Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:26 am

Hi Peartreed - if you will indulge me - would you be willing to explain your affection for alliteration? It's unusually consistent and I've been curious about it for awhile.

peartreed » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:09 pm wrote:I’m curious about what other people here think are the reasons for the prevalence of such uncivil behavior, rude commentary, aggressive acrimony and personal insult on the forum threads, especially of late. Is it the protective anonymity of the author used as a cover?

Do we disregard any imperative for considerate conduct simply because we can? Would our conduct change if our real identities were openly disclosed to everyone?

We were all raised with varying degrees of religious education where the common precept was love for one another, or at least a set of commandments or precepts as protocols for respectful social considerations and interactions. Schooling was similarly set upon principles of proper civil conduct in personal, family and community relations to enhance positive relationships and supportive coexistence. Even our recreation and entertainment involved media and stories promoting chivalry, saviors, heroes, good guys, idols and superhero capes. Especially later, in business, we had to learn the importance of positive cooperation with others the hard way.

So how is it that otherwise well-bred, intelligent and mature, presumably gentle souls turn so sour and sadistic online?

I’ve noted the numerous insults, sarcasm, sneering and denigration aimed at several contributors here and have particularly been disgusted by the shots at SLAD and HS from insensitive, self-proclaimed intellectuals who otherwise show some manly traits.

I wonder if the insensitivity is a personal, psychological handicap from upbringing adversity or just an ignorant disregard for any critics daring to challenge strongly-held beliefs. Or is it all simply a reflection of changing, deteriorating culture of self, of egoism, where impact on others is of no importance to the pursuit of “winning”.

I also wonder why moderation is no longer practiced as a modifier of objectionable extremes, especially amongst favoured friends.

If Trump can rise to the presidency I suppose being a rude, crude egomaniac works, but have we also lost our social conscience in our pursuit of posting popularity, group acceptance or personal predominance?

The archives, if ever activated, might become, instead, at this rate, a Hall of Shame.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby peartreed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:00 am

My personal preference apparently is more prone and partial to penetrating the puzzle of the preponderance of interpersonal pejorative pettiness and persecution in posts.

Perhaps that is a product of a positive perspective and approach to problems from practicing professions where the plenitude of progress and production proceeded to a paycheck by pursuing peaceful peer appreciation, partially dependant upon performing or penning and composing persuasive promotional prose and copy, predominantly as the priority pathway.
peartreed

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:25 am

So, some in-house HR guru? Guidance counselor who does freelance corporate HR services on the side?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby peartreed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:10 pm

Actually, amusing myself with amateur alliteration alleviates the agony of antagonistic argument, analysis and answering acrimony.

In real life careers I ended up variously as an airline director, a union president for an actors association and a lifetime member of a writers guild. But the challenges of the climb in each organization and occupation contributed to understanding the importance of positive interpersonal relations and kindness. Human relations is also an intuitive insight and understanding from guiding and counseling oneself towards self improvement as a decent human being.

I frequent the forum to feature my infamous flaws, find fascinating facts and findings and to focus a formidable affront in frustrating friends I am following.
peartreed

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:07 pm

peartreed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:10 pm wrote:Actually, amusing myself with amateur alliteration alleviates the agony of antagonistic argument, analysis and answering acrimony.

In real life careers I ended up variously as an airline director, a union president for an actors association and a lifetime member of a writers guild. But the challenges of the climb in each organization and occupation contributed to understanding the importance of positive interpersonal relations and kindness. Human relations is also an intuitive insight and understanding from guiding and counseling oneself towards self improvement as a decent human being.

I frequent the forum to feature my infamous flaws, find fascinating facts and findings and to focus a formidable affront in frustrating friends I am following.

You are a tedious timewasting troll, a shitstirrer and a flamebaiter.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby chump » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:14 pm

MacCruiskeen wrote:You are a tedious timewasting troll, a shitstirrer and a flamebaiter.

You can probably presume I’d rather read peartreed…

(… but at least your shit is short and sweet!)
chump

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:33 pm

It's hard for me to take your repeating paeans to human decency and respectful communication terribly seriously when, to the degree that I even follow you answer, all you've said is it "amuses" you. Sounds oddly like a cousin of trolling to me. That you double down with a riff like this, which asks the reader to work to even understand you, feels as if it undermines your apparent message. Do you sincerely want to communicate? Or keep on playing Cheshire Cat?

peartreed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:10 pm wrote:Actually, amusing myself with amateur alliteration alleviates the agony of antagonistic argument, analysis and answering acrimony.

liminalOyster

Postby peartreed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:54 pm

I cooperatively indulged your curiosity as requested only to find your intent was just to find further fault in my answer, which is that creative composition like alliteration amuses me in the process of posting and alleviates just focusing on unnecessary and annoying negativity in our online exchanges. I also volunteered some explanatory autobiographical information to provide context for your curiosity about my composition and concerns – that I have worked as a creative writer and a performer and an advocate for working professionals needing protection from exploitation and abuse.

As I should have expected on this forum, for the same reasons as the past criticism of it, you instead used my reply as a basis for finding further fault for personal criticism. Just like MacCruisken also did.

It is no wonder other readers here choose not to participate and leave themselves open to attack by boors hiding behind the anonymity of avatars that frees them to display ignorant disregard for common decency while trying to score points with cheap shots about others. Forum rules are also not enforced.
I’ll be guided accordingly to avoid candor and trust in responding here.
peartreed

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:11 pm

I really do not understand why....why someone just yesterday felt the need to accuse me of vomiting all over this place seems kinda harsh or using the words "You are a tedious timewasting troll, a shitstirrer and a flame baiter." (that's the second time someone called someone a troll recently A PERSONAL ATTACK) one could call that kinda ugly but that's just the way it is and so we must just sit back and continue to listen to whatever comes out of their mouths......it can be rather difficult when I read a personal attack hurled at a friend ...I feel the need to speak up for myself I am so use to it after 2 1/2 years I just don't care anymore....what ever floats their boats maybe they are just bored :shrug:

oh just one last thing condescension is really tacky especially when one thinks one is not aware :P

but like chump said

You can probably presume I’d rather read peartreed…

(… but at least your shit is short and sweet!)

and laughter is the best medicine :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu9ShccG_SU
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby peartreed » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:23 am

Thanks for the supportive suggestions SLAD. I can understand your umbrage at cruel insult.
I’m also glad it doesn’t deter you from posting your valued current news coverage here.
I’ve been reminded again that some people here simply enjoy scoring points on their own sadistic score card by taking cheap shots with smartass, snide and senseless insults at others for immature cheer.
Thankfully there are other adults here who have the character and self esteem to remain above that.
peartreed

Postby liminalOyster » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:42 am

peartreed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:54 pm wrote:I cooperatively indulged your curiosity as requested only to find your intent was just to find further fault in my answer.

Sigh.
liminalOyster

Postby Jerky » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:14 am

liminalOyster » 18 Feb 2019 04:42 wrote:
peartreed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:54 pm wrote:I cooperatively indulged your curiosity as requested only to find your intent was just to find further fault in my answer.

Sigh.

I take no pleasure in reporting that it certainly seemed that way to me, too, Limn. And I consider you a friendly in these parts.

Sincerely;
YOPJ
Jerky

"It's about time you know the secret..."

Postby IanEye » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:41 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV6mDyyX1Vs

Rest in peace.
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby liminalOyster » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Jerky » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:14 am wrote:
liminalOyster » 18 Feb 2019 04:42 wrote:

Sigh.

I take no pleasure in reporting that it certainly seemed that way to me, too, Limn. And I consider you a friendly in these parts.

Sincerely;
YOPJ

Seeming that way or not, it's not true. Peartreed has a penchant for alliteration that is highly unusual. My question was sincere and there's nothing to suggest otherwise. He didn't like my response to his own but there's really no ground for saying that I asked because I'm fishing for "further fault." I asked because I've never seen anyone stay so committed to their florid online voice in that manner for so long before and I don't get it. If I was some steampunk fool dandy in a top hat and pocket watch who you saw in the coffee shop every morning and you finally asked me why and I responded with a couple "m'ladys" and told you it was "because it tickled my fancy," I assume you'd think that I was being coy rather than genuine.

Oh and edit for clarity about insult or personal attack: PT, I am not in any way intending to compare your affection for alliteration (which I see nothing wrong with) to the character I figured here negatively. I don't think one way or another about your stylistic choice but was curious if it was like a lifelong thing, a writing trick, etc.
liminalOyster

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:54 pm

If I was some steampunk fool dandy in a top hat and pocket watch who you saw in the coffee shop every morning

Damned if the originals weren't better.

In any case, now that I'm emerging back into more of a real world, I think you have given me my new look. Thanks!

See y'all.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion