Should RI have a breaking news forum and rename Data Dump?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Poll ended at Wed May 02, 2018 6:27 pm

RI should have a breaking news forum and rename Data Dump.
53%
RI should not have a breaking news forum and not rename Data Dump.
11%
RI should have a breaking news forum, but not rename Data Dump.
16%
RI should not have a breaking news forum, but should rename Data Dump.
16%
Other (please explain)
5%

Total votes : 19

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:27 pm

After reviewing some of the interaction on the Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion thread, I think one of the more positive developments of discussing the issue of copypasta and the ways to alleviate excessive use is the idea of altering board forums to facilitate the discussion of breaking news. Personally, I've always felt that we should have had such a forum since the inception of this board. I've also felt a personal reticence to wander into a forum called a "Dump" which was reminiscent to me of a previous discussion board I participated on that referred to a much derided forum as a "Dungeon." So I approve wholeheartedly of the requests to rename the Data Dump something a bit more respectful to facilitate better usage such as "In Depth Investigative Research" or "Cutting Edge Investigative Research" or "Data Archive" or "Research Archive Forum."

Unfortunately, since 82_28 and I are moderators and not administrators, we cannot make it so. But I would prefer a democratic consensus anyway, hence this poll. I'll check on this poll in a week and if it seems the majority of members want this change, I'll start another poll asking what names you want to give the forum(s). Once we have reached a consensus on that, either 82_28 or I will notify Jeff. If Jeff is amenable to making this change (his board, his decision) then he will make it so.

"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Should RI have a breaking news forum and rename Data Dum

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Would General Discussion remain as is? Or would General Discussion be renamed “Breaking News” or something like that?

How do we define a quorum?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:34 pm

Luther Blissett » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:32 pm wrote:Would General Discussion remain as is? Or would General Discussion be renamed “Breaking News” or something like that?

How do we define a quorum?

General Discussion would remain as is!!!

Sorry if that was confusing.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:49 pm

Luther Blissett » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:32 pm wrote:How do we define a quorum?

In reference to this poll, whichever choice gets the most votes wins.

And again, there will be no changes to General Discussion.

Should we put an expiration on when voting will be "closed"? Probably so. Hell, let's vote about that too!

Like this time next Monday April 9th?
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Generally speaking, General Discussion has near always been considered to be a "breaking news" forum. The Data Dump should remain as it is.

Thoughtful people long ago created our many different Subject Forums. Perhaps we should focus more there than in GD, at least for fitting subjects.

I think everyone who's complaining to rearrange the furniture should instead tidy up their own acts and their reactions to the acts of others.
Iamwhomiam

Postby 82_28 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Oh nevermind, I see it "May 2nd".
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby peartreed » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:03 pm

The problem with a “Breaking News” forum would be the subjectivity behind deciding what was breaking news and what wasn’t. Much like CNN, where every development and news item is introduced as breaking news, the phrase becomes a meaningless catch-all just for hype. A new BN Forum would soon fill up fast.

If we separate out real breaking news into a separate forum, at what point does its discussion return to the regular forum? Wouldn’t we just be splitting a subject up?

I prefer to look in one place for one subject and its follow-up developments as they occur. I think different opinions on what constitutes breaking news would cause confusion, as would the search for the same subject matter in multiple places.

Since most news starts as breaking news anyway, before it becomes regular news follow-up and elaboration as new developments warrant further exposure, I suspect all the current topics – or most of them – would have been moved to Breaking News at the outset. So, will moderators move that news to “Regular Stale” Discussion later? Or will Jeff have to come back as Administrator to do the daily clerical chores?

Let’s just leave the forum as is and retitle Data Dump to something less noxious.
peartreed

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:11 pm

stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:49 pm wrote:
Luther Blissett » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:32 pm wrote:How do we define a quorum?

In reference to this poll, whichever choice gets the most votes wins.

And again, there will be no changes to General Discussion.

Should we put an expiration on when voting will be "closed"? Probably so. Hell, let's vote about that too!

Like this time next Monday April 9th?

Wins what, exactly?

If that's your method for choosing, by poll, it is unfair. I do not participate in online polls. But I have shared my opinion with all in my previous comment.

Why do you, a moderator, who's supposed to be impartial, get to pick the poll questions?
Iamwhomiam

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:18 pm

peartreed » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:03 pm wrote:The problem with a “Breaking News” forum would be the subjectivity behind deciding what was breaking news and what wasn’t. Much like CNN, where every development and news item is introduced as breaking news, the phrase becomes a meaningless catch-all just for hype. A new BN Forum would soon fill up fast.

If we separate out real breaking news into a separate forum, at what point does its discussion return to the regular forum? Wouldn’t we just be splitting a subject up?

I prefer to look in one place for one subject and its follow-up developments as they occur. I think different opinions on what constitutes breaking news would cause confusion, as would the search for the same subject matter in multiple places.

Since most news starts as breaking news anyway, before it becomes regular news follow-up and elaboration as new developments warrant further exposure, I suspect all the current topics – or most of them – would have been moved to Breaking News at the outset. So, will moderators move that news to “Regular Stale” Discussion later? Or will Jeff have to come back as Administrator to do the daily clerical chores?

Let’s just leave the forum as is and retitle Data Dump to something less noxious.

What we need, then, is a TRUMP/RUSSIA sub-forum, and then an ANTIFA sub-forum. Problem solved. Throw in a "Breaking News" sub-forum as well, though given activity on this board since 2016, it will likely remain relatively stagnant compared to the TRUMP/RUSSIA and/or ANTIFA sub-forums.
General Discussion can go back to the halcyon days of quirk, woo, philosophy, esoterica, emerging tech, oddities, deep politics and intriguing related theories, books and movies of interest, etc, etc...
Belligerent Savant

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:21 pm

General Discussion can go back to the halcyon days of quirk, woo, philosophy, esoterica, emerging tech, oddities, deep politics and intriguing related theories, books and movies of interest, etc, etc...

What is stopping that from happening now?

Who is to decide what is deep politics?

What's the time limit on LBN ....after 2 weeks a story can be posted in GD?

Nothing from GD will be moved to LBN?

please review first page of GD
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:29 pm

A cleanghouse/aggregate of MSM clippings does not equate to "deep politics", in my view. RUSSIA/TRUMP has consumed GD like a virus -- little room for anything else.

In any event, you replied before I had a chance to edit my comment with,

"I've no objection/not invested enough to object with with whatever is decided (though I voted for the first option: 'RI should have a breaking news forum and rename Data Dump.')"

Further to that point, I would have been best served simply avoiding a reply at all. A bit of a habit I've acquired of late: replying when I should simply abstain.

Gotta correct that. Starting now.
Belligerent Savant

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:30 pm

what there is a limit of space in GD....I did not know that

I've never run up on no room available ...try again later :D

please review first page of GD

plenty of different topics

I'm not sure how LBN is going to satisfy you even though I am in favor of a new LBN under General Discussion and Exchange
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Burnt Hill » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Minor point but I much prefer "current events" to "breaking news".
Burnt Hill

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:53 pm

peartreed » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:03 pm wrote:

Thank you for bringing this point up, peartreed. As mods, we are able to move a thread topic from one forum to another. So if the majority of members decide that they do want a Breaking News Forum and a news story outlasts its "Breaking" status in time but not its interest level with members, I think on a case-by-case basis we could take a request to move an especially popular thread from the news forum to the "Regular Stale" as you put it. Certainly if there had been a Breaking News forum in 2013, I'm sure the Boston Bombing story would have been one of the threads that started there and would have been moved to GD.

I'm not sure if the criteria to move it should be days after posting (30?) or number of pages to the thread (10?) Also, I think the original poster should have some say on when or where it's moved. This is fruitful ground for discussion!
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:19 pm

SLaD
Jeff
82_28
8bitagent
liminalOyster
MacCruiskeen
Belligerent Savant
American Dream
Morty
Elvis
stillrobertpaulsen
Jerky
even Nordic has an OP on page 6 :D

Of course I have my share .......sorry that this subject even had to be brought up

these people recently have all started trump/russia OPs in GD and it is not helpful to this discussion by accusing them of spreading a virus

There are 35 interesting non trump/Russia OPs on the front page right now and I think that is great

Belligerent Savant » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:29 pm wrote:.
A cleanghouse/aggregate of MSM clippings does not equate to "deep politics", in my view. RUSSIA/TRUMP has consumed GD like a virus -- little room for anything else.
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Next

Return to General Discussion