AusTex Unabomber 2018?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: AusTex Unabomber 2018?

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:42 am

it's over

Early Wednesday, authorities tracked the suspect — a 24-year-old white man — to a hotel in Round Rock, a city in the Austin metropolitan area, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley told a news conference early Wednesday.

Austin bomber kills himself with explosive device
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/us/austi ... index.html

Austin bomb suspect blows self up as SWAT team approached

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/au ... es-n858576

White House just said that there’s no apparent link to terrorism in the Austin bombings.

I want you to read it again, to see how stupid this statement is:

WH just said that there’s no apparent link to terrorism in the Austin bombings.

The Austin bombings are acts of terrorism.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Grizzly » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:13 am

I'm not above considering it's being done by the 'military/law enforcement' to blame and in-still mistrust in Vets.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby elfismiles » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:16 am

seemslikeadream » 21 Mar 2018 00:39 wrote:another explosion in Austin

please stay safe elfismiles :hug1:

Thanks SLAD and all.

It's been a crazy 24 hours on top of (and hopefully finally ending) a weird month ... :confused

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said in a television interview Wednesday that Conditt was living with roommates, who were being questioned by police. Abbott said officials found a “treasure trove” of information at the home. The house is owned by his father, according to the Austin American-Statesman.
. . .
In blog posts from 2012, a Mark Conditt from the suspect’s hometown identified himself as conservative, albeit not politically engaged. He wrote in favor of the death penalty, and against gay marriage and abortion.

Writing in favor of the death penalty for a convicted murderer, Conditt wrote “if he had wanted or wished for death, he would have just shot himself.”
. . .According to a Facebook photo posted by his mother, Danene Conditt, her son graduated from high school in February 2013.

“He’s thinking of taking some time to figure out what he wants to do,” she wrote at the time. “Maybe a mission trip. Thanks to everyone for your support over the years.”

An unnamed neighbor told the Statesman that Conditt was home-schooled and then went to Austin Community College. A spokesperson for the Austin Community College confirmed to the El Paso Times that Conditt attended the school from 2010 to 2012 but did not graduate.

“I know this is a cliché but I just can’t imagine that,” that neighbor told the newspaper, adding the bomber was a nice kid and came from a great family.

Conditt reportedly worked as a computer-repair technician and then at Crux Semiconductor in Austin as a “purchasing agent/buyer/shipping and receiving,” according to a profile on a job-recruiting website viewed by the Statesman.

A public records search by The Daily Beast found that Conditt had no criminal records in the misdemeanor or felony courts of Travis County, which includes Austin and Pflugerville.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mark-anth ... tin-bomber
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby elfismiles » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:24 am

BTW - authorities are saying he drove off the road into the ditch but it appears to me that law enforcement rammed his vehicle (see aerial footage which shows a white van with smooshed front end right up against the suspect's red / maroon vehicle. Also that SWAT shot at him "after a standoff" ... so I suspect with explosives is shot at and his vehicle rammed? I mean, I know you gotta subdue him somehow but ... just seems like all these statements that he "blew himself up" may or may not be accurate.

ETA: just finally heard a news commentator mention the vehicle collision...

Last edited by elfismiles on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elfismiles

Postby Cordelia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:00 pm

The Wars come home and Americans got a taste of what it’s like to live in fear of bombs.

The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby liminalOyster » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Here's Conditt's 2012 blog "Defining My Stance" from an intro government class, presumably will be taken down soon:

My name is Mark Conditt. I enjoy cycling, parkour, tennis, reading, and listening to music. I am not that politically inclined. I view myself as a conservative, but I don't think I have enough information to defend my stance as well as it should be defended. The reasons I am taking this class is because I want to understand the US government, and I hope that it will help me clarify my stance, and then defend it.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby elfismiles » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:16 pm

... yeah, fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them over here.

While I have often made the same kind of comment (commentary against our wars of empire) I don't feel it adds much at this moment.

Cordelia » 21 Mar 2018 16:00 wrote:The Wars come home and Americans got a taste of what it’s like to live in fear of bombs.
elfismiles

Postby American Dream » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:22 pm

The story is beginning to emerge:

Bomber may have ranted about gay marriage, abortion

According to the American Statesman, the believed bomber was home-schooled growing up and then went to Austin Community College.

The six blog posts were written between Feb. 2012 and May 2012 and take on topics like internet piracy and whether to release terrorists.

In the post on terrorism, Conditt argues that Al-Qaeda operative Majid Khan — who was charged with five war crimes — should “get a life sentence twice over.”

A pro-death penalty post reads: “Living criminals harm and murder again — executed ones do not.”

Conditt also posited that the US should do away with sex offender registries because “you have to really hate the guy to make him suffer for the rest of his life, even when his prison time is up.”

“So you have a guy who committed a crime,” Conditt wrote. “ Will putting him on a list make it better? Wouldn’t this only make people shun him, keep him from getting a job, and making friends? Just for a crime that he may have committed over 15 years ago as a adolescent?”

In his anti-abortion and gay marriage posts, Conditt argued that women should only have sex if they can provide for a child and that it was “not natural” for people of the same gender to be together.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/21/bomber-ma ... egistries/
American Dream

Postby elfismiles » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:04 pm

Alex Jones Was A Target? Reddit User Claims He’s Austin Bomber
By Luke Rohlfing - Mar 21, 2018

In a weird turn of events, someone claiming to be the Austin bomber posted a thread on Reddit, asking users to “ask him anything.” In one of replies he alluded that a bomb that detonated in a FedEx shipping center was meant to be delivered to talk show host Alex Jones.

The user who went by the handle “austinbomber” stated that the package “may have been on its way to a very prolific radio talk show host who happens to live in Austin.” When another Reddit user responded asking “Alex Jones?”, the initial poster responded “Possibly. C:”.

While it is unclear if the poster is indeed the real Austin bomber, local police, who are investigating the post, have not denied the possibility. The poster’s account has been suspended on Reddit, and all of his posts were deleted, but Big League Politics has an archive of the thread, which can be viewed by clicking here.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/alex-jone ... in-bomber/
elfismiles

Postby liminalOyster » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:05 pm

elfismiles » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:04 pm wrote:
Alex Jones Was A Target? Reddit User Claims He’s Austin Bomber
By Luke Rohlfing - Mar 21, 2018

In a weird turn of events, someone claiming to be the Austin bomber posted a thread on Reddit, asking users to “ask him anything.” In one of replies he alluded that a bomb that detonated in a FedEx shipping center was meant to be delivered to talk show host Alex Jones.

The user who went by the handle “austinbomber” stated that the package “may have been on its way to a very prolific radio talk show host who happens to live in Austin.” When another Reddit user responded asking “Alex Jones?”, the initial poster responded “Possibly. C:”.

While it is unclear if the poster is indeed the real Austin bomber, local police, who are investigating the post, have not denied the possibility. The poster’s account has been suspended on Reddit, and all of his posts were deleted, but Big League Politics has an archive of the thread, which can be viewed by clicking here.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/alex-jone ... in-bomber/

What do you think? The discrepancy between his 2012 blog and the diction of the Reddit posts strikes me as hard to believe. But it may be a reasonable expectation between the ages of 18/24.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby American Dream » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:52 pm

I've known homeschooled kids who knew how to grow a chili pepper and roll a joint better than most adults.

Why oh why am I thinking Conduit was not that kind of kid?

https://texasbuddha.wordpress.com/2008/ ... r-archive/
American Dream

Postby elfismiles » Fri May 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Had been intending to post about other 'nearby' CenTex mystery packages / bombs ... and now this:

Package detonates outside Texas church weeks after unexploded bomb found in the same city (VIDEO)
By Jason Hanna, Nicole Chavez and Joe Sutton, CNN
Updated 10:17 AM ET, Fri May 11, 2018

(CNN)A package exploded this week outside an Episcopal church in the southeastern Texas city of Beaumont, police said, just two weeks after a package bomb was found and rendered safe outside a coffee shop in the same city.

The exploded package detonated on the front steps of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church between Wednesday evening and Thursday morning, when the church's rector arrived and discovered the damage, the Rt. Rev. C. Andrew Doyle, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas, said in a statement.

"We are very blessed that no one was injured," the rector, the Rev. Steven Balke, said in a separate statement released by the Episcopal Diocese of Texas. "We appreciate everyone's prayers at this time. It has made everyone very nervous.

The explosion caused minor damage to the building, Beaumont police said.

The blast was discovered two weeks after police said a package bomb was found, but did not explode, outside a Starbucks in Beaumont, about 2 miles northwest of the church.

In the April 26 incident, a package was discovered outside the Starbucks in the early morning, and a worker moved it inside the store. While trying to open the package, the worker noticed a note, and took the package back outside before contacting police, authorities said. Police didn't reveal the contents of the note.

Investigators determined the package was an explosive device, and bomb technicians rendered it safe, police said.
The two incidents come weeks after a series of package bombings terrorized people in and near the Texas cities of Austin and San Antonio.

Police say Mark Anthony Conditt, 23, made seven bombs, some of which killed two people and wounded several others in Austin and near San Antonio over three weeks in March. He killed himself with one of his bombs as police approached his vehicle March 21, police said.

Police said Thursday the Beaumont incidents are under investigation, but they wouldn't comment about whether they are related or whether investigators have identified intended victims, a motive or a suspect or suspects.
FBI agents and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are assisting police in the investigation.

At a news conference Thursday, Beaumont police Chief James Singletary asked members of the public to call 911 if they see a package they feel is suspicious.

"We want you to be vigilant, and we want you to be careful and do not handle anything suspicious," Singletary said.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/11/us/texas ... index.html

Austin bombing suspect walked away from faith, used gay dating app, investigators say
Jackie Wang, Austin Bureau

AUSTIN — Authorities have found that the Austin bombing suspect may have been struggling with his sexuality before two people were killed and four injured in attacks across the city.

The March bombing spree ended after Mark Conditt, a 23-year-old Pflugerville resident, detonated an explosive in his car, killing himself. Investigators trying to determine a motive, the Austin American-Statesman reported Thursday, discovered that Conditt had used Grindr, a gay dating app for men.

Conditt, who was home-schooled, told his deeply religious family at 18 that he was an atheist, the Statesman reported. Sierra Jane Davis, a transgender woman who grew up in the same home-school community as Conditt and knew him, told the newspaper that coming out would have been difficult in his family and social circles.

Conditt's family declined to comment.

Conditt condemned homosexuality in a blog post he maintained for a government class at Austin Community College.

"Homosexuality is not natural," he wrote a month before his 18th birthday. "I do not believe it is proper to pass laws stating that homosexuals have 'rights.' What about pedophilia or bestiality?"

Because the two people killed in the bombings were black, officials investigated race as a motive. Anthony Stephan House, 39, was killed by a package bomb left on his doorstep in northeast Austin on March 2. Draylen Mason was killed 10 days later. Mason, 17, was a gifted musician who'd been accepted to the University of Texas at Austin's Butler School of Music. His mother was injured in the package bomb blast that killed her son.

Three others were also injured — Esperanza Herrera, 75, who likely received one of the bomber's packages in error, and two men in their 20s who were caught in a blast set off by a tripwire.

Authorities are confident in ruling out racism as a motive, as well as politics or links to international terrorism, the Statesman reported.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2 ... gators-say
elfismiles

Previous

Return to General Discussion