5G: The Birth of Skynet?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

5G: The Birth of Skynet?

Postby Blue » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:54 pm

So I don’t know much about this technology but from what I’ve read the step from 4G to 5G seems huge and worrisome because it includes so many untested technologies including millimeter wave tech used for military non-lethal (pain) crowd control.

Small cells (hah, with refrigerator sized boxes) on every lamp post, telephone pole and building, massive MIMO which increases the number of antennae ports from 12 to 100 on those 90 foot towers, beam forming and full duplex. Gah.

Maybe some of these improvements are good for faster connections and keeping up with all the new crap connected to the internet like driverless cars (expanding sooner than you think), washers and pet feeders (i.e. stupid shit) but it sounds like something Skynet would do.

Here’s a couple of articles:

https://steemit.com/health/@sensistar/5g-the-same-frequencies-used-for-pain-inflicting-crowd-control-weapons-form-the-foundation-of-the-network-that-will-tie-together

More recently the $25 million National Toxicology Program concluded that radio frequency radiation of the type currently used by cell phones can cause cancer.

But where does 5G fit into all this? Given that 5G is set to utilize frequencies above and below existing frequency bands 5G sits in the middle of all this. But the tendency (it varies from country to country) is for 5G to utilize the higher frequency bands. Which brings it’s own particular concerns. Here is my review of the studies done to date – 11 reasons to be concerned.

LIVE TESTING ALREADY BEGUN
AT&T have announced the availability of their 5G Evolution in Austin, Texas. 5G Evolution allows Samsung S8 and S8 + users access to faster speeds. This is part of AT&T’s plan to lay the 5G foundation while the standards are being finalized. This is expected to happen in late 2018. AT&T has eyes on 19 other metropolitan areas such as Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, Atlanta, San Francisco and so on. Indianapolis is up next on their 5G trail due to arrive in the summer.
Qualcomm has already demonstrated a 5G antenna system with about 27 decibel gain. According to ABI Research, is “about 10 to 12 more db than a typical cellular base station antenna.” Not a good sign.
Many more private sector companies such as HTC, Oracle, Sprint, T-Mobile are playing a role in the developing of testing platforms by contributing time, knowledge or money.

Millimeter Waves Enhance Military Projects

Note figure 5. And it’s not just a fear of the military aiming their weapons on US citizens but hackers just having a good time aiming them that makes this sound like a bad idea.
Blue

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 5G: The Birth of Skynet?

Postby DrEvil » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:28 pm

A couple of things:

There are some serious issues with the National Toxicology Program study.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/02 ... er-claims/

The area denial thingamajig operates at 95GHz, while 5G operates at 26, 28, 38, and 60 GHz. Not sure what the difference would be, but I would also suspect that the military version requires way more power than anything you can squeeze out of a small base station.

I'm more concerned about the total surveillance aspect of this, coupled with the complete clusterfuck that is "security" in embedded devices. It's hard enough to get people to update their phones and computers. How hard is it going to be to get them to do it with the washer and the toaster and the coffee maker and the baby monitor and.... ?

Not that I'm very concerned about hackers burning my toast, but in a fully Internet of Thing-ified home hackers could turn on every appliance at once and blow a fuse, or worst case make something catch on fire in the middle of the night while also disabling the "smart" smoke alarm. Fun times ahead.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Blue » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Okay, take the amplified EMF's affect on human health. Long term studies would be the norm right and this stuff is brand new being pushed out there without any studies. Kind of like the unlabeled GMO food being put in the grocery stores. Why do it in secrecy? Not democratic at all.

I don't think surveillance is an issue since the populace has already rushed to put Echo in their bedrooms.
Blue

Postby DrEvil » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:10 pm

I'm not trying to discount all this radiation having an effect on human health, especially if they start placing tons of small base stations everywhere, just pointing out that the specific study referenced has some serious issues.

As for GMOs, I'm one of those horrible people who think it's nothing to worry about, but that's for another thread.

I agree that the idea of privacy that we (we as in people who remember what it was like before the internet and smart phones) have has mostly gone on the trash heap of history. People growing up today can't remember a time when everything wasn't connected and have completely different expectations about privacy. I'm not sure it's possible to reverse that trend. The best we can hope for is sensible laws and strict enforcement.

Whatever you do, don't get a Bixby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsJlT53jU_4
DrEvil

Postby Grizzly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:31 am

Scientists have found a way to photograph people in 3D through walls using Wi-Fi
http://www.businessinsider.com/wifi-cam ... lls-2017-5
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Elvis » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:40 am

The TV that watches you is here, and it's only the beginning.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby dada » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:42 am

I'm not worried about skynet. It will solve all problems of human inequality. Under human control, the digital divide only increases. Sooner the controls are taken out of the hands of the technocrats, the better.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Blue » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:13 pm

And then there's Governor Cuomo's corporate welfare gift to telecom (which I see was recently defeated).

If you'd have an issue with a telecom company installing a 5G cell facility outside your home, your office or your child's school, a provision added to Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo's state budget should make you take notice. Currently, each municipality regulates whether cellphone antennae are allowed in public areas, and the industry must negotiate fees and zoning regulations in each jurisdiction.

They've been lobbying for easier access via the federal and state levels for some time, but so far such measures haven't advanced. Cuomo's provision, however, would usurp municipalities' authority, instead granting authority to decide on cell tower locations on utility poles, streetlights, arenas and college campuses to the state. Each cell "facility" could include equipment such as electric meters, cables and refrigerator-sized boxes installed near the base of poles.6 Verizon, not surprisingly, endorsed the measure, saying in a statement:7

"Verizon supports the governor's proposal to establish a uniform small cell siting process that appropriately balances the community's desire for the latest, fastest wireless technology with the interests of local governments in retaining control over the deployment of structures and the use of rights of way … This measure will promote private investment in state-of-the-art telecommunications networks at no cost to taxpayers."

Yet, opponents state the provision basically gives away access to the industry, charging just $20 per installation while the market rate is about $2,000. Peter Baynes of the New York Conference of Mayors, told Newsday the proposal basically "requires local taxpayers to subsidize industry's installation of these devices," adding "'Sure, they want it cheaper and easier, but when it involves the public right of way, public safety' and community aesthetics, locals should have a say."8

https://www.telecompowergrab.org/

• This is not about bringing broadband to underserved communities. This is not about improving cell phone reception. This massive build-out of wireless infrastructure is to enable telecom companies to blast their signals into private homes and apartments to compete with cable companies.

• While installing more wireless infrastructure may be a goal of the telecom industry, it is not a necessary public service, and the State should not allow any industry to bypass local zoning regulations or discretionary review.

• Nor should private interests be permitted to use public or private property for their own financial gain without compensating property owners.

• Long-term exposure to microwave radiation has not been proven safe. Proximity is a key factor in elevating risk. Studies have shown that exposure to typical levels of microwave radiation can have significant biological effects. (See our page on Science). You do not want a massive cluster of 5G antennas near your home or office.

PS: Pretty funny Bixby review, Dr. Evil! She sounds like Sarah from Eureka.
Blue

Postby DrEvil » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Eureka has been on my to-do list for ages. Downloading as I type.

If Bixby actually behaved like in that video I would consider getting one. Unfortunately it's just generally shitty.
Another thing I would really like to see is the ability to choose what name it responds to. "Hey shithead, put on some music". Voice packs would also be amazing. I'm not getting one until it sounds and acts like Bender.

As for 5G, it needs a lot more research before they start carpet bombing with base stations (but that research will take years so that's never gonna happen), but what they should focus on is to get fiber out to as many households as possible (preferably as locally owned non-profit utilities) and combine it with local-loop unbundling and strong net neutrality rules. I predict this will happen some time after Hell freezes over.
DrEvil

Return to General Discussion