Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:42 am

intuition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pco91kroVgQ

IanEye » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:53 am wrote:* - * - *
“an insight that arrives in the moment without a clear chain of reasoning to support it.”

i and i see things
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:46 am

Heaven Swan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:24 pm wrote:
Jack R. said^^^
Snip”...I'm here for the ideas. Mainly, that is true. If your ideas are violently stupid, I will say so. I think it is much worse, for example, to find ways to justify or facilitate wars that murder thousands and millions in the real world (even if doing so only as an online persona) than to occasionally say "fuck off" to an avatar on a forum.”

There are people behind the avatars—please don’t deny their humanity.

This is an anonymous message board. Only the most uncharitable reading of the quote you snipped out would have you accusing Jack of denying people's humanity.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Sounder » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:49 pm

Seems simple to me, saying 'fuckoff' to an avatar does also include saying fuckoff to a human at the same time, which may be reasonably taken as being dehumanizing all by its little self.

Beyond that, look at the equivalency that Jack has cooked up. It's as if he is merely saying fuckoff to people that have violently stupid ideas that justify and facilitate wars. Who does that here?
If your ideas are violently stupid, I will say so. I think it is much worse, for example, to find ways to justify or facilitate wars that murder thousands and millions in the real world (even if doing so only as an online persona) than to occasionally say "fuck off" to an avatar on a forum.”

The best irony remains invisible. Jacks excuse for being rude is my reason for being kind.

So, for instance, if I see current versions of the progressive agenda as being a Trojan horse to facilitate the establishment of a technocratic trans-humanism and authoritarian religion suited for the 'new age' it would not call for rudeness to try to pull others away from such fakery within the progressive agenda. I love the progressive agenda and others so inclined, that's why the fakery within it is painful.

"world govt." is imperialism writ large.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby Karmamatterz » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:27 am

Wasn't the thinking behind creating a current events space on the board to get away from the constant copy/pasta of the "latest news" that the MSM spews out? I see few updates in current events but an ever more increasing amount of straight copy/pasta in GD with hardly any analysis. It's like we're supposed to read all that regurgitate malarky and take it at face value. Why not just setup RSS feeds so we get the firehose of MSM propaganda?

I get why some don't want to use it, for sure many are not just serving more pasta. I do like a good angle hair with fresh basil and garlic in a white cream sauce though. :wink

Given the vast amount of TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA maybe consider having a special place for all that. Consolidate all the Trump-Russia pasta into one thread. A master Trump thread. Give the orange man his own special space.
Karmamatterz

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:02 pm

to be clear

the vast amount
.....is one thread considered by you to be vast?

I do not post propaganda just to make that perfectly clear

The only links forbidden by Jeff are to hate sites and I have never or would never break that rule

I absolutely c/p there is no rule against it...but I will not c/p in anyone else's thread unless I have permission in advance

I'm not sure what you are talking about maybe you need to check the ops again

I am allowed to have one thread in GD on trump crime syndicate that was agreed on almost a year ago

there is only one trump crime family influence grifting thread ...we agreed on that ....I agreed on that with robert on (Wed May 23, 2018 ) I compromised with robert on that I would only have one thread almost a year ago for the good of the board but apparently that having only one thread is still not enough of a compromise by me and no one has ever made an agreement like that ever here...and I have been combining since then I can not help if others are bumping old threads of mine or starting new threads on the subject

I have only one trump foreign crime family thread on the first page of GD...I can not help that the Manafort thread was bumped or that a dup threads on Manafort or Russia was started by someone else

This is the

A master Trump thread

it was started a year ago ...the name was changed by robert at the time ....sorry you did not notice

Trumpublicons: Foreign Influence/Grifting in '16 US Election

Last edited by stillrobertpaulsen on Wed May 23, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed title at OP poster's request
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40179

and anyone that wants to post in it is fine with me from now on I will not object to anything they want to post in it ...sorry for my rudeness lately it won't happen again

current events was for single stories considered not to be needed in GD

and I have agree not to post in the threads that were started as dup threads of mine to keep the peace I thought if I stayed out of theirs they would have the same courtesy for me....that is not the case however

I admit I bumped a couple threads of mine in the past but that was because after I agreed to one thread on trump other people started dup threads on the same subject and I couldn’t understand if I had to limit to one thread on trump crime why others did not have to follow the same agreement
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Elvis » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Karmamatterz wrote: A master Trump thread.

We theoretically have such a thread, the "Trumpublicons: Foreign Influence/Grifting in '16 US Election" thread, and Slad has agreed that all views should be allowed there (within the usual RI restrictions).

Just by posting news stories, MSM or otherwise, we're often posting "propaganda" so let's not fool ourselves. Sometimes the source is part of the whole story.

Slad, I noticed on some posts recently you put the source at the top of the article; that worked very well: just by naming the source at the top, it tells us, "this is the source, read with that in mind." No need to appraise the source every time, but just naming it up front of the piece really sets a more objective tone. So I encourage us all to consider doing that, especially in strings of stories from various places.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby DrEvil » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:14 pm

^^It also encourages people to go to the original source if they want to read it and support the source by giving them some extra traffic, and the article is still preserved here for posterity and easy quoting in follow-up posts.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Jerky » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:00 pm

Sorry. I have to say something. There's no way I'm letting this topic sit at 666 posts any longer than it already has.

J
Jerky

Postby liminalOyster » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:32 pm

Jerky » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:00 pm wrote:Sorry. I have to say something. There's no way I'm letting this topic sit at 666 posts any longer than it already has.

J

Onward Christian soldier.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby DrEvil » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Jerky » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:00 pm wrote:Sorry. I have to say something. There's no way I'm letting this topic sit at 666 posts any longer than it already has.

J

Damn it. Had I realized I would have said something more appropriately evil.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby BenDhyan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:23 pm

^ Your name says it all, it just synced naturally, it's called cosmic harmony. :)
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby minime » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:57 pm

seemslikeadream » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:33 am wrote:min I am glad to see you posting again I hope you will stay

I apologize for my surly behavior towards you in the past

I would forgive and forget if there were anything to.

Decided to take a year away. Will be back June/July I think.

Enjoy!
minime

Postby Elvis » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:09 pm

Minime, I look forward to your return. :basicsmile
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:03 am

just two clicks away from hiding images

And you can change that option at any time

Board preferences

Edit display options

imagesNOT.tiff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:55 am

I regret to say Jack has broken the one trump crime family thread AGAIN so I am no longer bound to the agreement

he actually bumped my Manafort thread to ADVERTISE/invite people into his Manafort thread ....having fun Jack?

ok now he says HE never agreed to that arrangement so he is using my thread as an advertising billboard for his trump/russia threads

Last edited by seemslikeadream on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion