Does anyone else feel something BIG will happen this spring?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Does anyone else feel something BIG will happen this spring?

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:23 pm

There's nothing really concrete I can point to giving me this vibe. Sure, there's the steady drip-drip-drip from the Mueller investigation, but there's no set timetable for when or if he goes for the jugular. Everything that has happened within the past year regarding North Korea has been strange. The whole "Fire and Fury" meme felt premeditated on a "smoking gun/mushroom cloud" level like the buildup to Iraq.

Maybe what it boils down to is which Deep State faction wants to up the ante. To some degree the fate of Trump could already be set. I don't believe (does anyone here, really?) Mueller is truly independent; he may behave in the course of the investigation as though he is, but just looking over his FBI career (I think Sibel Edmonds has indicated this, though I am not a member, so can't get through the newsbud paywall) he is most likely allowed to operate within a Deep State mandate. The question is how far that mandate extends with Trump. Obstruction of Justice? Maybe not, if TPTB like our current take-the-money-and-run status quo. Money laundering? Well, if OOJ is allowed, that goes without saying. If not, Trump never knew Manafort, it's a rumor. Conspiracy with Russia? IMO, Mueller won't go that far; he'll probably use some variation of Fitzgerald's "throwing sand in the umpire's face" analogy to excuse not clearing up that issue.

But taking it for granted that Mueller was put in place representing a Deep State faction that opposes Trump, what might a faction supporting him do to render Mueller's investigation obsolete? I think the only effective answer would be a new war. I don't think stirring more shit in the Middle East would cut it. North Korea might be the easiest go-to, even in the aftermath of the Olympic unity glow. I just don't see the upside for that faction beside getting their golden boy out of hot water. What profit is there in taking control of North Korea? I was recently having a private conversation with another RI member about this and neither of us could see it, especially after a new war that may involve nukes. So if not North Korea, where? We thought for a moment, then we both said almost simultaneously, "Venezuela." The rhetorical build-up on that has been minimal, but there certainly is a much greater profit incentive to invade Venezuela than North Korea. All you need is that "catalyzing event."

So, I'm thinking spring, summer at the latest, before the fall mid-terms heat up. What do you think?
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Does anyone else feel something BIG will happen this spr

Postby Rory » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:47 pm

Fracas in Caracas, on the horizon, eh!?

The last attempt at regime change fizzled out there recently - I can see them wanting to do so, and certainly it's closer and has all the oil, which makes it prime real estate. I can't see the "how", yet. They won't have ready made contras to do the irregular work (like that performed in eastern Europe, MENA over the last few decades). I mean, there's a small cadre of right wing thugs who can pull off some small scale disruption but noting like what's needed to do the heavy lifting, supported by 'No Fly Zones'.

Maybe Colombia will act to move the dial - there's been some border disagreements over the years. Also, the fact Maduro is doing the whole crypto currency thing, and they are seeking ties to perennial American cultural foes, Russia, China, Iran, may be used to weaponize a PR campaign towards hard action.

The Russians bringing their new next gen aircraft to Syria for battlefield QA/QC is an interesting move and perhaps a provocative one given how ghastly the F35 has performed so far. As per some of the discussion on the recent John Michael Greer post's comments, China and Russia are appearing increasingly confident of having bridged the tech gap and deployment/sales of the Russian anti aircraft systems might compel some risky counter strategies to attempt and reassert global competitive advantage in MENA.

I mean, idk but there's deffo something in the air
Rory

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:48 pm

Rory » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:47 pm wrote:Fracas in Caracas, on the horizon, eh!?

The last attempt at regime change fizzled out there recently - I can see them wanting to do so, and certainly it's closer and has all the oil, which makes it prime real estate. I can't see the "how", yet. They won't have ready made contras to do the irregular work (like that performed in eastern Europe, MENA over the last few decades). I mean, there's a small cadre of right wing thugs who can pull off some small scale disruption but noting like what's needed to do the heavy lifting, supported by 'No Fly Zones'.

There's definitely some food for fodder where right wing thugs gather. I have to wonder what happened to all privatized networks of CIA rejects from the 70s went. I mean after they stirred shit in Central America in the 80s. You're right, they wouldn't be able to do the heavy lifting. I don't think it could be a neo-con style build-up and blow-out like Iraq. We're too over-extended as it is. It would have to require a draft. Which would necessitate a HUUUGE "catalyzing event."

Which is why I'm thinking the big happening this spring is a Mueller indictment clusterfuck. That's what I think is most likely, anyway.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Elvis » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:06 pm

stillrobertpaulsen wrote: "Venezuela."

Good call. I've been worried. Listening to US news media, one would think Maduro forced his policies on the huddled Venezuelan masses. The lies—"dictator Maduro," "starving people," "opposition newspapers shuttered"—are sticking, and with a little extra propaganda nudge, the American people will demand U.S. intervention.

I assume that some reporters know better, but push the lies anyway. The attitude is, to change one word in Henry Kissinger's infamous remarks on Chile:

"The issues are much too important for the Venezuelan voters to be left to decide for themselves." "I don't see why we need to stand by and watch a country go communist due to the irresponsibility of its people."

And Kissinger appears to be playing a significant role in current White House foreign policy. Yep, I'm worried.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:34 pm

TMW - news.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby 82_28 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:03 am

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:18 am

Circa 2005 I was almost certain that there was going to be a move on Venezuela similar to the regime change in Iraq only with an existing RW then (newly) latent under Chavez.

Plan Colombia was just as much Plan Venezuela (and there is still much DOD infrastructure in the region.

Regardless of Venezuela, there is so much domestic and international it tension seems that something is bound to burst.

Trump is going to be POTUS as long as the mysterious PTB want Trump as POTUS.

The Mueller probe seems to be taking up time and attention for now.
PufPuf93

Postby Sounder » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:43 am

Sure, debt is too high. With interest rates going up the market will crack.

Then there is always the option of war to paper over the issues.
Sounder

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:30 pm

That's one of Tom Tomorrow's better ones, thanks Elvis. Really illustrates well the permanent yet ever shifting patterns of our War Government. You could switch Iran in that last frame with pretty much any other country - North Korea, Colombia, or Venezuela.
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:52 pm

Sounder » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:43 am wrote:Sure, debt is too high. With interest rates going up the market will crack.

Thanks to both of you for pointing yet another something BIG that could happen this spring. Look how fragile the market currently is: Trump doesn't even do anything - just says he's going to set tariffs on steel and aluminum next week - and the DJI drops 500 points, closing at 420.

82_28, that was a good video. I like that he pointed out that while the media may be trumpeting the low low unemployment, there is still a significant amount of underemployment, especially among young people today. There are certainly lots of elements that he points out taking us to short-term disaster. Long-term, well, I happen to agree that by the 40s, the USA is going to be in dire straits, not just because of money issues alone, but because money cannot be divorced from energy, and energy is tied to an environment that will not be sustainable for humanity for much longer.
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:55 pm

PufPuf93 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:18 am wrote:Trump is going to be POTUS as long as the mysterious PTB want Trump as POTUS.

That makes me wonder, especially in light of extreme market fluctuations, if the plan is to keep him in power until the market craters. Intriguing possibility!
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:41 pm

until the market craters

trump is working as hard and as fast as he can to do that

With surprise tariffs, Trump rolls the dice with the US economy
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/01/with-su ... onomy.html
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:51 pm

stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:55 pm wrote:
PufPuf93 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:18 am wrote:Trump is going to be POTUS as long as the mysterious PTB want Trump as POTUS.

That makes me wonder, especially in light of extreme market fluctuations, if the plan is to keep him in power until the market craters. Intriguing possibility!

The 2007-2008 financial crisis at the end of GWB's reaign has the stench of a staged event given the timing, especially as most of the institutional architects of the crisis emerged essentially unscatheed.

I can see Trump hanging in place through the corruption only to be taken out in a financial crisis.
PufPuf93

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:53 pm

seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:41 pm wrote:until the market craters

trump is working as hard and as fast as he can to do that

With surprise tariffs, Trump rolls the dice with the US economy
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/01/with-su ... onomy.html

The steel and aluminum tariffs are not only a surprise but our economic allies and own economy are harmed.
PufPuf93

Postby 82_28 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:28 pm

Ali Velshi on MSNBC was confused by it (the tariffs) too, but I didn't catch any of his speculations as to why, only the end of his show. Can anyone here explain it?
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Next

Return to General Discussion