Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Postby Elvis » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:13 pm

peartreed » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:47 am wrote:MacCruiskeen used the cartoon simile of beating dead horses in a recent post to SLAD.
Elvis then used a photo of beating a dead horse in a snide remark about my posts.
Elvis used to ride high in the saddle before he stooped to shoveling Mac arse biscuits.
Now both are reflecting each other’s mean metaphors in mirroring a horse’s ass.
This board, as SLAD notes, will continue to degrade until moderation sets an example.

This is grossly offensive, Peartreed. And it's not your first time. I've had enough of your insults, okay? Take a week off.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:32 pm

peartreed » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:47 pm wrote:MacCruiskeen used the cartoon simile of beating dead horses in a recent post to SLAD.
Elvis then used a photo of beating a dead horse in a snide remark about my posts.
Elvis used to ride high in the saddle before he stooped to shoveling Mac arse biscuits.
This board, as SLAD notes, will continue to degrade until moderation sets an example.

That, by the way, is a plain and demonstrable untruth. I did no such thing. It's yet another whopping lie, for which the saintly Peartreed (who is not just a chronic liar at my expense but an inveterate would-be whisker of ordure) will never have the grace to apologise.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:21 pm

I am going to ask my friends here to please cease posting about my situation no matter how you feel ....I can take care of myself. I understand you are only trying to show support for me but I already know how you feel and that is all that matters to me...love you guys ..I will be fine and I will follow the rules set by Jeff

this is a place where the dignity and rights of all people are respected

civil

thoughtful

cooperation

:lovehearts: :lovehearts: :lovehearts: :hug1: :hug1:

FIRE
"She's coming down on her own now / Coming down on her own"
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Jerky » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:21 am

Elvis » 21 Feb 2019 19:13 wrote:
peartreed » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:47 am wrote:MacCruiskeen used the cartoon simile of beating dead horses in a recent post to SLAD.

This is grossly offensive, Peartreed. And it's not your first time. I've had enough of your insults, okay? Take a week off.

!!!!!!!!!!!!

At long last, have you no sense of decency?!

Jerky

PS - If criticizing moderator performance isn't against the rules (and it's not), and the level of insult involved in saying someone is acting "like a horse's ass" is to be a triggering level of "obscenity" for this board, then 95 to 99 percent of Mac's BS's and Jack's response posts would be cause for permanent banning. Now, that's NOT what I'm calling for. Jack, for instance, often brings excellent, thoughtful and worthy material to our attention. What I'm calling for is for you to reconsider your banning of Peartreed, who is probably the LEAST offensive participant on this board, who for the most part keeps his cool, and abstains from rising to the bait laid by his new crop of bullies (you know... the ones who popped up when he didn't tow the same line as THEY do). If anyone deserves a break, it's Peartreed.
Jerky

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:25 am

Belligerent Savant » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:58 am wrote:
By all means, continue with misrepresentations, as you tend to do, however. Your choice.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Elvis » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:25 pm

Jerky » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:21 am wrote:
Elvis » 21 Feb 2019 19:13 wrote:

!!!!!!!!!!!!

At long last, have you no sense of decency?!

Jerky

PS - If criticizing moderator performance isn't against the rules (and it's not), and the level of insult involved in saying someone is acting "like a horse's ass" is to be a triggering level of "obscenity" for this board, then 95 to 99 percent of Mac's BS's and Jack's response posts would be cause for permanent banning. Now, that's NOT what I'm calling for. Jack, for instance, often brings excellent, thoughtful and worthy material to our attention. What I'm calling for is for you to reconsider your banning of Peartreed, who is probably the LEAST offensive participant on this board, who for the most part keeps his cool, and abstains from rising to the bait laid by his new crop of bullies (you know... the ones who popped up when he didn't tow the same line as THEY do). If anyone deserves a break, it's Peartreed.

Peartreed's insults began before this episode. Moderators are "in someones pocket," moderators are "shoveling someone's arse biscuits" etc. Peartreed claims I serve some special constituency here at the expense of others. It's plainly insulting and I decided not to ignore it any longer.

The fact is I have spent more time in PM correspondence with Peartreed than anyone else discussing these issues—explaining at length my thoughts and actions—and it was a complete waste of my time because Peartred just ignores everything I wrote and merely continues making the same bogus claims, and, increasing, personal insults.

Criticize moderator actions all you like, but if someone repeatedly (and falsely) accuses one of "shoveling someone's arse biscuits" they can expect some moderation.

Your appeal strikes me as a bit overwrought, but as a peace gesture I'll allow Peartreed back in early. (If I was the arbitrary ogre described by PT, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. On the contrary, I hope you and I will be friends again.)
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

who's gonna mod your wild arse fire horses?

Postby IanEye » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Elvis » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:25 pm wrote:

Peartreed's insults began before this episode. Moderators are "in someones pocket," moderators are "shoveling someone's arsebiscuits" etc.
Peartreed claims I serve some special constituency here at the expense of others. It's plainly insulting and I decided not to ignore it any longer.

Criticize moderator actions all you like, but if someone repeatedly (and falsely) accuses one of "shoveling someone's arsebiscuits" they can expect some moderation.

Elvis,

Are you actually engaging in the shoveling, and just don't like it pointed out?
Or, are you actively not shoveling, and just don't like that pointed out?

in chronological order:

seemslikeadream » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:38 am wrote:yelling yelling yelling loud noises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pdWAcK6Eh8

Subject: American Dream: Supporter of Ukrainian fascism on RI

seemslikeadream wrote:windbaggery

You are calling someone else that?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Subject: American Dream: Supporter of Ukrainian fascism on RI

MacCruiskeen wrote:Ah, it was tl;dr, was it?

So, just for you SLaD, and only because you insist: Peartreed is a gombeen man and a shitehawk. He posts nothing here but arsebiscuits. So you might think about choosing your allies more carefully, if you still can.

MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 pm wrote:Lies, damned lies, and arsebiscuits.

peartreed » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:26 pm wrote:On the other hand, rude and crude, cruel behavior personally targeting individuals is a shared trait. That is usually a product of immaturity, ignorance, arrogance and a general disregard for civil conduct. It still inspires others to copy that behavior if they support the writer or the point of view being expressed.

Elvis recognized that fact and, despite our differences, sincerely tried to respectfully apply forum rules. As I have stated previously here, being a moderator is a thankless role but I really do thank him for his efforts. I just happen to disagree with his recent calls. Strongly disagree. But I acknowledge his intent.

He admittedly had his own affiliations and preferences for people here, but he tried to be objective in applying established board protocols and rules. The problem is that we all carry several subjective preconceptions based on our reading and interaction history here on R.I. One of those was about AD.
I know this because it was the subject of several discussions online and also via private PM exchanges.

So was the conduct of SLaD, Jack, Mac, BS, Rory and several other members flagged by alerts to Mods. The result of all of it has been continuing acrimony, anger and antagonism corrupting the whole board. It is no longer a relaxing place to pursue political and social interests among intelligent communicators.

I’m again returning to other pursuits while the antagonists reply to this with predictable personal insult and sarcasm and mockery as their venal revenge.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and a wonderful vacation away from Rigorous Intuition rivalry as a return to good will among us all.

Elvis » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:19 pm wrote:Mac, you can't call a member a "shitstirrer." It's Jeff''s rule about not directing profanity at another member. And it's bad form.

And really, Peartreed has been re-writing the same complaint and making the same ludicrous charges for years now, I don't get why people feel they must keep responding to it.

peartreed » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:47 pm wrote:MacCruiskeen used the cartoon simile of beating dead horses in a recent post to SLAD.

Elvis » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:13 pm wrote:

One RI member is told that their participation on this board is nothing more than shit from an ass.

One RI moderator then adds to the metaphor by showing same said ass dead.

Again Elvis,

Are you actually engaging in the shoveling, and just don't like it pointed out?
Or, are you actively not shoveling, and just don't like that pointed out?

This would appear to be a bit of a "double bind" for you Elvis, to use another RI moderator's favorite concept:

Why would it be ok for one RI member to repeatedly use the imagery of shit from an ass towards another RI member with no moderating influence present, and then not allow the second RI member to throw that shit back in the face of the first RI member with the same absence of RI moderation?

Why would it be ok for an RI mod to amp up the resonance of one RI member's rhetoric, while muting another's?

One RI member is using a lot of shit metaphors
Are you as an RI mod shoveling those metaphors up and out of the discussion, or allowing same said metaphors to stew and stir in turn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNbERkbqtgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMWPOUdHQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq2efolgw3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b21bsXeKVXc

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Elvis » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:51 am

Ian, I don't know. I thought the gif would add some humor. I apparently failed. No surprise I guess.

Anyway, peartreed is unbanned.
Elvis

Postby peartreed » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:05 am

Elvis, I appreciate your peace gesture of lifting my ban early. I lost my temper when I saw you refer to my posts as the same old complaint with ludicrous charges, and that you didn’t understand why people were even responding to them, and then your posting the photo of beating a dead horse for emphasis.
As our moderator I expected more of you, probably unfairly. My shock and anger were a result of always holding you in higher regard. I forgot that, on R.I., moderators are not expected to be impartial.

My other exchanges with you in PM were over the same issue – fair and even application of rules. Your replies verified your integrity and your intent to moderate fairly. There’s the old saying, “Actions speak louder than words”. So do inactions. After our PM exchanges, I was watching your enforcement of rules and their non-enforcement too. Admittedly, I probably set the bar too high since you had impressed me. But my hopes were unrealistic.

It was my fault to expect anyone not to show some natural favoritism and selective ruling, but I also admit my perception of that might have been filtered through a lens that saw friends being attacked and insulted and suspended or banned while their frequent offenders all escaped - except for the odd warning as a wrist slap. Prominent and prolific posters and frequent offenders appeared to be given more slack. I may have been mistaken in that observation but I saw it that way. I sensed that the “opinion leaders” and their pals were being given privileged status and protection due to affinities.

I also want to sincerely apologize to MacCruiskeen for mistaking Grizzly’s post of dead horse beating in the previous reply to SLAD as his. In my anger at SLAD being picked on again, and now being the target myself of the same insult from a moderator, I didn’t research before posting my overreactive response.

I also want to thank Jerky for his kind and courageous support of me and the principles I was acting on. He took a risk as an often-suspended member still “on probation” by admin, but he sure is a true friend. It is his kind of informal but direct honesty of expression that I admire, because his candor is also considerate of the audience reading it even when aimed at an aggressor with quid pro quo commentary.

So is SLAD, IanEye and so many other members here who know I’ve been the beneficiary of their trust and warmth as well as their valued contributions and informative posts on items I might have otherwise missed.

This is also a goodbye for now. I feel like a hypocrite by not practicing what I’ve preached.

I don’t enjoy participating in a forum still allowing personal insult, rancor and cruelty to those whose posting styles, opinions, politics or personalities seem to invite and allow sadistic personal persecution and continuous cheap shots. We already endure too much of that by a POTUS and his regime in the real world without more here. Life itself can be bitter, as we all know, without poisoning our fun hobbies.

Words can be violent but, like sports fans, some people obviously live for the cruel fighting and winning.

My leisure time is better spent annoying my loving family. When I screw up there, they can see my face animated by a twinkle in my eyes, a grimace of regret, a sorrowful smile, a guilty blush and then I get a hug. The impersonal nature of the written word alone will always be open to misinterpretation of its intent. No matter how many times I write words I cannot convey the honest feelings behind them.

I apologize to all for wasting their time complaining about the absence of civil conduct and considerate empathy for others online. I shouldn’t have expected to change or to influence anyone’s ingrained behavior by my compulsive calls for our better nature and better angels to try to share in more harmony.

Our personal crusades for morality, ethics and valor can become tediously sanctimonious to the indifferent. Even a plea for mercy on behalf of those hurt by cruel invective is lost on the immune.

It took the wakeup call of an unexpected ban from an unexpected source to raise my mirror to reality.

May all of you enjoy the wild roller coaster ride on a relentless R.I. run until, like me, founder Jeff and so many others now departed, a dizzy nausea from all the ups and downs makes you stumble off seeking less stressful fun and informative forum findings. To the remaining happier combatants, all the best in the ring of fire while wrestling for R.I. rewards and reason. I really enjoyed most of my time with you.

Besides, Elvis will always be King. The legend lives on! Take care of yourself in a thankless job,
peartreed

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 am

I wish I had not woke up in the middle of the night ....came here to read .... I better not say another word for now only that I grieve for the loss of another dear friend ....3 friends in the last 6 months :( :cry:

DAMN IT

Your soul remains peartreed
:hug1: :lovehearts: :hug1:

DAMN IT ALL

I hope you are so very fucking happy now Mac soon there will be no one left here to disagree with you a serial abuser of Jeff’s rules who advocated for the removal of a member here...who constantly attacks other members is fucking outrageous...this is supposed to be a place where AII are respected ..you’ve make a mockery of that

Members off the top of my head who have been the victims ...I know there are more

Countdown

AmericanDream

Peartreed

Jerky

seemslikeadream

Brekin

Iamwhoiam

IanEye

All decent really nice human beings who did not deserve to be in the path of your wrath of bile

You disgust me
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby brainpanhandler » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:18 am

“To be incapable of taking one's enemies, one's accidents, even one's misdeeds seriously for very long—that is the sign of strong, full natures in whom there is an excess of the power to form, to mold, to recuperate and to forget (a good example of this in modem times is Mirabeau, who had no memory for insults and vile actions done him and was unable to forgive simply because he—forgot). Such a man shakes off with a single shrug many vermin that eat deep into others; here alone genuine 'love of one's enemies' is possible—supposing it to be possible at all on earth. How much reverence has a noble man for his enemies!—and such reverence is a bridge to love.—For he desires his enemy for himself, as his mark of distinction; he can endure no other enemy than one in whom there is nothing to despise and very much to honor! In contrast to this, picture 'the enemy' as the man of ressentiment conceives him—and here precisely is his deed, his creation: he has conceived 'the evil enemy,' 'the Evil One,' and this in fact is his basic concept, from which he then evolves, as an afterthought and pendant, a 'good one'—himself!”
― Friedrich Nietzsche, On the Genealogy of Morals / Ecce Homo
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:46 pm

"The internet is a nest of viper-like neuroses for all of us and kind of stinks." - Me, Making an interent comment right now
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Re: who's gonna mod your wild arse fire horses?

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:48 pm

IanEye » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:44 pm wrote:

One RI member is told that their participation on this board is nothing more than shit from an ass.

One RI moderator then adds to the metaphor by showing same said ass dead.

^^Rigorous intuition. Where would we be without it?
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:45 pm

Try to imagine Nietzsche, or even Harry G. Frankfurt, or indeed Jeff Wells, participating willingly on what remains of this former Discussion Board.

Seemslikeadream would have us believe that all posts, all opinions, all arguments, all assertions, all thoughts, are equal -- equally true, equally valuable, equally valid, equally deserving of protection. * In other words, seemslikeadream wants Rigorous Intuition to be a safe space for bullshit, a perfect reflection of 21st-century American democracy.

But it ain't gonna happen, or at least not yet, because *TRIGGER WARNING*, sorry, shit is still not shinola. Not everywhere, not yet. Rigorous Intuition.ca was founded by a Canadian socialist in Canada, so international law applies. Words have meanings, lies are not truths, noticing things is permitted, and thinking is still allowed.

Some things are better than others. Terrible, I know. Pass the smelling salts.

* Except, of course, for those she doesn't like.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:28 pm

This is what everyone agreed to in order to post here....it is a shame you have never been able to grasp the rules

Jeff is the one that wanted a safe place but you refuse to obey his rules

Please read: guidelines for posting on the RI board
Postby Jeff » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:38 am
Welcome to the RI board.

While Rigorous Intuition welcomes a range of informed perspectives, it is not intended to be a forum for the re-fighting of elemental human values.

It should be assumed that this is a place where the dignity and rights of all people are respected. Members who challenge these rights may be regarded as disruptive, and members who habitually challenge them will be banned.

This is an anti-fascist board. Propagation of fascist, neo-Nazi and "white pride" causes, including sympathetically linking to sites which advocate such, will not be permitted. This includes revisionist histories of the Holocaust.

This is an anti-sexist board. We correctly assume that women, as a group, have been and continue to be the object of oppression based upon their gender. It is expected that members will respect the rights of women to justice and equality in all spheres of life, and to a positive experience of RI. Contending that feminism is a "New World Order plot" will not be permitted.

Posts advocating violence, or espousing hatred of a people based upon race, religion, gender or sexuality, are not permitted.

The charge or insinuation of "disinfo agent" can almost never be proven, and poisons and often ends meaningful discussion. Therefore suggesting a poster is purposefully spreading disinformation is not permitted.

Please refrain from personal attacks, and keep arguments issue-based.

Members can help maintain the health of the board. If you see something that you think needs attention, please pm myself or a moderator with the link, or use the alert button.

Thank you for your civil and thoughtful contributions, and your cooperation in helping to generate more light than heat.
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion