relationship to the nation-state? If the real potential of these museums is as spaces for the activation of alternative kinds of knowledge, ontology, and community—and for the kinds of speaking, the kinds of conversation, that can transpire in such spaces—then I think you see this more strongly worked through at the NMAI, where there are rooms that seem visibly off-limits to non-Native visitors, since they are earmarked for indigenous-community gatherings. There is an intimation of spaces for autonomy and contestation, for which the museum becomes a platform.

At the NMAAHC, by contrast, while there are institutional frames for black engagement, it’s harder to find places where the “speaker” is not an archetypal liberal (though I don’t mean to demonize those, either) who steadfastly pretends that if we can just get inclusive enough, such questions will answer themselves or won’t even need to be asked. I think the liberal rhetoric that you hear from the lead architect, David Adjaye, is one that has to speak not only to a certain kind of accommodationist nationalist narrative—accompanied by a belief that all differences can eventually be incorporated into a seamless fabric—but also to corporate interests. And that means, echoing Sexton’s anxiety of antagonism, that the rhetoric of both of these institutions necessarily trades in a certain refusal, an antagonism toward historical fact. So at the NMAI, even if in some respects the presentation is less accommodationist, the museum, as critics like Sonya Atalay and Jennifer A. Shannon have argued, still trades in the language of “conflict” as opposed to “genocide.” And the NMAAHC talks about the “uneven” history of black people in America, as opposed to the rapacious, ongoing extraction of value from black bodies.

Such antiantagonistic language allows the museums to bring a national project in line with the corporate interests that want to continue the extraction of value from black bodies and Native lands. Even when you see the contemporaneity of these processes, you cannot ignore the branding: At the NMAAHC, there’s the Oprah Winfrey Theater, and the NMAI is partly sponsored by the Harrah’s Foundation, of casino fame. These are the economic possibilities that the institutions rely on, implicitly testifying to models of black success or corporate collaboration with Native communities as ways forward. These are the economic possibilities that the institutions respectively pose as open to these populations, giving evidence of models of black success or corporate collaboration with Native communities as ways forward. The question is, then, Are these merely representational bandages that cover over the ongoing reproduction of the economies of power and extraction of which slavery and genocide are only the most extreme instantiations?

Because even at the moment that these economies and histories are somehow supposed to be reckoned with, they risk being all the more firmly suppressed. One of the first things you see in the NMAAHC, for instance, is a wall label that says, “Objects define a museum.” And I thought, “Really?!” What does it mean, given the history of black people as objects of property themselves, to say that material remains define a museum, especially since so much of black culture—to say nothing of black peoples—is literally and figuratively lost? How might we think about those terms differently, in working toward a radical museology that reckons with, rather than sidesteps, the imbrication of museum cultures in the maintenance and reproduction of antiblack ideologies?

Now, the NMAI is trying to create narratives that are hemispheric and tribal—reaching across North and South, East and West—as opposed to national. The museum resists the nation-state as a frame, even though that’s ultimately the container the institution is in. And it gestures toward a larger diasporic economy—about the movement and exchange of indigenous peoples—that also characterizes how the NMAAHC has aimed to address the ways in which blackness is produced and circulated globally. But at the end of the day, those possibilities aren’t fully explored in order to think about what this kind of black institution would have to be to generate narratives that go against the status quo and that, at least potentially, have politically liberatory effects—because the museum would have to be radically, deeply other to itself in order to do so.

FW: It couldn’t get funded if it were radically, deeply other to itself.

HC: [Laughter.] Right?! And as scholars like LeRonn P. Brooks have shown, the very contested histories of the NMAAHC, of how it came to be, are themselves accounts of how structural racism continues to unfold and reproduce itself.

But within the museum, aside from a few vitrines at the outset, there isn’t a unified effort to tell us how the objects and materials at the NMAAHC have arrived there, whether through theft or donation or other forms of “acquisition.” While there are many opportunities to mark these larger social processes in relationship to objects, those systemic inequities and structures of violence are not consistently staged or taken up, because to do so would be to confront people with the persistence of those structures in the present—as opposed to safely sealing them within a container that is now consumable as “history,” which, strangely enough in a black museum, is spatially bifurcated from “culture.”

FW: Consumable history to be consumed as spectacle, at that. But you also have something else at the NMAI, which could start creating alternate spaces, rooms that are off-limits to nonmembers, so to speak. The sense that these are people, and that there are going to be spaces for them as a people, is a major part of the libidinal economy, which is constantly being repressed or disavowed in putatively black spaces where the project pretends to be a celebration of black personhood.

In other words, the NMAAHC functions at the level of spectacle; the NMAI functions via articulation, through exchanges and transfers and treaties, even if those articulations end up in conflict and genocide. Articulation does not happen between masters and slaves. But articulation is the essential modality of the settler-native conflict.

HC: Yes.

Shawl given to Harriet Tubman by Queen Victoria, ca. 1897. From “Slavery and Freedom,” 2016–26, National Museum of African American History and Culture, Washington, DC.

FW: I’m not saying, “Hey, recognize me as a person”—I don’t think that’s actually possible. I think that personhood can only be coherent because blackness exists as a foil to that coherence.

I think that from birth to death, we go through a kind of madness that is different for all kinds of black people. But we go through life knowing there’s no place in which our blackness belongs. “Black America,” even as a metaphor, is a contradiction in terms. Lincoln said this when he wanted freed slaves to colonize Central America and Liberia. What we need in a black museum is the space to talk about that dynamic: the comprehensive psychic and material isolation we’ve been subjected to even in stories and exhibitions about our struggles! Instead, we have the extremely violent hydraulics of our history disavowed and repressed in the NMAAHC. So when Adjaye says, “For me, it has always been about creating a museum that has a specific narrative alongside a universal message,” well, boom, there we are: dead in the water! And we didn’t even have to get on Lincoln’s boat to Belize.

It’s unfortunate that we’re having this conversation after the fact, that we don’t have a room in “our” museum to talk about these issues, let alone produce a conceptual framework. This is precisely the crowding-out scenario that I call anger management. It’s part of a disciplinary project of structural racism, and sometimes it appears in blackface.

For example, I’m thinking of that teleological movement, of the NMAAHC trajectory you brilliantly outlined at the beginning: from slavery up to personhood and Obama. This is a telos of progress that the facts don’t support. I would hope for a place where we could confront the enigma of blackness, could actually critique telos itself. Then, instead of succumbing to the anxiety of antagonism and using blacks to represent the same human capacity from which we’re barred, ab initio, we could think, collectively, about what is ignored when a time line of progress is imposed on a group of sentient beings whose temporal capacity is not recognized or incorporated in the collective unconscious of the world. The world doesn’t recognize the time of black dispossession; the world doesn’t accept that blackness possessed a prior plenitude (a state of being a human subject) before slaves were made of us. Whereas a prior plenitude for Native Americans (land, custom, culture, and, above all, sovereignty) is something both genociders and the indigenous genocided can agree on.

Black dispossession is a snarl, because the libidinal economy doesn’t have the means to know it, since its victim is the thing against which humans define themselves and not, like the Indian, a degraded form of humanity that is human nonetheless. But it is also because of the terror of looking the absence of subjectivity in the face, as opposed to the dispossession of aspects of subjectivity. The latter, the history of Native peoples, is a form of narrative plenitude; the arrival of the colonizer is the dispossession of this prior plenitude. The return of Turtle Island to its rightful occupants would be the third movement in that narrative progression—the restoration of plenitude.

What is not being considered is the idea, which you and I and others have written about, that blackness does not have a prior plenitude that can be disimbricated from slavery, in the way that indigeneity has a prior plenitude that can, in fact, be disimbricated from colonialism. And yet we don’t have space in our museum for that to find expression in words and images. It’s the dilemma, or the trauma, of the kind of structural violence that doesn’t have a prior plenitude that occupies the psyche of every single black person moving through that museum—but they’ve got to put that trauma on lockdown to engage the museum. Or, as you’ve said, they have to find a trickster or counter way of engaging it—to use masks, in the way that black people would mask voodoo deities with Roman Catholic saints.

HC: I love that. I think one of the many aspects of the NMAAHC that speaks to this problem—to this desire for a respectable teleological narrative—and to questions of perpetuity and recursiveness is the way in which there’s no comprehensive framing of black desire and black perversity, let alone LGBTQI questions, within the museum. It’s, “Oh, here’s James Baldwin, here’s Bayard Rustin, here’s Audre Lorde, they were important (and gay),” as opposed to thinking about what it would mean to foreground the importance of LGBTQI subjects and subject positions to black freedoms and struggles; or thinking about the ways in which the victimization of that population continues to elucidate the ongoing threat to black bodies from all kinds of violence—structural, medical, you name it. But to confront black desire would demand an understanding of blackness itself as something that’s necessarily perverse, that enables the contestation of any institutional or categorical imperative, and that, as Cedric Robinson so famously noted, is part and parcel of a thoroughgoing critique of Western civilization. We have to put pressure on all forms of representation and whom we think we are in fact representing, or think can be represented, in a given frame. And that would mean challenging linear narratives of progress and respectability, and instead conceiving of a black or queer approach to the unfolding of history from the bottom up.

FW: It’s building on the idea that blackness can be nothing but queerness. In other words, the heteronormative stability of filiation is linked to the limitless and unnamable sexual violence we have been subjected to since day one (389,000 slaves were bred like cattle into four million slaves in less than two generations), which makes any pretense of a heteronormative blackness untenable and unethical.

HC: Then what do we do with this museum? What would it mean to imagine alternative spaces or modes of thinking both within and beyond the museum?

FW: That’s heavy. What do you think?

HC: I think that for a number of folks associated with an Afro-pessimist or black radical position, it is nearly impossible to represent, say, slavery in ways that fundamentally differ from the tropes we’ve already got. So what would it mean to create spaces that are not beholden to the work of narrative, explanation, cultural justification, or black respectability? Spaces where we can plot the possibilities of the truly revolutionary and the radically decolonial?

Continental Army private Prince Simbo’s powder horn, 1777. From “Slavery and Freedom,” 2016–26, National Museum of African American History and Culture, Washington, DC.

FW: That would be a very vibrant space for black people, and a very dangerous space for everyone else. [Laughter.]

If we actually had that kind of sanctioned space, it would mean that everyone else would have to acknowledge that the regime of violence that saturates blackness does not have a corollary or cannot be reconciled with the regime of violence that saturates Native American history. And then they have to go one step further, and say that the telos of “We shall overcome,” which many black people live by, has to recognize that the narrative form that allows other oppressed groups’ struggle stories to be told is dependent on the fact that blackness cannot tell that struggle story: because, again, there is no prior plenitude that precedes our struggle, unlike with the semiotics of colonial struggle and violence. In part, because colonial violence has characteristics that are adjacent to other forms of violence. Colonial violence is adjacent to the violence of capitalism in the same way that the word cat acquires meaning because of its adjacency to tiger and leopard.

But the ultimate meaning of colonial violence is not found in what’s adjacent to it, but in what it is not. Its opposition is to the regime of violence that subjugates blackness, and this is what Orlando Patterson articulates in Slavery and Social Death [1982], where he says that every structure of domination needs an ocean of violence to get it kick-started. It takes an ocean of violence over two hundred years to convert people into workers, to discipline them into temporalities that are new and more constricting—and to have them imagine their lives within those constraints: urbanization, mechanization, factories.It takes an ocean of violence to produce the position of the “Indian.” Once the system of domination is set up, then the violence goes into remission, and only rears its ugly head again when the people who have assumed their positions start to rebel against the hegemonic constraints.

But, Patterson says, slavery operates according to a completely different logic of violence. It takes an ocean of violence to produce a slave, singular or plural, but that violence never goes into remission. The prehistory of violence that establishes slavery is also the ongoing, concurrent history of slavery once it is established. And that blows your mind. What it means is that you can’t make sense out of police killings the way a proletarian or a Native person can. The murder of black people has to be explained less through Marx and more through the work of a Sexton or a David Marriott or a Saidiya Hartman on libidinal economy. Because what the murders of black folks do is produce community for people who aren’t black; it’s a mode of pleasure and an anchor for coherence. One can look at the regime of violence that subjugates blacks and say, “If I am submitted to that kind of violence, it really won’t be that kind of violence because it will come with a reason, whereas for blacks, it is always prelogical.” Baldwin, as he’s nearing death, says it all in The Evidence of Things Not Seen [1985]: Murdering our children is what it means to be a nation. Few of us, during our so-called productive years, are able to be that honest; we keep looking for a telos, we keep trying to shield ourselves from genealogical isolation by drawing analogies between our suffering and that of, say, Native peoples—knowing, if only in our preconscious, that our regimes of violence are not alike.

HC: It’s worth remembering that while there’s a lot of time, money, labor, and attention invested in these particular buildings—these monuments, these physical, material manifestations—such formations are always haunted by theft and death. (And the ongoing threats of both, which the recent discoveries of nooses left in the NMAAHC have soberly underlined.) But it is heartening, in a way, that even as it forwards a particular vision of black experience that inspires both racial hate and celebration, the NMAAHC has still become a gathering place and a spur for alternative readings. And the museum has arrived at almost the same time as the emergence of new forms in politics, like Black Lives Matter, and art, like Theaster Gates and Eliza Myrie’s Black Artists Retreat, both of which are precisely about creating spaces of quasi autonomy where black folks can talk real to one another without the explicit imposition of some kind of respectability for an outside audience, where the plotting of new possibilities can unfold. So perhaps the most interesting places to look, aesthetically and politically, are these more ephemeral formations of people—which are just as materially rich as museums of things—because they are premised on the desires of actual, living, breathing black bodies, as opposed to our inevitable fate as the corpses on which institutions, regardless of their color, continue to be built.

Huey Copeland is an associate professor of art history at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, and a contributing editor of Artforum.

Frank B. Wilderson III is a professor in the department of African American studies at University of California, Irvine.

https://www.artforum.com/inprint/issue=201707&id=70457
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion