Closer to Mars

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Closer to Mars

Postby BenDhyan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:21 am

I've always thought that there may be heaps of water under the surface of Mars, and that there would be life somewhere. Well the first part apparently is correct, now waiting for the life part.

New Study Challenges Long-Held Theory of Fate of Mars' Water

March 16, 2021

The new science results indicate that a large quantity of the Red Planet’s water is trapped in its crust rather than having escaped into space.

Billions of years ago, according to geological evidence, abundant water flowed across Mars and collected into pools, lakes, and deep oceans. New NASA-funded research shows a substantial quantity of its water – between 30 and 99% – is trapped within minerals in the planet’s crust, challenging the current theory that due to the Red Planet’s low gravity, its water escaped into space.

Early Mars was thought to have enough water to have covered the whole planet in an ocean roughly 100 to 1,500 meters (330 to 4,920 feet) deep – a volume roughly equivalent to half of Earth’s Atlantic Ocean. While some of this water undeniably disappeared from Mars via atmospheric escape, the new findings, published in the latest issue of Science, conclude it does not account for most of its water loss.

The results were presented at the 52nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference (LPSC) by lead author and Caltech Ph.D. candidate Eva Scheller along with co-authors Bethany Ehlmann, professor of planetary science at Caltech and associate director for the Keck Institute for Space Studies; Yuk Yung, professor of planetary science at Caltech and senior research scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory; Danica Adams, Caltech graduate student; and Renyu Hu, JPL research scientist.

“Atmospheric escape doesn’t fully explain the data that we have for how much water actually once existed on Mars,” said Scheller.

Using a wealth of cross-mission data archived in NASA’s Planetary Data System (PDS), the research team integrated data from multiple NASA Mars Exploration Program missions and meteorite lab work. Specifically, the team studied the quantity of water on the Red Planet over time in all its forms (vapor, liquid, and ice) and the chemical composition of the planet’s current atmosphere and crust, looking in particular at the ratio of deuterium to hydrogen (D/H).

Cont...

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8888/new-study-challenges-long-held-theory-of-fate-of-mars-water/?site=insight

Ben D
BenDhyan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Blue » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:11 pm

It's Happening! NASA's Mars Helicopter Has Touched Down on The Red Planet
AFP5 APRIL 2021

(pics at link)
https://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-happe ... red-planet

NASA's Ingenuity mini-helicopter has been dropped on the surface of Mars in preparation for its first flight, the US space agency said.

The ultra-light aircraft had been fixed to the belly of the Perseverance rover, which touched down on the Red Planet on February 18.

"MarsHelicopter touchdown confirmed!" NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory tweeted Saturday.

"Its 293 million mile (471 million kilometer) journey aboard @NASAPersevere ended with the final drop of 4 inches (10 centimeter) from the rover's belly to the surface of Mars today. Next milestone? Survive the night."

#MarsHelicopter touchdown confirmed! Its 293 million mile (471 million km) journey aboard @NASAPersevere ended with the final drop of 4 inches (10 cm) from the rover's belly to the surface of Mars today. Next milestone? Survive the night. https://t.co/TNCdXWcKWE pic.twitter.com/XaBiSNebua

— NASA JPL (@NASAJPL) April 4, 2021
A photograph accompanying the tweet showed Perseverance had driven clear of the helicopter and its "airfield" after dropping to the surface.

Ingenuity had been feeding off the Perseverance's power system but will now have to use its own battery to run a vital heater to protect its unshielded electrical components from freezing and cracking during the bitter Martian night.

"This heater keeps the interior at about 45 degrees F [7 degrees Celsius] through the bitter cold of the Martian night, where temperatures can drop to as low as -130F [-90 degrees Celsius]," Bob Balaram, Mars Helicopter Project chief engineer at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, wrote in an update on Friday.

"That comfortably protects key components such as the battery and some of the sensitive electronics from harm at very cold temperatures."

Over the next couple of days, the Ingenuity team will check that the helicopter's solar panels are working properly and recharging its battery before testing its motors and sensors ahead of its first flight, Balaram said.

Ingenuity is expected to make its first flight attempt no earlier than April 11, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory tweeted.

Come fly with us. #MarsHelicopter is preparing to do something that's never been done: controlled, powered flight on another planet. Takeoff is now slated for no earlier than April 11, with data arriving on Earth on April 12. https://t.co/TNCdXWcKWE pic.twitter.com/JSep5lcKhR

— NASA JPL (@NASAJPL) April 1, 2021
Ingenuity will be attempting to fly in an atmosphere that is one percent the density of Earth's, which makes achieving lift harder - but will be assisted by gravity that is one-third of our planet's.

The first flight will involve climbing at a rate of about three feet (one meter) per second to a height of 10 feet (three meters), hovering there for 30 seconds, then descending back to the surface.

Ingenuity will be taking high-resolution photography as it flies.

Up to five flights of gradual difficulty are planned over the month.

The four-pound (1.8-kilogram) rotorcraft cost NASA around US$85 million to develop and is considered a proof of concept that could revolutionize space exploration.

Future aircraft could cover ground much quicker than rovers, and explore more rugged terrain.

© Agence France-Presse
Blue

Postby BenDhyan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:33 pm

^ "The four-pound (1.8-kilogram) rotorcraft cost NASA around US$85 million to develop" :shock:
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby DrEvil » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:57 am

About the same as a wrench for the ISS then. :)
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon May 24, 2021 3:15 pm

In the latest installment of make-believe...

Ask yourself: If a Country like China can shamelessly implement (sub-par) CGI, the U.S. can do so as well (albeit with better graphics).
Belligerent Savant

Postby BenDhyan » Mon May 24, 2021 5:56 pm

^ Oh c'mon BS, when there are no cameras in place, cgi is commonly used in space missions to show an animation of events, in this case the landing of a Chinese Mars rover. Or are you suggesting that there was no landing of a rover?

Maybe you feel this is a better quality animation of the landing?

Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby DrEvil » Mon May 24, 2021 7:32 pm

Yeah, that was clearly not meant to pass as real footage.
DrEvil

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon May 24, 2021 7:39 pm

I'm sure the real footage will inspire awe. Hopefully they'll let us know which footage will be real vs CGI. You know, to avoid any potential confusion.
Belligerent Savant

Postby DrEvil » Tue May 25, 2021 5:46 pm

The only one here confused is you. You goofed. Big deal.
DrEvil

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue May 25, 2021 6:07 pm

How would you know if I did? Do you have proof a landing occurred as depicted?
Belligerent Savant

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Wed May 26, 2021 2:50 am

I have proof.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed May 26, 2021 10:33 am

Actually -- and please keep this hush hush -- I have proof as well. Was playing a bit of devil's advocate above.

You see, I have an associate with a cousin that works as a lab supervisor at NASA. He apparently has connections with a physicist who has met Dr. Manhattan during periodic clandestine meetings. Yes, the same Dr. Manhattan that currently presides in Mars. The good doctor verified these landings occurred exactly as depicted.

Belligerent Savant

Postby DrEvil » Wed May 26, 2021 5:54 pm

Belligerent Savant » Wed May 26, 2021 12:07 am wrote:.

How would you know if I did? Do you have proof a landing occurred as depicted?

That's not how it works. If you have any evidence whatsoever that the landing didn't happen then share it.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/05/25/c ... e-of-mars/
DrEvil

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed May 26, 2021 7:53 pm

There's no clear evidence either way, though i'll much more readily accept the landing of an un-manned rover than any landing involving humans stepping foot on non-Earth soil.
Belligerent Savant

Postby BenDhyan » Thu May 27, 2021 6:16 am

^ So do you think there any clear evidence that the Americans ever landed a rover on Mars?

https://keyt.com/news/national-world/2021/05/22/china-just-became-the-second-country-to-drive-a-rover-on-the-surface-of-mars/
Ben D
BenDhyan

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion