NPR Watch

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: NPR Watch

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:27 pm

NPR certainly relies with disheartening frequency on right-wing think tanks and often parrots the corporate, proto-fascist narrative and general consumerist culture. It's hard to believe it is still considered "liberal" or left-wing.

Still, for my money, it is leaps and bounds above CNN, Fox and the remaining outlets where most Americans get their news. And its culture, science and entertainment programming is quality. Also, my state NPR affiliate has been the only place for me to discover new music and hear local artists for years.

So I get the well-deserved criticism, but I can't exactly join in an NPR hate-fest either.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elvis » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Even Pacifists Must Support This War

By Scott Simon

:barf:

I just cannot stand him. Yuk. I sometimes suffer through his jabber, always noting his angle.

mentalgongfu2 wrote:Still, for my money, it is leaps and bounds above CNN, Fox and the remaining outlets where most Americans get their news. And its culture, science and entertainment programming is quality.

So I get the well-deserved criticism, but I can't exactly join in an NPR hate-fest either.

All true! I'm listening right now. Lots of gushing over Robert Siegel.

Cordelia wrote:Washington NPR week day talk-show doyenne Diane Rehm

I surely miss Diane, one of the best. The affiliate that carried her here put her show on at bloody midnight—and she asked much tougher questions than most, and didn't let people get away with doubletalk.

You know who I also miss—the former Sunday morning host Liane Hansen. I just adore her.

Reminds me—who listens to the Sunday puzzle with Will Shortz? This week's cliffhanger was pretty easy. I hesitate to enter... if I'm selected to go on air, with my luck I'd get a game about "sports" or something of which I know nothing.

Oh and about the new "1A' program... is there ever a day when a Washington Post correspondent isn't there? Seems like every day (truth is I don't listen to it every day) he has people from New York Times, Washington Post and Wall Street Urinal (it's not The Wall Street Journal since Murdoch). I'd love to hear Noam Chomsky join the analysis (actually mostly speculation from the reporters)...now THAT would be interesting.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Cordelia » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Gushing about Siegel's grandiloquent preaching ends tomorrow w/his retirement. Mary Louise Kelly is his replacement (I thought Ari Shapiro). Siegel contradicting himself back in 2010:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuR8OeLlGPI

Speaking of annoying, anybody remember 'The Annoying Music' show, presented by Jim Nayder (rip http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/arts/ ... at-59.html)?

Two well-chosen songs come to mind.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfeQ3wuvXn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdA_ZHjLxbU

Music show I enjoy & appreciate on NPR is Fiona Ritchie's 'Thistle & Shamrock'.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:49 pm

People in Washington, DC, lined up at midnight to buy an explosive Trump book — and it sold out at one store in 20 minutes
http://www.businessinsider.com/fire-and ... ore-2018-1

Temperatures were in the single digits and dipped below 0 numerous times in the last week, yet over the weekend, “Live from Washington,” NPR news headline stories were only about The Book ‘he said, he said’ Tell-all.......

Meanwhile......

Blocks from White House, a freezing tent is home

Last Updated On 07 January,2018 09:25 am

AFP) - Two sleeping bags and "many blankets" are not enough to keep Jin Yang-Hun comfortable in the pup tent in which he lives just blocks from the White House.

Yet Jin isn’t going anywhere, even as dangerously cold wind chills are forecast to sweep across the eastern United States this weekend.

Jin, a US citizen originally from South Korea, is among almost 7,500 homeless people in the United States capital.

Many stay in emergency shelters but some like Jin prefer to live outside even in below-freezing temperatures.

"My situation is terrible," says Jin, 54.

Scattered on sidewalks in the city’s business and university district, the tents are an incongruous site which the city’s more fortunate pass on their way to offices, bars and restaurants.

In the past five years Washington, DC’s homeless numbers have "increased dramatically," says Kate Wiley, marketing and communications manager of the non-profit group So Others Might Eat (SOME).

She thinks Washington’s numbers are the highest per capita in the country, and cites the lack of affordable housing as a major cause.

Continued....
http://dunyanews.tv/en/World/422370-Blo ... nt-is-home

Just an hour from the Nation's Capital, elementary school students in Baltimore classrooms without heat:

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Earlier in the week a friend sent me the following drivel heard on an NPR affiliate to promote “Charlottesville Couple Launches The Beliefs Project in Response to a Summer of Hate". (Example of the kind of NPR listening experience I Iove to hate.)

"In the wealthy enclave..........."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7MWriNIARQ

Charlottesville Couple Launches The Beliefs Project in Response to a Summer of Hate

http://wvtf.org/post/charlottesville-co ... ummer-hate

Minutes later, I listened to a fascinating discussion about the intelligence of Octopuses on '1-A' (Diane Rehm's replacement show, w/new sycophantic yes-man host), which I thoroughly enjoyed (substitute host) and think I really need to contribute some $$. :oops:
Tuesday, Jan 09 2018 • 11 a.m. (ET)

Bearing Arms: The Amazing World Of The Octopus

https://the1a.org/shows/2018-01-09/the- ... he-octopus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE0QqxwyL_8

Elvis » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:33 am wrote:
I surely miss Diane, one of the best. The affiliate that carried her here put her show on at bloody midnight—and she asked much tougher questions than most, and didn't let people get away with doubletalk.

She's hosting a weekly Podcast:

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381443514/ ... on-my-mind

Cordelia

Postby Elvis » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Cordelia wrote:She's hosting a weekly Podcast:

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381443514/ ... on-my-mind

Oh thanks!

While I'm here, I heard Steve Inskeep say the other day in a promo that listening to Morning Edition™ will "keep you in step" with events.

Uh huh.

Inskeep has a penchant for repeating misinformation (as I've noted in the San Bernadino shootings thread). Just the sound of his voice pricks up my ears.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:17 pm

The program "Hidden Brain" this morning was very good. It's not listed on their site yet but here's the About on Hidden Brain:

https://www.npr.org/2015/09/03/43726404 ... dden-brain

Now listening to "Wait Wait"...longtime Paula Poundstone fan.

Actually I love Saturdays with NPR on most of the day. Gotta catch "Says You" at six.
Elvis

Postby Cordelia » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:02 pm

Last night, an interview on 'All Things Considered' aired another round of shilling for the CDC and Big Pharma; encouraging flu shots, despite the low efficacy rate for the vaccine during this year’s higher than usual rate of infections......http://wfit.org/post/flu-virus-increase ... art-attack

At the end of the interview (after increasing my blood pressure),........

AUBREY: Now, a young person who is normally healthy is very unlikely to have a heart attack when they get the flu. In this study, those who ended up suffering a cardiovascular event during the flu were older.

KWONG: Most of them were over 65, and a lot of them also had risk factors for heart disease already.

The new warning of the risk of heart-attack was immediately followed by an over-the-top, spoon-fed interview about the danger of malfunctioning Takata airbags......http://wfit.org/post/takata-expands-lar ... on-airbags

FRIEDMAN: Well, it is stunning, isn't it? I mean, they're already up to 50 million air bags recalled, and we already know it's going to head north to maybe 65 or 70 million air bags.

CHANG: Wow.

FRIEDMAN: And the reason why it's cycling through like this is different air bags are at greater risk. So if you have an older air bag or an air bag that's been in a region of the country with high humidity and significant changes in temperature, your car is much more likely to have an air bag explode, with shrapnel ripping through that airbag potentially killing or injuring people.

(I was temped to go out asap for my shot but changed my mind due to my new phobia of riding in a car.)

National Panic Radio; don't leave home without it.

Cordelia

Postby Elvis » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:38 pm

one needn't be aware that one is an asset to any given entity in order to BE an asset to that entity.

So very, very true. :whistling:
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:52 pm

I could post in this thread every day. I can't keep up with the bullshit aired on NPR.

I didn't know until today that NPR's national political correspondent Mara Liasson is also a regular contributor to Fox. :roll:

Her claim that Medicare for All is a "majority unpopular position" is a lie. Lair lair pantsuit on fire.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/02/14 ... alth-care/

February 14, 2020
NPR and the Escalating Attack on Single-Payer Health Care
by Russell Mokhiber

National Public Radio’s Mara Liasson this weekend entered a new term into the corporate liberal establishment’s attack on single payer healthcare.

Mandatory Medicare for All.

As in — do you want Bernie Sanders’ Mandatory Medicare for All — or Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s Voluntary Medicare for Those Who Want It?

It was the first time that the term “Mandatory Medicare for All” popped into the mainstream debate over single payer national health insurance.

On NPR’s Weekend Edition broadcast, Liasson reported that Buttigieg “has been pushing back against Sanders’ more extreme positions, like mandatory ‘Medicare for All’ with his own voluntary Medicare buy-in for those who want it.”

She then reported that Sanders “is one of the most ideologically defined politicians in America. He’s been saying the same things for 40 years. And many of the things he’s calling for, whether it’s mandatory Medicare for All or taxing everyone to pay for it, are majority unpopular positions in battleground states.”

Leaders of the single payer movement were taken aback by the use of the term and did not know where it came from.

Andrea Witte, a single payer activist from Tucson, Arizona, said she had not heard the expression before.

“Like other Medicare for All naysayers in the corporate media, Liasson is trying to indict Medicare for All by adding the negative right-wing framing of ‘mandatory government program,’ while she contrasts it with Buttigieg’s ‘voluntary; public option,” Witte said. “It’s like saying ‘mandatory clean air and water’ or ‘mandatory fire department coverage’ to try to drive down support for those public goods. Also, I do not know about any polls that back her claim that Medicare for All is unpopular in battleground states — especially in a Democratic primary.”

“I do not know where the phrasing originated but certainly it sounds like campaign rhetoric,” said Matt Bruenig of the People’s Policy Project. “As to what I think about it, I don’t mind it except to the extent that it is used to suggest Mayor Pete’s plan is a purely voluntary affair. It is not. Under his plan, employers can change or eliminate your health insurance any time they want, including putting you on to his public option whether you want to be on it or not. In his plan, uninsured people will be fined upwards of $7,000 per year in a supercharged version of the unpopular Obamacare mandate. All health care proposals serious about universal coverage require these kinds of rules. Mayor Pete’s is no different in that regard. It just applies it’s coercion towards a worse end than Medicare for All, namely worse coverage at a higher cost.”

Kevin Zeese of Health Over Profit for Everyone (HOPE) called the phrase “creative propaganda.”

“This is the first time I’ve heard this poll and focus group tested PR term,” Zeese said. “The thieves that rip people off with insurance and high prices are good at inflammatory words to confuse people. And, ‘liberal’ NPR is the perfect place to get the phrase out.”

“The way mandatory is being used by NPR is to make Buttigieg’s completely unworkable ‘Medicare for those who want it’ sound appealing and Sanders’ Medicare for All sound extreme,” said HOPE’s Margaret Flowers. “Buttigieg’s plan would keep our current complicated expensive and unjust system intact and would continue the same problems we have now of people not having health insurance and even if they do have insurance, not being able to afford care. Medicare for all means everyone can get healthcare if they want it. Nothing is forced. It just means that if someone needs or wants to go to the doctor they can.”

“The current Medicare is complicated,” Flowers said. “Everyone is enrolled in the traditional Medicare plan, but if you want a supplemental plan or a pharmaceutical plan, you have to enroll in that yourself separately. Medicare for All would mean that everyone could get the healthcare they need under one system.”

Don McCanne of Physicians for a National Health Program said that the term mandatory Medicare “does feed into the moderates’ view that single payer Medicare for All represents government overreach.”

“A better term would be automatic Medicare,” McCanne said. “Everyone would automatically be enrolled in Medicare for All regardless of the taxes that they may or may not be required to pay to finance the system. People who qualify don’t reject Medicare today. Why would they reject Medicare in a truly universal program that is affordable for each of us?”

Dr. John Geyman, author of a number of books on single payer, says that this is the first he’s heard of the term “mandatory Medicare.”

It looks like a gambit against progressive challenges on health care,” Geyman said. “There is no credibility to the argument against Medicare for All that it will cost Americans a lot more through new taxes. That ignores all the big savings that go with it. The work of the two economist groups at the University of Massachusetts Amherst show how we will pay for it through progressive taxes whereby only those with annual incomes more than $400,000 will pay more. The moderate Democrats have no answer to health care reform, just delaying the inevitable by such approaches as the public option.”

Former insurance industry public relations executive Wendell Potter, who is currently with Business for Medicare for All, says this was the first time he’s seen the term used.

“It could be a term that some in the media — and single payer opponents — are using as a shorthand way of saying there would not be a private insurance option and everyone would be required to enroll in Medicare,” Potter said. “My feeling is that it has negative connotations and that we very likely will see it show up more in the future. My team and I will monitor the use of the term.”

David Himmelstein and Steffie Woolhandler, two founders of Physicians for a National Health Program, said that they too had never heard the term.

“Medicare for All would be, and should be, mandatory, just as Medicare is currently mandatory,” they said. “At present, everyone eligible for Medicare is automatically enrolled.”

This article first appeared in the Corporate Crime Reporter.

Russell Mokhiber is the editor of the Corporate Crime Reporter.

Let's be clear: Sanders plan calls for no cost to the user, no premiums, no bills, no co-pays. No bullshit.
Elvis

Postby Grizzly » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:01 am

NPR/Koch

Update: NPR refuses to disclose how much they receive from Koch Industries
https://www.reddit.com/r/NPR/comments/bbf19y/update_npr_refuses_to_disclose_how_much_they/
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Previous

Return to General Discussion