Friendly Generic Board Improvement Suggestions

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Friendly Generic Board Improvement Suggestions

Postby liminalOyster » Sun May 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Please drop "Current Events" at least below GD. From a design (and ergonomic) standpoint, it's poor form to add new content piecemeal (IOW outside of a thought-through redesign) and esp to replace long-existing links with others in their same place.

ps. I think the cultural war is more like a national stage version of the Stanford experiment meets Fear Factor - Just how far will our contestants cheer authoritarianism and propaganda * so long as it's on their side.?* Let's find out!
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun May 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Briefly driving by to echo the sentiments of JRiddler, Rory, alloneword, & liminalOyster (and surely others who've yet to reply here), and also to offer my thumbs up to the following astute piece of satire:

ps. I think the cultural war is more like a national stage version of the Stanford experiment meets Fear Factor - Just how far will our contestants cheer authoritarianism and propaganda * so long as it's on their side.?* Let's find out!
Belligerent Savant

Postby alloneword » Mon May 14, 2018 5:28 am

JackRiddler » Sun May 13, 2018 10:52 pm wrote:Then again, some people could actually respond to the popular-among-members demands, to stop flooding the board with new threads on old topics and stop repeating the same copy-pastes.

I think it's fairly clear at this point that they could, but they won't. So you have to ask yourself: Why do they do it? What's the pay-off for them? Or more to the point: What can I do to limit that pay-off? ...you know what I'm going to suggest.

JackRiddler » Sun May 13, 2018 10:52 pm wrote:Generally: Hide thread would do wonders. Ignore just doesn't go far enough.

Yes, a 'hide thread' function would be wonderful, But it's not going to happen, since it's not technically feasible.

Even if such a phpbb board modification existed - to the best of my knowledge, it still doesn't - implementing it would present it's own set of problems (e.g. when the main code base is updated).

One failing of the 'ignore' function is that quoted text is still visible. I used to use a mozilla add-on for vbulletin called 'total ignore' that solved this problem neatly, but I've found no equivalent for phpbb.

So the only solution to this is for people to stop quoting the crap-flooding - which they wouldn't be doing if they used the 'ignore' function. ;)

I'm not sure waving money at the mods is really appropriate - I don't recall seeing 82_28 and SRP offering to sell us slices of their lives (although I'm sure they appreciate the sentiment) - I'm sure they'd rather use their limited time on this planet doing other things, preferring not to have it taken up policing this place at all.
alloneword

Postby 82_28 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:33 am

Sorry alloneword, but I liked this sentence:

I guess the 'max characters per post' setting in 'post settings' is currently set to 'unlimited'... most boards set a limit, I always thought it odd that there was no limit here, but can fully understand why that might be.
-- said "alloneword".

I have been away for most of the week and honestly, I feel stupid having to even say such a thing, but like a high school band, we know our chairs. Perhaps we have no conductor, but he/she took the month off but gave us the sheet music to follow. We can all play and none are judged when there isn't the instructor handy. The chairs don't get moved around. (When I played the trumpet I coveted the first chair but always played second because he practiced and I didn't -- I have no idea what the other seven dudes were doing because I didn't care). My point is, we all have interests. Do we want the band/orchestra to sound good not just to ourselves but to a visiting entity as well? Is our role only to make others feel something they did not intend to feel before they shared words on our screens out of the goodness of their souls and never do so again? Of course not! Use your fucking heads. If out of the graciousness of your graciousness you allow the likes of me to "moderate you", then it's on you. All I can tell you is that I believe in no rules outside of the Golden Rule. Pretty much that's it.

I would definitely be in jail if I had kids because probably my imaginary vintage 80s liquor cabinet would have been raided and watered down by noon. Have at it. If you ever get any "punishment" it's because you were being a dick or were deemed "dangerous".

In other words, nobody controls you. They say writers should/must know their audience. Well, it's built in here. Act like you care even if you don't. I care and that's why I do this for free now. I assume everyone else is like me.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby RocketMan » Mon May 14, 2018 7:10 am

Discussion on parapolitics, the paranormal and parapsychology not so much. They used to be very much in the DNA of this place and why I originally came here. I suspect it is true of others.

Oh well, I guess entropy is entropy.

I'm happy that the new mod team is at least tackling the situation in some manner. THANK YOU.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon May 14, 2018 12:56 pm

liminalOyster » Sun May 13, 2018 5:56 pm wrote:Please drop "Current Events" at least below GD. From a design (and ergonomic) standpoint, it's poor form to add new content piecemeal (IOW outside of a thought-through redesign) and esp to replace long-existing links with others in their same place.

Sorry, but I am personally giving that request a hard NO. This is a brand new forum that I think needs as a big of a spotlight as possible to give it every opportunity for success. I appreciate the fact that Jeff placed it that way.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby minime » Mon May 14, 2018 1:13 pm

stillrobertpaulsen » Mon May 14, 2018 10:56 am wrote:
liminalOyster » Sun May 13, 2018 5:56 pm wrote:Please drop "Current Events" at least below GD. From a design (and ergonomic) standpoint, it's poor form to add new content piecemeal (IOW outside of a thought-through redesign) and esp to replace long-existing links with others in their same place.

Sorry, but I am personally giving that request a hard NO. This is a brand new forum that I think needs as a big of a spotlight as possible to give it every opportunity for success. I appreciate the fact that Jeff placed it that way.

The current layout most closely matches literary and journalistic format. Headline/lead (Current Events), story/analysis (General Discussion), backstory/detail (Data and Research), with the feuilleton (Lounge) at the bottom. It'll grow on you. JMO.
minime

Postby Burnt Hill » Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 pm

Not when studying Trump.
His position and momentum exemplify parapolitics and parapsychology.
This man is considered the "leader of the free world", and is in the middle of incredible scandal.
The subject deserves all the attention it is given, maybe even more.
RocketMan wrote:Discussion on parapolitics, the paranormal and parapsychology not so much.

By the way, slad has brought plenty of paranormal and alternate history to the board. Others?
Not so much.

I can understand some of these childish complaints (not directed at rocketman), but to suggest that somehow slad is responsible for a lack of RI type info is a gigantic falsehood.

I will add great appreciation for srp's moderating style and action. He is certainly finding his feet and making smart decisions. Thank you!
Burnt Hill

Postby Burnt Hill » Mon May 14, 2018 1:27 pm

Excellent point minime.

minime wrote:The current layout most closely matches literary and journalistic format. Headline/lead (Current Events), story/analysis (General Discussion), backstory/detail (Data and Research), with the feuilleton (Lounge) at the bottom. It'll grow on you. JMO.
Burnt Hill

Postby American Dream » Mon May 14, 2018 1:33 pm

I personally favor moving the Current Events listing under Board Index a notch or two- not because of the themes there but just because the notation is not very meaningful. A listing like General Discussion where there is more change attracts the viewer's eye more, I believe.

Last edited by American Dream on Mon May 14, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Dream

Postby liminalOyster » Mon May 14, 2018 1:38 pm

StillRobertPaulsen wrote:Sorry, but I am personally giving that request a hard NO. This is a brand new forum that I think needs as a big of a spotlight as possible to give it every opportunity for success.

I understand your logic. But its the same or similar logic that I've periodically seen lead to user-base disasters.

From a purely functional perspective and an previous life in web design - it is essentially always bad form to suddenly shift page real estate to promote something "new," no matter how noble or exciting it may be to you. It is essentially always best form to build critical mass and acceptance and make a shift like that after announcing it in advance. This has been Google's protocol for almost two decades.Pushing stuff on people to promote it always seems to offend sensibilities no matter how subtly.

Given that this forum has been running for over a decade, there's a very ingrained basic physical habit to clicking in the same place on visit. Messing that up is exactly the kind of thing that drives users crazy and provokes ire, more of which is most likely not needed around here . And its almost always done in the name of thinking that the change will help "promote" something new and important. See years of failed Kinja redesigns and/or the level of ire the new Reddit desing is generating.

2c only.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby JackRiddler » Mon May 14, 2018 5:27 pm

liminalOyster » Mon May 14, 2018 12:38 pm wrote:
StillRobertPaulsen wrote:Sorry, but I am personally giving that request a hard NO. This is a brand new forum that I think needs as a big of a spotlight as possible to give it every opportunity for success.

I understand your logic. But its the same or similar logic that I've periodically seen lead to user-base disasters.

From a purely functional perspective and an previous life in web design - it is essentially always bad form to suddenly shift page real estate to promote something "new," no matter how noble or exciting it may be to you. It is essentially always best form to build critical mass and acceptance and make a shift like that after announcing it in advance. This has been Google's protocol for almost two decades.Pushing stuff on people to promote it always seems to offend sensibilities no matter how subtly.

Given that this forum has been running for over a decade, there's a very ingrained basic physical habit to clicking in the same place on visit. Messing that up is exactly the kind of thing that drives users crazy and provokes ire, more of which is most likely not needed around here . And its almost always done in the name of thinking that the change will help "promote" something new and important. See years of failed Kinja redesigns and/or the level of ire the new Reddit desing is generating.

2c only.

Yes, this exactly. I mean, why am I worked up about the trashing of Active Topics with a flood of superfluous daily news trifles (leaving aside the thread proliferation around the same limited set of issues)? I can just click on to GD, right? Except I have a reflex tendency after all these years - as do you all! - to go about it in the same way. Anyway, and now if I click on GD, oops, it's Daily NewsFun where GD was. There is no reason to force that change of the operating interface on us. And why does it need promotion? Let's face it, it was created as a stopgap measure to deal with an internal problem, not because there was specific demand. And it's not working. I wonder, is this supposed to be a publishing venture we're going to develop? I mean, who cares what order of sections the New York Times has? This is not the NYT. It should especially not be, I dunno, Buzzfeed or Huffpo or some such that it is descending into thanks to the irresponsiblity of those who don't want to rein in their thread proliferation and hang for throwing out every daily propaganda item under its own, usually odious, always slanted headline.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon May 14, 2018 6:23 pm

JackRiddler » Mon May 14, 2018 4:27 pm wrote:And it's not working.

And you're welcome to it. But it's here to stay and I like it where it is.

As for your "Active Topics" and "hide thread" suggestions, that is something where I think you have valid arguments, IMO. But being a moderator, I really have no idea how to implement them.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby RocketMan » Tue May 15, 2018 7:52 am

stillrobertpaulsen » Mon May 14, 2018 8:27 pm wrote:Please delete this, Rocket Man. I specifically locked a previous OP that engaged in this kind of baiting, but your post is worse, especially with that loaded question.

Well, can't do diddly about this anymore, feel free to delete it with your mod privileges.

Just frustrated. But yeah, not wading in this again, ok.

Done.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue May 15, 2018 8:07 am

a friendly reminder since it seems some are too busy complaining to notice issues are being addressed

there is only one SLaD trump thread on the front page of GD, that will remain the case from now on

......check

I have stated previously I will no longer cut and paste articles in anyone else's threads unless I have their permission or it has been the norm in the thread for years

.......check

there is a new forum where I will post news stories so to not flood GD with stuff that is of interest to me

.......check

any other complaints about me that have not been addressed?

don't get your hopes up I think I am done compromising

although this thread really wasn't about me anyway was it? :wink:

oh and did someone ask about a limit on the maximum number of allowed characters in a post?......yes there is one...trust me I have gone over it and a warning was shown :)

The maximum number of allowed characters is 119999.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion