Damn Kung Fu Kenny Got a Pulitzer

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Damn Kung Fu Kenny Got a Pulitzer

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:17 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmSyYEungx4

Compton Rap Artist Kendrick Lamar Makes History With Pulitzer Prize Win

Randall Roberts
Los Angeles Times

Their names are inked in history books and on the walls of hallowed concert halls as winners of American music's most esteemed award, the Pulitzer Prize for music: Aaron Copland, George Crumb, John Luther Adams, Ornette Coleman, Caroline Shaw and dozens more.

Add to that list the man nicknamed Kung Fu Kenny.

In news that caught many off guard, celebrated Compton, Calif.-born rapper Kendrick Lamar was awarded the Pulitzer on Monday for his work on his 2017 album "Damn." With the announcement, the committee praised Lamar's album as "a virtuosic song collection unified by its vernacular authenticity and rhythmic dynamism that offers affecting vignettes capturing the complexity of modern African-American life."

Translation: It's an amazing album that documents South L.A. black life with wildly accomplished beats and verses.

"He's an artist who challenges notions," said Ryan Coogler, director of the blockbuster hit "Black Panther," for which Lamar orchestrated and contributed music, during a recent interview. "One of the bigger themes in our film is this idea of, 'What does it mean to be African?' Kendrick in his music is very directly challenging that question."

To say that Lamar's honor was a shocker is an understatement. Historically, the Pulitzer committee has ignored so-called "vernacular" music in the category, favoring more furrow-browed, academic work. When the Pulitzer committee has honored non-classical work, it has most often done so by giving recipients what it calls "special awards and citations."

This year's finalists in the music category, selected by a five-person jury, were "Quartet" by Michael Gilbertson and "Sound From the Bench" by Ted Hearne.

"There's something to be said that a young man from Compton, who was raised in a low-income community, has been able to be true to his mode of expression," said Raj Frazier, an associate professor at the University of Southern California and the director of the Institute for Diversity and Empowerment at Annenberg.

"The fact that his music is being listened to and valued among the Pulitzer members — that it's being thought of in relation to those award winners of generations prior to him — means he'll be a name and a creator who's also referred to for those who are assessed and valued in the future," Frazier said.

Lamar follows another non-classical Pulitzer winner, Coleman, the experimental jazz pioneer who won in 2007 for "Sound Grammar." There is, perhaps, a connection, as Lamar's albums have been frequently cited as spearheading a jazz revival in Los Angeles, elevating players such as Kamasi Washington, Terrace Martin and Robert Glasper to almost-pop stars, or at least crossover figures with wide, young audiences outside the traditional jazz market.

But Lamar is not merely the first rapper to earn the Pulitzer in music. He's the first honored musician who has landed a No. 1 album or gone platinum. To further illustrate the accomplishment, among those who haven't received the prize are Miles Davis, Nina Simone, Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, John Coltrane, Bruce Springsteen and Carole King. (Dylan and Coltrane have been given special citations.)

In a social media post reacting to the news, Terrence "Punch" Henderson, president of Lamar's label, Top Dawg Entertainment, bragged, "Pulitzer Prize winner K-dot from Compton. I bet not ever hear one of you ... speak with anything less than respect in your mouth for Kendrick Lamar."

Lamar retweeted the above comment but has yet to make a statement of his own. The artist and representatives from Top Dawg were not available for comment.

"The award will also serve as an inspiration for creators who never would have imagined this for themselves," said USC's Frazier. "To now think, 'Oh, that's possible. It's feasible that I'll be valued in this kind of space, that my name will be mentioned alongside of other Pulitzer winners in other forms of the arts, whether it be fiction or journalism.' I think that's huge."

Lamar's Pulitzer accolade comes at a time when hip-hop culture has become mainstream culture. In 2017, for instance, the combined genres of R&B and hip-hop proved to be the most consumed music in the U.S. for the first time in history, according to Nielsen Music.

Hip-hop has gone on to inform many aspects of popular American art; it punctuates the film "Black Panther" and infuses acclaimed TV shows such as "Atlanta" and "The Chi," not to mention the Broadway sensation "Hamilton." This year's Grammys also focused heavily on hip-hop in its nominations, where "Damn" was up for, but lost, album of the year.

Lamar's lyrical hip-hop has long been uniquely focused on his home city. Whether on tracks including "Backseat Freestyle," "Keisha's Song (Her Pain)" or "Money Trees," or in the videos for songs such as "Compton State of Mind" (a riff on Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind"), "King Kunta" and "i," Lamar locates his creative world in the area in which he was raised.

Like the best writers, Lamar pinpoints small moments that illustrate larger points, in his case the kind that springboard into documentary narratives about home and history, about dangers lurking and the power of anger. Like classic L.A. chroniclers such as Iceberg Slim, John Fante, Joan Didion and James Ellroy, Lamar imbues a sense of place into his lines.

"Black Panther" director Coogler describes Lamar as possessing "an integrity to him that crosses demographics and it crosses different ages. When you hear him you feel like he's being truthful. You feel like you're scratching at a certain type of personal truth."

The rapper's 2012 mixtape, "Compton State of Mind," locates Rosecrans Avenue by name as he describes being on the street chilling, eating "five dollar Little Caesar" and food from when "mama shopped at Food for Less." Centennial High School, he raps, "had me swimming with a pool of sharks — me I'm just a good kid trying to keep it neutral / But I'm well aware that a square can get shot too."

His "good kid, m.A.A.d. city," released in 2012 and nominated for a Grammy album of the year, went deeper into the city's psyche, and his own. He describes witnessing at age 9 a gangbanger "with his brains blown out at the same burger stand where beep hang out."

The 2015 album "To Pimp a Butterfly" brought him a whole new audience as it connected past, present and future. Experimenting with Afro-futurism and collaborating with such wide-ranging jazz-influenced artists including Martin and Washington, as well as the producer Thundercat, the album was an expansive look at the African-American experience in California.

Lamar's success, however, has led him to bemoan his disconnect from the streets where his most crucial lyrics were born. He acknowledged this struggle in a July 2017 interview with comedian Dave Chappelle for Interview magazine.

"verything was moving so fast. I didn't know how to digest it," Lamar said. "The best thing I did was go back to the city of Compton, to touch the people who I grew up with and tell them the stories of the people I met around the world."

That desire for familiarity, noted Los Angeles Times' pop music critic Mikael Wood in a review of Lamar's appearance at Coachella in 2017, stands to reason: "A vivid through-line on 'Damn' is Lamar's sense of being under attack, his stardom having made him a specific target for the media — early on the album he samples a bit of critical punditry from Fox News — and even for friends and family, as he observes in the anguished 'Feel.' 'Ain't nobody prayin' for me,' he mutters ..."

Another track, "DNA," sets part of its story at the western edge of Rosecrans near the beach. Lamar raps of having "loyalty, royalty inside my DNA" while "dodging paparazzi, freakin' through the cameras."

Those attempting to glean meaning from printed Lamar lyrics, however, are doing it wrong. Lamar earned his award for music, and to assess his words on their own — without his sublime musicality and rhythms that drive his thoughts — misses the point.

Only with focus and volume can one truly tap into Lamar's vibrations, but even then, says Coogler, "You come away from it with more questions than answers somehow."
https://www.alternet.org/culture/compto ... -prize-win

Kendrick Lamar Wins Pulitzer Prize for Music

With 'DAMN.,' rapper becomes first non-classical or jazz artist to receive award

Kendrick Lamar has received the Pulitzer Prize for Music for his 2017 LP, 'DAMN.,' becoming the first non-classical or jazz artist to win the award. Katie Jones/Variety/REX Shutterstock
Kendrick Lamar has won the Pulitzer Prize for Music for his album, DAMN., becoming the first non-classical or jazz artist to receive the honor. The Pulitzer board announced the selection on Monday, calling the 2017 LP "a virtuosic song collection unified by its vernacular authenticity and rhythmic dynamism that offers affecting vignettes capturing the complexity of modern African American life."

DAMN. is Lamar's fourth studio album, the latest in a series of acclaimed and sonically eclectic records. The LP, which has reached double-platinum sales status, was nominated for Album of the Year and won Best Rap Album at this year's ceremony.

Last August, Lamar spoke to Rolling Stone about his creative mindset behind DAMN. "The initial goal was to make a hybrid of my first two commercial albums," he said. "That was our total focus, how to do that sonically, lyrically, through melody – and it came out exactly how I heard it in my head. … It's all pieces of me. My musicality has been driving me since I was four years old. It's just pieces of me, man, and how I execute it is the ultimate challenge. Going from To Pimp a Butterfly to DAMN., that shit could have crashed and burned if it wasn't executed right. So I had to be real careful on my subject matter and how I weave in and out of the topics, where it still organically feels like me."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... ic-w519219
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

High level psychological warfare against African-Americans?

Postby Heaven Swan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:33 am

Is this award proof of high level psychological warfare against African-Americans?

A couple of the MK Ultra survivors I interviewed mentioned well-funded operations to manipulate the population through music. From what I've heard of Kendrick Lamar he glorifies gangs, killing, disrespecting and abusing women...the whole nine yards, and through his music promotes violence and hatred. (I admit that I've only heard the Pulitzer winning CD though)

I don't know how or if it's possible to embed this archived radio program, but I'll give the link info. In the program an NYC Black American activist named Bob Law speaks about the damage this music is doing and how his group is fighting against it. Highly recommended listen.

I think you'll have to search in the archive for the specific program and date.

The show name and date are:

Global Beat/Global Black Experience
Fri, Apr 13, 2018 6:00 PM

https://www.wbai.org/archive.php
"When IT reigns, I’m poor.” Mario
Heaven Swan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Damn Kung Fu Kenny Got a Pulitzer

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:33 pm

Is this award proof of high level psychological warfare against African-Americans?

no Kendrick's art accurately reflects the life he experienced (high level psychological warfare against African-Americans)

FWIIW

any way that's what this old white lady thinks remembering the 60's :)
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Re: High level psychological warfare against African-America

Postby Laodicean » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Heaven Swan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:33 pm wrote:Is this award proof of high level psychological warfare against African-Americans?

A couple of the MK Ultra survivors I interviewed mentioned well-funded operations to manipulate the population through music. From what I've heard of Kendrick Lamar he glorifies gangs, killing, disrespecting and abusing women...the whole nine yards, and through his music promotes violence and hatred. (I admit that I've only heard the Pulitzer winning CD though)

I don't know how or if it's possible to embed this archived radio program, but I'll give the link info. In the program an NYC Black American activist named Bob Law speaks about the damage this music is doing and how his group is fighting against it. Highly recommended listen.

Last edited by Laodicean on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:43 pm

hip hop ed movement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX6E8Fo1ovo

On Monday, rapper Kendrick Lamar became the first non-classical or jazz musician to ever win a Pulitzer Prize for Music. Lamar has topped the charts with music that tackles issues of race, politics, religion and even mental health. The Pulitzer follows the five Grammy Awards won by Lamar in January for ”DAMN.,” his fourth studio album. His previous album, “To Pimp a Butterfly,” also won five Grammys. Lamar recently produced and curated the soundtrack for the “Black Panther” film to critical acclaim. We speak to a high school teacher in New Jersey who uses Lamar’s recordings in his classroom.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Laodicean » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Laodicean

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:12 pm

The clarity, I got my clarity just studying Eminem when I was a kid.

https://www.gq.com/story/kendrick-lamar ... -interview

picture on my wall

it's not so bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUFLqYETZm4

make some mutha fuckin noise
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby The Consul » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Well ok keep dreaming my "black" grandson asks me what kinda racist my dad musta been, I said that's a mighty be brush you just pulled outta your can, he was prejudice maybe but not racists you know the kinda guy rooted for Sonny Liston over Cassius Clay but came to appreciate. You know I told him take everyone at face to face value when you can, and your great grandpa had to fight crakers who called him a N lover cause he let black guys sleep in his tent back there in N Africa, and funny thing was first black person I got to know had the same first name as me and he told me shit I could not quite believe, you know, I'm like thinking, come on man he's making this shit up, yes, it's true the otherwise all white crew at the wood processing plant did everything they could to fuck him up so they wouldn't have to hire another poc for at least a year, and now my son and law jokes w me saying "anybody you know ever get pulled over for drivin' while being white?" But seriously, everybody he knows has. Big difference now is he works on an otherwise all white construction crew and nobody pulls that shit anymore.so things have gotten better, and maybe it's only in that Malcolm X kinda way where the knife that was in 9 inches is only in six now. And no I cant say I don't do it for the gram I do it for the Compton but I can approximate the vibe. All this Bull-shit is systematic. You know it is Half a million people dead, 20 million outta their homes over a pipeline aint never gonna be built. That's whatcha gotta get used to now, realizing they gonna throw whoever they have to down the hole to keep control. Right down to it, more slaves & hungry bellies than there ever was. Lifestyles of the rich and famous, can't get out of the red zone, not equipped to handle fame, oh, a million artillery shells, we understand, half a dozen poison cannisters, outrage! No you won't hear me singing I do it for the Compton, I can approximate what it means, but I won't never know how it feels.
Peace
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Laodicean » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:04 pm

The Consul up in this, ya heard?
Laodicean

Return to General Discussion